Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By driver_guy
  • 1 Post By Xulfiqar

Thread: Valve clearance issue

  1. #1
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    a_n_memon88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Exclamation Valve clearance issue

    AOA

    The car under question is honda city idsi 2005. The car runs fine and has smooth idle half self start, but a noisy valvetrain. While searching the net for cure of valvetrain noise I came onto a page and it said that too much clearance can give rise to valvetrain noise. I remember from my last tuneup of vehicle and even before that, that the mechanics, last time it was some desi while before that it was a honda one, set the valve clearance as follows, the engine was cold

    Intake 0.008 inches
    Exhaust 0.010 inches

    I have a soft copy of japenese honda fit service manual and in it I read that for L12A i.e our 1248 cc and even upto L15A idsi have valve clearance as follow, note that engine has to be cold

    Intake 0.006-0.007 inches
    Exhaust 0.010-0.012 inches

    Well now the question is self explanatory i.e the intake valve clearance is 0.001 inches more than the standard maximum and exhaust clearance is at minimum of standard which to me does not seem symetrical. The things come to mind is that they should either be 0.006 and 0.010 for intake and exhaust or 0.007 and 0.012 for intake and exhaust respectively. Now my question is thatIf I disturb my cars valve clearance and go back to standard can I have a quieter valvetrain and what other effects it will have on my cars performance i.e efficiency, power, idling etc


  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    a_n_memon88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    No experts here

    BUMP

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    spectra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    40
    Posts
    19,667
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Difference in values is minor. i don't think it will quiet down the valve train. Issue is somewhere else.
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    a_n_memon88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spectra View Post
    Difference in values is minor. i don't think it will quiet down the valve train. Issue is somewhere else.
    I am attaching the clips of sound for reference







    https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...482B1AFD8!1923

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    driver_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    37
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    looks like valve clearance too much. From what i have experienced even a gap of 0.1 mm in excess can cause the tappets to chatter.
    A common error/problem while setting the gap is not finding the right TDC for each cylinder which usually causes incorrect gapping

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    sohna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    688
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    My friend donot worry and change the clearence according to ur service manual, other wise ur valve may b drop in head
    What an Idea SIR G.......

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,400
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    when adjusting, make sure that the cam comes to exact TDC for each respective cylinder otherwise you maybe adjusting the clearance to a wrong face of the cam lobe.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    a_n_memon88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by driver_guy View Post
    looks like valve clearance too much. From what i have experienced even a gap of 0.1 mm in excess can cause the tappets to chatter.
    A common error/problem while setting the gap is not finding the right TDC for each cylinder which usually causes incorrect gapping
    That is what I was thinking that gaping should be according to standard, but there is one thing that is confusing me is that I am using CNG on my vehicle and I am wondering that if I go back to standard setting I might mess up my valves because CNG has differents burning characteristics and it produces different heat than on petrol and if a valve is remained open too much it might burn and closing the gap will cause the valve to open early and remain open for longer period. The other thing you mentioned is absolutely correct that these guys dont know how to adjust tappets. A good technician can adjust valve clearance of all cylinders of the engine in one completer rotation of engine whereas our local just rotate engine many times and go on their andaazzas. Lastly if you know a guy who can do the job for me I will be dictating him the parameters and he will be adjusting the clearances then please do tell me

  9. #9
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    a_n_memon88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sohna View Post
    My friend donot worry and change the clearence according to ur service manual, other wise ur valve may b drop in head
    What do you mean by drop in head?

  10. #10
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    a_n_memon88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    when adjusting, make sure that the cam comes to exact TDC for each respective cylinder otherwise you maybe adjusting the clearance to a wrong face of the cam lobe.
    Now that I have told you standards as per manual and current settings on my car what combination of clearances you suggest suitable for pakistani environment and running on CNG

  11. #11
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    a_n_memon88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @ all

    Please tell what are the consequences of

    too much clearance

    too less clearance

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    a_n_memon88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    bring up my post

  13. #13
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    argtr65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,645
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    On valves where it loosens up, it will make noise and accelerate rocker arm and valve tip wear. On valves where the lash closes up, it will cause the valves to leak and burn.
    Never loose hope in life,every step gives u something.

  14. #14
    Newbie Follow
    nabeelmannan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Service & Repair manual for honda city idsi

    Quote Originally Posted by a_n_memon88 View Post
    AOA

    The car under question is honda city idsi 2005. The car runs fine and has smooth idle half self start, but a noisy valvetrain. While searching the net for cure of valvetrain noise I came onto a page and it said that too much clearance can give rise to valvetrain noise. I remember from my last tuneup of vehicle and even before that, that the mechanics, last time it was some desi while before that it was a honda one, set the valve clearance as follows, the engine was cold

    Intake 0.008 inches
    Exhaust 0.010 inches

    I have a soft copy of japenese honda fit service manual and in it I read that for L12A i.e our 1248 cc and even upto L15A idsi have valve clearance as follow, note that engine has to be cold

    Intake 0.006-0.007 inches
    Exhaust 0.010-0.012 inches

    Well now the question is self explanatory i.e the intake valve clearance is 0.001 inches more than the standard maximum and exhaust clearance is at minimum of standard which to me does not seem symetrical. The things come to mind is that they should either be 0.006 and 0.010 for intake and exhaust or 0.007 and 0.012 for intake and exhaust respectively. Now my question is thatIf I disturb my cars valve clearance and go back to standard can I have a quieter valvetrain and what other effects it will have on my cars performance i.e efficiency, power, idling etc
    hey I am looking for service & repair manual for Honda city IDSI... plz help me out!

  15. #15
    PakWheeler Follow
    judgevt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Faisalabad
    Posts
    95
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    It's a chance that the mechanic made a error with his feeler gauge ,it can happen as numbers etched on them wear away with use.That extra clearance you mention would not be noticeable .

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •