Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Honda City 2011 Acceleration Problem! Help!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Red face Honda City 2011 Acceleration Problem! Help!!

Hello Everyone

I just bought a brand new honda city 2011 MT a couple of weeks back. I am facing some issues with the acceleration of the car. Usually in the second and third gear there is a delay in the car picking up acceleration... for example as soon as i switch to second gear i press the accelerator a little further but there is no visible or felt change for around 4-5 seconds and then suddenly the car starts to pick up acceleration without me pushing the accelerator any further...!!! I dont know why is this reaction time so slow... the problem is more prominent when i have the AC on!!
    i hope that its not something major...

Plus.. i generally drive the car slowly below 80 km since i havent reached 1000 km... but maybe 4-5 times i did put a lot of force on the 2nd gear and made it go up to 50 in second gear! Is this a cause of the above problem.. many people say to drive safely at a slow speed not exceeding 80 while some say that it is not a requirement..

Your help is much appreciated!

"The worldly comforts are not for me. I am like a traveller, who takes a rest under a tree in the shade and then goes on his way." (Tirmidhi)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think it is not a problem...but a general behaviour of this city. There is a little lag when u press the paddle when the car is in the low rpm range in the 2nd and most noticeably in the 3rd gear...also the rapid acceleration that u r reporting is the vtec kicking in...

just my two cents...i am no professional

Profile Deleted Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i have the same problem with my city 2011, i took it to honda dealership and they said it will improve after 5000km..well it didnt
    only highoctane helped, you could try and mixing super and highoctane..it improved the pick
    if there is mechanical fault then maybe some expert will be in a better position to point out.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

havent you heard about the "vtec kicked in yo"
    that jerk is actually vtec kicking in....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by misteek View Post
    havent you heard about the "vtec kicked in yo"
    that jerk is actually vtec kicking in....
    I just feel that the delay is too much...it feels as if the car is running on CNG and suddenly takes acceleration when you switch on petrol... but if this delay time is normal for city 2011 with others, then i guess i shouldnt complain!
    "The worldly comforts are not for me. I am like a traveller, who takes a rest under a tree in the shade and then goes on his way." (Tirmidhi)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this city's engine isnt designed to natively run on lower octane petrol. Since the car is new, its ecu is still learning the engine behaviour and response on this lower octane fuel.
    The more it runs, more it'll learn and better it will become. And no its not vtec kicking in...

Btw, petrol of shell and pso is better, stay away from attock and total pumps, they use locally produced fuel, it sucks.
    Selling Vitz+local cars - compatible bluetooth Ecu Scantool, High-amp car chargers, Apple-certified Lightning Cables, etc. Click on my name and see my started threads for details.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its normal i have 09 city and its above 30k driven on high octane from day one and in 2nd gear it does behave the way u said but it all depends upon the gear shifting and if the car is in momentum u wont feel the lag and 2ndly its a dbw this time so delay will be there as there is no wire in accelerator till the engine but you have to learn how to squeeze out the power when you need it and cope with the delay.
    Your grandchildren will likely find it incredible - or even sinful - that you burned up a gallon of gasoline to fetch a pack of cigarettes!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have the same problem with my ~600km driven city 2011 plus it aint giving me mileage north of 7-7.5 kmpl. I am not even hard on the accelerator and I am kinda confused u see.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

mine with full time ac 14.7 harsh driving rpm near to 4 n 5 k all the time
    Your grandchildren will likely find it incredible - or even sinful - that you burned up a gallon of gasoline to fetch a pack of cigarettes!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by toyotaf1 View Post
    I have the same problem with my ~600km driven city 2011 plus it aint giving me mileage north of 7-7.5 kmpl. I am not even hard on the accelerator and I am kinda confused u see.
    That is quite low... mine is giving around 12-13 km minimum per litre.. and that too as my default race is set at 1000 rpm.. which means that it consumes petrol like anything even if idle...i enquired about it and the honda people said that at 1000 km check up it will be reduced... it is deliberately kept high for some reason..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Legal_rebel View Post
    mine with full time ac 14.7 harsh driving rpm near to 4 n 5 k all the time
    This is quite high! I get around 13 and sometimes it goes to 14 but usually around 12.9!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahsanonline View Post
    this city's engine isnt designed to natively run on lower octane petrol. Since the car is new, its ecu is still learning the engine behaviour and response on this lower octane fuel.
    The more it runs, more it'll learn and better it will become. And no its not vtec kicking in...

Btw, petrol of shell and pso is better, stay away from attock and total pumps, they use locally produced fuel, it sucks.
    i have to stick to PSO since i have a company provided loyaly card for PSO... i dont know if PSO offers high octane in islamabad

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its normal i have 09 city and its above 30k driven on high octane from day one and in 2nd gear it does behave the way u said but it all depends upon the gear shifting and if the car is in momentum u wont feel the lag and 2ndly its a dbw this time so delay will be there as there is no wire in accelerator till the engine but you have to learn how to squeeze out the power when you need it and cope with the delay.
    I agree because sometimes you dont feel the delay if running smoothly at high speed... if you are driving at a high rpm at second gear, the switch to third and the delay in third gear pickup isnt that obvious!

F1
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nothing to worry about ... its normal for this city .. My cuz bought new city in january 2011 and i often drive it .. i experience the same thing .. it takes fraction of a sec then it accelarates .. !!
    Godzilla under the Hood !!

Profile Deleted Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i have to stick to PSO since i have a company provided loyaly card for PSO... i dont know if PSO offers high octane in islamabad
    you have to find a pso that does sell it as not all the gas stations do..it will improve the pick, i have tried it and it works try mixing 10 litres of high octane and the rest with super.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its a dbw this time so delay will be there as there is no wire in accelerator till the engine but you have to learn how to squeeze out the power when you need it and cope with the delay.
    My vote goes for this reason..... slight delay is observed due to DBW (drive-by wire) system.
    How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot... The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind... Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Drive By Wire Disadvantages

Quote Originally Posted by warewolf1 View Post
    My vote goes for this reason..... slight delay is observed due to DBW (drive-by wire) system.
    i think this is the reason ... i have taken the following extract from Wiki

The cost of DbW systems is often greater than conventional systems. The extra costs stem from greater complexity, development costs and the redundant elements needed to make the system safe. Failures in the control system could theoretically cause a runaway vehicle, although this is no different from the throttle return spring snapping on a traditional mechanical throttle vehicle. The vehicle could still be stopped by turning the ignition off if this occurred. Another disadvantage is that manufacturers often reduce throttle sensitivity in the low-mid throttle range to make the car easier or safer to control - or to protect the drivetrain (gearbox, clutch, etc.) from driver abuse. The feeling to the driver is that the throttle feels less responsive. There are aftermarket electronic kits to increase throttle sensitivity, to re-gain a more direct-feeling relationship between pedal position and throttle valve opening.
    Source: Drive by wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ITs city's normal behaviour on ordinary fuel.
    And LMAO being city demands HI Octance.Civic ka to suna tha ab city ki bhi farmayish both mehngi ha
    Aunda Fan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    i think this is the reason ... i have taken the following extract from Wiki

Source: Drive by wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Corolla also has drive by wire and also has underpowered engine.And i dont agree because on corolla there is no knocking or this type of lag issue.
    Aunda Fan

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I just feel that the delay is too much...it feels as if the car is running on CNG and suddenly takes acceleration when you switch on petrol... but if this delay time is normal for city 2011 with others, then i guess i shouldnt complain!

Dude I would liek to correct you here

This lagging is almost ignorable on CNG as I am running my CITY 2010 on cng for like more then 8 months now. Current reading on the ODO is 37000km and I installed CNG at 8000km.

ON CNG you wont even feel any knocking which you does feel on petrol and as far as pick is concerned, on CNG the pick is same as petrol. I do feel this lag on petrol but on CNG, I dont feel any.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List