+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: engine overhaul / swap 4AFE, 4EFE, 2E

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default engine overhaul / swap 4AFE, 4EFE, 2E

i own a toyota corolla EE-80R 1986 model fitted with the stock 2E-L engine. as per my understanding it is a 66 hp motor. later models of toyota including xe and xeg have 2E engines fitted in them. 2E is probably 75 hp engine. in the market i've heard ppl saying that there is no difference between the engines except for the carburretor. i'm a little confused over here. how can carburretor alone bring about increase in power?
    my car's engine is consuming oil as well. and its time for either an overhaul or a swap. i have three choices with me:-

a. 4AFE
    b. 4EFE
    c. 2E

1500 cc carb engine 3E is another option but ppl tell me its spares are hard to find. right now my vehicle easily gives me 160-170km on 55 lit cylinder on CNG. ppl have recommended me to go for gli engine i.e. 4AFE. it is 1600cc engine and efi as well. i've heard that swapped efi engines give problems of wiring. i am in rwp and comments / suggestions / experiences about above mentioned engine swaps will be appreciated.
    thanks

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

2E is probably 75 hp engine..

bhai that is not correct.

2E with power steering was barely pumping out 58 hp without rotary type a/c compressor

the cars without powersteering ran better on 2E.

2ndly the decision depends on yr budget and luck to find a clean engine,, there are lot of engines for sale,, get the 1 which has some warranty by seller, and spare parts avaliable.

after budget,, comes yr requirement, if you find yr car underpowered go for bigger engine than you have.

and last , efi engines like 4afe run better on cng than 2e,, if cng concerns you.
    ,,, unless you know the track, you're not good enough to sit behind the wheel." K T

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

well what i will recomend is 4afe.. a very good engine and runs great on cng, once the wiring done right will not give any problems..... and spares of 4afe is also not a problem...
    its all about power to weight ratio...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second Ghuncha...4-AFE.

Advantages:

1. Good Power.
    2. Cheap Maintenance.
    3. Parts easily available.
    4. Good Fuel economy, Runs excellent on CNG.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

@awais
    dont look for good average with a 1.6 litr engine
    though you will be easilly smoking VTI's with the swap
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)

Hello!!
    i suggest 3E engine....if you won't believe on alterations and all that.....if you understand that kinda mechanical stuff....4AFE was the best you can do.....!
    2E till i know the last of 2E was 70hp motor.....don't know the power steering story as i never use but its 70Hp.....
    3E was around 84-86HP....and was a bolt-on setup.......
    ppl talking about that its spares are not easily available so i must tell you that finding parts of same series engine is not a hard job...most of the parts fit same.....some seals have difference as they are available.......
    mostly all stuff are same...like 1E from Starlet 2E and 3E are of same series.....
    putting 4A-FE was a bit hard job that getting 2E or 3E.....
    need some mounts work and wiring as it was Efi engine....but it was 115hp motor enough to power up your corolla on best......runs best on CNG.....!
    so my options are either 3E on bolt-on and if altered its 4AFE...
    Thanxx
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2E : 1295cc soch, 8valve, I4, carb, european version produces 74HP
    Alpha Romeo 156

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you all for ur replies

@levin
    and last , efi engines like 4afe run better on cng than 2e,, if cng concerns you
    will 4AFE give better/same fuel economy on CNG or enhanced performance will be at the cost of more CNG consumption. CNG is concern for me as i'll be retaining my TN1 kit.that brings out another question whether i'll have to install TAP and emulator too. if that is the case plz suggest suitable brands.

@hash4u
    thanx for comments. how much 4AFE is expected to do with and without ac on 55 lit cyl?

@SER_GTR
    ......runs best on CNG.....!
    thanx for ur elaborate reply. really appreciate it. same question as asked to levin.

basically what i want in the end is an engine which can easily handle power steering and ac and yet be economical. i can spare 40-45k for the mod. right now ac load on my aging and oiling up engine (200k done) is too much of a load i guess. mounts mod is no problem. i understand that 1600 efi engine will definitely bring about a performance boost. see i am getting 160-170km without ac in the city (55 lit cyl). on highway i sometimes cross 200km. if 4AFE gives me 140-150km in city, i'll be more than happy but if i get lets say 90 or 100 km with 4AFE that will be too much of a burdon on my pocket. hope u guyz get my point.3E won't be more economical than 4AFE as u guyz have said. if that may be the case i can switch from carby to efi. plz put me right.and thx in advance.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

spectra , hash4u and other cng knowledgable folks will guide you cng matters.
    though,, before your running cng on carburator engine,, after an efi ,,, there are going to some techinical diffirences between both. like (cng kit )

meanwhile there are some cng related topics on forum if you could use search button
    ,,, unless you know the track, you're not good enough to sit behind the wheel." K T

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Reply By : RedBull_ar on 11/20/2006 7:52:18 PM
    2E : 1295cc soch, 8valve, I4, carb, european version produces 74HP

bhai dyno it on local fuel.. without powersteering i doubt you can pass 60hp,,,,, dont go always what book says,,,, europe standard is different than yr local 2nd hand engine

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

my guess, with AC, 120km's on 55 cylinder, without AC add another 20 or 30 km's

i would suggest
    b. 4EFE
    with the alteration Abid did in his car,remove the EFI setup and use carby. will save u money and u wont need emulators and advancers. no engine check lights and bull sh** !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recommend Gli engine 4AFE 1600cc EFI

I did this swap in my chacha's 1986 Corolla. Its a bolt on engine in that model. no major altration.

Go to sadar (Mitho Khan Aahata) there is a Shop named as Samundar Khan, his rates are good and engines are good too.
    And go for complete swap with gaer box, with AC compressor and power steering pump.
    I swaped the complete thing, giving old to him and Rs. 28000.
    And the performance is awesome.. dont go for any overhaul.
    thats all..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reply By : levin on 11/20/2006 90:42 PM
    bhai dyno it on local fuel.. without powersteering i doubt you can pass 60hp,,,,, dont go always what book says,,,, europe standard is different than yr local 2nd hand engine

pay me and i'll get my car dyno'ed
    Alpha Romeo 156

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

lol. use yr own money or think its 74hp.

btw: a santro efi dynoed there at 40 something hp ,, should give you some idea about 1.3l carby

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)

putting in an engine from same generation will be a wise idea if you are not a petrolhead like some nd us here Fli is right 100%
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)

Hello!
    man.....3E can easily bear AE100 Corolla.....85-88Hps are damn enough to handle that........but if you wan't some real good stuff....4AFE was preffered like earlier.....!
    4EFE i don't say bcz it was producing around 88hps...so better you put 3E of same power as on 4EFE..you have to put emulator...as hash says carb conversion can be done but the real taste of that motor was lost......
    4AFE no doubt the best......one can put 4AFE and run it on CNG A/C with PS and all stuff without any load.........
    with power...it can also give you good CNG milage...i don't think you are gonna fell huge difference in milage......
    i can give you good milage once it was settled......
    As 4AFE was distributor type so no advancer needed in that case.....
    choice is yours now
    it it was me......4AFE was my option..but yeah be remember...its not a "Bolt-On" need mounts alteration as well as i also suggest to get its own 5 -speed Tranny..so axles maybe need changing also.....but that cannot be one hell of jobs......try getting 4AFE from late model Rolla's.......there comes two 4AFE one 102Hp and other 115Hp.....the new one got lines on its tappet cover and its tappet cover was longer and wider than old one......
    serach for the 2nd Version Newer 4AFE..
    Here i am posting pics for difference b/w two

The 2nd Version 4A-FE (New One)
    engine overhaul  swap 4AFE 4EFE 2E -681674

The 1st Version 4AFE (Old One)
    engine overhaul  swap 4AFE 4EFE 2E -681675

Thanxxx
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Moved erroneously due to a mouse malfunction, Apology: CharterAli

"As its an "E" series engine that the car already came with, drop in the 4E. Drops straight in on the exisiting mounts contrary to what some of my colleagues here have mentioned earlier about the 4A. The AE series Corollas have mounts roughly 2 1/2" inches AFT on either sidemembers as compared to the E series Corollas so its not really "drop in". Secondly if you're not too finicky, you can even use your current gearbox with the new 4E engine and the E series spares are cheaper albeit marginally and run equally well on CNG.

Original Reply By : FLi_GTi
    DT : 11/21/2006 10:195 PM "
    Jayala....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

engine overhaul  swap 4AFE 4EFE 2E -681751

I swaped this engine in corolla 86 and the only change is the fitting I highlighted and that nothing. every thing else is bolt to bolt fitting. and the performance is very good. I recommend this engine. And there is no altration required in CNG thing, existing CNG kit will work. No extra gadget required. You can change the CNG swith to electric one for starting on petrol and it will automatically change to gass in 2 seconds.
    Its EFI engine and consumption is very good.
    Just go for it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

@Ali
    if u could quote the exact mileage figures on CNG or Petrol
    would be very helpful

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

engine overhaul  swap 4AFE 4EFE 2E -681754

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List