1) I have just purchased a Honda Accord CF-3 2002 F18B A/T about a month back. The car had following electrical issues:
a) Two check lights EPS and SRS
b) Power windows and central locking not working. Power windows operate from their respective locations but not from driver?s master control switch.
c) Speedometer, Odometer and trip-meter not working
2) I went to see three different electricians who unanimously declared that all the issues were related to the master switch and multiplexes or CAN Bus controllers located under the dash- one on the driver?s side and other on the passenger?s side. All of them advised to find out the controllers from junk market and get these at hand before commencing any repairs. Unfortunately the item was not available in the local junk market. The last electrician I visited seemed to be more conversant with the issue and technically quite sound. Moreover he had the some of the schematics of electrical wiring and some software on his computer related to repairs (these were not specifically related to the make and model of my car but he said he could get hold of the required ones from somewhere). He vows to make a try to repair these controllers. Another option suggested by all these electricians is to install a remote controlled central locking device using the actuators already fixed and make power windows operational by changing the master switch with some other one with a different mechanism and in this case existing wiring and motors will be used. However all could not satisfy me as to how will they make speedo and odo operational and said that they will see to it.
3) I contacted a friend in Peshawar who owns a junk business and he suggested that I should go there with the car and find the required parts and get the problem fixed there so that if anything does not match it may be returned. Else he can send me the controllers which may not bear exact part nos but will be of similar models but in this case returns are not guaranteed. Moreover it may become inconvenient if anything else is found to be defective.
4) After all this I turned to the internet search for these issues with other people and suggested or tried solutions. Resultantly, I found a fix for EPS (EPS Reset? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum) and SRS light( ***Resetting SRS Light** - Honda-Tech). When I tried, the EPS reset procedure worked like a charm and EPS was back with all the bells and whistles and the check-light was gone. However the SRS reset did not work. I found two means for resetting power windows and central locking Resetting the Power Window Control Unit and All of the sudden my power locks dont' work, cant control passenger side windows - Honda-Tech but both failed for me. The reasons could be ? for SRS reset probably I failed to exactly locate the Memory erase signal connector, the reset procedure was for some other generation cars or for some other reason which I could not understand.
5) I must add here that reset of EPS by following the procedure learnt from internet lowered my confidence in the diagnosis given by the electrician that both the controllers are altogether gone and also made me think that there must a way to wake up the computer which is fast asleep and not letting the system work as it should.
6) A few days back I saw a similar model car in the market and I requested the owner to allow me to check my power windows master switch by swapping with the one installed in his car and he kindly agreed. The result was a good news for me that the switch worked fine in his car.
7) In view of the narration above, I request the experts to advise me if they have any knowledge of a reset procedure for my problems. Else suggest whether I should go for repair of the controllers or to get them replaced.
- Used Cars
- New Cars
- Cool Rides
- Post an Ad