Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeep_junkie

Thread: Replacing drum brakes with Disk brakes

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replacing drum brakes with Disk brakes

Hello all I have a 92 Suzuki Swift and I want to know if their is any shop in Karachi which can replace my cars rear wheel drum brakes with disk brakes. And if so where can I find such shop and how much would it cost, since the fact is well known that disk brakes are better at stopping cars the drum brakes are.
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing drum brakes with Disk brakes -1262400..........
    Pakistan <3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Car will loose road grip while applying breaks

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk 2
    Nauman

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mn_akram View Post
    Car will loose road grip while applying breaks

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk 2
    Explanation could help us more....!

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums mobile app
    Yahoo i got the app at last...!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

does any of the version of 92 swift came with rear disk brake if yes than u can replace it with original part else alteration wont work
    as it isnt an easy task u need to change hand brake setup as well

btw why do u want to change it is ur car turbo charged or modified if not u need to service ur stock ones

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did that in my Corolla 98. Its working perfect now
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you said that the car will lose grip how's that possible?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asad1 View Post
    does any of the version of 92 swift came with rear disk brake if yes than u can replace it with original part else alteration wont work
    as it isnt an easy task u need to change hand brake setup as well

btw why do u want to change it is ur car turbo charged or modified if not u need to service ur stock ones
    The couple of mechanics i've talked to didn't say anything about changing the handbrake setup, the reason i need to change it is that the brakes are a bit too soft for my liking even though i've serviced my stock brakes it doesn't stop my car well as the 11 camry does. It has disk brake's and stops very well and i don't have to press my brake pedal down too much, in fact i've checked and driven a couple of other cars which contain disk brakes and drum brakes in each of them the disk brakes beat the drum brakes in stopping the car faster, better and safer. Thus the reason for looking for drum brakes for my car.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IS their not even an aftermarket version of disk brakes available for the car? As it is said that many aftermarket parts are available for cars in the car markets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Never go for alteration or after market local parts as safety does matter and brake isn't a piece of cake can end up to death

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using PW Forums mobile app

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaqas1 View Post
    Did that in my Corolla 98. Its working perfect now
    Waqas Ur case is entirely different rear wheel disc brake came in Jdm corolla and they are bolt. On fit there is no issue but disc brake 92 swift is pretty rare

Btw can u share the pic of Ur swift is like margalla?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using PW Forums mobile app

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 Swift is essentially one of the first versions of Khyber before the Suzuki company gave that design to Khyber and then changed the Swift's design afterwards so if you want to see the swift just look at any Khyber on the road right now since all the part's are the same as the Khyber.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@aijazkhalid, the 1992 Swift was sold in a 2 door configuration as the Cultus GTi in foreign markets. IF this car came with rear disc brakes, you might be able to use them for the swap, though I highly doubt any stuff for those cars is available in our junkyards.

A few words of caution before you go on a wild goose chase now:

Converting to rear discs doesn't automatically solve all your braking issues. The front brakes do >80% of the braking. The job of the rear brakes is to provide additional drag while keeping the car's rear end straight and planted firmly on the ground. Just one look at the size the tiny drum brakes on the Swift should give you a hint of how little work is expected of them. Almost any disc brake conversion you do that is not OEM for this car will be larger in size than even the front brakes causing very poorly balanced brakes and a car that takes even longer to stop.

Rear disc brakes also require swapping to a larger diameter master cylinder and possibly bigger booster as well because of the greater volume of fluid required to operate 4 wheel disc brakes. I installed rear disc brakes on my Jeep CJ7 recently, and I still had to change the master cylinder as the pedal would sink all the way to the floor with original cylinder. Keep in mind, I didn't even use an oversize performance set up, just Suzuki Potohar discs with Corolla rear calipers (same as 86 Pajero rear calipers, but easier to install). Braking is pretty much the same as before, the main improvement being in pedal feel, brake modulation, and vehicle pitch. Now I need to modify my parking brake cables for it to work with the disc brakes. That's something you'll also have to worry about too.

All in all that money would have been better spent on other things. It was not inexpensive and the improvement really is marginal. If you want to improve braking performance, look at upgrading your front brakes (larger discs and calipers) first. Also remember that larger alloy wheels and oversized tyres ruin braking performance. Lastly, remember that a 1992 Swift will never have the same braking performance as a 2011 Camry, short of installing Brembo binders that cost more than the car itself is worth.
    Anyone likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

its is better to upgrade original one by add good booster which will be bolt on fixed this is what id did in my margalla i installed baleno booster in it and braking was damn awesome after it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can I disc brake my 86 rolla, and reason for that, aggressive driving, mountain shXt, bla bla...
    or any other car that would fit, so i will upgrade the whole setup to efficient setup...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie View Post
    @aijazkhalid, the 1992 Swift was sold in a 2 door configuration as the Cultus GTi in foreign markets. IF this car came with rear disc brakes, you might be able to use them for the swap, though I highly doubt any stuff for those cars is available in our junkyards.

A few words of caution before you go on a wild goose chase now:

Converting to rear discs doesn't automatically solve all your braking issues. The front brakes do >80% of the braking. The job of the rear brakes is to provide additional drag while keeping the car's rear end straight and planted firmly on the ground. Just one look at the size the tiny drum brakes on the Swift should give you a hint of how little work is expected of them. Almost any disc brake conversion you do that is not OEM for this car will be larger in size than even the front brakes causing very poorly balanced brakes and a car that takes even longer to stop.

Rear disc brakes also require swapping to a larger diameter master cylinder and possibly bigger booster as well because of the greater volume of fluid required to operate 4 wheel disc brakes. I installed rear disc brakes on my Jeep CJ7 recently, and I still had to change the master cylinder as the pedal would sink all the way to the floor with original cylinder. Keep in mind, I didn't even use an oversize performance set up, just Suzuki Potohar discs with Corolla rear calipers (same as 86 Pajero rear calipers, but easier to install). Braking is pretty much the same as before, the main improvement being in pedal feel, brake modulation, and vehicle pitch. Now I need to modify my parking brake cables for it to work with the disc brakes. That's something you'll also have to worry about too.

All in all that money would have been better spent on other things. It was not inexpensive and the improvement really is marginal. If you want to improve braking performance, look at upgrading your front brakes (larger discs and calipers) first. Also remember that larger alloy wheels and oversized tyres ruin braking performance. Lastly, remember that a 1992 Swift will never have the same braking performance as a 2011 Camry, short of installing Brembo binders that cost more than the car itself is worth.
    You said to look into upgrading the size of front brake disks and calipers. So from where can i get the Best quality and resonable priced disks and calipers from in Karachi and how much should it cost me to have it replaced by my mechanic?
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aijazkhalid View Post
    You said to look into upgrading the size of front brake disks and calipers. So from where can i get the Best quality and resonable priced disks and calipers from in Karachi and how much should it cost me to have it replaced by my mechanic?
    Thanks.
    You need to talk to a mechanic who specializes in alterations, and he can guide you best about which discs and calipers to use. The parts are available in Magazine Lane behind Tibet Centre (Plaza) or Shershah.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a swift as well and my brakes suck as well... I need better braking as well...
    @aijazkhalid do let me know what improvements you did with your breaks once you are done

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

double post, please delete

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List