this thread will gives u info about the world largest railroads(railway)
i will try to give info about the quantity of their rolling stock ,their operation their locomotives etc and about largest stations too
here i starts from world largest railroad in the world which are mostly from usa
usa 80% railway system is freight system and passenger system is not too much so most of my entries inclued freight railroads
The Union Pacific Railroad (reporting mark UP) , headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska, is the largest railroad network in the United States. James R. Young is president, CEO and Chairman.
UP's route map covers most of the central and western United States west of Chicago and New Orleans. As of December 31, 2008 UP operates on 32,012 miles (51,518 km) of track, of which it owns outright 26,171 miles (42,118 km). Both numbers represent the highest amount of any railroad currently operating in the United States. It has achieved this size as a result of purchasing a large number of other railroads, notably the Missouri Pacific, Chicago and North Western, Western Pacific, Missouri-Kansas-Texas, and the Southern Pacific (including the Rio Grande). Currently, Union Pacific owns 26% of Ferromex while Grupo Mexico owns the remaining 74%.
UP's chief railroad competitor is the BNSF Railway, which covers much of the same territory.
union pacific headquarter(compare it with pakistan railway headquarter)
locomotives of union pacific
As of January 1, 2008, UP has 8,595 locomotives on its active roster
this is default colour scheme of up locomotives
modern union pacific locomotive GE ES44AC
rolling stock of union pacific
According to UP’s 2007 Annual Report to Investors, at the end of 2007 it had more than 50,000 employees, 8,721 locomotives, and 94,284 freight cars.
Broken down by specific type of car, owned and leased:
35,437 Covered Hoppers
18,647 Open-top Hoppers
14,148 “Other” types of cars
In addition, it owns 6,950 different pieces of maintenance of way work equipment.
At the end of 2007 the average age of UP’s locomotive fleet was 14.8 years, the freight car fleet 28 years.
so thats all for now i want to get just this info not detailed info so you might not get bored i hope u like this and i will post some union pacific pictures in next post continue to update this regulaly and about other large railroad
- Used Cars
- New Cars
- Cool Rides
- Post an Ad