Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: reduced engine oil intake capacity....is it sludge ??

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default engine taking less oil than actual capacity...is it sludge ??

My car (Hyundai Santro) engine's original oil intake capacity is 3 liters. However, i have observed that it has reduced this capacity over the last 2, 3 drain intervals. Now its maximum intake capacity is 2.5 liters, anything poured more than that will be shown on the dip stick way above full mark. Question is, what can be the reason ?? sludge build up ??
    Car has been maintained well (at least since i owned it). Its drive is smooth, acceleration is good till 100km/hr. After that its hard to accelerate. Max it goes is till 120 km/hr.

a brief profile/history:
    Hyundai Santro Club 2005.
    Odometer : 92k km. (with me since 82k km)
    Oil Brand: Shell Helix HX5 (used since i purchased car 10 months back)
    Oil grade: SAE 10W-40, API= SG
    Oil type: mineral
    Drain interval: 3000 km & OEM oil filter (air filter changed every 2nd oil change)
    Oil consumption : 1 liter per 1 drain interval (topped-up all along.)

Fuel type : CNG (90%) / Petrol (10%)
    Fuel economy: good on CNG /poor on petrol. (CNG: 20 km/kg, Petrol: approx 10 km/liter)

Problem: Engine is accommodating half-a-liter less engine oil (i,e 2.5 L) than its actual capacity 3 liters.
    Experts... please comment.
    thanx.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hello dear i have santro 2008 ,same case with me when i pour 3 ltr oil it go up from its original mark and i use 2 change it after 2500 k,and it also reduces almost half liter ,i dont know wt 2 do,but it runs in petrol around 17-18 km on long and awesome cnd consumption,using caltex oil,can any one help us?????

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by meerusman1 View Post
    hello dear i have santro 2008 ,same case with me when i pour 3 ltr oil it go up from its original mark and i use 2 change it after 2500 k,and it also reduces almost half liter ,i dont know wt 2 do,but it runs in petrol around 17-18 km on long and awesome cnd consumption,using caltex oil,can any one help us?????
    You got it all wrong, sir.
    My issue is NOT oil consumption/reduction. My issue is that of reduced oil ACCOMMODATION capacity of engine. Normally Santro engine oil accommodation capacity is 3 liters, whereas my car engine CANNOT take more than 2.5 liters at any given time. Is it sludge that accounts for the reduced half-a-liter capacity or are there any other explanations.

Coming to your problem... which is related to oil consumption. Half a liter consumption/reduction through-out the drain interval is pretty much NORMAL. You can find several related threads on your question in the same section. By the way your drain interval 2500km is very short ?? why change oil so early ?? i consider my own 3000km interval as a short one, but i change it early hoping not to further exacerbate the suspected problem - sludge.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

firstly make sure the oil sump is not dented if its dented the dipstick will not show correct, secondly check the oil dipstick tube and dipstick itself, if the tube is damaged or inserted too deeply the reading will be off, if the dipstick is not genuine for your engine it maybe of incorrect height.

This sort of dipstick stupidity was also in my VW diesel when I bought it, the PO used to fill it up with 5.5 litres of engine oil which then caused blowby, excess crankcase pressure causing oil seals to leak very badly. The actual capacity of the engine was 4.2 litres. new OE dipstick, new guide funnel (VW design) and correct installation of tube gave me correct reading.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Xulfiqar bhai, its dipstick is the same OEM one. Physically doesnt seem damaged or deformed either. I make it sit properly on its hilt in the tube. The tube itself is NOT deshaped. Or at least it looks to me that way.
    About the sump, everytime the car is jacked up for alignment (every 2/3 months), i go and check the underbelly from end to end for any unusual signs such as fluid leakage, cracks, dents etc. Last time i checked it that way was 3 days back. Though i didnt particularly check for sump - which i will do shortly IA,- but the general quick look under the car body did not give me any unusual sign.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rizkhan2010 View Post
    @ Xulfiqar bhai, its dipstick is the same OEM one. Physically doesnt seem damaged or deformed either. I make it sit properly on its hilt in the tube. The tube itself is NOT deshaped. Or at least it looks to me that way.
    About the sump, everytime the car is jacked up for alignment (every 2/3 months), i go and check the underbelly from end to end for any unusual signs such as fluid leakage, cracks, dents etc. Last time i checked it that way was 3 days back. Though i didnt particularly check for sump - which i will do shortly IA,- but the general quick look under the car body did not give me any unusual sign.
    You are not changing the filter with oil.......for small engine like santro 1.0L 2.5 +0.5 filter is understandable.

You could have done this oil sludge treatment at the time of purchase before using any branded oil but be warned this may end up changing some valve seals and gaskets. so if you dont have time for weekend workshop visits for a month and do only city driving then better live with it unless the fuel consumption is ridiculous.

1Lit oil burn for 3000KM drain interval is high enough to suspect valve seals.Try thicker API SJ 20W50 and check morning smoke....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

deleted for repeat

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes, it could be happened, if oil filter is not changed at the time of oil changed.
    Never loose hope in life,every step gives u something.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I change OEM oil filter at every oil change.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List