Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Corolla Auto transmission problem in Cold

Salam fellow Pakwheelers,

The problem I came across this winter season (or when the weather is cold in the morning) is that when I start the car ( Corolla ae100, 5a and auto tranny) in the morning and take it out in cold weather as is now in ABBOTTABAD (almost 0 degrees in morning) the car wont shift into the 4th gear for about 4 to 5 kms or untill the temprature is moderatly hot on guage
    On other hand I did find the gear oil level above the normal point which was recently changed Orignal toyota d2/d3 ( dont exactly remember ) 4 litre fluid was poured in but now looking at the dip stick i think the capacity is 3 litres
    where as last year same happened to me in December but at that time the gear ran low on oil and later on broke down and was replace with qabli one which i am running now

now the question is
    1. is it normal??
    2. is this problem because of the excess of oil?
    3. is is bad if the oil is in excess??
    4. is it the cold weather causing this problem?
    5. what is to be done??
    I'd like sir @Xulfiqar togive his expert opinion on this matter..
    h@mI 91

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)

Thermostat valve & right coolant in cooling system helps the engine reach optimum temperature FASTER. Check if the auto-transmission fluid lines is connected to radiator bottom. in picture the 2 nipples at bottom of radiator are for auto transmission fluid line, to warm up auto transmission fluid in winters
    Corolla Auto transmission problem in Cold -1303589
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its normal for autos... The conventional auto transmission will not shift into 4 th gear when the engine is cold...

On reaching optimum temperature it will shift normally...

It is simply a mechanism to reach optimum temperature quickly in auto cars...

Mine did the same thing...

Cheers...
    Driving is not about going from point A to point B, it is the point...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    49 Thread(s)

yep normal. the od switch is wired through the engine coolant temp sensor which prohibits the o/d when the engine is cold in hydraulic transmission like yours
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    yep normal. the od switch is wired through the engine coolant temp sensor which prohibits the o/d when the engine is cold in hydraulic transmission like yours
    thankyou for your feedback btw any harm from high hydraulic fluid level??
    h@mI 91

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Btw own a civic 03 prosmetic m having almost the same issue. In cold mornings when u start the car the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT comes on and the rpm stays around 1200-1300 which is above the normal and when u put the car in "D" it takes a jerk and the car wont shift to any other gear before 4000 rpm as if it is stuck in that gear. When u drive the car for like 4-5 kms and the temperature rises till optimum level u hav to switch off the car and switch it back on and the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT gets off and the auto tranny works normal. Is it normal for prosmetics or should i be worried?
    Sry @hamza91 m posting my story in ur post my appologise but its actually the only post i found which is quite near to my problem. Would be highly gratefull if someone can help me. Thanx

Life's Good :-)
    Everything that kills me makes me feel alive

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    49 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hamza91 View Post
    thankyou for your feedback btw any harm from high hydraulic fluid level??
    yes - high ATF level can cause foaming. Foam does not create hydraulic pressure and can cause chatter of the clutches which leads to overheating which then leads to dead transmission.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    49 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adilfarid View Post
    Btw own a civic 03 prosmetic m having almost the same issue. In cold mornings when u start the car the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT comes on and the rpm stays around 1200-1300 which is above the normal and when u put the car in "D" it takes a jerk and the car wont shift to any other gear before 4000 rpm as if it is stuck in that gear. When u drive the car for like 4-5 kms and the temperature rises till optimum level u hav to switch off the car and switch it back on and the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT gets off and the auto tranny works normal. Is it normal for prosmetics or should i be worried?
    Sry @hamza91 m posting my story in ur post my appologise but its actually the only post i found which is quite near to my problem. Would be highly gratefull if someone can help me. Thanx

Notice the D (D4) indicator lamp when the check light comes on, does it flash?

The bad news in this case can be

1 choked transmission filter - which means you get to spend a nice sum of money as Honda (dimaagh se faarigh) designers made the trans in a way they thought the filter was never to be cleaned in the life of the car.

2 - burnt fluid turned to grease - honda pros boxes really heat up the ATF which causes thermal breakdown of the ATF. the remedy is to flush it and pray it works, otherwise a rebuild is required.

The good and easy thing maybe (highly likely as the car becomes normal after warm up).

Your ATF is old and requires change - use Honda Z1 or any approved Friction modified Synthetic ATF with a VI of above 175 and a hot viscosity of 7.0 cst.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    Notice the D (D4) indicator lamp when the check light comes on, does it flash?

The bad news in this case can be

1 choked transmission filter - which means you get to spend a nice sum of money as Honda (dimaagh se faarigh) designers made the trans in a way they thought the filter was never to be cleaned in the life of the car.

2 - burnt fluid turned to grease - honda pros boxes really heat up the ATF which causes thermal breakdown of the ATF. the remedy is to flush it and pray it works, otherwise a rebuild is required.

The good and easy thing maybe (highly likely as the car becomes normal after warm up).

Your ATF is old and requires change - use Honda Z1 or any approved Friction modified Synthetic ATF with a VI of above 175 and a hot viscosity of 7.0 cst.

Is It Me Or Really HONDA SUCKs Making Auto Transmissions....:\
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

D4 indicator doesnt flash actually its just the engine check light. Actually last year i tried to clean all the sensors with WD-40 (all the ones i could see) and the check engine light issue was gone for many months. But as the winters hav started so again the problem has started. The gear oil was changed in july with honda one but i think i forgot to change its filter(i really dnt knw if it has any) but if it can be changed do let me know might try it aswell. N thanks for ur replies but i really like honda's auto tranny as compared to the one which came in SE Saloon auto

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    49 Thread(s)

when you apply for a job with honda A/T design and manufacture and design you must conform to a certain level of stupid to qualify for the job. in all designs thefilter is a deep set part or the transmission has severe heat up issues

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanx but how can i transmission heat up?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    49 Thread(s)

if you see the CEL on, then check the code to see what sensor was reported to the principal as being the lazy kid in class.

btw - transmissions do heat up, thats why they have coolers built into the radiator of the car.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

M asking again how can i transmission get heated up? Going on long drives? Or anyothr reason. Plus would appreciate if anyone can help me regarding reading the error code via obd scanner if anyone has one or would i hav to go to honda center for that?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    49 Thread(s)

the transmission warms up on its own, it overheats when you are trying to climb a gradient at low speed or pulling a heavy load (the torque converter really beats up the ATF in this case)

Honda transmissions have a bad design for cooling, usually rectified by adding an additional atf cooler in series to the system. You might never see a big Honda engine vehicle in Pakistan - but in US they are pretty common, the mommy vans (loved by desi aantee sahiba with 4 kids) are notorious for burning out transmissions, The civic doesnt hurt as much because its quite lighter.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Will try changing the oil i hope it ends good

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Life's Good :-)[/QUOTE]

nothing to mind at all sir jee as the the thread and the forum is all about helping others and also as Xulfiqar sir explained get it checked as the jerk and the fact it doesnt shift below 4000rpm dont sound good at all, doesnt sound good check oil level and consistency change it and pray all goes well and do post your experience and findings here
    h@mI 91

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanx a bunch @hamza91 will take care of it in a few days n will let u knw wat happens

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i am also going to check the thermostat valve as I am pretty sure the car isnt having one atm
    lets also check the connection of the radiator with transmission
    h@mI 91

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List