Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 26.2 km/l after 180 Kilometers - Honda City official world record broken!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 26.2 km/l after 180 Kilometers - Honda City official world record broken!

Asalam o Aalaikum Wr Wb,

Ok so my aim was to get 30 Km/l but I did a few mistakes which I am sure I can fix in my next trip.

Here is a link to the last 'record' made by Honda Malaysia: Honda City i-DSI gets 26.2km per liter in fuel economy challenge

Anyway, so I was at 26.0 km/l when I was coming out of the Islamabad-interchange:

262 kml after 180 Kilometers - Honda City official world record broken! -1019031

262 kml after 180 Kilometers - Honda City official world record broken! -1019032

By the time I reached home (from Islamabad interchange to Gulzar-e-Quaid) the average increased by 0.2 kpl. The final kilometers per liter I got when I was standing in front of my house was 26.2 Km/l:

262 kml after 180 Kilometers - Honda City official world record broken! -1019033

262 kml after 180 Kilometers - Honda City official world record broken! -1019034

Total trip (from Peshawar to Islamabad) till my house cost me:

Code:
    183km/26.2 = 6.98 Liters
    6.98 liters x Rs. 68.02 = Rs. 475
    This was not high octane. It was normal fuel. Speed was around 80 Km/h. There was only me in the car (single person load) with absolutely no air conditioning. I started driving near Maghrib so AC wasn't needed.

For the record: If anyone who finds it difficult to believe, feel free to visit me. I am near Gulzar-e-Quaid and the car is still showing this reading.

Thanks!

For those who are going blab about electronic mileage calculators being not accurate:
    (why does my comment keep loosing text formatting?)

We're all only comparing "the average displayed in the trip calculator.."

And please, I am not claiming that I have 'officially broken the world record.' Please, take it easy! There's nothing to be worried about here. You can do this too!

Now, for the love of God, please read this carefully because your not-so-valuable-comments about electronic mileage calculators is not required in this thread:

The needle that shows how much fuel is remaining in the car 'does not' check the amount of fuel left in the tank all the time. It checks it only on refills. It only brings the needle down by seeing how much 'average' someone is making. Not by checking the fuel tank again and again. << = This is a very important line. Please read this aloud 5 times if you're missing it.

This means its much more accurate than our assumptions.

If you put CNG in Honda City and drive the car on CNG, the fuel needle still falls down normally (but goes back up after you've turned off the car and a there is a huge difference in the remaining fuel and the needle's position).

If people at Honda have considered this to be so much trust worthy, I don't see why we cannot do the same. They are showing the remaining fuel to the diver. That's a very critical thing to play with.

Another simple fact of the matter is, I am talking about "the average displayed in the car" (if its considered to be inaccurate, Honda is to be blamed, not the driver).

Say to the believing men.. www.muhammadbinyusrat.com/blog/

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BilalYusrat View Post
    26.2 km/l after 180 Kilometers - Honda City official world record broken! - 111089

26.2 km/l after 180 Kilometers - Honda City official world record broken! - 111090

26.2 km/l after 180 Kilometers - Honda City official world record broken! - 111091

26.2 km/l after 180 Kilometers - Honda City official world record broken! - 111091

26.2 km/l after 180 Kilometers - Honda City official world record broken! - 111092
    hahahahaha
    hahahahahaha
    hahahahaha
    hahahahaha

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The needle that shows how much fuel is remaining in the car 'does not' check the amount of fuel left in the tank all the time. It checks it only on refills. It only brings the needle down by seeing how much 'average' someone is making. Not by checking the fuel tank again and again. << = This is a very important line. Please read this aloud 5 times if you're missing it.
    source of this information?
    Alpha Romeo 156

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RedBull_ar View Post
    source of this information?
    Owner of Honda City.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Owner of Honda City.
    how does that clarify a technical claim?
    Alpha Romeo 156

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

how does that clarify a technical claim?

This means its much more accurate than our assumptions.

If you put CNG in Honda City and drive the car on CNG, the fuel needle still falls down normally (but goes back up after you've turned off the car and a there is a huge difference in the remaining fuel and the needle's position).

You should read the complete post. I generally do back my claims up with an explanation.

If you have half tank of fuel, and you put 200 rupees of petrol in it, its needle doesn't move and the 'range' does not increase.

The needle only goes up when there is a 'big' change in the amount of fuel available in the car compared to the amount of fuel in the record of the gauge.

There was one time when I added 500 rupees of fuel and then another 500 and the needle didn't move at all. I was going from Peshawar to Rawalpindi.

But then I added another 1000 rupees of fuel and the needle was close "E" and it went straight up closer to "F." For 2000 rupees my tank generally becomes almost full.

When you drive a car these things come to your notice inevitably. That's why I said I own this car so I know.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You should read the complete post. I generally do back my claims up with an explanation.

If you have half tank of fuel, and you put 200 rupees of petrol in it, its needle doesn't move and the 'range' does not increase.

The needle only goes up when there is a 'big' change in the amount of fuel available in the car compared to the amount of fuel in the record of the gauge.

There was one time when I added 500 rupees of fuel and then another 500 and the needle didn't move at all. I was going from Peshawar to Rawalpindi.

But then I added another 1000 rupees of fuel and the needle was close "E" and it went straight up closer to "F." For 2000 rupees my tank generally becomes almost full.

When you drive a car these things come to your notice inevitably. That's why I said I own this car so I know.
    wrong assumptions, the delay/averaged reading is deliberately added to the sender unit to avoid unnecessary and misleading instantaneous readings due to fuel movement in the tank ( rough road, inclines, declines )

generally due to shape of the fuel tank, the fuel floater doesn't read all the way down to the last part of the tank. hence u dont see any changes from 500rs of fuel when the needle is near E

p.s
    i do drive a car.
    Alpha Romeo 156

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

wrong assumptions, the delay/averaged reading is deliberately added to the sender unit to avoid unnecessary and misleading instantaneous readings due to fuel movement in the tank ( rough road, inclines, declines )

generally due to shape of the fuel tank, the fuel floater doesn't read all the way down to the last part of the tank. hence u dont see any changes from 500rs of fuel when the needle is near E

p.s
    i do drive a car.
    No body said anything about delay. Please 'read'. So that you learn. If you don't read, you will not learn. Don't prepare to "ANSWER" instead of understanding what someone is saying.

Who said anything about delay?

It updates the fuel instantaneously if the difference is big within seconds.

You should learn, and you should adapt. That's always the best policy.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No body said anything about delay. Please 'read'. So that you learn. If you don't read, you will not learn. Don't prepare to "ANSWER" instead of understanding what someone is saying.

Who said anything about delay?

You should learn, and you should adapt. That's always the best policy.
    delay is the proper term to describe what you are claiming (wrongly) to be as

he car 'does not' check the amount of fuel left in the tank all the time. It checks it only on refills.
    and i have already explained in my last reply how fuel reading works

perhaps you need to be less ignorant

Please 'read'. So that you learn. If you don't read, you will not learn. Don't prepare to "ANSWER" instead of understanding what someone is saying.
    Alpha Romeo 156

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

(There is no mention of time here. I said It just doesn't move. Ever.)

I added the first 500 in Peshawar, the second in Akora Khatak (55 Kilometers away from Pesahwar) and third time the 1000 Rupees of Petrol in Burhan. The last refill brought a change of display equivalent to 2000 rupees of fuel.

There is one input coming into the car from the Tank. And there is another value that is saved in the car's memory. If the value coming from Tank and the one saved in the car is 'different' by a big scale, then the older value is over written by the one coming from the tank.

But since the car is always moving and the reading coming from the tank cannot be trusted (because of the movements) the computer of the car drops the needle based on the mileage you're getting. The mileage is so accurate that its only fare to drop the needle based on that.

This is what happens when you're on CNG. On CNG, the petrol needle still drops, why? Because the fuel is decreasing in the tank? no? Because the computer is calculating based on the average a person is getting. But when the value in the memory drops way below and the input from the tank is higher, it adjusts it accordingly (if the difference is huge).

Thirdly, there is no delay in anything and I never said anything about delay:

If you tell them to fill the tank up to the top, it will update this *while the fuel is being added* (if it is switched on). You can see the needle going up while they are adding fuel.

No body said anything about delay?

That's why I said, you should learn, and you should adapt.

You didn't really read that line, because when you were reading it, you were preparing its answer instead of 'understanding' what was being said.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by deel_ee View Post
    lol. Some of the replies really made me laugh. Its interesting how a discussion regarding fuel economy leads to people literally exhibiting no patience for each other whatsoever, showing off what they have driven and WHERE they have driven it. I mean come on guys, give OP a break. I really dont see whats wrong with trying to achieve good fuel consumption by driving efficiently, within limits so on and so forth. I agree most of us do not have patience to go to the limits that OP has went but If by doing so, he can save money, it aint really bad.

Purchasing a comfortable family sedan like city is a one time expenditure. Spending lots of money on fuel is an on-going expenditure that can be a burden for most of us if not all. I went to peshawar once on a civic and due to my driving habits, ended up spending more than 1300 rs of fuel. So if i need to travel on this route so often and everytime i can save 500-600 rs, whats wrong with that?

@OP
    You dont really have to justify your logic and point of view to everyone in each of your replies. And your hypermiling thread WAS useful. Whether or not id be able to do it is another debate but it was an interesting thread nevertheless. People make countless pointless threads on CIVIC VS COROLLA, i dont see why one would call your thread pointless.

Welll said

@bilal

Although ur claim seems little unbelievable but merely attempting to get some good mileage is really commendable. All the time we see posts regarding silly upgrades, modifications and 0 100 timing of cars endangering their own lifes and others too... ... so your thread was good change however you should have stuck to ur old thread and now stop explaining yourself ...Just do the same thing but calculate mileage in manual way by filling the tank and calculating manually rather than explaining things again and again here ......however putting the car in neutral while driving is really not a very good idea as some one explained earlier
    And i really cannot understand why people are trying to prove that if u want to save money one should start walking or buy mehran similarly some Pakwheelers find it very offensive if someone buys parado with his own money and converts it to CNG they immediately start advising him that he should have bought cd 70 or something to that effect as if they lended him the money to buy parado .......totally childish approach. May be money grows on trees in their houses .There is no harm in saving money even if you are millionaire

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sars View Post
    Welll said

@bilal

Although ur claim seems little unbelievable but merely attempting to get some good mileage is really commendable. All the time we see posts regarding silly upgrades, modifications and 0 100 timing of cars endangering their own lifes and others too... ... so your thread was good change however you should have stuck to ur old thread and now stop explaining yourself ...Just do the same thing but calculate mileage in manual way by filling the tank and calculating manually rather than explaining things again and again here ......however putting the car in neutral while driving is really not a very good idea as some one explained earlier
    And i really cannot understand why people are trying to prove that if u want to save money one should start walking or buy mehran similarly some Pakwheelers find it very offensive if someone buys parado with his own money and converts it to CNG they immediately start advising him that he should have bought cd 70 or something to that effect as if they lended him the money to buy parado .......totally childish approach. May be money grows on trees in their houses .There is no harm in saving money even if you are millionaire
    Yes sir, that's exactly the point. And I actually look at hypermiling as 'fun' instead of thinking "oh man why can't I drive faster?"

I really try and enjoy the ride as much as I can. Mostly I am alone in these long trips.. well not mostly.. but in almost 50% of the trips. Instead of driving at a crazy fast speed ONLY because my car "can" do it, seems very pointless to me.

If I can travel the same journey to my house by burning less fuel and enjoying the journey, why not go for it?

Buying a Prado or Mark-X is someone's own choice, but thinking that putting CNG will not look good seems to be very narrow and cheap thinking to me.

Take a look at this:

Does any one seem to look 'degraded' about converting a hummer to CNG? OF COURSE NOT!!?

Its natural gas.. its fuel.. it costs less! We should be thankful to Allah that He has given us a country where there are more CNG stations than gasoline stations. Alhamdulillah.

Same goes for hypermiling. I just cannot understand how some people consider 'saving' money to be a 'status symbol' (implying that wasting money means a better status).

Its so hopeless.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@bilal
    (disclaimer: i have read the ENTIRE 4 pages and am not jumping to any conclusions)

first of all REGARDLESS of what mileage you have achieved, congrats on achieving what you set out to do...and that was to drive more economically. even IF (and that is a BIG if) your average mileage meter is faulty, then the amount of fuel you put in the car is far less than what other so called "normal" drivers are consuming (on trips between RWP and PSH). so hats off to you.
    i think if someone can be applauded for doing silly doughnuts on a PUBLIC road and posing a REAL threat to pedestrians, other motorist and more so himself..then i think your efforts too can be appreciated to say the least.
    secondly i congratulate you on being intelligent enough to realize that saving fuel DOES not in anyway determine that you not enjoying your experience in the car.
    thirdly for realizing that fuel is a NEVER ENDING expense and not a one time expense like purchasing a car, so saving on fuel does not make you an idiot, a kanjoos or make you only illegible for owning a mehran, donkey cart or a CD70.
    those who cant do, become ignorant and make fun as a defense mechanism. always remember that.
    i hope all this praise makes up for all the undue (and also some due) criticism !

now to the real part of my post...hyper-milling !
    i have owned 5 cars (mine and my parents) that i have driven extensively.
    they have been on either diesel, petrol or mixture of petrol/CNG (yes i also use cng.. sorry).
    i am not an EXTREME hyper-miller but my style of driving does give me better fuel economy. i still driver quicker than most of my friends who drive like maniacs on the road with bigger engined cars YET i save on fuel. im sorry but i just DONT see the harm.

i havnt read your specific thread on hyper-milling but ive been doing it since 99 (it was my first car and surprisingly i was driving a 98 MEHRAN...hahaha..i know). i was only 14 and i didnt have enough money to fill fuel every second day...but i still wanted to go EVERYWHERE. so my only solution was to change my newly learned driving habits.
    i got easily hooked to the benefits of coasting to a signal instead of RACING to it (i race go karts NOT street cars).
    shutting off the engine when idling for more than 45 secs (signals that i KNEW were red for a long time).
    using AC only when needed.
    driving at a constant speed and then driving behind another car so the car in front creates a hole in the air for your car, reducing drag and thus increasing fuel economy.
    breaking as LITTLE as possible as slowly as possible. NO need to slam hard on te brakes then accelerate like a maniac when u can slow a little early on and accelerate little to gradually get back to speed (like u said LOOK AHEAD)
    keep the engine rpms below 2000 rpm or 2500rpm if the engine is small or has low torque.
    all these tiny changes in driving style helped quite a bit.
    i became SO obsessed that i used to accelerate quickly (mehran) in the first 3 gears to move to 4th gear ASAP and then coast in neutral when i hit my desired speed or around 70km/h in karachi (almost all of it was city driving...as i was not allowed to drive outside defence when i was a teenager)

oh..btw to all the critics, YES engine braking helps a GREAT DEAL...no denying that. but please keep in mind a hyper-miller is already coasting in neutral at a leisurely speed of 70 or 80 and would gradually be losing speed due to the cars drag and rolling resistance. so very light braking is needed. of course when situations demand it (we are not idiots) like on a hill, etc...engine braking should be used.

then came the santro in 2000. this car had a knocking problem so i was advised by Hyundai dealership to run it on 25% hi-octane and 75% super.
    the same economical driving techniques helped me save on fuel costs as well b/c i was spending Rs4/km with 50% AC and 100% city driving while other people i knew, driving santros at the time ALSO running on same hi-octane were spending Rs4.5 - Rs5/km.
    even the dealership people were impressed with the millage (dont rem the km/ltr as its been almost 10years but i still rem the fuel cost as its price was relatively stable and people i knew calculated in Rs/km)

then came the KIA spectra in 2002 with factory CNG of BRC brand. its still with us today having done 80000km yesterday. it is my parents car but I've personally driven at least 35000 - 40000km in it.
    only my mom and i drive that car and she has NO idea what hyper-milling is so the differences in driving styles were even MORE OBVIOUS than before. she would barely do 60 - 70km in 7.5kgs of gas. while i was touching 85km to 90km with same driving conditions (4ppl, AC and city driving)

then came the CHERY QQ in late 2005. this was my first car that i bought myself and of course i had to pay for the fuel and my traveling was about to increase ALOT as i would use this car for going to University each day for 3 yrs which was a 70km round trip. so i put it on CNG as it was costing me half the amount to fuel my car for the same distance.

im friends with the Managing Director at Chery Motors, and to THIS day...NO other CNG Cherry QQ driver has claimed to have gotten about 21-22km per KG of CNG on a regular basis (with AC and 40% highway driving). as the price of CNG increased my Rs/KM value changed so i mentioned the Km/KG value. all this was calculated by myself over many many runs. i still own this car after 75000km of driving and i still calculate multiple runs every month even today just to see if the car is getting worse or still running like it used to.

lastly, i bought a Civic Oriel manual in Sep 2009. i haven't converted it to CNG as i knew its running would be less than 500km/month plus i became more knowledgable about the drawback of CNG installation (not its use...JUST ITS INSTALLATION) and hw installing CNG without SIS would basically turn my car into a sort of carburetor car.
    so far its done 3500km in about 10.5months and i have driven 95% of those KMs. i of course didn't change my style of driving even though i went from a mehran to a civic (a so called "luxury" car by many Pakwheelers).
    after the initial "break in" period i started filling the car to max, driving it till the tank is almost empty, noting my mileage and the amount of fuel needed for a full fill up.
    this car is driven 100% with AC (i clean the car and its original seats with expensive products so i dont want dust in the car) and its driven inside defence and clifton ONLY, which means almost 100% city driving (only thrice i took it to far away areas of Karachi tht might let me use signal free roads).
    i have done 3 runs of over 500kms each with similar driving condition (4ppl, 100%AC and 100% city driving) and have so far achieved these figures 10.19km/ltr, 10.32km/ltr and 10.26km/ltr.
    my 4th run was spoiled when people at honda dealership stole petrol from my car and i had to restart my calculations.
    on my NEW 4th run, i have so far achieved 232km on 45% of the fuel (the new civic comes with a digital fuel gauge comprising 20 lights to indicate level...i have so far used 9 lights).
    so by simple maths this means i can achieve 10.36km/ltr. i know this last calculation is very rough but i will get it filled up to the max once ive done more than 500kms and then calculate again more accurately.
    of coursemy 1st 3 runs were calculate EXACTLY how many Pakwheelers in this thread suggested:
    fill from the same pump,
    drive till tank is almost empty
    and fill again.
    my formula was (like Vcheng suggested): driven distance/fuel filled = mileage

when i first mentioned my cars mileage ppl were finding it very hard to believe me.
    INFACT quite a few Civic owners were very happy and VERY PROUD (i might add) to be achieving only 7 - 7.5kms in the city.
    WHO in the world would be proud of consuming more than what is needed?? that is just beyond me..!!
    i mean i didnt drive at 40km/h..i didnt roll down the windows and i never traveled alone since this car is taken out when the entire family is going out. i still accelerated out of corners in the correct gear at a high enough rpm that there was enough torque to not bog me down.
    in fact when i drive i usually accelerate normally till 70 - 80km/h then coast till the next stop. i dont accelerate like a granny or take corners like one either. i usually corner at 30%higher cornering speeds since i prefer to corner through a better line instead of maintaining an incorrect corner entry line...braking hard to decelerate and then accelerate through the wrong corner exit line.

all in all. saving fuel while enjoying driving your car is in NO WAY demeaning and i really dont understand why its frowned upon by all the "intellectually gifted" people here on Pakwheels.

bilal has started an excellent thread...he should be praised for taking the initiative.
    hell...even i didnt take the initiative even though i've been doing it for over a decade.

extremism of ANY form is unhealthy but do it in moderation and you'll be fine (enjoying the drive while saving on fuel).

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by faroooch View Post
    @bilal
    (disclaimer: i have read the ENTIRE 4 pages and am not jumping to any conclusions)

first of all REGARDLESS of what mileage you have achieved, congrats on achieving what you set out to do...and that was to drive more economically. even IF (and that is a BIG if) your average mileage meter is faulty, then the amount of fuel you put in the car is far less than what other so called "normal" drivers are consuming (on trips between RWP and PSH). so hats off to you.
    i think if someone can be applauded for doing silly doughnuts on a PUBLIC road and posing a REAL threat to pedestrians, other motorist and more so himself..then i think your efforts too can be appreciated to say the least.
    secondly i congratulate you on being intelligent enough to realize that saving fuel DOES not in anyway determine that you not enjoying your experience in the car.
    thirdly for realizing that fuel is a NEVER ENDING expense and not a one time expense like purchasing a car, so saving on fuel does not make you an idiot, a kanjoos or make you only illegible for owning a mehran, donkey cart or a CD70.
    those who cant do, become ignorant and make fun as a defense mechanism. always remember that.
    i hope all this praise makes up for all the undue (and also some due) criticism !

now to the real part of my post...hyper-milling !
    i have owned 5 cars (mine and my parents) that i have driven extensively.
    they have been on either diesel, petrol or mixture of petrol/CNG (yes i also use cng.. sorry).
    i am not an EXTREME hyper-miller but my style of driving does give me better fuel economy. i still driver quicker than most of my friends who drive like maniacs on the road with bigger engined cars YET i save on fuel. im sorry but i just DONT see the harm.

i havnt read your specific thread on hyper-milling but ive been doing it since 99 (it was my first car and surprisingly i was driving a 98 MEHRAN...hahaha..i know). i was only 14 and i didnt have enough money to fill fuel every second day...but i still wanted to go EVERYWHERE. so my only solution was to change my newly learned driving habits.
    i got easily hooked to the benefits of coasting to a signal instead of RACING to it (i race go karts NOT street cars).
    shutting off the engine when idling for more than 45 secs (signals that i KNEW were red for a long time).
    using AC only when needed.
    driving at a constant speed and then driving behind another car so the car in front creates a hole in the air for your car, reducing drag and thus increasing fuel economy.
    breaking as LITTLE as possible as slowly as possible. NO need to slam hard on te brakes then accelerate like a maniac when u can slow a little early on and accelerate little to gradually get back to speed (like u said LOOK AHEAD)
    keep the engine rpms below 2000 rpm or 2500rpm if the engine is small or has low torque.
    all these tiny changes in driving style helped quite a bit.
    i became SO obsessed that i used to accelerate quickly (mehran) in the first 3 gears to move to 4th gear ASAP and then coast in neutral when i hit my desired speed or around 70km/h in karachi (almost all of it was city driving...as i was not allowed to drive outside defence when i was a teenager)

oh..btw to all the critics, YES engine braking helps a GREAT DEAL...no denying that. but please keep in mind a hyper-miller is already coasting in neutral at a leisurely speed of 70 or 80 and would gradually be losing speed due to the cars drag and rolling resistance. so very light braking is needed. of course when situations demand it (we are not idiots) like on a hill, etc...engine braking should be used.

then came the santro in 2000. this car had a knocking problem so i was advised by Hyundai dealership to run it on 25% hi-octane and 75% super.
    the same economical driving techniques helped me save on fuel costs as well b/c i was spending Rs4/km with 50% AC and 100% city driving while other people i knew, driving santros at the time ALSO running on same hi-octane were spending Rs4.5 - Rs5/km.
    even the dealership people were impressed with the millage (dont rem the km/ltr as its been almost 10years but i still rem the fuel cost as its price was relatively stable and people i knew calculated in Rs/km)

then came the KIA spectra in 2002 with factory CNG of BRC brand. its still with us today having done 80000km yesterday. it is my parents car but I've personally driven at least 35000 - 40000km in it.
    only my mom and i drive that car and she has NO idea what hyper-milling is so the differences in driving styles were even MORE OBVIOUS than before. she would barely do 60 - 70km in 7.5kgs of gas. while i was touching 85km to 90km with same driving conditions (4ppl, AC and city driving)

then came the CHERY QQ in late 2005. this was my first car that i bought myself and of course i had to pay for the fuel and my traveling was about to increase ALOT as i would use this car for going to University each day for 3 yrs which was a 70km round trip. so i put it on CNG as it was costing me half the amount to fuel my car for the same distance.

im friends with the Managing Director at Chery Motors, and to THIS day...NO other CNG Cherry QQ driver has claimed to have gotten about 21-22km per KG of CNG on a regular basis (with AC and 40% highway driving). as the price of CNG increased my Rs/KM value changed so i mentioned the Km/KG value. all this was calculated by myself over many many runs. i still own this car after 75000km of driving and i still calculate multiple runs every month even today just to see if the car is getting worse or still running like it used to.

lastly, i bought a Civic Oriel manual in Sep 2009. i haven't converted it to CNG as i knew its running would be less than 500km/month plus i became more knowledgable about the drawback of CNG installation (not its use...JUST ITS INSTALLATION) and hw installing CNG without SIS would basically turn my car into a sort of carburetor car.
    so far its done 3500km in about 10.5months and i have driven 95% of those KMs. i of course didn't change my style of driving even though i went from a mehran to a civic (a so called "luxury" car by many Pakwheelers).
    after the initial "break in" period i started filling the car to max, driving it till the tank is almost empty, noting my mileage and the amount of fuel needed for a full fill up.
    this car is driven 100% with AC (i clean the car and its original seats with expensive products so i dont want dust in the car) and its driven inside defence and clifton ONLY, which means almost 100% city driving (only thrice i took it to far away areas of Karachi tht might let me use signal free roads).
    i have done 3 runs of over 500kms each with similar driving condition (4ppl, 100%AC and 100% city driving) and have so far achieved these figures 10.19km/ltr, 10.32km/ltr and 10.26km/ltr.
    my 4th run was spoiled when people at honda dealership stole petrol from my car and i had to restart my calculations.
    on my NEW 4th run, i have so far achieved 232km on 45% of the fuel (the new civic comes with a digital fuel gauge comprising 20 lights to indicate level...i have so far used 9 lights).
    so by simple maths this means i can achieve 10.36km/ltr. i know this last calculation is very rough but i will get it filled up to the max once ive done more than 500kms and then calculate again more accurately.
    of coursemy 1st 3 runs were calculate EXACTLY how many Pakwheelers in this thread suggested:
    fill from the same pump,
    drive till tank is almost empty
    and fill again.
    my formula was (like Vcheng suggested): driven distance/fuel filled = mileage

when i first mentioned my cars mileage ppl were finding it very hard to believe me.
    INFACT quite a few Civic owners were very happy and VERY PROUD (i might add) to be achieving only 7 - 7.5kms in the city.
    WHO in the world would be proud of consuming more than what is needed?? that is just beyond me..!!
    i mean i didnt drive at 40km/h..i didnt roll down the windows and i never traveled alone since this car is taken out when the entire family is going out. i still accelerated out of corners in the correct gear at a high enough rpm that there was enough torque to not bog me down.
    in fact when i drive i usually accelerate normally till 70 - 80km/h then coast till the next stop. i dont accelerate like a granny or take corners like one either. i usually corner at 30%higher cornering speeds since i prefer to corner through a better line instead of maintaining an incorrect corner entry line...braking hard to decelerate and then accelerate through the wrong corner exit line.

all in all. saving fuel while enjoying driving your car is in NO WAY demeaning and i really dont understand why its frowned upon by all the "intellectually gifted" people here on Pakwheels.

bilal has started an excellent thread...he should be praised for taking the initiative.
    hell...even i didnt take the initiative even though i've been doing it for over a decade.

extremism of ANY form is unhealthy but do it in moderation and you'll be fine (enjoying the drive while saving on fuel).
    pheeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@misteek
    feels like u climbed mount Everest !!!
    it took me a long time to write..so you'd better make the effort to read it
    it just felt wrong that everyone was attacking him instead of congratulating him.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@bilal

TBH, the argument was never "Why he has achieved (one or two exceptions) but the way 'Claim' of world record has been made. We all know these in-car trip meters are perhaps tweaked up a bit (IMHO) to give 'us' a sense of achievement. (I found them about 1/2 to 3/4 km per litre off). Well if you see there are more posts in his appreciation then others.

The right way is, the way Vcheng or you have been doing (Fill to Fill). I do it with every tank as well and doing it since donkeys years. I actually endeavour to fill my tank from same pump and even same dispenser.

On the friendly note, try not to bring your tank down to 'near empty', fill it back say at quarter tank, this will make your fuel pump live longer.

Cheers,
    Kaleem

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@misteek
    feels like u climbed mount Everest !!!
    it took me a long time to write..so you'd better make the effort to read it
    it just felt wrong that everyone was attacking him instead of congratulating him.
    lolz, just kidding man
    beleive me, i went through your complete post and it took atleast 15 mins to read till end,
    and the "pheeewww" was for thanking God that you are also not critisizing him like what was going on in this thread

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes.
    poor guy..people wemt after him like a mob setting fire to tyres during a strike

19. 26-07-2010, 10:00 PM

Senior PakWheeler

Reason
    inappropriate post - self censureship

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@vcheng
    thanks for the "insight" into the insight !

i have that issue of car and driver in my collection.
    pretty cool how reduction in drag and wind resistance can improve fuel economy.

21. 27-07-2010, 05:18 AM

Senior PakWheeler

Reason

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@vcheng
    this is a wild guess but 50-55mph? (80 - 88kph)

rather intrigued to find out the answer now. thanks for sharing...you seem to have a massive vault of quirky pictures and facts about the strangest of topics.. and u whip out these pictures and surprise us all. thanks for sharing once again

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Kudos to Bilal for creating awarenes of this new trend that is growing in US and UK since the last 3 years. While not being patient enough to keep a light foot on the pedal at all times, I manage to shift at around 2500 rpm and keep brake use to a minimum possible while keeping an eye out for likely obstructions ahead. Although I have never calculated the fuel average using the km driven divided by fuel consumed formula after fill ups, I'm still satisfied that I get a reasonable average from my City iDsi 2006. I always feel surprised when i see drivers in front of me hitting the brakes incessantly even though there is no obvious obstruction in front of them, since not only are they wasting fuel by just accelerating and breaking but also creating doubt in the minds of drivers behind them. Good and safe driving habits should be encouraged, and if you can save money while doing it, then why not. As for the debate about fuel average accuracy of built-in meters, as I haven't used any I can't comment on them.
    The rule book is for guidance of the wise and obedience of fools.

24. 27-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Senior PakWheeler

Reason

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

User Tag List