Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default time frame for Auto fan ?

hello people ,
    i read a lot about disadvantages of direct fan so i went to my auto electrician and ask him to change my direct fan to auto he wasnt in the favour of doing that but when i insist he have done it saying sir jee hamari weather me direct fan he chalta he anyways what i have noticed that my auto fan kicked off after 10 minutes atleast and when it starts car is heated a lot so i went back to electrician and ask him to check the switch he checked it and said switch is fine normally auto fan takes certain heat to kicked in and its normally when your needle is on half mark now my main concern is car gets heated and fan didnt start till half mark is it normal for auto fan i mean if its normal than its a fair chance of burning gasket because when i checked the hose pipe and radiator cap it was burning and auto fan didnt start so can some one please share your experience about auto fan timings and how long it takes to kicked in and is it ok till than to run engine and for gasket .
    regards
    No Man is Worth your tears , and the one who is , Wont make you Cry ..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

which car u have ?
    mostly it start works just b4 the half way mark and stops as soon the temp goes down...
    tell u the truth that most of the auto switch available in market are not of good quality which not last for long .. so i guess u should check ur switch better get original one from a reputed place,,,

i had faced a very bad experience in my ex ride as me end up changing gaskit of that and the car was mehran ..
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

if ur car radiator is in good condition and u r taking care of it regularly by checking coolant level and cleaning it when required u never required to keep ur radiator fan direct...
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for replying scorpion car is cultus vxl 2002 and fan starts on half way mark or after that now i am worried the way it happens i mean if the switch given up and fan doesnt start that means bigger damage will be done so dont u think keeping the direct fan would be the safest option atleast you are not up for a big damage .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sir i have a cuore 2005, with its origional auto fan
    my car's fan starts up when the needle is just below the half mark, & then the needle comes down to 1/4th mark, and then keeps moving up & down. so i guess that's how automatic fans work
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i m also having cultus since 2002.. changed model in 2006 but never did fan direct..

once i faced a bit heatup problem i sent my car for checkup they serviced the radiator but problem persist... after that i found out that the fan motor was faulty its not getting the speed as it required so i changed it with a new one .. now all fine ..

may be u have the same problem .. may be ... ..
    but do check ur radiator may be its faulty
    then do check fan motor with some good electrician may be thats faulty
    all my assumptions
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

well ... my very good friend is using direct fan since years in his cultus but his car is working fine .. he lives in karachi and used it for normal use i mean in daily basis traffic jams... and he drove it more than 60k kms ..
    i read that direct fans is harmful for car engine as its correct too as ur engine wont be able to get up to the desired tempreature level ..
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks gn203 for replying that gives me a fair idea how factory fitted auto setup works mine works almost the same way so i guess its all fine mine worry was it has to be a specific temperature the auto fan kicked in now if that temperature rises and for some reason auto fan didnt kicked it that will cause major and expensive damage .

scorpion dude radiator is in perfect state i never had any trouble with it i ususally check coolant level and fortunately it never gets low which is the sign that theres no leak either so i am utterly sure about radiator health what i am not sure off is the time frame that can damage the gaskit if auto fan didnt kicked in i hope u get my point .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

well if u r not sure about ur auto switch then changed it or keep ur fan direct as ur gaskit will not last long without fan ..

go to any authorize suzuki workshop and see there are many mehran/cultus came just for the change of gaskit ...
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea i think its better to be safe than sorry so i would keep the direct fan setting it has been a while i have a direct fan setting and i had never face any over heating or any sort of burning gaskit issue so i rather keep that setting .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

@shqamar

Since the Coolant in raidator is not getting reduced so it means ur car is not getting over heated. Usualy if the car is maintaing temp needle ~ half of the scale, & fan used to turn On & off automaticaly & coolant level is also not reducing than it means ur car is working fine. Regarding heated radiator cap & pipes, recomended Opaerating temp for typical gassoline engine is ~90Deg & due to hysteresis some time Temp may vary ~10 Deg C which i normal so if u touch the cap or Pipe while its temp is ~100 Deg than definatley u will feel hot but for ur cars engien its normal.
    Exploring Machines is my Passion...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks imranbhatti for giving me the exact figure for the temperature i am utterly confined with your knowledge thanks i do feel that auto setup which is the factory fitted setup is the ideal one but i am not sure about the quality of pak suzuki switches thats why i was asking if i may keep the direct fan setup .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

@shqamar

If ur cars Auto matic fan setup got disturbed its 1st symptoms would be increasing Temp needle which is the sign for driver that there is some problem, after that Coolant will boiled out & even after ignoring all these sypmtoms if engine temp needles reaches till red & u keep going than there are ceratin chances that u blows up ur engines head gasket & other stuff.
    Regarding quality if u can rely on the complete Car made by Pak suzuki than why not its ELectrics?

Just to cater emergency condition u can get installed a swith to direct the fan & in case of issue u can turn ur car s fan direct. I also wana add one thing that Direct radiator fan is not that harmfull as it will decrease life of Fan motor & will put constant load on ur car's alternator only but the alraming thing is mechanics removes the thermostat valve from engine as well while directing the fan motor & in these cases cars temp guage hardly goes above the start scale. In this case perfoamnce of engine & its llife definately decreases.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks imranbhatti for your detailed reply again i was running my car fan direct for a year and so far i havent face any problems what so ever after few miles temperature needle safely reaches to half way and stays there after that so i didnt find any problems regarding the auto or direct fan issue i always take care of my radiotor cleaning and level and coolant selection but than i read here on pw that how necessary is the automatic fan setup for engine and i thought i will give it a go and i went to the auto electrician and surprisingly he wanst in the favour of making fan automatic but when i insist all he had done is to seperate 2 wires and tape them and he told me when i want to make it direct again just attached these 2 wires back and your fan will direct again havent said that can u please tell me how i can check if my car have a thermostat valve install or some **** already took it out like most of the auto electrician are furious about the automatic fan setup and keep insisting about direct setup if u can attached some pictures that will be awsome i would like to check if my car have the thermostat valve still present as for now on i leave the setup automatic till i see the temperature needle goes beyond red mark last but not the least if car runs good few miles with out fan on is it really harmful for the gaskit or it takes a lot of heat to burn the gaskit .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is a temp sensor which manages the auto fan. as long as tht sensor is fine, the auto fan will kick in whenever needed. if u have a spoilt or weak sensor, then ur auto fan will give problems

if ur radiator is throwing out water, then ur gasket is gone.

if ur water is finishing inside the radiatr just too soon, then it could be because of a cracked raditaor bottom , hose pipe leak , water body , etc ... there can be so many possibilities.
    Nikon D3S , Nikon D800 , 24-70 f2.8 + 70-200 F2.8 VR II + 50 1.8D + SB-900 + SB600
    I am ready for any situation!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks enerlevel for replying and how to check that sensor if its in a perfect state, because nearly all the auto electricians are so thick that they only work on assumptions i ask the guy to check if the thermostat valve is placed correctly and he was looking here and there so is there any way i can check the sensor myself ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

@shqamar

If ur cars maintains Temp needle ~ half of the scale even with direct fan than it means Thermostat valve is installed & working fine. Bcoz engine without Thermostat valve + direct fan hardly heaetd up & ther temp needle stays on just start of temp scale.

For checling sensor ur self u have to remove automatic fan swiths usulay installed on radiator or on some housing on the engine from where pipe goe to radiaotor. Operating temp range is mentioned on almost every swtichso now u would need Multilmeter, Thermometer & a pan of boiling water to check its operation.
    Connect he leads of Mutimeter to the wires coming out of switch put the swtich & thermometer in water & start heating up the pan y have to closely monitro the increase in temp through thermometer & upon reaching mentioned temprature on switch mulitmeter should give continuity keep it heated for 10~15 mniutes for stabel operations after that turn stops heating water & let the water temp comes down & closely monitor the temp range where Mulitmeter's continuity disconects, If both teh connection & disconnetion temp is ~ same as mentioned on switch than its workig fine other wise there may be some problem on swtich.
    Usualy thses switch either works or not so there are very less chances of false operations other than the failure.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks imranbhatti your knowledge is just flawless in this regards thanks a lot for clearing the whole concept to me and would u suggest caltex coolant or any green coolant will do the job ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Personaly i prefered Caltex's Extended life (Orange colored) coolant.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1841 Post(s)
    Tagged
    49 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shqamar View Post
    hello people ,
    i read a lot about disadvantages of direct fan so i went to my auto electrician and ask him to change my direct fan to auto he wasnt in the favour of doing that but when i insist he have done it saying sir jee hamari weather me direct fan he chalta he anyways what i have noticed that my auto fan kicked off after 10 minutes atleast and when it starts car is heated a lot so i went back to electrician and ask him to check the switch he checked it and said switch is fine normally auto fan takes certain heat to kicked in and its normally when your needle is on half mark now my main concern is car gets heated and fan didnt start till half mark is it normal for auto fan i mean if its normal than its a fair chance of burning gasket because when i checked the hose pipe and radiator cap it was burning and auto fan didnt start so can some one please share your experience about auto fan timings and how long it takes to kicked in and is it ok till than to run engine and for gasket .
    regards
    Its these kind of mechanics that I hate - sir hamari weather me direct fan chalta hai - abay - ullu to company waalon ne paisay kyon nahin bachaye tumharee baat sun ke - same thing for a thermostat.

your radiator pipes will go hard during normal operation - this is because the radiator cap will only bypass certain pressure (that pressure is 14 psi - its even stamped on the radiator cap) - because when you will have no pressure - the boiling point of the water in coolant cannot rise above 100 degrees and boil over inside the engine causing hot spots.

A more concerned problem to look at is scale and sludge buildup causing improper fan operation - Usually happens in engines which have been run without a thermostat and filled with tap water. the cooling passages including radiator get blocked with rust and junk, cavitate etc - coating everything with rust - just because hamaray bicharay mechanic ke haath jal rahe thay kaam kartay howay - (thats why most proper workshops wear gloves)

I would suggest to install a Honda thermoswitch in your radiator tank or even at your radiator pipe flange on the engine - they are pretty good quality and dont fail as often as suzuki ones - for a bada$$ switch find a genuine BEHR 2 pin 95 degree (NO) switch - it'll be very expensive but its installed in very expensive machinery for its reliability

The fan will switch on at half mark - but if you have no thermostat - the hot coolant will take the path of least resistance to circulate - the path of least resistance is not the radiator but the built in bypass in the block - and your engine will overheat.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List