Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default honda accord 1988 engine swap

hello,

recently my accord 88 crank started to make noise, and it gets worse in one day, mechanic opened up engine and took crank to kharadia, but he said crank is finished. he cannot do anything with it now. so i decided to change the engine.

i went to engines market in pindi and i purchased HONDA D17A VTEC engine prosmatic transmission (2005 model). i already had auto transmission with my previous A18a1 engine.

i am expecting my car to be ready in two days. i want to ask the performance of this engine its 1.7 engine with VTEC, i havent seen anybody running accord with this engine so i want to ask weather it is a worthy swap or not? however i have already purchased the engine and installation is in progress.

there will be new mountings and foundation, same axles can be fit. so i am guessing it wouldn't be any problem in long run.

i will keep posting pictures.

expert opinion required.

Attached Images Attached Images     

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you need to hunt down the wiring diagram of your ECU, then trace the engine wiring harness - make a diagram too. then hunt for a DLC in the scrappie yard and read on this

https://www.scantool.net/support/ind...&kbarticleid=3

the DLC is universal also has some oddities, map it out.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

3. 28-08-2013, 03:10 AM

Site Banned

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i got your point. and i am sure no one here in Lahore would be good enough to work out this things and make a proper computerized wiring which can be connected to OBD scanners. so i wish i could find someone to do it for me here.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I agree with @Xulfiqar ; me being an embedded and software guy know the power of such tool. Well i am kind of learning most stuff from my accord. Did cluster repair (fuel gauge was not working) mechanics told wiring would have to be checked etc etc. I pulled out the gauge tested with DVM and contunity and stuff like that. Then traced the circuit back to cluster and there was a fault cured that. That idiot could not open my dashboard and i told him leave it i do not want to repair my gauge. I did it my self. I soldered few loose joints and shrink sleved them and its kind of getting into shape now. Well if i am doing a bit research on ECU and hooking an ODBII Connector there. After that may be I would do it my self. Electricians may have skills from experience but i have education so i would prefer doing it my self. Only one restriction is tracing the pinouts for my ECU Model. They are not huge number of pins. You just have to make sure the wiring is noise free that is connectors and joints are soldered not hand twist joints

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@afnan.bashir bro i would agree with you, you can fix stuff with you knowledge rather than those mechanics who have juggar bazi tactics and techniques to fix stuff.

bro if you're able to make your ODB sanner wires, do let me know too :-p maybe i would get appointment with you for my car ...

yes you're right, my car fuel guage is also not working as it was working before but i got my cluster needles glowing and after that my fuel guage is not working. and electrician rejects that it was working before as he did not do anything on that part...they dont know they fix one thing and they mess up two other things.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

making the DLC is easy, get a junked connector and wire it up.

for the gauge not working, why did you have the urge to have the needles glowing, the original setup already has light from the top of the gauges to illuminate the needles and the gauge front. Its very soft light and perfectly aimed too. The gauge scale is back illuminated with 3W bulbs, dont use 5W unless you like to see fire in the gauges, Im not kidding the gauge can melt and catch fire with the 5W bulbs.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Doing a little RND out of much of my time. Today I went for an Electrition to get my dim head lights checked up....... Man total frustration. Could not trace the bug even added one his own but that AC Blower wont work now.............. Didnt paid him single penny and went back home traced the wires and connections and bug was gone.

Today i got user manual in detail which tells all electrical wiring systems of my accord. By the way i would also get one for your accord. Take it as gift and explore your car. After reading this i am amazed in 92 they made beast with all features. My car has a control box that dims the clock and other lights if Parking lights are turned on........... amazing...... Has PWM Based Key, Cigeret, ash tray and glove box lights. Superb. Lovin it..............

In Regards to DLC i am working thins out. May be @Xulfiqar may help. What is the difference between ODB2a and ODB2b? i think its pin config only......

I found Pinouts of Similar harness as my ECU.............:FFS TechNet : OBD2a ECU Pin out Schematics :.. Only problem is color codes do not match existing wiring and some other pins such as 1,2,3,4 should have injectors wires but my ECU has only one wire out of these 4 so kind of crappy. Once i figure it out it would be piece of cake inegrating the DLC............ Making it work would be next ...........

@sulemanb in your cluster either a cable would be loose or a screw may not be as tight because the gauge motors are connectors with screws as electrodes which power then from PCB. So they get bad often when you open. As you know These guys do not care about screws coming out vs going in.............. probably he missed something.............. its nothing fancy in cluster..............

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@afnan.bashir bro why dont we meet up somewhere in DHA you can inspect my car too, i still have my cluster opened which you can take out and check if any screw is missed.

and yes you're right in such old accords honda made them beast with rich features which they offer in brand new models now. such as lights in dashboard, ashtray, doors, and yes my lights gets dim which parking lights turns on.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@sulemanbWill try to manage some time out when i visit DHA, I live in Johar Town. Also I plan to visit bilal ganj some saturday to have a look at ODB2 DLC. Can you do 2 things.
    1. Upload Opened pictures of your cluster (shows your fuel motor and the PCB)
    2. Upload the Number or Port side Picture of your ECU so that i can see if its ODB2a or ODB2b
    93 Accord CB7 (Sold) / 2005 CL7

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@sulemanb well after all these days of research. I came to conclusion that if your ECU is not connected to VSS your VTEC is not going to be turned on. Secondly I brought myself a ODB2 connector. Soon I would be wiring it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@sulemanb got DLC installed in my car. Got Cluster Check light working. Is your spedometer still working ? if not give it VSS Signal from Connector A pin 9 to your Spedometer.

However my transmission is old kickdown cable one. My computer does not see the car moving. Going to change that soon.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda Accord having D17 Vtect Engine and Transmission.

suleman!!!

I m living in isb and i have same accord and i have installed the same engine D17 with automatic transmission in 2012 march. It is very nice and comfortable. tell me where you took the engine and which mechanic installed it. I have also installed vti prosmetic gear liver assembly inside and changed the meter with digital one. May i can help you about all this.
    PaKiBaDSha

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@osamanazir brother i got it installed from Pindi Mithu pan wala something market, and the mechanic was famous in market with the name of Kocha.
    well overall my car works great, only DLC wiring is not installed. which inshAllah i will have it done soon.
    so which VTi gear you installed in it? kickdown cable or any other?
    @afnan.bashir , sir ji ziyadti hai, apne akailay akailay karwa lia hai kam. you didnt tell me. well right now i am not in country, coming back on 12th november, and i will contact your for more details.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by afnan.bashir View Post
    @sulemanb got DLC installed in my car. Got Cluster Check light working. Is your spedometer still working ? if not give it VSS Signal from Connector A pin 9 to your Spedometer.

However my transmission is old kickdown cable one. My computer does not see the car moving. Going to change that soon.
    The oldschool accords use a cable speedo - no VSS signal.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Xulfiqar, I have changed speedometer dial with some other which has vss. And its working fine now

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar well I guess I am in luck then my Spedometer is not cable spedometer Also i have seen some where that there is difference in VSS signal of OBD1 and OBD2. Just put a 680 Ohm resistance as pull up resistor and then give vss to cluster from pin A9.

@
    sulemanb i had beeen sssoooooo much busy and acquired by car that could not make it. Would pay you a visit when you come back

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by afnan.bashir View Post
    @Xulfiqar well I guess I am in luck then my Spedometer is not cable spedometer Also i have seen some where that there is difference in VSS signal of OBD1 and OBD2. Just put a 680 Ohm resistance as pull up resistor and then give vss to cluster from pin A9.

@
    sulemanb i had beeen sssoooooo much busy and acquired by car that could not make it. Would pay you a visit when you come back
    yours is the first year they went electric speedo

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So I suppose I can live with my existing one even after tranny swap

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have Accord With D17A Engine. Speedometer is Working But Speed is not 100% accurate. It Shows 15KM less Speed.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear All
    i am planning to swap my accord 87 or 88 engine ...can someone guide me good mechanic or place to get the engine and all work done in rwp /isb... also some denting painting and interior needs changing.. please suggest someone. I saw you guys got the work done. u can also email me at harunkhan1@gmail.com also..
    thanks in anticipation

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ker lo ker @afnan.bashir n @Xulfiqar ker lo ... meri garri petrol pie ja rahi hai kisi ko parwa nahi :p

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List