Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Which tyres for Altis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which tyres for Altis?

Normally I am the one giving out advice for tires but it turns out that my favorite tire in the market, Dunlop SP Sport 9000 is not coming anymore and most of the stock in the market is re stamped. I don't want to take any risk as this car is used on the highways and for me, my life is more important than a couple of thousand rupees so I am looking for the best possible option.

I am looking for a grippy and comfortable tire which is noise-free which means no Falken Ze-912 (it is noisy) and no entry level tires like Yoko A, Dunlop Eco/LM/SP Sport 300 etc and no Bridgestones!. Looking forward to your recommendations and please list approx. price. Size offcourse would be the stock size which I guess is 195/60/R15.

P.S. If you are going to post a recommendation, please explain it a bit too. I, respectfully am not looking for 1 word recommendations

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

i keep hearing good things from people having yoko C drive or DB series tyres
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Are Michelins available there?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@mani1 - go for Michelins Energy saver. Soft tyre with very nice road grip yet no noise and long life. Perhaps the best tyre for Pakistani roads. I'm using it for the last 3 years on my City iDSI. This tyre has considerably enhanced my car's road grip and improved the braking, something Honda City is not really famous for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling that this thread is going to generate good advice.

I have 205 Yokohama dB series tires in my GLi 2010 ... For normal conditions, they are very good. I have used them for 20,000 km. However, under even slightly slippery conditions, I don't feel secure while driving. Performance is not really bad, but I am talking about
    REAL secure feeling.

Tires are very important ... they are your link to the road, and they should not become a victim of any compromise.
    usman_khawaja and onlyfaith like this.

Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)

you type a BIG NO for Bridgestone so I cannot proceed further on keyboard !!!
    Love For All Hatred For None

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    i keep hearing good things from people having yoko C drive or DB series tyres
    Yep they seem to be pretty popular especially dB. Lets see

Quote Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
    Are Michelins available there?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by aakbar View Post
    @mani1 - go for Michelins Energy saver. Soft tyre with very nice road grip yet no noise and long life. Perhaps the best tyre for Pakistani roads. I'm using it for the last 3 years on my City iDSI. This tyre has considerably enhanced my car's road grip and improved the braking, something Honda City is not really famous for.
    Thanks for the review! will keep in mind

Quote Originally Posted by askhokhar View Post
    I have a feeling that this thread is going to generate good advice.

I have 205 Yokohama dB series tires in my GLi 2010 ... For normal conditions, they are very good. I have used them for 20,000 km. However, under even slightly slippery conditions, I don't feel secure while driving. Performance is not really bad, but I am talking about
    REAL secure feeling.

Tires are very important ... they are your link to the road, and they should not become a victim of any compromise.
    Thanks. I've also heard that dB is pretty comfortable and noise-free but I was a bit apprehensive about its grip which you just confirmed. My car is used on the highways, where there are abrupt lane changes, truck overtaking etc which involve successive braking & acceleration so grip is important to me. I can only hope that there is some sort of replacement for SP Sport 9000. That secure feeling is very important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by accord7362 View Post
    you type a BIG NO for Bridgestone so I cannot proceed further on keyboard !!!
    Its a personal preference. I don't like hard tires at all.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you find Yoko C-Drive they are awsum,
    Ocean is an Ocean, Ocean won't be a machine; where machine is a machine it cant be the Ocean, machine do run over Ocean but Ocean do ruin the machine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used Goodyear GT3 195/65/15 on City 09 for 22,000; and they worked great...my driving style matches to yours...I had used GT3s on Cultus for 1,60,000 before City with two changes as well. They last for 90k without any issue. When I sold my Cultus the tyres were about 70k driven but didnt had to change. Their M M Alam Road dealer is best; gives genuine thing; but have slightly higher prices as they say they dont deal in smuggled stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mani1 View Post
    Normally I am the one giving out advice for tires but it turns out that my favorite tire in the market, Dunlop SP Sport 9000 is not coming anymore and most of the stock in the market is re stamped.
    Please shed some more light; how can we check tyre is restamped? I will be shopping for my new ride's tyres soon InshaAllah. I am not in Lahore anymore and here in Faisalabad we dont have authentic dealers so this info will be useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khuziz View Post
    Used Goodyear GT3 195/65/15 on City 09 for 22,000; and they worked great...my driving style matches to yours...I had used GT3s on Cultus for 1,60,000 before City with two changes as well. They last for 90k without any issue. When I sold my Cultus the tyres were about 70k driven but didnt had to change. Their M M Alam Road dealer is best; gives genuine thing; but have slightly higher prices as they say they dont deal in smuggled stuff.
    Thanks but GT3 is again an entry level tire. The upper end of Goodyear are all hard tires and I would stay away from them even if they were given free to me. Have very bad memories with Goodyear Eagle F1

Quote Originally Posted by khuziz View Post
    Please shed some more light; how can we check tyre is restamped? I will be shopping for my new ride's tyres soon InshaAllah. I am not in Lahore anymore and here in Faisalabad we dont have authentic dealers so this info will be useful.
    By examining the date stamp, feeling its texture relative to rest of the markings and checking the inside side. Thats how I do it, and I am not sure whether its the correct way or not. Storm, was the first one who highlighted re-stamping issue on PW so he may be better able to explain

@All

I just came back from the market. Looks like SP Sport 9000 is indeed available. These are the rates

Dunlop SP Sport 9000 - Rs. 6750/tire Made in Japan (My favorite and 31st week of 2010 date stamp)
    Michelin Energy Saver - Rs. 8000/tire Made in Russia (is a good soft tire and noiseless)
    Yokohama dB - Rs. 8200/tire (Pakwheels favorite)

Yokohama dB and C drive are not available in the market. I am pleasantly surprised by the price of SP Sport 9000 as it is a much better and more expensive (internationally) tire than both Michelin Energy Saver and dB. The only complaints of SP Sport 9000 are that it wears out quickly (does not matters for me as I already believe in using tires max for 40k km), slight noise (I am already using one and its bearable though I would prefer a noiseless tire but we can't get everything we wish can we?). Accounting for local business practices, the chances of 9000 being res-tamped are also low because it seems to be in low demand (as indicated by lower prices).

Anyways looks like I am going for SP Sport 9000 once again unless someone can convince me that the tire being sold in the market is a re-stamped one or that others are much superior

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I dont think it much of a big deal as you are making it almost every tire will be suitable its just an Altis.

all your concern should be the speed rating and the tire being fresh.

and what ever tire you get it deforms after 30,000km because of the road conditions.

though if you are that choosy get some pirelli something like P4 or P6.

I am using Dunlop digi eco for 4 years now and am totally satisfied only problem is its performance in rain(thats not much of problem in city but on high one has to drive around 100)
    RIP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    I dont think it much of a big deal as you are making it almost every tire will be suitable its just an Altis.

and what ever tire you get it deforms after 30,000km because of the road conditions.

I am using Dunlop digi eco for 4 years now and am totally satisfied only problem is its performance in rain(thats not much of problem in city but on high one has to drive around 100
    )
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@mani: dude suggested by our PW brothers, i went with Yokohama db (195/65r15) for my dad's civic VTi 2002 & i can say nothing but good things about it. previous tires were Yokohama A539's (almost completed their life)
    the most obvious difference was road noise. i never felt any road noise with old tires, but with db the drive was really truly QUIET....
    enhanced road grip & breaking performance - i don't know about you guys, but i'm really confident about the grip of these tires, the car really hugs the road. i've taken the car to 140km/h, didnt have any issues with the grip.

can't comment on the durability part, only used the tires for a year (approx 8000km)

the tires i got were fresh. got 'em last april, & they were manufactured in 1st week of '10
    so as far as my opinion goes, a big Thumbs-Up to Yokohama db!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You once said that Nitto tires are actually world class tires. So why dont you check the faisal town market [Kotha Pind]. Since Nitto's are flooded there and every second dealer suggests and forces on Nitto for some reason. Even though the thread pattern of Nitto's are pretty nice. No idea about their performance.
    R18 boyz!.....Powered by Honda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

? Are you saying that asking for advice on PW is a big deal? Or comprehensively listing requirements is?

I am using Dunlop digi eco for 4 years now and am totally satisfied only problem is its performance in rain(thats not much of problem in city but on high one has to drive around 100)
    Thanks but Digi Eco is not what I have in mind

Quote Originally Posted by gn2903 View Post
    @mani: dude suggested by our PW brothers, i went with Yokohama db (195/65r15) for my dad's civic VTi 2002 & i can say nothing but good things about it. previous tires were Yokohama A539's (almost completed their life)
    the most obvious difference was road noise. i never felt any road noise with old tires, but with db the drive was really truly QUIET....
    enhanced road grip & breaking performance - i don't know about you guys, but i'm really confident about the grip of these tires, the car really hugs the road. i've taken the car to 140km/h, didnt have any issues with the grip.

can't comment on the durability part, only used the tires for a year (approx 8000km)

the tires i got were fresh. got 'em last april, & they were manufactured in 1st week of '10
    so as far as my opinion goes, a big Thumbs-Up to Yokohama db!
    Thanks! Even if I wanted to go with dB, its not available in the market. Btw have you driven any other tire than A539? If yes please write a dB v/s that tire comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by airomerix View Post
    You once said that Nitto tires are actually world class tires. So why dont you check the faisal town market [Kotha Pind]. Since Nitto's are flooded there and every second dealer suggests and forces on Nitto for some reason. Even though the thread pattern of Nitto's are pretty nice. No idea about their performance.
    I visited the market but No Falken/Nitto/Toyo was available. I never said any brand was excellent. It all depends on the model. These are exotic names and yes I would love to get them, even over 9000, if I can get the model I am looking for. Outdated models are available in the local market with previous gen tread patterns

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mani1 View Post
    ? Are you saying that asking for advice on PW is a big deal? Or comprehensively listing requirements is?

I don't want to take any risk as this car is used on the highways and for me, my life is more important than a couple of thousand rupees so I am looking for the best possible option.
    your concerns are a big deal. Its just an altis. which will run around 140 max so any tire would work.

about digi eco that is my experience regarding it and my suggestion was pirelli P4 or P6.
    RIP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sir stock tire size for altis (corolla) is 195/65/r15 not 195\60\r15 and as you are looking for a grippy and comfortable tire which is noise-free i can suggest you Yokohama db which is very less noisy as i have checked it on a friends GLI and it was really soft and it is also available in 195\65\r15 with speed and load ratting of 91H which is for stock tire of altis.

when purchasing new tires please check the thread of tire and check the tire form inside before mounting it on the rims because as i know tire's manufacturing date might be changed but thread cannot be tempered.

sir i will suggest you to go for 205\65\r15 as currently in my altis i am using dunlop sp sport 9000 and completely satisfied with it as i am living in village but my altis have never touched the ground!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I mentioned earlier, I am using Yoko dB series 205/65/R15 in my GLi 2010. The tyres are great for normal city commuting and of course, they are noiseless.

However, since I travel often between Islamabad and Lahore, I must record my concerns. I dont do any rash driving, but on the highway, I have touched 170. These tyres are okay up to 140 km/h, but beyond that you don't feel very secure.

Secondly, muddy/ slippery conditions are quite common in Pakistan. These very sought after tyres are very disappointing. Couple of months back, I went to a resort near Chakwal. A Suzuki pick-up was leading the way. After the rain it was a little muddy, but the Suzuki pick-up had much better traction than my GLi ... That felt very embarrassing ...

Thirdly, on wet roads, you don't feel secure at all. ... trust me on this or try it yourself.

My tyres are still new .. I don't want to waste money by changing them now, but it is on my agenda to replace them with better tyres next time. The tyres are our link to the road, and we should go for the best we can afford.

Since our brother Mani1 travels on highways, he needs to have the best tyres available.

Quote Originally Posted by husnain5 View Post
    sir stock tire size for altis (corolla) is 195/65/r15 not 195\60\r15 and as you are looking for a grippy and comfortable tire which is noise-free i can suggest you Yokohama db which is very less noisy as i have checked it on a friends GLI and it was really soft and it is also available in 195\65\r15 with speed and load ratting of 91H which is for stock tire of altis.

when purchasing new tires please check the thread of tire and check the tire form inside before mounting it on the rims because as i know tire's manufacturing date might be changed but thread cannot be tempered.

sir i will suggest you to go for 205\65\r15 as currently in my altis i am using dunlop sp sport 9000 and completely satisfied with it as i am living in village but my altis have never touched the ground!
    onlyfaith likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been using Dunlop SP Sport 9000 205/70R14 on my GLi 2006. I changed the tyres as soon as I got the car. They are now 55,000 km driven (MashAllah) and they still have not deformed.

Yes the tyre size is humongous and it does spoil the look of my car, but the tyre itself? Abso-freaking-lutely awesome. Stick to it brother Mani1. You will love it.

I've driven the car at 160km/h on the motorway during the rainstorm that hit us in the winter (on way from Peshawer to Lahore). There was no loss of grip at all. Dunlop is an excellent tyre and I don't know why people don't prefer them.
    Hands. Heart. Soul. Porsche. ♥

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bhai, how is the noise level of these tyres?

Quote Originally Posted by jayb View Post
    I have been using Dunlop SP Sport 9000 205/70R14 on my GLi 2006. I changed the tyres as soon as I got the car. They are now 55,000 km driven (MashAllah) and they still have not deformed.

Yes the tyre size is humongous and it does spoil the look of my car, but the tyre itself? Abso-freaking-lutely awesome. Stick to it brother Mani1. You will love it.

I've driven the car at 160km/h on the motorway during the rainstorm that hit us in the winter (on way from Peshawer to Lahore). There was no loss of grip at all. Dunlop is an excellent tyre and I don't know why people don't prefer them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

User Tag List