0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda City 2004 Brakes Issue

Ok so I've been driving this car since 2004. The brakes on this are TERRIBLE, right? Its not just me, and the brakes on the City are pretty bad, right?

When I press the brakes, it seems as if only the front brakes are engaged as the weight of the car moves forward. Also, press the brakes slightly hard and you're almost certain that they'll slip.

A local mechanic in Rawalpindi has been on my back to get this 'kit' installed, that will make the brakes better. Supposedly, the 'kit' sends an equal amount of oil to the back brakes, as it does to the front. Which means that all 4 brakes are engaged with equal force - something that doesn't happen in the City by default. He says its a manufacturing fault. The kit in questions costs 7000. Seriously considering getting the kit, but I might even sell the car.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As far as I have gone through troubles of brakes and seeking solutions online, there's no way an expert can identify the root cause of such problems sitting behind a computer. The user actually has to do hit and trial, post the results and then one can advise way forward.

But before i say anything, mind you- your mechanic is just looking for you to be caught up in a cycle that only he can fix. So that "kit" supposedly costing 7000 should be ignored for the moment. (We all know he is referring to some kabli distribution block)

When you apply brakes, the weight of the car does shift forward so that doesnt mean the rear brakes are not working. That is the same reason brake force is distributed 70:30% split between front and rear. More weight on front (due to engine and resulting weight shift) can take more brake force without letting the tyre slip.

To be sure of if the rear wheels are not locking, on a wide, traffic-free carpetted road, drive the car to 60 and literally slam the brakes while keeping the steering straight as possible. Stop and come out of car. Observe the tyre pattern on road, the rear wheel skid pattern should be visible and overlapping on the front ones.

Now the diagnosis. How long have you kept the car with you?? How many times the pads/leathers have been replaced. How many times the disks, drums have been faced on lathe machine?? When was the last time you completely bled brake fluid??

If you are sure the disks, pads, drums, leathers are in good nick, (visible inspection), move on to observing brake lines at the wheels. They may swell during operation. Observe hardened rubber and signs of deformity. Next replace the brake fluid completely. Not just at the hubs only using two/three bleed strokes. Bleed as much that the fluid should be fresh from resorvior to distribution to hubs all the way. Would only cost you 2 bottles at max. The manufacturers recommend to replace brake fluid every 3 years as it absorbs moisture over time and starts rusting brake lines.

If still not working, one can further look in master cylinder seals, distrubution block, replacing disks, re-furbishing drums etc...... but dont just throw parts at the moment. Try to isolate the problem step by step.
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for this detailed and very informative reply!

I'll definitely try the trial-and-error 'slam the brakes at 60' experiment tonight, sehri would be a good time to try that since the roads are deserted at that time.

I've had the car with me for 8+ years now. All periodic maintenance has been done according to Honda's service manual, which means all brake pads and fluids have been changed according to the book.

However the brakes have slipped for as long as I can remember. Isolating the problem to something particular is a good idea. However my limited car- (and especially brakes-) related knowledge means that it might be easier said than done.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes pre 2006 models do slip like the cow shape XLI's
    the mechanic is suggesting brake T swap(which actually does make sense)

however putting wide soft tyres with correct tyre pressure in front would help to
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List