This My Trekking to Lohgarh.
Lohagarh fort is 7kms south of Malavali station on the Pune-Mumbai railway line. Situated on a side range of Sahyadri mountains, if divides the basins of Indrayani and Pavana rivers. Close to Lohagarh, on its eastern side, there is another fort, called Visapur. The approach to Lohagarh is from the village Lohadwadi, situated in the depression between Lohagarh and Visapur. Climbing from the north towards the village, one can see on the left side the famous Buddhist caves of Bhaja. The four large gats of Lohagarh are very intricately arranged and are still intact. In the later Peshwa period, Nana Fadanis (1742-1800 AD) built several structures in the fort including a big tank and a step-well (bawali). There is also a small temple and grave of a muslim pir. On the west side of the fort there is a long and narrow wall like fortified spur called Vinchukata in Marathi (scorpion sting) because of its natural shape. Visapur Fort is larger and also higher than Lohgarh fort. Now in ruins, its history is close
It divides the basins of the Indrayani and Pavna and is situated on a side range of the Sahyadris. The Visapur fort is located on its eastern side. The four large gates of Lohagad are still in good condition and reasonably intact. Historical records show that in the later Peshwa period, Nana Phadnavis (1742-1800 AD) built several structures in the fort such as a big tank and a step-well (bawali).
On the west side, there is a long and narrow wall-like fortified spur called Vinchukata (Marathi for Scorpion's tail; see picture) because of its shape. Lohagad has a long history with several dynasties occupying it at different periods of time: Satavahanas, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Yadavas, Bahamanis, Nizamshahis, Mughals and Marathas. Shivaji captured it in 1648 CE, but he was forced to surrender it to the Mughals in 1665 CE by the Treaty of Purandar. Shivaji recaptured the fort in 1670 CE and used it for keeping his treasury.