143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    52 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda City IDSi Wierd Clutch Issue

Aoa Fellow PWers. Hoping to find you in the best of your healths.

I have recently been facing a wierd clutch issue in my IDSi city 2004. Starting off with a brief history, the car has genuine 209354kms on the ODO.

We are its first owners, all maintenance has usually been carried out on time, or at least, ASAP after the limits. The engine, transmission is in its original seals, nothing has ever been touched or replaced.

The history of clutch is, there are two cylinders, which to the best of my knowledge are known as master and slave. Two times, the cylinders have been replaced because they went out and the clutch pedal went completely dead. After the replacement, it became ok. The kits were replaced two months back.

Now, after the last replacement, the very next day, I had to drive to ISB. The issue was there even before, but after the new kit, it multiplied. I mean, at steep climbs, the car wouldn't move, the rpms shot with the gas pedal as if the clutch was still pressed, though it was released.

I made it climb by turning off the ac, the issue became less, feels as if its connected to the load put on the engine. Khair, I reached there, driver brought second car to me for use, just in case, cz I didn't want to drive it with the issue. It remained still as such in the garage for three consecutive days.

And when I drove it back to mianwali, surprisingly, the issue had mysteriously vanished at all. Discussed it with the mech, he said it might be the new kit sticking. The issue didn't occur again, may be cz the car is driven only like 40kms a day, only in city.

On last saturday, I went to isb again, the issue came up again.

On the way, I struggled hard to take it upto 80kmh cz all it did was revv up with the gas. Then I thought of doing a thing, I stopped and poured ice cold water on the cylinders and the transmission.

The issue didn't vanish totally, but it decreased around 85%! It came up only on steep climbs where I floored it to maintain speed.

On motorway, I was driving at 130kph to 140kph and what the car did was occasionally raise rpms on climbs, I mean where the load on the engine slightly increased. Note that I put it in 5th gear from the entry interchange to Islamabad exit toll plaza, didn't press the pedal at all.

A mech also gave me a theory k jab clutch plate garam ho jati hai, to slip maareny lagti hai. I was like WTF? Clutch plate is either dead, or is perfect, ye darmyaan waali baat kahan se ayi?

He says k I will have to change the pressure and clutch plates. The issue will definitely go away, but I want to know if it really is the clutch plate and not anything else.

What can be wrong with the car? The issue is there whenever I floor the car, the rpm shoots to 5.5k something and then comes back gradually as if someone releases the clutch slowly. Then I can the car pulling, but then again, even if I don't touch the pedal, the rpms rise and the pull is gone again.

Looking forward to expert opinions from you friends.

jazakAllah in advance
    Regards
    Fawad Khan
    Agar chy bu'tt' hain Jama'at ki Aasteenon main - Mujhay Hai Hukm-e-Aazaan LA ILA HA ILL ALLAH...!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

replace clutch plate/pressure plate/clutch bearing
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    52 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You mean all of them or any of them?
    Agar chy bu'tt' hain Jama'at ki Aasteenon main - Mujhay Hai Hukm-e-Aazaan LA ILA HA ILL ALLAH...!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yaar pura set change karao na
    taxi to nahi.
    its quiet a hatlse to open everything(expensive+time consuming) up so usually the whole set is changed. though usually pressure plate at times can last more but still

5. 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Site Banned

6. 08-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Site Banned

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    yaar pura set change karao na
    taxi to nahi.
    its quiet a hatlse to open everything(expensive+time consuming) up so usually the whole set is changed. though usually pressure plate at times can last more but still
    AOA

dear i have faced same problem in my citi 2004. clutch done dead. i have replaced both master and slave cylinder. after running two days again my clutch went dead on road.
    my mechanic said your clutch plate and pressure plate need to be changed. on his suggestion i have replaced clutch and pressure plate but again faced similar problem after two days. now my mechanic said there is other cylinder need to be changed.
    dear friends i am fed up with this problem and need your advice what to do. i have spent almost 17000 on this process and not want to spend any single penny more.
    please guide me.
    thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i also had the same issue but was resolved by Replacing Clutch pressure Cylinder be sure to verify Transmission completely from an Expert not an "Ustaad" before opening gearbox for Clutch and pressure plate .
    Knowledge is power guard it well !

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am no expert and I might be wrong
    but Sir, have you checked the brake/clutch fluid?
    if city has a separate bottle for clutch fluid, check that
    or else check brake fluid.....seems like the cylinders are sticking
    as you said they are new, next thing that comes to mind is the fluid.
    Btw if the car is on original clutch plate, em pretty sure its life is over after 200k kms

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by farhan111 View Post
    AOA

dear i have faced same problem in my citi 2004. clutch done dead. i have replaced both master and slave cylinder. after running two days again my clutch went dead on road.
    my mechanic said your clutch plate and pressure plate need to be changed. on his suggestion i have replaced clutch and pressure plate but again faced similar problem after two days. now my mechanic said there is other cylinder need to be changed.
    dear friends i am fed up with this problem and need your advice what to do. i have spent almost 17000 on this process and not want to spend any single penny more.
    please guide me.
    thanks
    was never a clutch plate/pressure plate issue.i am sorry the dumb dumb made u change that
    its still master cylinder issue, replace with genuine,bleed the clutch as final step

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I had a similar issue my city idsi 2008 . the pedal went soo hard to press at times , usually during hot weather time .
    However i got my pressure/Clutch plates changes but still the issue remained . The clutch pedal even after pressing wont come up and car would not move . Anyways i had to go for original kit of both cylinders ( Slave and master ) thats when the problem went away .

I would advice you not to go for local ones because i did also but it the problem came up again . So go for original onces inshAllah the problem will go.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks all of you for your valuable comments. if any one knows the price of both cylinders please let me know and also brand and its market location in lahore.

Thanks in advance.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers