Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default time frame for Auto fan ?

hello people ,
    i read a lot about disadvantages of direct fan so i went to my auto electrician and ask him to change my direct fan to auto he wasnt in the favour of doing that but when i insist he have done it saying sir jee hamari weather me direct fan he chalta he anyways what i have noticed that my auto fan kicked off after 10 minutes atleast and when it starts car is heated a lot so i went back to electrician and ask him to check the switch he checked it and said switch is fine normally auto fan takes certain heat to kicked in and its normally when your needle is on half mark now my main concern is car gets heated and fan didnt start till half mark is it normal for auto fan i mean if its normal than its a fair chance of burning gasket because when i checked the hose pipe and radiator cap it was burning and auto fan didnt start so can some one please share your experience about auto fan timings and how long it takes to kicked in and is it ok till than to run engine and for gasket .
    regards
    No Man is Worth your tears , and the one who is , Wont make you Cry ..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

fan starts at 92 - 94 degrees for most cars. max an engine can sustain generally is 120 - 125. half mark is 95 to 105.
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    51 Thread(s)

to check the thermostat valve - you would have to remove some coolant from the system and remove the upper radiator pipe on the engine side, then look or poke something down there - you would see/feel the thermostat valve.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks xulfiqar for the detail reply i would like to ask what would be the roughly temperature that will damage the head or gaskit i mean if the temperature needle show the last arrow and we stop cos of that and dont run our car till engine cool down would it save the gaskit , the only scary part in running automatic fan that for some reason fan wouldnt kicked in and car gets over heated thats why i would like to know what would be the temperature that can cause the major damage if unfortunately fan wouldnt kicked in .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and by writing the maximum temperature means obviously the position of our temperature needle normally it stays in the middle or go a bit more than half mark and in my observation its fine till it continously goes towards the end mark and if it does i think we just need to stop the car and wait for car to cool down , btw what damages overheating can do ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    51 Thread(s)

temps above 125 degrees celcius will wreak havoc on your engine, the head and block can come loose blowing out your headgasket, the oil will break down to tar. Usually the temp gauge and sensor is made in such a way that the red zone means its overheating - its nearing 115 to 120 degrees. the middle is about 90 to 100 degrees. To make sure everything is in spec - run your engine with hood open for about 1 hour and see when the fan cuts in and cuts out. If the temps are maintained properly you have nothing to worry about.

I would also look at the fan relay for fatigue as you have been running it direct for over a year or so. I would also see if the fan blades seem bent out of shape - they should be straight and even till the edges, if they are bent or seem wavy - you need a new fan blade.

If I were you - I would look up the factory resistance readings on the temp gauge sender - then go buy a resistor of the same value and test the gauge with that resistor to see where it shows that resistance, that way you know for sure that what temp your meter is denoting - maybe someone can help on this forum with the resistance readings - try the khybers owners club, they have a service manual too
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    51 Thread(s)

if your car starts to overheat - the first thing to do is to shut off the A/C, then coast to a stop and check the engine for any fault, burst pipe, fan not working - radiator fins blocked. (Ive had this in a 2002 Honda city whose A/C was not functioning properly) the condenser fins were completely blocked with sand from the rainy days of Karachi - hence the engine was overheating too.

Please check and double check that your fan wiring is not cut and taped with plastic tape. it should be one piece (original) or soldered and heat shrink wrapped (if repaired or replaced with different type of fan motor) with every connection clean and good, helps to reduce current losses, wiring losses and the fan spins at full rpm too.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi. I have got 2011 mehran vx with a after market A/C installed. I have automatic fan but with Tstat valve removed. It maintains engine temp on half mark (working temp) and level of coolant doesn't decrease as well. The car never heats up except when I am stuff in heavy traffic in hot summers with A/C on but as soon as I turn off the A/C for some time it comes to it's normal temp.

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hallo Guys.
    I'm a porthole fan as well. Goes back to my grandfather's 49. Loved that car. I think it was a Sedanette - fastback with a Rocket straight 8. The hood opened from the sides.
    All is well

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List