Survey by Qualaroo
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rear Drum Brakes to Disc Brakes Conversion (Honda City 2000)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Rear Drum Brakes to Disc Brakes Conversion (Honda City 2000)

Car under consideration: Honda City 2000
    Object of this thread: To have enough reliable input from experience of members to make a decision to go for conversion if possible, or simply abandom the idea
    Why this idea: Under consideration car already have reliable braking system and i dont have objections over it, if all goes well all this because of contributing some real good to machine
    Current status of searching: On internet last couple of days searching only took this far that idea is implementable and successfully done already from 60's cars to todays car's, but it didnt yield any video for such conversion, All i came up with words like " you need a conversion kit for it"
    Timeline: Approx. two months for brain storming

I beleive its pretty much to get rolling

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    in pakistan people do such alteration when they can find full rear assembly of similar car in junk yard with rear disks. and i dont think rear assembly with discs for this model is available in junk yard.

anyways messing up with brakes is risky.i drove a 160hp charade with drum brakes without problems. stupid conversion for a city(please dont mind)
    first of all nice to see you here, and for the first step i also want to establish that will a full rear assembly of doner car will serve the purpose or not, ofcourse without altering the machine and its usual implications. so a doner car needed to be figured out. i can check pindi's market for stuff, and if not here i can check swat market too, they too got lot of NCP stuff there.

sure dont wanna mess up, untill i am 100% sure wont let any spanner near my machine, and i didnt mind it at all, infact it is nice to hear from some senior like you

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Where exectly i have to look for the rubber bushes..pls explain in detail

thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by mahmood View Post
    brother first of all plz check how many rubber bushing u have in your car's rear end, mine got 12 in total, 6 on each side

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@poster. I would advise you not to go for it as the gains are not so significant. Even the new City does not have rear disk breaks.

<table class="specTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="280"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="2" class="SpecSubTtlM">Brake</td> <td class="SpecSubTtlMM leftLine">Front</td> <td class="leftLine">DISK</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="SpecSubTtlMM leftLine">Rear with ABS</td> <td class="leftLine">DRUM</td></tr></tbody></table>
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

uiv
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AFAIK the conversion would be almost useless and you may end up with a messed up braking system even worse than the stock one.

As you hit the brake the car tends to push all its weight at the front, so front brakes do all the hard work, rear ones only share some 10-20% brake force. Your stock drum brakes were designed to do this in the best possible way. Installing an aftermarket disc arrangement won't do better than the stock balanced system.
    If you want to get better brakes do get bigger booster, bigger discs and multi piston brake caliper installed in the front. Or you can simply put better tyres for better brakes. You may also install harder suspension for better brakes and handling.

Still, if all you need is 4 discs, you can get a bolt-on system from European Civic, the original one on which your City is based on. The top model of that Civic even came with B18 engine + LSD gear, 4 wheels disc + antilock + traction control. Everything from that car would just fit easily in your City.

Best of luck. Cheers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by immado View Post
    Where exectly i have to look for the rubber bushes..pls explain in detail

thanks....
    ok, here we go then, rear wheel has no drive shaft or other stuff to hold on to the wheel assembly, its only suspension, your main shock absorber rod holds the major part of your wheel assembly, in addition to it you will find some rods giving support to hub, on each each end of rod there are rubber bushing, by number of bushing one only want to have idea that either that suspension will go for fit or not

hopes i've explained it

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ok do check it, my office mechanic is also at sultan ka khu at this moment, for some stuff for office baleno, lets see what info he will come from there regarding this conversion.

hey, i thought you got a hyper valve too , what exactly is your vehicle man
    i HAD a hypervalve city exis back in 2001.was a lovely car,but sadly got accidented badly
    now i have a 2006 city idsi.which is good, brakes r also fine but not too good.
    When the power of love exceeds the love for power, the world will finally know peace=Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahmadbila View Post
    ahan... hathi chowk near saddar? i think its near lal kurti etc? may b i ll be there in a few days to get sum stuff for a friends alto, so i ll also search for the parts n will ask about the conversion.who knows, i might end up getting my own city's brakes changed to disc as idsi need them more then hyper valve
    No it's not near Laal Kurti...it's like between Saddar and Railway station. While you come from Kamran Market (Kashmir Rd) side towards gawalmandi or station it falls on the left.
    Rear Drum Brakes to Disc Brakes Conversion (Honda City 2000) - 49867
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Location of Ahaata Mithu Khan.
    Rear Drum Brakes to Disc Brakes Conversion (Honda City 2000) - 49871 Rear Drum Brakes to Disc Brakes Conversion (Honda City 2000) - 49872
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mehmood

The conclusion??did u find assembly or u postponed the project??
    Qaiser Pal,I have not failed.But found 1 of 10,000 ways which doesn't work.....Toyota driver "I couldn't repair my brakes,so i made my horn louder"..When i was born i was so surprised that i didn't talked to one and half year..since light travel faster then sound,people appear bright until you hear them speak..If u can't convince them,confuse them

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

my original plan was to get something from swat, unfortunately guys from swat only know corolla as a car, and that too as estate car, all NCPs. so as a first step fails here that i wont be getting something from swat. secondly above we were talking about malaysian city with 4W Disk brakes, that cant be confirmed, so this thing too goes out of shelf. third and biggest the amount of research required for it is simply not manageable for me with my 6 day office of 9-5 and classes in the evening, so i blame myself for it for now, but got this in my mind, got finances too for it, whenever came something concrete across will swap inshAllah.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hhmmmmm.... so the project is on hold right now... i cant think of any place where u can get the required stuff... why not ask honda dealership guys if they can fit the 04-05 civic rear brakes in ur car?? as ur mechanic already told u that its possible???
    When the power of love exceeds the love for power, the world will finally know peace=Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ahmed
    mera nahi khayal k dealership wale iss tarah ka koi kaam karin ***, next is summer semester and i dont plan to take any subjects might be doing this stuff then, but do also keep it your mind too and let me know if came across something

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

:update:
    i went to chah sultan yesterday with a friend of mine, its been confirmed that 1.5L city of malaysia did came with rear disk brake setup, price cannot be confirmed because hardware was not available, i am hopeful to get rates within this week, will update here too.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

OK..So now the question comes only adding the rotors at the back will do the job or u need to change the booster,lining and other hardware too.
    Qaiser Pal,I have not failed.But found 1 of 10,000 ways which doesn't work.....Toyota driver "I couldn't repair my brakes,so i made my horn louder"..When i was born i was so surprised that i didn't talked to one and half year..since light travel faster then sound,people appear bright until you hear them speak..If u can't convince them,confuse them

TM
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Poster! bhai braking parachute/drag chute lagwa loo wu iss conversion se zaida easy hoo ga

(this is just for fun... no hard feelings acha )
    "Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@sheikh sb...

ab buhat naughty ho gaye hein petromin dalwa kar..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imtishal View Post
    OK..So now the question comes only adding the rotors at the back will do the job or u need to change the booster,lining and other hardware too.
    pata nahi, yeh tu baat hi nahi ke mein ne khair i will prefer changing complete suspension, will also check these, but i dont think that have to change booster etc,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TM View Post
    @ Poster! bhai braking parachute/drag chute lagwa loo wu iss conversion se zaida easy hoo ga

(this is just for fun... no hard feelings acha )
    drag chute, not a bad idea, mein pata karta hoon, will you like one too, we might get special discount on purchasing couple of them, @imtishal what about you, are you intrested , what about air bakes like veyron??

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

pata nahi, yeh tu baat hi nahi ke mein ne khair i will prefer changing complete suspension, will also check these, but i dont think that have to change booster etc,
    Theoratically,drum brakes require more force to stop the wheels compared to rotors.Hence more brake pressure,meaning bigger diameter lines,which when used with rotors at the end might end up jamming the rear wheels to early.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

drag chute, not a bad idea, mein pata karta hoon, will you like one too, we might get special discount on purchasing couple of them, @imtishal what about you, are you intrested , what about air bakes like veyron??
    veron goes about 400km/h hence air brakes are justified.on the other hand city rarely goes about 150km/h so i think 'chatri' will be enough..

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List