Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Accord CL7 feels underpowered - PLEASE HELP!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Accord CL7 feels underpowered - PLEASE HELP!

Hello all...

I've been a visitor on this site for many years but this is my first post. I have recently bought a Honda Accord CL7, model 2005, imported and registered 2008.

Before this car, I had the 1800 Civic, which was quite a fast car. Compared to that, the acceleration of the Accord seems slower - is that the way its supposed to be?

I discussed this problem with Honda South and with Khan Motors. They both said that it could be the fuel pump. Honda quoted Rs. 48000 for a new fuel pump while Khan Motors quoted Rs. 14,000. I gave the car to Khan Motors - after checking they told me that the fuel pump needed to be serviced and fuel filter was cleaned. This improved the situation slightly, but not much.

Personally, I don't know too much about cars, so I desperately need the advice of accord owners and experts here:

1. Is it normal to have drastically reduced performance when the AC is on (for this particular car)?

2. Could it be the fuel pump needing to be replaced?

3. Would modifying the air intake and the direct exhaust make a difference?

4. Someone suggested that it seems like the AC is putting too much of a load on the car, which can happen if gas is incorrectly filled in the ac. Is this true?

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I am so disappointed in this car because of these problems, specially since I have always wanted this model of Accord. Should I just sell it?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The problems you listed are one of the reasons why people opt for a Brand new Civic then a few years old import.
    These problems are pretty much normal cause most illiterates here use these imports as sports cars and abuse the hell out of them.

Khan motors is a very reputed workshop so I am sure that whatever they did with your suspension will last, they also have a lot of experience in this field. But however if you encounter similar problem again then do pay them another visit.

I would advise you to change the fuel pump, get tuning done and change all the liquids in the car to kinda give it a fresh life.

And if both workshops are assuming that this problem is caused by fuel filter, then i guess that is the culprit.

The "direct exhaust" your friend told you about is actually called a "free flow exhaust". They remove all the dholkis or whatever and make a free flow pipe all the way down the car which gives a nice sound and improves performance a bit. That's a different matter depending upon if you want to increase the factory performance. I don't see how that can fix the main targeted problem as free flow exhaust is like an add on, i don't think it can resolve this issue.

Modifying the exhaust system and adding an air intake will increase your performance but I feel that the problem will still persist, but you will just get a slight gain in performance.

Its normal to have a slightly reduced acceleration when AC is on but definitely not a drastic difference.

You should take the car to a reputed AC mechanic and have him sort out this issue, he'll tell you best if the gas for AC is filled incorrectly or incompletely.

Hope I was of help..
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1. Have your air filter checked out and replaced if needed

2. Have the throttle body serviced

3. Check the catalytic converter to see if its choked, if it is, then that is the reason for the car acting sluggish. You should eventually get a MIL on the dashboard if this keeps up.

4. Lastly have the rear O2 sensor checked out to see if its working properly. You can have that done at any good workshop which has a proper OBD scanner. The scanner will graph out the sensor readings.

I would suggest you take your car to Road Runners (ask for Ayub or Amjad). They are competent people who know what to do.

The "direct exhaust" your friend told you about is actually called a "free flow exhaust". They remove all the dholkis or whatever and make a free flow pipe all the way down the car which gives a nice sound and improves performance a bit. That's a different matter depending upon if you want to increase the factory performance. I don't see how that can fix the main targeted problem as free flow exhaust is like an add on, i don't think it can resolve this issue.
    This is an extremely stupid "solution" to say the least. Not only will it increase exhaust noise to unbearable levels, it will toss the fuel economy out the window.

Modifying the exhaust system and adding an air intake will increase your performance but I feel that the problem will still persist, but you will just get a slight gain in performance.
    CL7/9 already has a cold air intake with resonator, changing it will actually decrease the performance rather than give it any boost. All an aftermarket intake does for such cars is reduce low end torque and increase intake noise. Not recommended.

Oh yes one more thing, check the cabin filter of your car. If its clogged, not only will cooling go down the toilet the AC compressor will be unable to trip like it is supposed to.
    ProSpeed Imports -- www.prospeedimports.com -- Car parts direct from USA, Japan & Europe to your doorstep! Email us at special.requests@prospeedimports.com. Don't forget to ask about our special car wrapping, change the color of your car without changing the paint ;-)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks guys for the quick response...

Is Road Runners in Karachi? Where exactly is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cylestyne View Post
    1. Have your air filter checked out and replaced if needed

2. Have the throttle body serviced

3. Check the catalytic converter to see if its choked, if it is, then that is the reason for the car acting sluggish. You should eventually get a MIL on the dashboard if this keeps up.

4. Lastly have the rear O2 sensor checked out to see if its working properly. You can have that done at any good workshop which has a proper OBD scanner. The scanner will graph out the sensor readings.

I would suggest you take your car to Road Runners (ask for Ayub or Amjad). They are competent people who know what to do.

This is an extremely stupid "solution" to say the least. Not only will it increase exhaust noise to unbearable levels, it will toss the fuel economy out the window.

CL7/9 already has a cold air intake with resonator, changing it will actually decrease the performance rather than give it any boost. All an aftermarket intake does for such cars is reduce low end torque and increase intake noise. Not recommended.

Oh yes one more thing, check the cabin filter of your car. If its clogged, not only will cooling go down the toilet the AC compressor will be unable to trip like it is supposed to.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Road Runners is located near Tooba Masjid in defence.
    ProSpeed Imports -- www.prospeedimports.com -- Car parts direct from USA, Japan & Europe to your doorstep! Email us at special.requests@prospeedimports.com. Don't forget to ask about our special car wrapping, change the color of your car without changing the paint ;-)

6. 31-08-2010, 05:15 PM

Senior PakWheeler

Reason