Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Used Mercedes Benz C Class C 180

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Used Mercedes Benz C Class C 180

Hello there!!

I have a budged of PKR 1 million and I am interested in buying used Mercedes Benz C Class (1998/99)

Currently I own a liana (RXI 2007, Black Isb Reg) ...I have the following questions on which i need expert advise!!

1. Does it give a good millage on petrol (by good I mean 10 to 12 Km/lit)
    2. Does it has a good resale?
    3.What about its maintenance? (I mean the frequency)
    4. Do mechanics know about this vehicle? (w.r.t. Islamabad)
    5.What about the spare parts? are they readily available? (giving due consideration to the fact that it is an old vehicle, I think parts should not be a problem)
    6.Are the spares very expensive? (this particular model)
    7.What is your experience about this vehicle?

Now, my decision to buy the vehicle is totally dependent upon your suggestions, so please suggest whether I should go for this vehicle or not. Please be specific.

Regards

Mentioned
    1483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)

I dont think they made an airport taxi of the W210, I know the W124 edition of this existed from the factory, the W210 must be a coachwork build.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruze View Post
    I made a special puller for this purpose, you can check in pic.

Yeah I didn't notice

So you didn't remove the frame? :/

Sent from my SGH-I747M using PW Forums mobile app
    http://www.facebook.com/SlightlyInsanePhotography
    http://stores.ebay.com/Denimic-Jeans?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 DENIMIC JEANS

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sent from my LG-LU6200 using PW Forums mobile app
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recently, I also purchased a mercedes benz c180 02 model, w203.. The steering oil was leaking which i didnt noticed at the time of purchase, so i had to go from a steering rack replacement. It costed me around 25k with labour of fitting. From that day my car is perfectly sound, though it is an INH maintained vehicle with complete history.

Mercedes benz is not that much hard to maintain, spares are also not too much costly.. The leisure of the drive is comparatively far better than the same class japanese vehicle. I would suggest u to buy it, if it will not satisfy u then sell it again. Atleast u will know about the merc..

Buying a wrong merc doesnot mean that u will die. You may further sell it. Its just a car not your life.

I don't know y people attach dat much complexities and technicalities to mercedes
    supereagle likes this.

Mentioned
    1483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by syncview View Post
    Yeah I didn't notice

So you didn't remove the frame? :/

The tool he made is a sort of copy of the original tool, the frame only needs to be lowered a little - just to clear the mounting posts on the car and then this puller is assembled with a plate/washer on top to pull out the rear ones (mounts) and opposite for the front ones (bushings). The bushings are pulled up to remove and the mounts are pulled down to remove.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Mentioned
    1483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by haroon_1 View Post
    recently, I also purchased a mercedes benz c180 02 model, w203.. The steering oil was leaking which i didnt noticed at the time of purchase, so i had to go from a steering rack replacement. It costed me around 25k with labour of fitting. From that day my car is perfectly sound, though it is an INH maintained vehicle with complete history.

Mercedes benz is not that much hard to maintain, spares are also not too much costly.. The leisure of the drive is comparatively far better than the same class japanese vehicle. I would suggest u to buy it, if it will not satisfy u then sell it again. Atleast u will know about the merc..

Buying a wrong merc doesnot mean that u will die. You may further sell it. Its just a car not your life.

I don't know y people attach dat much complexities and technicalities to mercedes
    for most - a mercedes is so damn mazboot that it should not break down and they complain on parts because 98% of spare parts in Pakistan are scrapyard sourced. Benz scrap is not common in Pakistan and the people selling them sometimes even ask more than new price. e.g. Fan clutch in yard was Rs 12,000/- new in box at retail shop was Rs 7500/-

Finally they assume that if they bought an S420 (W140) for Rs 500,000/- its entirety of repairs should be less than half that, what they forget is that this car when new cost more than Rs 10,000,000/-

comical isnt it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xulfiqar bhai i am using Meguins ATF smooth, http://www.meguin.de/meguin/produktd...id/e_9424.html
    Shell spirex is not available here, shifting is seem less & smooth, feel bit noise in 1st gear, is that ATF is right?

One other problem is my car's reverse lights are not working in reverse gear, all wiring checked & ok, a guy in shahnawaz said about problem in electric plate or in gear shiftter assembly
    There's no car like Mercedes-Benz.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bro real bummer for a merc !
    Quote Originally Posted by gundabunda View Post
    Well well interesting stuff to read, but let me add a lil up too. Marc's are piece of crap to own, I bought e220 04 in 2011 instead of Toyota crown. Anyways, for the first couple of weeks I was very excited and the car drove like dream, no issues what so ever. 2 weeks later I was on motorway and thought of testing the car, I took the car at 190 kms and believe me it was great until it made couple of jerks within few sec of me speeding, at the back I saw black smoke n nothing else, all the lights on the meter lit up and rpm went to zero, some how I pulled it over to the side. Turned it off n on again, boom the car starts but with rpm dropping no power as I tried to drive and tons of smoke from exhaust. Did that a few times but same, called motorway guys that came, had a look and gave up. Towed the car back home, next morning called inh guys they sent the mechanic home to check the car, found sir PISTON SIDE MAR GAYA? I was like, r u kiddin me? How on earth is that possible? Anyways car towed to INH, they gave me an estimate of like 275 initially, then called again galti lag Gaye it's 325 then in another half an hour, o we missed on those parts it's 390 or something I was like s*** I mean you just spent like hard earned 3 mill on someone that is supposed to go problem free for years and just after 2 weeks another 4 lakhs? Anyways I told them that give me the list of all the parts and I will sort them out my self. The total cost with original merc and KS parts was like 150 and they charged me 75k for labour. Prob fixed, car running in 10 days. They told me not to use AC, it was JULY, just imagine and told me k is k running poori karein. 10 days further down after driving and melting I switched on ac, bang! I doesn't work, called them up, they said o we didn't installed compressor wiring/ piping just in case, I thought how nice! Took it back to them after whole day struggling wi my car and wasting my time around 930pm they said well the compressor's clutch broke, i was like I travelled all the way from Sialkot kindly do so now, thanks to MR Naeem, he agreed, new clutch installed, 5 sec later ping that broke too, then another clutch comes in, guess what NOW THEY BROKE the darn thing where clutch is fitted! Now what? They said ur compressor is not working JERK mar raha hai and broke 2 clutches due to this I was like now? They told me new compressor cost me 45000 I was like another 45000? They said o v have this compressor which is as new and mb original and we will even give u warranty for like a month, 18000! Sounded reasonable I was like fit they said to come back next day as it was 11pm or take it and get it fitted from any good electrician. I had a person in mind n took it off them, next day took the car to electrician to get it fixed he did, switched on ac and still it's not working! I was very angry, he tried his level best but they problem was when u hit ac switch it didn't work but when they applied direct current to compressor it threw ice! He said may b it needs some computer to get it working. 2 days later I went to INH, they said no problem sir, tea or coffee? I was like they are so confident then fine, ok the comp fitting started all the vacuum n bla bla, 3 hours later oh that compressor was short we sourced another 1! I'm looking at their face, in the same day they installed 4 of them none worked, told me to visit them tomorrow which I did, next day they installed 2 more and then finally said we think ur car's SAM is faulty. Again I'm looking at their face, I was like go ahead, PING! The new SAM arrived, installed and PING! The AC just DID NOT work! Finally they diverted me to another workshop, took the car their n mechanic smiled, told me he will charge 15000 and 3 4 hours work and promised me till I keep the car AC band nai hu ga na hi compressor ka issue aye ga, anyways I sounded amazingly brilliant I agreed and it worked!

I know it's getting boring but the story continues,

Few days later I was driving and floored the car, BOOM! A loud noise comes from engine and swept floor from my feet but the car didn't didn't stop or anything, I slowed it down and kept driving, suddenly I felt smoke inside, stopped opened the hood, nothing all good, opened the boot and it was full of smoke, called my mechanic he said your turbo pipe came off just put it back in and I did it was ok but told me to visit him tomorrow, next day when he checked he said its clip is gone and can't be fixed here so have to take the car to Lahore, I called tow truck paid them 12000 for loading and mechanic in Lahore charged 400 for the clip and we were good to go.

Few weeks further down, I was again travelling to Lahore all perfect n good, all of a sudden all the lights flashed and rpm down to zero and car's engine stopped! I was like wtf! Started the car but it refused and the diesel just was all over the floor! Called up for help, mechanic came all the way from Lahore to gujranwala, and found the diesel pipe busted! I was really angry, anyways he replaced it and we were good to go.

After another 1 months I was driving it to my office, I floored it and car tailed, I was like woah so much power, another .5 km I pressed the pedal and same thing! I got alarmed this time, at my u turn I applied the break and the car didn't stop! In a panic some how I just did stopped it very very difficultly still it hit the centre partition or divider! I tried to drive and PING it refused to move forward and back! Luckily my guards saw and came running, now some other fluid came out of the car, later got checked it found the GEAR OIL PIPE came off and the oil was on tyres that cause it to tail and no breaking! Anyways got that fixed.

Finally decided to sell it, at showroom it was parked for like a month, later had a call from showroom that car is giving a lot of smoke and no power, I told them to send it to workshop, over there they found turbo is gone and so is EGR, costed another 2 lakhs and car was good to go!

After some days, my bro was travelling from okara, on the highway car just stopped again! All was fine but didn't start up! Mechanic was called and found that inside the diesel tank there r 2 compartments, 1 compartment is full and other is empty and the pipe in between the 2 came off!

Finally I managed to dispose it too somehow and don't ask me HOW! At 2 million PKR loss and still I distributed Mithi to all! I adored it initially, installed all AMG kits, Carlsson wheels, uplifted it and what not, but it was a real real bad experience. 1 n half years and disaster, 1 after another. Costed me over 4 mill and sold it at 2.1 million. But I'm still glad!
    <BLACK SMITH>

Mentioned
    1483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)

Xulfiqar bhai i am using Meguins ATF smooth, http://www.meguin.de/meguin/produktd...id/e_9424.html
    Shell spirex is not available here, shifting is seem less & smooth, feel bit noise in 1st gear, is that ATF is right?

One other problem is my car's reverse lights are not working in reverse gear, all wiring checked & ok, a guy in shahnawaz said about problem in electric plate or in gear shiftter assembly
    This oil is good for use, the alarming issue is the noise you mention, - do you also hear/feel a buzz at 60 km/h with very light throttle application (converter lock)

For reverse light - the circuit goes through the shifter assembly only and has a delay of half a second, if the gear electrics plate was bad - trust me your car would not have any shift - who was that guy at Shahnawaz Ltd who told you so?

This can be due to badly aligned gearshift lever - its adjusted from under the car

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xulfiqar bhai,

Noise is very little bit like manual trans tooth gear type, but gone in second gear, that noise was also in my 2000 vitz and 85 chevy caprice TH350 trans and no buzz in 60km/h speed in light throttle, car gear shifts very quickly in light throttle and shifts delay when accelerates.

guy who was told me is working as workshop supervisor in shahnawaz.

i have checked lever from P to D but lights are not working, noticed bit play in lever, light on the selector slots "on" (at night when parking lights on) when i pull lever to it, plz tell me solution, gear selection works fine in all slots.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    for most - a mercedes is so damn mazboot that it should not break down and they complain on parts because 98% of spare parts in Pakistan are scrapyard sourced. Benz scrap is not common in Pakistan and the people selling them sometimes even ask more than new price. e.g. Fan clutch in yard was Rs 12,000/- new in box at retail shop was Rs 7500/-

Finally they assume that if they bought an S420 (W140) for Rs 500,000/- its entirety of repairs should be less than half that, what they forget is that this car when new cost more than Rs 10,000,000/-

comical isnt it.
    the only thing i know is a maintained merc is far better than any other car

Mentioned
    1483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)

Xulfiqar bhai,

Noise is very little bit like manual trans tooth gear type, but gone in second gear, that noise was also in my 2000 vitz and 85 chevy caprice TH350 trans and no buzz in 60km/h speed in light throttle, car gear shifts very quickly in light throttle and shifts delay when accelerates.

guy who was told me is working as workshop supervisor in shahnawaz.

i have checked lever from P to D but lights are not working, noticed bit play in lever, light on the selector slots "on" (at night when parking lights on) when i pull lever to it, plz tell me solution, gear selection works fine in all slots.
    If your car is an early type with the 4321 shift gate - then its a high risk type gearbox as it uses a bushing in the 2nd clutch drum - this bushing supports the input shaft and front planet gear set, This bushing can wear out and become egg shaped, it that happens kiss your gearbox goodbye as the planet gears will eat themselves and the ATF will become a swimming pool of metal bits, The later gearboxes did not have this problem and MB replaced that bushing with a needle bearing. The needle bearing parts cannot be swapped in as the planet gear tooth count does not match - if you get a replacement front shaft, your old output shaft wont match as the internal gear tooth count of the rear planet set doesnt match (bang head here ----><-----) - GOOD NEWS IS that if caught early you can replace those two bushings cheaply - sonnax USA make them as replacements. MORE GOOD NEWS IS that if you kept up with ATF changes along with filter changes those bushings almost never wear out.

anyway - long n short of it is that the play is due to missing shift link bushing - it costs USD 1 each that means Rs 100 - your car has 2 one on the shifter arm and one on the trans - dunk them in boiling hot water cup leave for 5 minutes and then install them - they slide in super easy when hot. - the front one (trans) is a PITA - there is only 1.5 inches of gap to work your hands and fingers.

All in all - your trans should be quiet as a mouse' tomb, no tink, tonk, clang, boom etc. you should only hear a shrill whine when starting off from standstill - thats normal sound of the torque converter making lassi of the ATF.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by haroon_1 View Post

True but selling a wrong merc is tougher than buying it :p

http://www.facebook.com/SlightlyInsanePhotography
    http://stores.ebay.com/Denimic-Jeans?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 DENIMIC JEANS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your car is an early type with the 4321 shift gate - then its a high risk type gearbox as it uses a bushing in the 2nd clutch drum - this bushing supports the input shaft and front planet gear set, This bushing can wear out and become egg shaped, it that happens kiss your gearbox goodbye as the planet gears will eat themselves and the ATF will become a swimming pool of metal bits, The later gearboxes did not have this problem and MB replaced that bushing with a needle bearing. The needle bearing parts cannot be swapped in as the planet gear tooth count does not match - if you get a replacement front shaft, your old output shaft wont match as the internal gear tooth count of the rear planet set doesnt match (bang head here ----><-----) - GOOD NEWS IS that if caught early you can replace those two bushings cheaply - sonnax USA make them as replacements. MORE GOOD NEWS IS that if you kept up with ATF changes along with filter changes those bushings almost never wear out.

anyway - long n short of it is that the play is due to missing shift link bushing - it costs USD 1 each that means Rs 100 - your car has 2 one on the shifter arm and one on the trans - dunk them in boiling hot water cup leave for 5 minutes and then install them - they slide in super easy when hot. - the front one (trans) is a PITA - there is only 1.5 inches of gap to work your hands and fingers.

All in all - your trans should be quiet as a mouse' tomb, no tink, tonk, clang, boom etc. you should only hear a shrill whine when starting off from standstill - thats normal sound of the torque converter making lassi of the ATF.
    Yes a sound is like shrill whine when starting off from standstill, no other sound, fliud color is still new same year ago when changed new.
    Is it possible to replace later gearbox (+ -) type to older? seen a W202 with that box, i will arrange Gearlube additive you mentioned and FUCHS 4134 ATF, i already used "KW TRANS X" ATF additive from my one friend in US, i feel better shifting by that.

I remember replaced one bush only other was in good condition but still lights was not working, will check again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes a sound is like shrill whine when starting off from standstill, no other sound, fliud color is still new same year ago when changed new.
    Is it possible to replace later gearbox (+ -) type to older? seen a W202 with that box, i will arrange Gearlube additive you mentioned and FUCHS 4134 ATF, i already used "KW TRANS X" ATF additive from my one friend in US, i feel better shifting by that.

I remember replaced one bush only other was in good condition but still lights was not working, will check again.
    There is a merc C 180 , 95 model, reg 07(Rwp num) for sale , white in color, if interested let me know .Location Attock.

Sent from my A8 using PW Forums mobile app

Mentioned
    1483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)

To change to a steptronic type gearbox you need three things

1 - the gearbox
    2 - the shifter
    3 - the control module.

You will need to do some wiring too and will need a star to make the entire car agree that its now upgraded. Otherwise its like your wife asking you (yeh kon hai aur hamaray ghar me kia kar rahee hai)

kon - gear
    ghar - car
    wife - control logic
    usman_haider84 likes this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very true, i am searching FUCHS 3134 atf for next change, if i found here in pak or otherwise MB 236.14 also this one is easily available

Is this oil will better performer then 236.14 ATF, for early 722.6 trans?
    http://www.meguin.de/liquimoly/medie...09427%20en.pdf

what you recommend?

Mentioned
    1483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)

Very true, i am searching FUCHS 3134 atf for next change, if i found here in pak or otherwise MB 236.14 also this one is easily available

Is this oil will better performer then 236.14 ATF, for early 722.6 trans?
    http://www.meguin.de/liquimoly/medie...09427%20en.pdf

what you recommend?
    The little issue with multi vehicle highly friction modified ATF like this one is that it may work sweet or better than original or it may work differently, while with original spec ATF its guaranteed to work like it should, in our case we want Shell 3403 which is really hard to find in Pakistan. Tons available in any country which has the little A class mercedes hatchbacks sold officially.

I personally use a multivehicle for correct viscosity sake and then add some more ATF stabiliser to make the transmission shift nearly 99.5% like it should.

The 236.14 ATF is nice too. Works really good - In some oddball 722.6 like the sprinter vans buzzing of the torque converter is experienced. In your case it will work perfect. The older 722.6 have a bad pressure regulator spring which requires replacement as it breaks - very easy to change, takes 2 minutes only when the pan is off. Its cheap too

clicky here for spring cost

The biggest advantage the 722.6 is the adaptation. It constantly adjusts itself as it ages to provide the best shifting charecteristics - while doing so it also adapts to fluid nature

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The little issue with multi vehicle highly friction modified ATF like this one is that it may work sweet or better than original or it may work differently, while with original spec ATF its guaranteed to work like it should, in our case we want Shell 3403 which is really hard to find in Pakistan. Tons available in any country which has the little A class mercedes hatchbacks sold officially.

I personally use a multivehicle for correct viscosity sake and then add some more ATF stabiliser to make the transmission shift nearly 99.5% like it should.

The 236.14 ATF is nice too. Works really good - In some oddball 722.6 like the sprinter vans buzzing of the torque converter is experienced. In your case it will work perfect. The older 722.6 have a bad pressure regulator spring which requires replacement as it breaks - very easy to change, takes 2 minutes only when the pan is off. Its cheap too

clicky here for spring cost

The biggest advantage the 722.6 is the adaptation. It constantly adjusts itself as it ages to provide the best shifting charecteristics - while doing so it also adapts to fluid nature
    No converter BUZZ i feel, shifting is quick in lite foot & delay when accelerate nice & sweet, i mixed "KW transX" in Meguin's 236.14 ATF. which i feel very good, should i use also "Slick50 auto trans high mileage treatment"?

what kind of symptoms if bad pressure regulator spring?

seen Mobil1 fully synthetic ATF, is it good for Mercs trans?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Cruze Mobil1 is the oil recommended for mercedes .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

User Tag List