Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toyota 3C TE diesel engine for Jeep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Toyota 3C TE diesel engine for Jeep

Can anyone guide me through so as to make my mind for choosing the engine for my jeep based vehicle. The kerb weight with old Mahindra engine gear box is 1540 kgs with jeep type ladder chassis.

Any Toyota diesel engine expert ( Voyager or so ) may please help me deciding about the engine as I have got some choices like Toyota 2.4 D, Toyota 2LT, and 3C TE.

I can attach a picture of one such Vehicle ( Mahindra Armada 1992 )
    Toyota 3C TE diesel engine for Jeep -481860
    Upwards Onwards, when the going gets tough the Tough gets going.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)

My vote is for 2.4D if u want Toyota

Allthough if i was you. i would have ioted for Nissan RD28 6 cylinder engine in almost same price.
    BTW where have u been?
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

a 3C-TE is an excellent choice IF u dont want 4-wheel drive. u CAN change the tranny but then use a 3C-T, not the EFI version. the 2LT and the 2.4D are the same. 2L-T is the Turbo version of the 2L. both are 2400 cc, hence called 2.4D. the best option would be to go for a 3.0 D4-D or if u cant find that, then the 1KZ. both are 3000 cc. D4-D is the one with the commonrail technology, so better. what options do u have?
    HONDA (hon-duh) (noun) Swahili for "i will get a real car when i grow a real D**k"!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Spectra

Hello paa jee how are your there ? I wish you must be enjoying and fine there.

I was bit busy these days but I kept browing Pakwheels regularly though I couldnt contribute anything.

Yesterday, I encountered a rare oppurtunity to own a Mahindra Armada 1992 model jeep in mint condition for just Rs. 55,000/-. The boy is migrating abroad and selling his wares at throwaway prices.

All my jeepy worms are ignited and I ve been dreaming of converting this machine into some thing like Jeep wrangler ( but with solid five doors as original ) as this particular model resembles a lot with that of Wrangler.

All I need is to change the engine setup ( Mahindra XDP 2523 cc IDI engine and a 4 forward gearbox ) with that of any of the
    Toyotas discussed above. However, Jeep experts here opined in favour of 3C TE for one obvious reason - Fuel economy as they claim it returns around 14 kmpl + in such type of vehicles.

So why a 3C TE costs around 42 K as compared to that of a 2.4 D for just 30 ks. 2.4D is a success story in our Toyota Qualis ( with 14" wheels ). But my Armada has 15" wheels. Also there may be some problem relating to the differential gear matching as an Armada has 44/9 crown pinion setup but options are available from other Mahindras with 47/11, 48/12 ( aftermarket ) and 43/8 ( original petrol jeep ).

Let us see how it goes.

Have some other pictures of the this jeep
    Toyota 3C TE diesel engine for Jeep -661012

Toyota 3C TE diesel engine for Jeep -661013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Khattak

Thanx dear,

This jeep is rear wheel driven. Choices are many but I feel all the junk dealers in Delhi and Meerut sell just three engines , 2C, 2C turbo, 3C, 2.4D, 2LT from Toyota. There are some choices from the Mercedes also but they cost to much ( 90K plus ).

One thing is clear and that is Fuel economy coz all vehicles with better fuel returns sells well here.

Other engines as mentioned by you are little heard here as there are no takers for these. If some dealer dares to bring one such container carrying these engines,these are generally dismentalled for the metal values only. Also the availabilty of spare parts is also an issue to be taken care. Spares for the first three engines are localised to an extent that these are exported to Thailand, Malaysia an dIndonesia. Could you imagine a head gasket for a 2C or 3C engine costs just around Rs. 230/- only and you could over haul the engine within a budget of Rs. 10-15 Thousands only.

So limited choices only

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)

in your scenario, 3C-T is best option but with rear drive and a better differential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My vote is for 1KZ-TE....same fuel economy as that of a 2L-T and much more power. If not 1KZ then 2L-T. I have a 2L-T in my crown and trust me its one powerful engine. Last choice would be a 3C-T as its just a 2200cc engine. This Jeep is almost same in size as Adam Zabardust and I am sure 2200cc would be underpowered for this body.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Shergill

My recommendations will be as follows for your Jeep.

1st Option:

Toyota 2L-T For this Jeep I can easily recommend Toyota 2L-T This turbocharged engine is available in many variations. Although some are EFI and others have ceramic valve seats, power output is roughly the same in all models. this is the best engine for flat fender Jeeps as far as performance is concerned. It can be easily squeezed into the engine bay on these Jeeps. Being turbocharged, they have potential for even more power in the hands of those people who know what they’re doing.

Hp@Rpm 86@4000
    Torque (Ft-Lb@RpM)=139@2400

2nd Option:
    3C-TE (2.2 Turbo Diesel):

94kW@4000rpm 206Nm@2200rpm
    4 cylinder turbocharged EFI
    Displacement= 2184 cc (Engine configuration: horizontal rear wheel drive )

The very fact that the engine lies flat in the engine bay instead of sitting vertically like a normal engine as we're all used to raises some doubts as to whether it will even fit between the fenders of the average jeep.
    Power output for the non-EFI version is actually slightly higher than the 2LT but it will require slightly lower gearing because it needs to rev higher. The EFI version is even more powerful.

Overall, my opinion is that IF the engine can be mounted safely and out of harms way in a jeep, then it should make a good powerplant for a light vehicle like an M38 or M38-A1. 3C-TE can be used an alternate, no doubt about it’s performance but for UR Jeep I will recommend 2L-T.

Nissan RD28: (Not Recommended) This peppy, high revving, 2.8 liter 6-cylinder engine has found its way into quite a few CJ-7s. The 6-cylinder configuration makes it exceptionally smooth for a diesel. Its high revving nature means plenty of horsepower at the top end of the RPM range, but small displacement takes away low end torque. This is a good engine for daily driving on the street, but not ideally suited to off road situations where low end torque really counts. This is the main reason why the technically inferior but torqueier B series engines have always been preferred over the RD28.
    It would "go places where tankers quit and birds would go back exhausted." *****Willys MB*****

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by the sounds of it i will say the 1kz-te, but i aint an expert so i think voyager is quiet right.....
    its all about power to weight ratio...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Guncha
    For most of the commonly found flat-fender Jeeps, their engine bay is by far the smallest. No doubt 1KZ-TE or even 1KD (Smoke free) engine seems to be the superb choice but again what come in the way is engine bay for the flat fender Jeeps other wise U would have seen IKZ-TE in my Jeep.

Plus: The power-to-weight ratio is often used as an indication of likely performance. In any vehicle the engine power-to-weight ratio is essential for vehicle power-to-weight ratio.
    It would "go places where tankers quit and birds would go back exhausted." *****Willys MB*****

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@ Shergill

2L
    The 2L is a 2.4 L (2446 cc) 4 cylinder diesel engine. Bore is 92 mm and stroke is 92 mm, with a compression ratio of 22.3:1. Output is 72 hp (53.6 kW) at 4000 RPM with 115 ft·lb (155.9 N·m) of torque at 2200 RPM.

2L-II
    2L-II has Maximum Power net 83HP @ 4,000 RPM. Maximum Torque net 17.0kg.m @ 2,400 RPM.

2L-T
    The 2L-T is a 2.4 L (2446 cc) turbo version of the 2L. The bore and stroke are the same but the 2L-T has a compression ration of 20:1. Output is 86 hp (64.1 kW) at 4000 RPM with 139 ft·lb (188.4 N·m) of torque at 2200 RPM.

2L-TE
    The 2L-TE is a 2446cc EFI turbo version of the 2L engine. The borexstroke is 92mm x 92mm, compression ratio of 21:1. Maximum output is 97HP (72.3kW) at 3800RPM and maximum torque is 24.54kg.m at 2400 RPM. The difference between 2L-TE and 2L-T is that 2L-TE adopt the EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) technology which is similar in basic construction to a modern gasoline injector, although utilizing considerably higher injection pressures.Thus increasing the engine's efficiency

3L
    The 3L is a 2.8 L (2779 cc) 4 cylinder diesel engine. Bore is 96 mm and stroke is 96 mm, with a compression ratio of 22.2:1. Output is 89.8 hp (67 kW) at 4000 RPM with 134.9 ft·lb (183 N·m) of torque at 2400 RPM.

Bhai Shergill mera mashwara mano to 3C ,1KZ ya turbo waghera k chakar main na paro. aankh band kar k 3L paa do jee. khoota dekha hai na aap ney? samjho 3L khoota hai jitna marzi zulm karo kuch nahi kehta. dolatti nahi marta bus waqt per timing belt change kar dia karo. jesey khootay ko ghass pani detey ho aesey he 3L ka oil n filters change kartey jaoo or mazay karo
    http://www.facebook.com/oodbalow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oodblaoo is right I forgot 3L.....excellent solid engine. He id right, Turboed engines are more prone to problems.

@Voyager.....dont you think Sir that 2C-T is a bit small as this jeep is 5-door and almost the same size as our Adam Zabardast.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In your circumstances I wudd suggest to go for a 3C-TE. But kindly check all the wiring harnessess nd efi setup coz bolting an EFI block is quite a mess if ya went to the wrong mechanic. Apart frm tht 3C-TE is a torquey engine with lotta power at low revs. Nissan RD28 isnot recommended it will make ur life mess if nething goes wrong.

@Javed Bhai/Voyager, Sir Jee RD28 used to come in skyline...

Thnxx..
    Jayala....

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)

I just love the looks of this RD28. About life being a mess. Keep the cooling system free from air through the bleeding valve and it will last as long as any other engine.

For a 5 door jeep like this. It would have been an economical option but i dont think it will work for you.

Toyota 3C TE diesel engine for Jeep -661160

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Arid

I didn’t recommended 2C-T, first option I recommended is 2L-TE and the 2nd option was 3C-TE. I also not against 3L as mentioned by Oodbalow & U. It’s depends on person’s choice and available options. Believe me I have seem many Jeeps converted in to Wrangler shape with 2L-TE, 3L, one with Nissan RD28 and even 3 with 1KZ-TE. Only couples of them were with proper installation of the engine in to the engine bay and their ride was really enjoyable. But some of them I felt that I am driving Ford Truck (which is normally used for loading in Pak.). I am not saying that this is engine’s fault but we have to take in to consideration the proper installation of the power plant & power to weight ratio. As I said in earlier post, in any vehicle the engine power-to-weight ratio is essential for vehicle power-to-weight ratio.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Charterali

Nice 2 hear from U mate. Thanks for the info BTW I know the Love story about RD28 & Skyline.

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)

RD-28 sure came in Skyline R31, Laurel and Nissan Patrol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for such a valuable information.

Well, the project will be on by mid sept or late by early October. One of my friends here also suggested me about a similar flat fender jeep (Called Mahindra 540 here ) but with a three door option ( CJ-7 & Toyota FJ-40 fusion ). This jeep is much lighter in weight ( 1245 kgs ) and a 3C - TE would be quite adequate, subject to the final approval by all of you Toyota experts ( As I feel ).

Have a glimpse of this one also
    Toyota 3C TE diesel engine for Jeep -661502

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

I would like to Revive the topic again and seed if after 4-5 years wht new options are available

My question same as the poster .. Is Toyota 3C-T and good choice in a Jeep still ? If its used as a daily use and hardcore offroader aswell ...

If not then which is the best option ? Which is relaible / economical and not so expensive to install also ...
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List