Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Home Made ECU for EFI Engine

hey guys
    I made a Home Made Engine Control Unit (ECU )using PIC16F876A for EFI Engine. Have a look at this

Home Made ECU for EFI Engine -1025926 Home Made ECU for EFI Engine -1025927 Home Made ECU for EFI Engine -1025928 Home Made ECU for EFI Engine -1025929

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_fpNcJUpcQ

This ECU has following features:
    1) Adjustable Idling Speed.
    2) Cold Start feature for better cranking in winters. Just starts in first Attempt.
    3) Fully Controllable Ignition Timing (Advance/Retard) no need for Advancer in case of CNG.
    4) Injector Duty Cycle is Programmable (Rich/Lean).
    5) Cooling FAN can be set at any Temperature.
    6) Fuel Pump runs only if Engine is running.
    7) One can tune it for racing to extract maximum output from the Engine.
    8) It can be set on Economical Mode for Extra Fuel Saving.
    9) Engine Maximum RPM can be limited at any set point. To enhance the Engine Life.
    10) Injectors can be disabled just by giving one Pulse so there’s no need of Emulator for CNG.

ECU Inputs:
    Intake Air Temperature Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, O2 Sensor, Oil Pressure Sensor, Knocking Sensor, Coolant Temperature Sensor, CAM position Sensor, Crank Angle Sensor, VVT Feedback Sensor.

ECU Outputs:
    3-Fuel Injectors, 3-Ignition Coils, Idling Air Control Valve, VVT Solenoid, Purge Valve, Radiator cooling FAN, Fuel Pump, + RS232 port for Data Monitoring

more than that i made all this just for Fun, Engines r my Babies
    Best Regards
    Engr Asad Hameed

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awsmwork bro..... Keep it up.
    I Love My Honda...
    Leave sooner, drive slower, live longer.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodeon View Post
    awsmwork bro..... Keep it up.
    final tune up

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basically its a stand alone ecu..but the question is how are u setting the tunning values? i am guessing yr laptop is connected to the ecu but have u also developed a software from which the ecu can be accesed?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

secondly wat processor are you using?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by civicturbo26 View Post
    basically its a stand alone ecu..but the question is how are u setting the tunning values? i am guessing yr laptop is connected to the ecu but have u also developed a software from which the ecu can be accesed?
    yup its a Stand Alone ECU, The Laptop is connected to the ECU just for Monitoring Different Parameters & plotting the results.

dude what u mean by tunning values?? u mean VVT Mechanism ?? or what?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by civicturbo26 View Post
    secondly wat processor are you using?
    Its a PIC16F876A 8-bit microcontroller but there is a Complex code sitting in its heart.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice. What Control Strategy are you using in your Design e.g Proportional, PI,PIDerivative? How many Lookup tables your system is using there buddy.
    If you are using PID for some of the output parameters can I see the controller equation. Also a plot of some of the variables on your OS would be helpful. Lets start from the Hall Effect Sensor on you Camshaft & Firing Sequence of one of the Coils...and O2 sensor and purge valve timing diagram.

Some of the stuff is available freely & I am a bit curious about your controller.
    Also what embedded language you used to implement your design.

I can understand the high level performance benefits which comes naturally when you have capability to alter the parameters..

One big question in the end 'How you dealt with the high Non-Linearity of the sensor values'?

I kind of worked in electronics industry for quite a while but now shifted my Interest to Robotic Vision and currently writing PhD thesis...but our interests coincide...

I will try to implement a similar design on a FPGA after finalizing my thesis.

BTW, I hope your baby's roars do not disturb the neighbours lol...Please feel free to drop in any message to my Inbox anytime...

Kind Regards
    Engr IA

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alam786 View Post
    Nice. What Control Strategy are you using in your Design e.g Proportional, PI,PIDerivative? How many Lookup tables your system is using there buddy.
    If you are using PID for some of the output parameters can I see the controller equation. Also a plot of some of the variables on your OS would be helpful. Lets start from the Hall Effect Sensor on you Camshaft & Firing Sequence of one of the Coils...and O2 sensor and purge valve timing diagram.

Some of the stuff is available freely & I am a bit curious about your controller.
    Also what embedded language you used to implement your design.

I can understand the high level performance benefits which comes naturally when you have capability to alter the parameters..

One big question in the end 'How you dealt with the high Non-Linearity of the sensor values'?

I kind of worked in electronics industry for quite a while but now shifted my Interest to Robotic Vision and currently writing PhD thesis...but our interests coincide...

I will try to implement a similar design on a FPGA after finalizing my thesis.

BTW, I hope your baby's roars do not disturb the neighbours lol...Please feel free to drop in any message to my Inbox anytime...

Kind Regards
    Engr IA
    i applied Higher Order Sliding Mode Controller (HOSM) (Super Twisting Algorithm) to Regulate the Engine Idling Speed. Yup i am using 2-D Lookup Tables + I have used curve fitting Techniques + few bunch of equations + PI controller + a Bang Bang Controller on Temperature Loop etc i don’t want to go in details right now.

Yup i will show u the Plots once i get free time to start the Engine again. as i play with Engine when i get free time.

Its my OWN design 100% i didn’t took any help from any one, i developed lots of different algorithms during my ECU designing phase. I used Embedded C Language + ASM Blocks for optimization. it cost me less than Rs 3K.

I know how to play with nonlinear Sensors, i think its not a BIG deal to Linearize a nonlinear Sensor data if the nonlinearity is within a certain region & known, thankx to Matlab, i did the simulation of all the sensors before using them.I am a hobbyist check out my channel on YouTube
    www.youtube.com/user/hameeds01#p/u

Yeah FPGA is another good Option, but currently i am trying to Run the Engine via Matlab/Simulink.

dude my Baby is so quiet that my neighbours can’t hear her roaring… thanks to EFI Technology.

from ur way of discussion u looks like an Old Experienced man with white hairs may i know whats ur PhD Topic? & from where u r doing PhD?

Best Regards
    Asad

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good Work MAte....

However, linearizing the Sensor Data using Matlab/Simulink is beyond my Immediate Perception. As most manufacturers do not release their models to small companies. Only suitable way I could think of is learn the characteristics by Brute Force Search.....and that is very time consuming.

Controlling Engine with Matlab/Simulink is a step back from what you haveachieved already...I assume...can you shed some light on this..

Self organising maps & such controllers are being implemented inmost modern ECUs and in our department a few guys are researching on quite advanced algorithms funded by motor manf...mainly Jag&Land

Hey, that is a wrong image perhaps I portrayed for myself...You know the Proverb 'Sona Ag Mein Jal kar Kundhan Banta Ha'.It took me 10 years to understand what's Sona and perhaps it will takeanother 10 to come out of the furnace which is burning like Hell..But only God knows the outcome...life is too short anyway.BTW my work is related to Event Detection, Intelligent Surveillance and Recognition...I will release my docs after success to all brothers..here. InshaAllah(IA)...but who knows the outcome...

I hope the motor manufacturer's lobbies will not stop Govt releasing fundsand room for new venturers....and that is the biggest disadvantage whysuch talented people like your group are leaving Pakistan...we need something like 'Iran' and they are becomming something close to 'Kundhan' due to strict Import Policies...imposed by 'Top Dogs'.

Dude, you guys have done quite remarkable work. What is the name of the Institution backing your ventures?. I am also thinking to Invest in technology in Pakistan....although I am not a millionaire...but might to be..lol..in coming five years....but thats is not my prime goal in life...it has to be the free knowledge...for all of us.

Kind Regards
    IA

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

@hameeds01

Excellent Job Done (Y)(Y)(Y).
    BTW have u any plans to test that motro in field? i mean by putting it some car to check its performance?
    Exploring Machines is my Passion...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imranbhatti View Post
    @hameeds01

Excellent Job Done (Y)(Y)(Y).
    BTW have u any plans to test that motro in field? i mean by putting it some car to check its performance?
    Sorry dude for late reply i was lil busy in my office work,
    Yup i do have plans to put that ECU in my Dad’s second Car “Nissan Moco” it has the same VVT version Engine. i hope this little fellow wil burn the tyres.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MASHALLAH... nice effort....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    speaking of spark advance in controlled systems - I bet you were quite amused too when you had to calculate delayed spark aka retard spread on a greater magnitude to be read as spark advance for the next firing event.

Are you taking any feedback from the coils to confirm a "power cycle event". Is your injection system a batch fire or individually triggered? For kicks and giggles study the toyota xA-FE engine ECU, it sees the engine as a 2 cyl engine yet the ignition feedbacks 4 events per 4 crank poles and 1 TDC pole (only 1.6 and 1.8l) across the magnet pickups. the 5AFE does not even have a tdc sensor
    yeah ignition timing calculation is a tedious job man,

No i am not taking an feedback from ignition coils to confirm power stoke etc.

during cranking the Injectors r tirggered in batch fashion to deliver maximum fuel, then during normal engine running the injectors r triggered in sequencial mode.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi nice work, are you doing all this with single PIC micro controller that's pretty, nice you should share your work with Suzuki Pakistan.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electronspark View Post
    hi nice work, are you doing all this with single PIC micro controller that's pretty, nice you should share your work with Suzuki Pakistan.
    no it has 2 PIC controllers in Master & slave configuration to distribute the Work Load.
    yeah i am willing to Share my work with Pak Suzuki or with any other company if they offer me a JOB, dude i can converter Carburetor Mehran Engine to EFI Engine, its not a big deal for me just i need to hookup few bunch of Sensors + Injectors to it, as u know there is no R&D department in local Automotive companies, they just Assemble & follow the instrustions that comes from Japan.

I can also design ECU for CNG fuel Engines. just like Sequencial Injection System.

Best Regards
    Engr Asad Hameed

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i have a question that most of the guys here have asked you!
    HOW DID YOU calibrate the fuel and ignition tables? and what about the vvti table? tunning vvti is 100 times more of a headache than the vtec system what is the total ignition timing in the ecu map at wot? and where is the engine idling? 19? 20inches?
    and what raw fuel value are you using and whats the injector size? any software use to calibrate all this
    Honda Tuning Solutions

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is exactly my question? what software are u using? and u said u r using an 8 bit processor? . is there any way u can install a more powerfull processor like a 16 bit or more. standalone ecus have much higher calculating power.
    secondly have u designed the software your self?
    as i said earlier if this thing works out its going to an awesome homemade powerfull standlone ecu..it just needs a proper software

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Civic What software are you talking about? The program that runs on the CPU or the original programming language that generated the Hex Code. I think as the engine is working under noload conditions there was not much Tunning of parameters needed and the OP has successfully demonstrated that such home made ECU is indeed a Reality. A Talented Chap Indeed!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry for late reply actually i was busy

@SpoonMotorSports calibrating the fuel & ignition maps is a way tedious JOB, if u have the knowledge & u know what exactly u r trying to do then yes its achievable via bunch of non linear equations. i dont want to go in auxiliary details like Engine Modeling/Parameter estimation etc. Dude this Engine is equipped with VVT not VVTi so its pretty straight forward as u knows.
    i am using the Stock fuel injectors, no i am not using any software for calibration, i plotted different parameters & adjusted them manually in the coding & keeps on trimming the equations until i get my desire results. just one time exertion after that it amends itself automatically

@civicturbo26 Yup currently i am using 8-bit processor & it looks pretty fine for this JOB but its better to use 16-bit/32-bit processor for high speed computation power. code optimization can do the job with low end Cheap Processors. Yup its my own coding my own logic/Algorithms, i didnt take any help from any one

@alam786 yup the engine is running under no load conditions. but still parameter tuning is required as the Engine is not only running at steady RPM. as u can see in the demonstration video the engine is accelerating, Sir jee i am an ordinary person with limited knowledge

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    49 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hameeds01 View Post
    yeah ignition timing calculation is a tedious job man,

No i am not taking an feedback from ignition coils to confirm power stoke etc.

during cranking the Injectors r tirggered in batch fashion to deliver maximum fuel, then during normal engine running the injectors r triggered in sequencial mode.
    You have to fire the injectors at full flood in batch to start the engine - otherwise you will have a very stupid engine that wont start cold. Good work, IMO its far easier to work on a 6 cyl engine ECU as the engine is naturally balanced to start with.

But keep it up - you will soon see very good success down the road.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

User Tag List