0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Angry My troubled Honda City i-VTEC Prosmatec

I recently received my long awaited Honda City A/T (now known as i-Vtec prosmatec). The car has a few issues since day 1 the major issue of it being very sluggish. At first I thought its a new car and will start performing better as I'll start putting up more kms on it, but that never happened. I had to take it to three different honda dealerships and that too even before 1000 km.

The issues that were faced by me:
    1. Sluggish performance at low rpms which results in hard shifting at low gears (not solved yet)
    2. A/C stops working when the car is parked/stands still at one place (Solved)
    3. The steering was not centered (Solved)

Diagnosis by Honda:
    1. Sluggish Performance: All the dealerships that I went to did the same thing they reprogrammed the ECU and asked me to use a mix of super and hi-octance. The problem still persists.
    2. A/C: The issue was resolved by the first dealership I went to. There was not enough gas/refrigerant. They first took out all the gas, then cleaned the a/c pipes by creating a vaccum and then recharged the gas.
    3. Steering Alignment: Resolved with an issue.

Problem at hand:

I'm in dire need of help from my fellow pakwheelers to solve the issue of sluggish performance and hard shifting at lower RPMS. This issue is creating a complete nuisance for me when I'm driving from home to office and its totally killing the whole experience of driving a new car.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

did anyone, who owns the same generation of City automatic transmission, face such an issue?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well I never had a chance to drive a Prosmatec City but as per my experience the Prosmatec tranny equipped Hondas have quite slow acceleration. (Talking about 7th gen Civic)
    However the shifting is quite smooth and there are no such jerks felt during shifting which you mentioned.
    One of the most difficult things in the world is to know how to do something, and to watch without comment, somebody else do it incorrectly.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by r0shu View Post
    I recently received my long awaited Honda City A/T (now known as i-Vtec prosmatec). The car has a few issues since day 1 the major issue of it being very sluggish. At first I thought its a new car and will start performing better as I'll start putting up more kms on it, but that never happened. I had to take it to three different honda dealerships and that too even before 1000 km.

1. Sluggish performance at low rpms which results in hard shifting at low gears (not solved yet)

Diagnosis by Honda:
    1. Sluggish Performance: All the dealerships that I went to did the same thing they reprogrammed the ECU and asked me to use a mix of super and hi-octance. The problem still persists.
    2. A/C: The issue was resolved by the first dealership I went to. There was not enough gas/refrigerant. They first took out all the gas, then cleaned the a/c pipes by creating a vaccum and then recharged the gas.

Problem at hand:

I'm in dire need of help from my fellow pakwheelers to solve the issue of sluggish performance and hard shifting at lower RPMS. This issue is creating a complete nuisance for me when I'm driving from home to office and its totally killing the whole experience of driving a new car.
    Give it a couple hard 75% throttle runs starting from low rpm right up to ~5000rpm esp. in 2nd and 3rd shift. The ecu needs to learn the ideal ignition timing and fuel mix under load. Don't reflash again and again, it kills the learning of the ecu. And you may use normal petrol (but from a good station eg. PSO) for the purpose.
    Selling Vitz+local cars - compatible bluetooth Ecu Scantool, High-amp car chargers, Apple-certified Lightning Cables, etc. Click on my name and see my started threads for details.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

did anyone, who owns the same generation of City automatic transmission, face such an issue?

Diagnosis by Honda:

Problem at hand:

your location is US - why not claim a replacment from Honda ?
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    your location is US - why not claim a replacment from Honda ?
    AFAIK City is not sold (officially) in USA
    He is most assuredly talking about Pakistan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear poster.
    The AT version is indeed sluggish. At times, when you turn the AC on with 3-4 passengers and start from a stand still, its like you are driving a donkey cart. The 12/16 valve vtec enables all the 16 valves to be opened not less than 2500 rpm although its supposed to be an iVTEC :the "i" corresponding to intellgent based on need. By that time, the car still thinks whether the driver is sure it should move or not.

I have tried figuring many times whether its the Torque converter trying to engage lock-up clutch or some thing else, and it turns out, the car literally start breathing everytime after 2500 rpm. And thus conclusion (though not backed by any proof except that Honda guys claim the same) that the remaining 4 intake vales (out of 8) open after that rpm range.

Regarding jerks, i concur that it would give you jerks in the early 5km odo range. but will start improving once you reach around 10k.

I also second Mr. ahsanonline. The ECU learns the fuel balance everytime after a reset. The maintenance manual has a defined procedure for making it learn by first letting it idle for 3-5 mins and then driving at certain defined speeds and rpms. Dont do frequent resets if its not helping.

Your best bet is 70:30 mix of premium:high octane. There's no alternative to this issue as yet.

P.S. I have written it multiple times on PW and will write it again. The 2010 ECU upgrade to reduce engine knock does make the engine less noisier and smooth but the sluggish issue is a trade-off. You should have seen how it ran crazy with the 2009 firmware. Brilliant.
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Not entirely relevant but may help City users in future.

Help Required Honda City i-VTEC Prosmatec -414190

Help Required Honda City i-VTEC Prosmatec -414191
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Roshu , i also own 2010 city AT and since the day i received this car same issues you are experiencing . its initial pick in 1-2 gears is nothing less than pathetic.

I have shown it to official honda dealers but they say its same with all AT models and there is no issue of pick....

I will love to get a fix of this if anyone can help i will b much obliged.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Changes in transmission for auto

Iam just wondering if any of the city users can verify if there are any software/hardware changes in transmission or is it the same old transmission with only a prosmatec sticker at the back?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have a 2011 honda city automatic. The pick is bad in first two gears and jerk is felt in gear 1 to 2 change. Sometimes reverse gear ke liye pedal zayada dabana parta hai! ....i had a belta before this and its transmission was wonderful. P.s nothing improves by 10 k change, and a.c is quite poor too

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
    BEST THINGS IN LIFE R NEVER FREE

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@roshu my friend was facing the same problem in his new city automatic and the problem simply resolved by running car on 100% hi octane the engine of city is designed to run on hi octane just try that and your issue will be resolved......

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Kzaki , what a simple and ECONOMICAL solution u have proposed. "100% HI OCTANE" , all the way.......

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Get petrol from Total stations.

And give time to your car to train itself a little. Don't treat it like a baby, it was never meant to be.
    Selling Vitz+local cars - compatible bluetooth Ecu Scantool, High-amp car chargers, Apple-certified Lightning Cables, etc. Click on my name and see my started threads for details.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you everyone for your great encouraging replies. One thing that's clear is that its not just my car which has issues, its with all the City i-vtec automatics in Pakistan. I'm currently using 100% Hi-Octane the car drives a bit better but still doesn't lives upto the expectations.

In search of answers to my issue online one thing that I've observed is that every market offers this car with CVT transmission its only in Pakistan where it is being offered with 5-speed prosmatec which I assume is as a result of failure of CVT on CNG. Hence the transmission and powertrain are not compatible.

I hope Honda Atlas Cars Pakistan Limited finds a solution for this. I've just wasted my precious PKR ~1.6 million on a useless car.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by H.S.N View Post
    Iam just wondering if any of the city users can verify if there are any software/hardware changes in transmission or is it the same old transmission with only a prosmatec sticker at the back?
    There's no difference it has always been prosmatec they just realized that they need to communicate it to the buyers and hence rebadged it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rustam54 View Post
    Dear poster.
    The AT version is indeed sluggish. At times, when you turn the AC on with 3-4 passengers and start from a stand still, its like you are driving a donkey cart. The 12/16 valve vtec enables all the 16 valves to be opened not less than 2500 rpm although its supposed to be an iVTEC :the "i" corresponding to intellgent based on need. By that time, the car still thinks whether the driver is sure it should move or not.

I have tried figuring many times whether its the Torque converter trying to engage lock-up clutch or some thing else, and it turns out, the car literally start breathing everytime after 2500 rpm. And thus conclusion (though not backed by any proof except that Honda guys claim the same) that the remaining 4 intake vales (out of 8) open after that rpm range.

Regarding jerks, i concur that it would give you jerks in the early 5km odo range. but will start improving once you reach around 10k.

I also second Mr. ahsanonline. The ECU learns the fuel balance everytime after a reset. The maintenance manual has a defined procedure for making it learn by first letting it idle for 3-5 mins and then driving at certain defined speeds and rpms. Dont do frequent resets if its not helping.

Your best bet is 70:30 mix of premium:high octane. There's no alternative to this issue as yet.

P.S. I have written it multiple times on PW and will write it again. The 2010 ECU upgrade to reduce engine knock does make the engine less noisier and smooth but the sluggish issue is a trade-off. You should have seen how it ran crazy with the 2009 firmware. Brilliant.
    How can I reflash it back to 2009 firmware?
    Honda City i-VTEC Prosmatec - Worst car ever!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

CVTs did not rank good in Pakistan, they generate an incredible amount of heat when operating in urban conditions and need dealer attention to every hiccup, it also requires very expensive fluid.

The old shifting clutch pack transmissions are better IMO for places like Pakistan or someone whose address is nowhere, texas.

btw less no of valves operating at idle speed and off idle speed would encourage low rpm torque, multivalve is beneficial only at high revs, Your car should shoot off from standstill - if its not get to Honda and chew them out - no car is supposed to be like this.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Then who said you to go for Prosmatec, should have gone for Manual like the majority does, Sorry NO OFFENSE just Personal Opinion!!! BTW I LOVE CITY M/T...BETTER ACCELERATION YET MUCH CHEAPER THAN PROSMATEC and ALHAMDULILLAH GIVES NO ISSUES...THINK AGAIN!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    CVTs did not rank good in Pakistan, they generate an incredible amount of heat when operating in urban conditions and need dealer attention to every hiccup, it also requires very expensive fluid.

The old shifting clutch pack transmissions are better IMO for places like Pakistan or someone whose address is nowhere, texas.

btw less no of valves operating at idle speed and off idle speed would encourage low rpm torque, multivalve is beneficial only at high revs, Your car should shoot off from standstill - if its not get to Honda and chew them out - no car is supposed to be like this.
    I've been to different Honda dealerships they have no solution for this. All that they do is take the car for a test drive and waste my precious fuel and then say its just fine. Use beter fuel it will be alright.
    Honda City i-VTEC Prosmatec - Worst car ever!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List