Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Like Tree379Likes

Thread: My First DSLR - Canon 600D

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My First DSLR - Canon 600D

After a bit of research and interactions with fellow Pak Wheelers; I eventually picked Canon 600D /w 18-135mm IS Kit. The camera was available for 95k from Nisbat Road, Lahore but I preferred buying from a local studio for 96k. (a) I saved fuel expenses (b) He arranged a sealed box direct from Karachi and (c) I got the local warranty

Thanks to @askhokhar, @enerlevel, @jazzy77, @lakhum, @retardedbuddy, @sardarsaeed, @smartboy_am, @vcheng, @versatilegenious and @zaeem89 for nice suggestions and a special thanks to @aesiege

Accessories
    • 32Gb Class 10 card for 5200Rs (Page 1)
    • Tripod (Page 4)
    • Carrying Bag (Page 6)
    • Lens Hood (Page 6)
    • Additional Battery Packs (Page 6)
    • Remote Trigger for Camera/Shutter (Page 6)
    • Canon 50mm/f1.8-II Lens for 9500 from Global Photos, Lahore (Page 6)
    • Canon Speedlite 430EX-II Flashgun for 24500 from Billu Photos, Lahore (Page 6)
    • Mini Tripods from Billu Photos (Page 10)
    • Lens Filters from Billu Photos (Page 10)
    • Flash Modifiers Kit from eBay (Page 10)
    • Umbrella Setup (Page 14)
    • OM to EOS Lens Adapter (Page 16)
    • Raynox DCR-250 from Amazon (Page 17)
    << Index >>

Page 19
    • Balanced Fill Flash, Reducing Noise in High ISO Images, Color Gels, EF 50mm Compact Macro or EFS 60mm Macro
    • Pictures: Balanced Fill Flash Samples
    • Videos: What's new in Adobe Lightroom 4 (Public Beta)?, Adobe Lightroom 4 Develop Module, How to take Portraits with one flash? Composing Portraits
    Page 18
    • Low Key and High Key Portraits "Anywhere", Guide Number, Working Distance of Flashgun, Inverse Square Law, Lightroom - Rotate Crop Aspect, White Balance - To Auto or not?
    • Pictures: Split Toning, Inverse Square Law - Higher Contrast
    • Videos: Low Key photography anywhere (flash tips), High Key photography anywhere (flash tips), Inverse Square Law, Depth of Flash Exposure, Group Shots
    Page 17
    • Raynox DCR-250 , Close Up Lens/Filter, @aesiege posted about how to use Raynox, Searching DSLR Companion (S95 vs S100)
    • Pictures: First shot from Zuiko 50mm f/1.4, Indoor and Outdoor samples using Raynox DCR-250 /w 18-135
    • Videos: Lightroom 3 Noise Reduction Tutorial, Split Toning in Lightroom, Add Dramatic Colors to Photograph using Camera Raw / Photoshop, Unlock Secret Features on Your Digital Camera System (CHDK)
    Page 16
    • Sharpening in Lightroom, Searching DSLR Companion (BI Sensors, Digic V), OM to EOS Lens Adapter
    • Pictures: Artificial Bokeh in Photoshop sample by @getscorpion, Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 on EOS
    Page 15
    • Posts: Setting Exposure in Lightroom, Abstract Photography (Zoom and Spin, Shake and Lensbaby like Bokeh Effect), Need of NEX or Micro 4/3s, @getscorpion posted about creating Bokeh artificially in Photoshop
    • Pictures: Zoom and Spin, Shake, Lensbaby like Bokeh Effect
    • Videos: Panasonic GF2 vs Olympus E-PL2 - which is better?
    Page 14
    • Posts: Facebook and Flick publishing settings in Lightroom, Off Camera Flash, Umbrella Setup
    • Pictures: Light Stand, Umbrellas, Umbrella / Flash Adapter
    • Videos: TTL vs ETTL, Manfrotto 026 Swivel Adapter Review
    Page 13
    • Posts: @enerlevel talked about taking group photos in low light in absence of roof/wall to bounce flash off, @aesiege series of posts about bouncing the built-in flash, Flash Diffuser for P&S
    • Pictures: Flash Diffuser for P&S Sample
    • Videos: DIY Flash Bouncer
    Page 12
    • Posts: Exercise: Built-in Flash / Kit Lens / Low Light, Macro Photography (Reversing the Lens), Raynox DCR-250
    • Pictures: Using Flash in Outdoors - Sample, Macro Shots using Reversing the Lens
    • Videos: Macro Basics, Canon 2X teleconverter with 60D and 70-200mm test, Taking great pictures using close-up lens with Bryan Peterson, Macro Filter, Macro Photography - Extension Tubes Explained
    Page 11
    • Posts: eBay and Western Union, Flash Modifiers - The Experiment, Standee as Reflector?, Platon, Using Flash in Outdoors?, Using Flash in Outdoors - Fill Flash, Using Flash in Outdoors - Simulating Evening
    • Pictures: Coloring Background with Color Masks
    • Videos: Portrait photography in sunny weather using flash, Using Fill Flash to Improve Your Outdoor Photos, Fill Flash with Back Light, Photographic Lesson: Using fill flash, Gary Fong Powersnoot
    Page 10
    • Pictures: Unboxing Flash Modifiers Kit
    • Videos: Small Studio Flash Tips, Rear Curtain Flash Photography, How To Set Custom White Balance in DSLR camera, Weird Background Colors via Flash Color Filtering
    Page 9
    • Posts: Classic Three-Light Setup. Low-Key and High-Key Lighting, Evaluative Through-The-Lens and Hyper-fast Blinkers, Revisiting Bounce Flash, Lightroom - High Contrast Look, Modifying Flashgun
    • Pictures: Bounce Flash Samples
    • Videos: Canon 3Ti Flash Transmitter Menu Controls | Custom Wireless Lesson, Shutter/Flash Synchronization, Bounce Flash, Bouncing the light - how I get directional light from my hot shoe flash
    Page 8
    • Posts: Lighting 101, Gray Zone, Soft and Hard Light, Bokeh, For the sake of fun?, Old is Gold?
    • Videos: Battle of the Bokeh, How To Use Your Old Lenses On a DSLR
    Page 7
    • Posts: Off Camera Flashgun, Difference between 550D and 600D, Bounce Flash, Portrait Photography Notes
    • Pictures: Off-Camera Flashgun vs Built-in Flashgun, Off-Camera Flashgun Experiments, Bokeh of 50mm/f1.8-II in Outdoor
    • Videos: Flash Photography Tips
    Page 6
    • Pictures: Bokeh of 50mm/f1.8-II
    • Videos: RAW File Edit - Adobe Lightroom
    Page 5
    • Posts : @mominhaq, @redbull_ar and @temur_99 on improving indoor portraits, Revisiting Lightroom, Why 600D over D5100?
    • Videos: Digital / Crop Zoom, 320EX Speedlite Review
    Page 4
    • Posts: Built-in Flash Diffuser, @versatilegenious, @aaxer and @sk_v12's guideline for shooting moon
    • Pictures: Lightroom Initial Testing, First Try - Longer Exposures
    Page 3
    • Posts : @lakhum's initial guideline for post processing, @enerlevel's suggestion for indoor portraits
    • Pictures: Initial Clicks
    Page 2
    • Pictures: Live View, Software / Manuals
    Page 1
    • Pictures: Unboxing, Assembling, The Camera
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lighting 101

I am a beginner myself; so correct me where I am wrong. This post and its followups are based on what I have understood reading articles and watching videos on the net.

Lighting has more impact on an image than any other aspect of photography.
    To bring the life in the picture; we need to create the illusion of depth in the 2D medium and its get created through shadows. For portrait; the nose shadow has the most attention. The main light is used to “create” these shadows. Helping lights are used to lit the background; fill in and to soften the shadows.

The reason why on-camera flashgun doesn’t give good result is that on straight ahead face; it produces lighting on the front of the face without creating proper shadows and generally people don’t have narrow and symmetrical faces to look nice in such lighting / situation. If you turn the face of subject slightly things become better but built-in flashguns are hard lights and this generates much dark shadows. Using proper flashgun; the light size increases slightly and moving it off-the-camera you get a directional light and you can generate proper shadows. Bouncing the flashgun light as @lakhum pointed out softens its light and gives much better result.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gray Zone, Soft and Hard Light

Gray Zone is the area between light and shadow; the gradient transitioning from the highlight to the shadow. Soft-Light produces wide Gray Zone and Hard-Light produces narrow Gray Zone…Soft-Light hides the texture…For portraits Soft-Light is required to hide the skin texture; the wrinkles, blemishes and pimples etc. The width of Gray Zone is the measure of contrast. Light creating a wider Gray Zone is more Contrasty Light.

If the light source is large; it will be soft…neither the brightness of the light, nor its diffusion determines the softness. Direct Sunlight is not soft as size of the sun in comparison to sky is small; however clouds spread the size of the sun making it soft. In indoors; Flashgun light is hard; either its on-the-camera or off-the-camera. To make flashgun light soft; we need to bounce it off…either off the walls or ceiling or off the reflector. Soft-Boxes and Umbrellas are used for Soft-Light. Umbrellas create wider gray zone comparing to Soft-Box i-e if you want more contrast; use Umbrella...

If you havnt yet guessed; next plan is to get the Light Umbrella; Light Stand or some mechanism to mount flashgun and umbrella on Tripod....and also try out flashgun diffusers!

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khurram_aziz View Post
    The bokeh of 50mm/f1.8-II in outdoor

My First DSLR - Canon 600D - 6119632573 2a27318458 z
    IMG_0645.jpg by khurramaziz, on Flickr

My First DSLR - Canon 600D - 6120176150 4ac34c6a2c z
    IMG_0653.jpg by khurramaziz, on Flickr

Take a look at Mobeen's http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/road-trips-vacations/168636-june-1-18-2011-my-trip-home-sweet-home-lahore-dream-land-dubai; the most colorful thread...he used 550D!

MashAllah bokeh is giving pretty amazing results. Clarity!
    MashAllah your son is handsome

Sir us thread ka tou im big fan, eik wo thread and eik app, both pulling me towards canon baaqi poori dunya....Nikon
    UJ_36 likes this.
    Buy cheapest iPhone covers at (bulk quantity available with discount)
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/sale/230728-loot-sale-back-covers-iphone-5-5s-4-4s

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bokeh

Bokeh is important; even more in close-up portraits....there are unnatural / odd-looking swirls in 50/1.8 above, but overall its doing a nice job; especially for the price; its the cheapest Canon lens 50/1.4 will definitely give better and 50/1.2 must give best; but their prices increases exponentially (Amazon: 50/1.8 = 106$, 50/1.4 = 346$, 50/1.2 = 1559$)

I am ok with the two lenses I have for the time being...Before going for exotic Canon-L glasses; I will try the old manual glasses first! Check out DigitalRevTV's "Battle of the Bokeh" series

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@khurram

hey, if you ever find adaptors for old manual lenses for the 550d do tell me. Specially old nikkors.
    Flickr; http://www.flickr.com/photos/karim_khan/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@khurram sir you are a teacher now adays .your thread is helping new commers.. and mashALLAH your son is handsome keep the good work going .!!
    High Quality Swiss Replica Watches www.facebook.com/watchzone1 Free delivery across Pakistan Through TCS Payment at the time of delivery.. www.watchzone.pk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Let me post a picture I took the other day, check out bokeh of the 50 1.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My First DSLR - Canon 600D - 6123526668 c861bf6691 b
    Bokeh !!! by Karim-Khan, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Its not the sharpest pictures as it was taken wide open, but hey it works

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lakhum View Post
    Let me post a picture I took the other day, check out bokeh of the 50 1.8
    You are most welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by khurram_aziz View Post
    Before going for exotic Canon-L glasses; I will try the old manual glasses first!
    My First DSLR - Canon 600D -295147

Here is an example of Zuiko (Olympus) 50mm/1.4; it was clicked when our model (Ibrahim) was born and was casually clicked (read no metering) without flash etc...scanned normally with regular scanners of those time (read not scanned in high-res/professionally etc). Its got a smooth bokeh...the noise got added due to the cheap scanner and taking the picture out of those sticking new-born albums!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakhum View Post
    @khurram

hey, if you ever find adaptors for old manual lenses for the 550d do tell me. Specially old nikkors.
    In some thread a fellow PakWheeler posted a contact; that contact further guided me to a shop on Chamberlain Road that basically repairs and considered best for old mechanical / non-D SLRs...he guided me to some "kharadia" who does these adapters / lens grips etc...This was not looking good so I didnt followed it up further. I am thinking to ask my brother who is coming from UK on coming up Eid to get such things...but first we need to identify which manual lenses will work fine (in Manual mode or something) and we might need some focusing accessory for DSLR's viewfinder or something.....the focusing accessory is generic, .specific to camera body/crop size, specific to certain lens adapter or specific to certain lens vendor....this puzzle needs to be sorted out by some late night surfing in coming days! I am meeting few fellow Pak Wheelers photography geeks tomorrow...will sure discuss this with them as well.

Senior PakWheeler medaincredible's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great buy sir jee....
    and great result it is showing...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by medaincredible View Post
    Great buy sir jee....
    and great result it is showing...
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by 2c View Post
    fun aside i appreciate your layman explanation to my question
    Quote Originally Posted by aqgmbest View Post
    @khurram sir you are a teacher now adays .your thread is helping new commers..
    I am just sharing what I am learning. If you guys are liking it; it will push me further
    aqgmbest likes this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just brought a new lens its

15-85mm...

but i am having alot of problem with the focus on the 50mm f1.8... in dark situations , the auto focus seems to lock in very inaccurately. out of 10 "REAL" life photos i took from the 50mm , only 2 or 3 came out to be sharp, the rest were all focused in the wrong or soft........ does anyone have this problem with the 50mm in the dark?
    Nikon D3S , Nikon D800 , 24-70 f2.8 + 70-200 F2.8 VR II + 50 1.8D + SB-900 + SB600
    I am ready for any situation!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ "COOL"

Quote Originally Posted by enerlevel View Post
    but i am having alot of problem with the focus on the 50mm f1.8... in dark situations , the auto focus seems to lock in very inaccurately. out of 10 "REAL" life photos i took from the 50mm , only 2 or 3 came out to be sharp, the rest were all focused in the wrong or soft........ does anyone have this problem with the 50mm in the dark?
    How about specifying the focus point?
    How about using flash...dont fire it; just use its AF assist?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no the 50mm is not locking in properly.... altho it shows me red focused, but after results are all blurry.... and manual focus is not one of my requirements because its very hard for body builders (my project for now is body building pics) to keep on holding to the position till i manual focus..
    Nikon D3S , Nikon D800 , 24-70 f2.8 + 70-200 F2.8 VR II + 50 1.8D + SB-900 + SB600
    I am ready for any situation!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by enerlevel View Post
    no the 50mm is not locking in properly.... altho it shows me red focused, but after results are all blurry.... and manual focus is not one of my requirements because its very hard for body builders (my project for now is body building pics) to keep on holding to the position till i manual focus..
    Take a look at XSi Auto Focus Issue? : Canon XSi | 450D Guide & FAQ | 50D Guide | Digital SLR Tutorial | Photography Guide

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jazzy77 and mqsdrana like this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Old is Gold?

"L" glass vs dirt cheap old glass!

My First DSLR - Canon 600D -295870

My First DSLR - Canon 600D -295868

My First DSLR - Canon 600D -295869

From zuiko 24/2.8 on a digital camera
    mqsdrana and medaincredible like this.

2c
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

c i told ya its a good investment,
    now this investment is giving you return in terms of awesome pictures + knowledge.
    khurram_aziz likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

User Tag List