Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem with temp. gauge (Suzuki Alto)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Problem with temp. gauge (Suzuki Alto)

Salam PWers!
    My '06 Alto's temperature gauge is bouncing up and down randomly. It does not go above the mid-gauge mark and the radiator fan appears to be working fine. There is no specific pattern associated with this behavior but sometimes I have observed that it will go to the mid mark when i m cruising around 50km/h with the engine reving high and tends to go down to the lowest mark when i decrease the speed and down shift the gears. Do note that this pattern is not observed every time the above described scenario takes place. As in, there was this time interval when the temp. gauge stayed down permanently for a while.
    Could it be the faulty thermostat? or shorted temp. gauge wiring?
    I was getting my car tuned a while back, and when the mechanic was adjusting the petrol supply to the engine i observed that the temp. gauge was bouncing up and down. What can be the reason behind it?
    Suggestions on diagnosing the problem correctly and any remedies will be deeply appreciated.

Regards,
    Faizan Ahmed

Bumper Sticker: "I feed off other people's rage, so drive carefully :-)."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

does your car have a thermostat valve installed?
    usually cars with no thersmotat valve installed behave like that

if it is isntalled, i think u need the water temp sensor checked
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    does your car have a thermostat valve installed?
    usually cars with no thersmotat valve installed behave like that

if it is isntalled, i think u need the water temp sensor checked
    Yes, thermostat valve is installed.
    Removing it means making the fan direct instead of auto, right?
    My understanding dictates that the thermostat valve is installed at the mouth of the inlet of the water pipe from the radiator to the engine. Correct me if i m wrong.
    The water temperature sensor might indeed be the culprit and is it installed right beside the thermostat valve?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bump! need urgent help from experts!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the valve and fan switch are different items.. the valves job is to maintain coolant temperature within the engine and the fan switchs job is to make the fan operate at a certain temperature of the radiator.

your problem seems to be a bad wire - check the thermosensor resistance at normal temperature and then stick a similar ohm resistor in the wiring connector to check the guage
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    the valve and fan switch are different items.. the valves job is to maintain coolant temperature within the engine and the fan switchs job is to make the fan operate at a certain temperature of the radiator.

your problem seems to be a bad wire - check the thermosensor resistance at normal temperature and then stick a similar ohm resistor in the wiring connector to check the guage
    How exactly does the valve maintain the temperature? I m guessing by the usage of radiator, correct me if i m wrong here. So basically thermostat turns on the radiator fan when the coolant temperature exceeds a certain threshold?

About the thermo-sensor/coolant temp sensor, where exactly is it located?
    And do i need to check the operating resistance of the thermistor/thermo-sensor under normal operation and then disconnect it and place a similarly rated resistor n check if the temp. gauge malfunctions again?
    My understanding dictates tht if the thermo-sensor is at fault, then the resistance reading under normal conditions won't be stable, correct me if i m wrong.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

just screw up 3 screws on cluster which help the guage to attach with cluster mine alto speedometer shows jerking problem when mechanic open the cluster all srews were loose

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by devilz_apprentice View Post
    How exactly does the valve maintain the temperature? I m guessing by the usage of radiator, correct me if i m wrong here. So basically thermostat turns on the radiator fan when the coolant temperature exceeds a certain threshold?

About the thermo-sensor/coolant temp sensor, where exactly is it located?
    And do i need to check the operating resistance of the thermistor/thermo-sensor under normal operation and then disconnect it and place a similarly rated resistor n check if the temp. gauge malfunctions again?
    My understanding dictates tht if the thermo-sensor is at fault, then the resistance reading under normal conditions won't be stable, correct me if i m wrong.

The valve opens up when it reaches its predetermined temperature - usually 82 degrees celcius and closes at anything below it - the engine itself produces heat and the radiator takes it away - this thermostat regulates the engine coolant temperature by stopping flow of coolant into the radiator - instead it recirculates it in the engine itself (what we call bypass).

The radiator fan is controlled by the thermoswitch which is usually installed after the thermostat valve or on the farther radiator tank - and is tripped by the hot coolant - once the coolant cools off from the radiator the switch is retracted and the fan stops.

As I said both items are separate.

As your thinking that the gauge thermosensor is faulty and not having stable resistance is spot on - but Ive encountered similar problems with cars having a bad wire - usually corroded right at the thermister connector or the body wiring connector.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by devilz_apprentice View Post
    Salam PWers!
    My '06 Alto's temperature gauge is bouncing up and down randomly. It does not go above the mid-gauge mark and the radiator fan appears to be working fine. There is no specific pattern associated with this behavior but sometimes I have observed that it will go to the mid mark when i m cruising around 50km/h with the engine reving high and tends to go down to the lowest mark when i decrease the speed and down shift the gears. Do note that this pattern is not observed every time the above described scenario takes place. As in, there was this time interval when the temp. gauge stayed down permanently for a while.
    Could it be the faulty thermostat? or shorted temp. gauge wiring?
    I was getting my car tuned a while back, and when the mechanic was adjusting the petrol supply to the engine i observed that the temp. gauge was bouncing up and down. What can be the reason behind it?
    Suggestions on diagnosing the problem correctly and any remedies will be deeply appreciated.

Regards,
    Faizan Ahmed

so what solved your problem?

i washed my alto engine bay yesterday and the temp guage is bouncing now. what solved your problem?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I had same problem after I got my alto washed. Problem was some earth wire of meter/temperature gauge, got loose or disconnected during washing, my electrician tightened it and problem solved.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List