Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to read a digital electricity meter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default How to read a digital electricity meter

Hi All, Does any one know how to read a digital electricity meter. The meter just got installed and has two (up and down) arrow buttons on it, the lcd shows around 7 or 8 different displays including time, date and some readings. Anyone know how to read the readings on this meter and what do the buttons do.
    FJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There are two readings in this meter. One which records during peak and other in off peak hours. I think on number 11 sum of both readings is displayed.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the one with max KW reading .. date or time will have two decimal points

or google the model on net
    "Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't."

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

There must be key pasted on the meter. My meter came with a key pasted as sticker on the meter showing what is there on each serial number.
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I will check again but i think there is no key on meter. I will also post a snapshot tonight. Plus regarding the off pean and on peak hours, what do u mean, does it mean these peak hr rates will only apply to persons with digital meters. Cause there is no way they can check these peak and off peak consumption on old meters.
    FJ

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lazers View Post
    I will check again but i think there is no key on meter. I will also post a snapshot tonight. Plus regarding the off pean and on peak hours, what do u mean, does it mean these peak hr rates will only apply to persons with digital meters. Cause there is no way they can check these peak and off peak consumption on old meters.
    Bro in my meter the serial one display shows the serial number of the meter.
    serial 2 display shows total kw hours which are actually the total units we used to check on our prev meter and that is the thing u r looking for
    serial 3 shows max load ever been on the meter in the last 30 days to give em idea about ur most heavy equipment
    serial 4 shows instantaneous kw load. it will be less if less load at that current time and if u ll phone some one in home to switch off ac it will jump up . It help u to know if anyone is stealing from ur wire or not. switch off all electric components and it ll show u least load. with this display I catch the cable wala who was stealing electricity from my wire but that was so less that I didnt say anything to him.

PS this all info stands valid for a single phase digital meter. not sure if 3 phase works in same way or not.
    my 3 phase meter is still the old one. they only replaced the single phase one

hope that helped
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me know the manufacture of the meter and type, single phase or three phase. You need to get kwh reading. BTW the i've worked in a famous meter manufacturing company where i used to develop OS and some software for their meter.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by umans View Post
    Let me know the manufacture of the meter and type, single phase or three phase. You need to get kwh reading. BTW the i've worked in a famous meter manufacturing company where i used to develop OS and some software for their meter.
    The meter is 3 phase and currently i have the following pictures of the meter. I can get more details at night when i m home.How to read a digital electricity meter -435537How to read a digital electricity meter -435538How to read a digital electricity meter -435539

Thanks for you help
    FJ

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Also i will be interested to know what these two lights below the display means 200 imp / kWh and kvarh as last night these lights were sort of blinking alternatively. One turns on and then turns off and vice versa
    FJ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have observed that when meter reader takes reading, he push the up arrow button and the takes the reading.
    -

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to look for kWh reading.One kWh means one unit of electricity and if you use 1kW or 1000Watts in One hour you will be consuming one unit.Or if for example 500Watts in one hour then you will be using One unit electricity in 2 hours.Now a days Two Tariff regime is in place by IESCO in most parts where it supplies electricity and LESCO also I think must be introducing it.In the daytime the meter will display "B" and from 5PM to 11PM it will display "A".5PM to 11PM is called Peak Time Tariff and these Peak Hours are different in different weathers I guess(I read somewhere on website of a distribution company) moving up or down by an hour but its in evening till mid night or an hour earlier.Peak time tariff by IESCO is around 12 rupees and some paisas and off peak rate is 6 rupees some paisas.So you will be getting two different readings in your bill in future for Peak and off Peak use of electricity and the old system of charging will end in which there were three or four rate slabs for usage of electricity.The Peak Time tariff "A" and Off Peak Time tariff "B" units record is in two different headings in this meter under "A" and "B".And the "A" or "B" displayed under ABC in the meter means which tariff you are being charged for.

And in this particular PEL model serial number 5 displays units in kWh for Rate A(Peak Rate) and serial number 6 displays units in kWh for Rate B(Off Peak Rate).

NOTE: I may have not mentioned exact duration and timings of Peak Hours.I dont remember exactly cause where I live in Islamabad/Pindi, this two tariff regime is still not in place by IESCO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are peak/off peak for LESCO

LESCO - Customer Services

Tarrif is around 14 for peak and 8 Rs for non-peak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The meter is 3 phase and currently i have the following pictures of the meter. I can get more details at night when i m home.How to read a digital electricity meter -435537How to read a digital electricity meter -435538How to read a digital electricity meter -435539

Thanks for you help
    Nice Work, I am following ur thread, interested to know as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doctor View Post
    You need to look for kWh reading.One kWh means one unit of electricity and if you use 1kW or 1000Watts in One hour you will be consuming one unit.Or if for example 500Watts in one hour then you will be using One unit electricity in 2 hours.Now a days Two Tariff regime is in place by IESCO in most parts where it supplies electricity and LESCO also I think must be introducing it.In the daytime the meter will display "B" and from 5PM to 11PM it will display "A".5PM to 11PM is called Peak Time Tariff and these Peak Hours are different in different weathers I guess(I read somewhere on website of a distribution company) moving up or down by an hour but its in evening till mid night or an hour earlier.Peak time tariff by IESCO is around 12 rupees and some paisas and off peak rate is 6 rupees some paisas.So you will be getting two different readings in your bill in future for Peak and off Peak use of electricity and the old system of charging will end in which there were three or four rate slabs for usage of electricity.The Peak Time tariff "A" and Off Peak Time tariff "B" units record is in two different headings in this meter under "A" and "B".And the "A" or "B" displayed under ABC in the meter means which tariff you are being charged for.

And in this particular PEL model serial number 5 displays units in kWh for Rate A(Peak Rate) and serial number 6 displays units in kWh for Rate B(Off Peak Rate).

NOTE: I may have not mentioned exact duration and timings of Peak Hours.I dont remember exactly cause where I live in Islamabad/Pindi, this two tariff regime is still not in place by IESCO.
    Thanks, you are awesum, Doctor have very sound knowledge. He have helped me before when I was finding good dentist.
    You Rock Doctor \m/

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

These digital meters give me feeling of running at a bit high speed then the previous ones. I also got digital one installed yesterday due to the old one got burnt and from 3 pm yesterday to 7 AM today total unit consumed were 40 hmm..
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks doctor and others for helping me out. Was busy yesterday so did not get time, tonight or tomorrow i will check all the displays and see what i can get out of it.
    One question though to repeat, how will they check off peak and peak usage on old meters ? and does this means this BS is only applicable to poor souls who got this digital meter ?

On the other hand i have heard from people and one of the person who had worked in a company which manages software for this meter, that this meter indeed seems a bit faster than the old ones.
    FJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for you help
    In this particular meter sr# 4 is Kwh reading. to verify this, wait for the the display to become black (LCD will show 888888.. and all the symbols that it can display) after that it'll show date, time some other reading and then kwh reading.read that kwh reading and compare it with you bill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks doctor and others for helping me out. Was busy yesterday so did not get time, tonight or tomorrow i will check all the displays and see what i can get out of it.
    One question though to repeat, how will they check off peak and peak usage on old meters ? and does this means this BS is only applicable to poor souls who got this digital meter ?

On the other hand i have heard from people and one of the person who had worked in a company which manages software for this meter, that this meter indeed seems a bit faster than the old ones.
    Its not fast, but its reading threshold is low so it can read consumption that was not possible to detect in mechanical meter. Also wear n tear of mechanical parts can effect the reading in mechanical meter but performance of digital meters will remain same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The old meters do not have this two tariff system.Until and unless they replace all meters or most of them, they will not start this two tariff regime.If total load of house is upto 5000Watts or 5kW, then according to IESCO website they charge you as per old rate slabs and if its above 5000Watts then they charge you as per Two Tariff regime.So they are charging single phase meter customers as per the older slabs and only single phase meters are I think considered upto or below 5kW.

And only 3 phase meter customers are poor souls who are being charged as per Two tariff regime and there must be some 3 phase customers who have installed 3 Phase meters but there total load does not exceed 5kW but they are still being charged as per Two Tariff regime.And IESCO or LESCO or any DISCO dont care whether a person's house load is above or below 5kW(as they dont check while changing meter or installing new meter) but wherever 3 phase meter is installed, they will charge Two tariff regime irrespective of load....What a system they have evolved to mint money....So those who consider there load is below 5kW......change to single phase.......but after reconfirmation with your respective power supply company....as things always change in Pakistan.

As per my experience of digital meter they are not fast.At my home in Kohat, our analogue 3 phase meters were changed to digital ones(not Two tariff regime one's rather simple ones).Both the meters are fine in my opinion as we have compared previous year's same months consumption of old meters with new ones and thats almost the same.But they do have faulty meters which must be FAST.and one of my uncle's home single phase analogue home meter was replaced with digital one and thats very FAST....faulty....

And lastly while checking the readings, if Serial No.5 and 6 dont show up and you have to wait longer.Repeatedly press the upper button again and again until you get reset screen and then date screen.....then wait for the serial numbers 5 and 6 they will show up to you after sometime.

And these meters also show many different things like voltage etc and load in kV at particular time and many other things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List