0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Bad CNG Consumption - Hondy City 98

I recently purchased a used honda city 98. Its engine is in very good condition. I got the tappits adjusted and replaced all plugs, but still it gives me 70-80KM on full cylinder (i.e Rs 450) with AC. My mechanic says that it is due to valve problem and it will cost around 13000/- to get the valves repaired. Could someone plz guide me whether valve effect cng consumption or is it some other issue, and also does valve repairing costs around 13K?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think you SHOULD NOT and ABSOLUTELY NOT do ANYTHING with the settings you have.

If you get 80 km mileage with AC, by just filling gas of Rs 450, its absolutely perfect.

I myself own a civic 97 VTI. I get, on average 170 to 180 km mileage without AC in local city traffic. My cylinder gets filled up in approx, now-a-days in Rs. 800 to 850.

You probably have a smaller cylinder capacity and hence getting (apparently ) less mileage.

Thats my opinion, let the expert come with more precise knowledge.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Your CNG consumption is perfectly fine.Just look at the current CNG prices.What more do you want?Secondly your mechanic is a guaranteed thieve like majority of our local mechanics.Just stay away from him.Never go back.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you guys for your valuable feedback.. but leaving aside the price of CNG, my previous car was 1500cc Spectra and it was giving the same average.. shoudnt 1300cc give a better average...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear Ali Rashdi,
    You mentioned that you fill up your CNG tank in Rs 450. That means, you have a very small tank. And that is what I suspect that you are getting low mileage.

See its simple maths, smaller Gas cylinder, means less amount of gas, and hence less mileage. Now-a-days, a 55L cylinder gets filled in aprrox 800 Rs.

All I am saying is, 80Km with AC for Rs 450 is Good.
    Please mention the size of your Gas Tank/Cylinder.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes i get your logic.. my cylinder is 50kg, but if we do the same calculation this way: For example 80KM in Rs 450 means.. 5.6 Rs per kilometer, whereas my friend has the same city and he is getting 140KM in Rs 600, which means 4.2 Rs per kilometer. Therefore i should be getting 80KM in around Rs 340/-. Thats the reason im confused. But do u guyz think consumption has anything to do with Valve problem?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by alirashdi View Post
    Yes i get your logic.. my cylinder is 50kg, but if we do the same calculation this way: For example 80KM in Rs 450 means.. 5.6 Rs per kilometer, whereas my friend has the same city and he is getting 140KM in Rs 600, which means 4.2 Rs per kilometer. Therefore i should be getting 80KM in around Rs 340/-. Thats the reason im confused. But do u guyz think consumption has anything to do with Valve problem?
    With that little difference, its more of a tuning issue rather than a valve issue.

- Do check whether your CNG regulator is in proper condition (no condensate oil inside it).

- If there is a distributor in your car then check the cap condition.

- Its better to have an advancer for cng rather than to manually advance ignition timing by altering distributor position.

- Also check to see if your car's radiator fan is automatic or does it run continuously? It should be made auto, NOT continuous.
    Selling Vitz+local cars - compatible bluetooth Ecu Scantool, High-amp car chargers, Apple-certified Lightning Cables, etc. Click on my name and see my started threads for details.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Ahsanonline
    How does fan effect CNG performance?as mine car is also direct n its average is also not very good

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahsanonline View Post
    With that little difference, its more of a tuning issue rather than a valve issue.

- Do check whether your CNG regulator is in proper condition (no condensate oil inside it).

- If there is a distributor in your car then check the cap condition.

- Its better to have an advancer for cng rather than to manually advance ignition timing by altering distributor position.

- Also check to see if your car's radiator fan is automatic or does it run continuously? It should be made auto, NOT continuous.
    My Fan is direct, does it effect the average? and can advancer also be installed on NON-EFI cars?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The direct fan prevents the engine to warm up to it's proper operating temperature and hence effects consumption and reduce engine life.Although the consumption difference may not be noticeable but it surely reduce the engine's life time because engine operating below the operating temperature has more wear and tear.

I have installed STAP Timing processor in my Khyber which is of course non efi.
    Actually it is a timing retarder and it retard the timing when u drive on petrol and hence timing is advanced when u convert to CNG.
    STAP is also installed in factory fitted CNG vehicle.I have seen many (factory fitted CNG) non efi cultus and mehran equipped with it.
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/per...77#post3206355

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

450 ruppay main tau koi Nestle ki 1.5 litre bottle jitna cylinder hi fill hota hoga ajkal...
    ur mechanic is a 2 numbree for sure....!!!!
    on a serious note, the possibility is that ur 50 kg cylinder (as per ur claim) is not getting filled to its full capacity somehow....!!! one possible reason can be the poor quality pressure of the CNG...next time fill ur cylinder at a time when the pressure is good (200 pressure is fine) which u will easily find if u go to cng station early morning or late night or at a time when its not rush hour...!!! u can ask the cng station boy ...a good and reputable station staff will tell u the true pressure if u ask them...or ideally they warn u in advance if the pressure is low (180 and below is low pressure as per my opinion)...always fill cng when pressure is 200 or more...hopefully ur problem may get resolved tht way...
    but if u r already getting cng filling at good pressure (200 or more ) then another possibility is tht ur cylinder needs cleaning / cng kit servicing etc at some good CNG mechanic...
    another advice is that in the current fluctuating prices of fuel..its not wise to calculate in Ruppees/km method (or soon u will end up being a diabetes/High BP or a cardiology patient) ....use instead a more stable and reliable way of calculating which is km/kg for CNG (or km/litre for petrol)....!!!!
    anyways 80km with AC in city for 450.. u are getting 15-16 km/kg WITH AC in city ....u shud be a happy man..!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rizkhan2010 View Post
    450 ruppay main tau koi Nestle ki 1.5 litre bottle jitna cylinder hi fill hota hoga ajkal...
    ur mechanic is a 2 numbree for sure....!!!!
    on a serious note, the possibility is that ur 50 kg cylinder (as per ur claim) is not getting filled to its full capacity somehow....!!! one possible reason can be the poor quality pressure of the CNG...next time fill ur cylinder at a time when the pressure is good (200 pressure is fine) which u will easily find if u go to cng station early morning or late night or at a time when its not rush hour...!!! u can ask the cng station boy ...a good and reputable station staff will tell u the true pressure if u ask them...or ideally they warn u in advance if the pressure is low (180 and below is low pressure as per my opinion)...always fill cng when pressure is 200 or more...hopefully ur problem may get resolved tht way...
    but if u r already getting cng filling at good pressure (200 or more ) then another possibility is tht ur cylinder needs cleaning / cng kit servicing etc at some good CNG mechanic...
    another advice is that in the current fluctuating prices of fuel..its not wise to calculate in Ruppees/km method (or soon u will end up being a diabetes/High BP or a cardiology patient) ....use instead a more stable and reliable way of calculating which is km/kg for CNG (or km/litre for petrol)....!!!!
    anyways 80km with AC in city for 450.. u are getting 15-16 km/kg WITH AC in city ....u shud be a happy man..!!!
    Thank you for your suggestion, but even if you calculate with KM/KG, My cylinder fills till 6kg and gives 80KM i.e 13.5KM per kg which should have been atleast 16. Second even if i get my cylinder cleaned, it will take in more gas, but that would also increase price of cng filling. It would go longer but per KM will remain the same

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by alirashdi View Post
    Thank you for your suggestion, but even if you calculate with KM/KG, My cylinder fills till 6kg and gives 80KM i.e 13.5KM per kg which should have been atleast 16. Second even if i get my cylinder cleaned, it will take in more gas, but that would also increase price of cng filling. It would go longer but per KM will remain the same
    cng price per kg = Rs 86 ~ 87
    450/87 = 5.17 kg or 5.2 kg approx (its not 6 kg as u mentioned)
    80 km for 5.2 kg means = 80/5.2 = 15.4 km approx
    u r getting 15.4 km per kg not 13.5

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

my city 2002 gives 180km mileage in 7kg of cng in city driving without ac(50 or 55kg) cylinder.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

my Alto have 50 L cylinder... And Gass Filled in 450-470.. Gives 120Km
    Pakistan <3

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if u dont run the car on petrol much or do so rarely
    fully advance the timing and reduce the gas flow
    then check the avg
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

shud be atleast 135, get kit serviced an mixture adjusted

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Quality of GAS in khi or LHR can not be compared to Islamabad. In Islamabad I get 200KM Out of my 1.8 but in LHR this car hardly does 100 to 120 and with pathetic torque.

Here my 55KG Cyl fills up in around 830 to 850 RS.
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Vaqas1 View Post
    The Quality of GAS in khi or LHR can not be compared to Islamabad. In Islamabad I get 200KM Out of my 1.8 but in LHR this car hardly does 100 to 120 and with pathetic torque.

Here my 55KG Cyl fills up in around 830 to 850 RS.
    Dear All,

Thank you for your valuable comments, as mentioned above it should atleast be 130KM. Now i have to find the reason why its giving bad average. Secondly, CNG in karachi is not 87/- its 78/-

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Faisal.77

I recently got the same issue with my City 98 whereby my CNG and petrol consumption altogather jumped. One of the four plugs were out of order and the mechanic mentioned that I have to get the valves replaced. A friend of mine suggested that I should get the cable checked that provides current to the plug before venturing into the new valve set. I just hope it is the case otherwise I may go for new valves and incur good cost.

I would be more than happy if you guys got some other suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List