Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By sulemanb
  • 2 Post By Xulfiqar
  • 1 Post By Xulfiqar
  • 4 Post By Xulfiqar
  • 1 Post By CarSaaz

Thread: honda accord CNG high consumption - HELP

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    sulemanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    30
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default honda accord CNG high consumption - HELP

    I have honda accord 1988 model, genuine 1800cc automatic transmission with A18a1 (1.8 liters) engine.
    I have 55kg cylendar and I am getting 60km average in city. And long routes 85 to 90km on full cylender.
    On petrol car gives 8km/liter in city and 11km/liter on motorway.

    Please suggest how to increase CNG mileage and what should be average mileage on Cng in this car. People having 1.6 accord gerts 120+km average.
    I have silencer nozzle removed for exhaust sound, does it increase fues/cng comsumption? And RPM is set to 1.3 in neutral and in "D" it is near to 1. And I normally drive with soft paddle.
    If it is a tuning issue please recommend some good CNG mechanic/technician in Lahore.

    Waiting for experts advice.


  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    hash4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,367
    Follows
    18
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    3
    Good Answers
    13

    Default

    get the rpm max at 1
    (should be 800 ideally)
    check if timing is advanced properly.get car re tuned/plugs/air filter
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    afnan_88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dubai
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Accord has a very powerful engine n i think the mileage is not bad for a 1800 cc car n the engine is old too
    I Love JDM Cars . . .

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    sulemanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    30
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    i do agree that 1800cc engine is powerful and old too, but still you get 150 or 130km mileage with 1.6 engine for the same model. with additional 200cc for 1.8 engine how can consumption rate go this much high.

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    n4naqvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    43
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    The figures are exactly same for my CF3 with F18B 1.8 litre
    I compared it with reborn 1.8 litre but ..... :-(
    The public is wonderfuly tolerant. It forgives everything except genius. (Oscar Wilde)

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    sulemanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    30
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n4naqvi View Post
    The figures are exactly same for my CF3 with F18B 1.8 litre
    I compared it with reborn 1.8 litre but ..... :-(
    bro so did you find any way to improve CNG consumption?
    i m going to change plugs, plug wires, and i have oil in my cng cylinder, i hope cleaning oil from cylinder will improve milage, FINGER CROSSED> will post back results.

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    PKTUN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Khuzdar
    Posts
    1,067
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    1800 engine sai aur keya chahyea bhai jan ? 60km ko 600 karna hai tou HONDA ka CG 125 engine swap karyeay na
    freedom of speech (less country family & religion)

  8. #8
    PakWheeler Follow
    sulemanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    30
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @PKTUN, sir konsi 1800cc gari 60km karti hai 55L cylinder pe? sari 100km tak karti hain within city.

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    xevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    35
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    btw @suleman my accord does 10km per kg... aur har cng station ka vakree science hoti hai, kabi 8kg mae full hoti hai ya kabhi 6kg mae... bottom line 10km per kg is wat i can say... On petrol it depends how i drive, and as per my calculation it is between 9-10 km per liter.
    Der Always Remain a Margin of Doubt!!!

  10. #10
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,400
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    make sure the engine is in correct tune, valve timing and clearances too, also make sure the distributor is good, its centrifugal advance should be overhauled and make sure the vacuum advance is good, if you have swapped for an EFI type distro with twin port vacuum advance remove it and buy a NEW original vacuum pod, (it used to be Rs 1400/- 12 years ago).

    The carburettor vacuum pipes should be correct and idle speed with trans in D should be 850 rpm with or without A/C, the A/C solenoid setting should be only to compensate back to idle speed not increase it. - Make sure you actually have an Accord A18 carburettor, most have been changed to civic 1.2 and 1.5 ones which choke the engine as its throats are very small.

    Make sure the secondary throttle works when required.

    btw your fuel consumption can only be afforded to 100 kms/tank at best - no more than that, the car is heavy, its geared tall - no helping it out.

    if you adjust your engine correct - it should sound very rorty - most mechanics may tell you the main and big end bearings are bad, they are not, thats how the engine should sound - and the best power comes on near 2500-3500 rpm - thats where the long manifold breathes best..

    Make sure the engine gets to normal temperature otherwise the intake manifold may cool down to the point of condensing the petrol back to liquid droplets - its also bad for CNG too as cold CNG is heavier. Always use genuine paper air filters for this engine and make sure you have the cold intake pipe installed - its the rubber pipe that connects the air filter to the fender which causes the engine to suck cold outside air.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    xevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    35
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Gracious senor Xulfiqar..
    Der Always Remain a Margin of Doubt!!!

  12. #12
    PakWheeler Follow
    sulemanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    30
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    make sure the engine is in correct tune, valve timing and clearances too, also make sure the distributor is good, its centrifugal advance should be overhauled and make sure the vacuum advance is good, if you have swapped for an EFI type distro with twin port vacuum advance remove it and buy a NEW original vacuum pod, (it used to be Rs 1400/- 12 years ago).

    The carburettor vacuum pipes should be correct and idle speed with trans in D should be 850 rpm with or without A/C, the A/C solenoid setting should be only to compensate back to idle speed not increase it. - Make sure you actually have an Accord A18 carburettor, most have been changed to civic 1.2 and 1.5 ones which choke the engine as its throats are very small.

    Make sure the secondary throttle works when required.

    btw your fuel consumption can only be afforded to 100 kms/tank at best - no more than that, the car is heavy, its geared tall - no helping it out.

    if you adjust your engine correct - it should sound very rorty - most mechanics may tell you the main and big end bearings are bad, they are not, thats how the engine should sound - and the best power comes on near 2500-3500 rpm - thats where the long manifold breathes best..

    Make sure the engine gets to normal temperature otherwise the intake manifold may cool down to the point of condensing the petrol back to liquid droplets - its also bad for CNG too as cold CNG is heavier. Always use genuine paper air filters for this engine and make sure you have the cold intake pipe installed - its the rubber pipe that connects the air filter to the fender which causes the engine to suck cold outside air.
    zulfiqar bhai i am attaching carburetor picture, i dont know if it is a18a engine carburetor or honda 91 92 model one. but i got this picture from internet, mine is same.
    honda accord CNG high consumption  HELP -1171807

    also my carburetor does not have long pipe which goes to the fender, and for CNG they have blocked half of its open end with tape.

    also please tell me does it make any difference to fuel or cng average if i have damage silencer pipe, and sound is just like if i have installed exhaust or something.
    also from silencer end there is quite high air pressure coming out on idle. my RPM is set to 900 and on ac it goes to 700 or little less and on petrol it is 1200 or little more...if mechanic adjust it on petrol it gets very low on cng and when he adjust for cng it gets high on petrol.

  13. #13
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,400
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    that picture is of an A20A, the problem is that A16, A18 and A20 all look like that and have that exact same air filter box, the A16 would not have that large vacuum box though.

    Too bad you are missing that air snorkel - it really makes a difference as the air inside the engine room is incredibly hot and the position of this car's airbox opening makes it a perfect location for the hot radiator air.

    Please go and beat your CNG mechanic till he is bleeding, you do not need that blockage - get a correct venturi for your carburettor, remove the original small studs from the carburettor hat and install long grub screws - that can reach above the venturi - tighten with a couple of nuts, then install the air box and its screen and tighten with another couple of nuts. It will stay in place, wont leak air, wont make noise and wont destroy the carburettor.

    Get a correct venturi for this carburettor, I modded one with twin feed pipes that sat right above the carb throats - it really helped. The opening on top was bit offset but about 70% of the size of the carburettor. Ideally get an original Landi Renzo venturi. its pretty expensive but worth it.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    Parker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Suleman Bro,
    its very strange keh in city you are getting 60KM, I am recommending you a Mechanic one ov ma friend and very good in dealing with regular and Modification cars, His name is Hassan Khan, and workshop is near Model town Mor, call him and show him the car, his number is 03214024851.

    But including this kuch routine cheezain ap ko change karwana parain gi for maximum fuel mileage, jo normally recomended nahin ki jaatin by most of the mechanics, These include changing regular spark plug wires to High Performance silicone Mesh wires which you can get from Bilal Gunj in around 1000, change spark plugs to Iridium one, used plug will cost around PKR 250, these you can get from Hassan as well and very good in performance and check for EGR valve it must be in working condition or should replace it if not working and regular tuning is required with cleaning throttle body and checking for TP sensors and MAP sensors. and Ignition timing adjustment as well.

  15. #15
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,400
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parker1 View Post
    Suleman Bro,
    its very strange keh in city you are getting 60KM, I am recommending you a Mechanic one ov ma friend and very good in dealing with regular and Modification cars, His name is Hassan Khan, and workshop is near Model town Mor, call him and show him the car, his number is 03214024851.

    But including this kuch routine cheezain ap ko change karwana parain gi for maximum fuel mileage, jo normally recomended nahin ki jaatin by most of the mechanics, These include changing regular spark plug wires to High Performance silicone Mesh wires which you can get from Bilal Gunj in around 1000, change spark plugs to Iridium one, used plug will cost around PKR 250, these you can get from Hassan as well and very good in performance and check for EGR valve it must be in working condition or should replace it if not working and regular tuning is required with cleaning throttle body and checking for TP sensors and MAP sensors. and Ignition timing adjustment as well.
    how do you expect this car to have TPS, MAP, CTS, EGR etc. Its a plain 2 barrel keihin carburettor engine with a centrifugal advance distributor firing a high energy ignition coil. The correct way to get a tune out of this engine is the oldschool way of checking the timing curve of the centrifugal advance and exhaust analysis while running.

    The ignition wires of this engine are required to have about a min of 12,000 ohms resistance - otherwise they make noise, the genuine BKR6EY-11 spark plugs with 1.1 mm gap are perfect and provide the best service life without making you poor or miserable.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  16. #16
    PakWheeler Follow
    xevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    35
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @suleman, for these model of cars we should always visit senior citizen mechanics, jinho ne apne jawani mae in gariyo pe kaam kiya ho... coz new generation mechanics dont give a **** to these models, onho ne bus dihari lagani hoty hai and they just give run around coz they dont know anything about these cars. So find a BABA mechanic
    @Xulfiqar bhai... Correct me if i am wrong please.
    Der Always Remain a Margin of Doubt!!!

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,400
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    any mechanic/technician who knows which end of a screwdriver to use and knows the physics of an engine working can repair these correctly. Sadly the android/iphone generation mechanics lack those skill sets. Find someone who understands, the rest is easy as making chai.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  18. #18
    PakWheeler Follow
    sulemanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    30
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I will search out some educated mechanic who can understand things suggested by @Xulfiqar.
    I am residing in Defence and have some workshops on walton road, I will checkout some big workshops who have proper certified mechanics. Or else I will goto Honda pit shop on cavalry ground.

  19. #19
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,400
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    find a sensible mechanic and use the service manual for this car. Its dead nuts easy to work on. The pitstop or dealership mechanics wont have the faintest clue as all they know to do is to read the scanner and replace parts.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  20. #20
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    CarSaaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,648
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Zulfiqar,

    You are truly blessed brother. The knowledge you hold is commendable and highly sought after. Now even if we were to find a knowledgeable mechanic, there would still be a lack of honesty and integrity. I have been a victim of so many mechanics who wasted my time, energy and money and yet still not delivering up to the mark results....
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. "If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •