72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Engine cold LIGHT in HONDA CITY 2007

Guys, i just need to know that there is an Engine cold light in Honda city. In Summer it remained ON for 1-2 minutes when i start the car in the morning, but now in winter it take around 4-5 minutes, i do take care of my car alot but to wait for 4-5 minutes is kinda annoying

is it recommended to drive a car with engine cold light turned on. Specially in winter</SPAN></SPAN>

Before you criticize someone, Make sure you are better than them.............

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Picture just to be more precise
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good question.
    Well in my case I wait for rpm to reach near 1000rpm cuz usually in winter my city goes to around 1500 rpm when cold and comes around 800 or 900 rpm when at optimal temperature.

Sent through Pro book GT-I65536

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bro be patient it is advisable to wait n let the machine attain the appropriate temp to perform..........as u r well aware of the xtream cold weather these days here in lhr so engine also need bit time to get warm

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

warm up of 2 to 3 minutes is sufficient for modern engines.
    Two of the best quotes of Punjabi : 1. Rull tan gae aan! Per Chass aa Gae ai!, 2. Gal Pya Dhol Ty Wajana Penda ay.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hmmm
    i dont warm up my car except for 1-2min
    or else i open up bonnet sometimes so it can warm up in that time

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i wait for the rpm to drop to 800-900rev then ITS GO TIME...
    JDM Always 2 STEPs AHEAD..........

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you have:
    1)Thermostat valve installed and it is properly working
    &
    2) your car's radiator fan is automatic
    then your car should reach its optimal temperature in 4, 5 minutes when started in morning. Much of wear tear to engine occurs during cold start. It is advisable that one should wait for the engine to attain optimum temperature before driving the car off. Putting load on car while it is still cold or raving up the engine by flooring accelerator recklessly when engine is COLD in the morning is bad for your engine.
    For longer engine life and for better fuel economy:
    > drive your car at optimal temperature.
    > install thermostat valve
    > DO NOT use direct radiator fan... use automatic fan instead.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you wait for the light to turn off than you would be burning a hell lot of fuel because of richer mixture and auto choke because of cold temperature. It is a debatable topic but most of them say that modern engines dont necessarily require the engine to be completely warmed up. It is advisable to warm up the car for 30-60secs and than drive the car keeping the revs under 2000 till the light turns off and than drive normally. Remember that the best way to heat up a cars engine is to drive it rather than just letting it idle and waste fuel.

In my case I start the car and wait for 45-60 sec than reverse the car and move it out of parking lot. Movement out of parking lot requires moving the car at slow speed. After getting out the car I drive it till the green light is off. These days it is usually somewhere between 0.5 km to 1.5 kms depending on temperature outside. As the light turns off now you can drive the car the way you want.

BTW this Monday I went to thokar from samanabad and it is roughly 13 kms. When I went there I saw the rpm guage and it was 850-900 rpm. My car normally idles at 750 rpms so it means that the car was still running on choke after even drive of 13kms so you can imagine how much fuel you will burning or wasting if you intend to let the green light turn off before you drive.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by a_n_memon88 View Post
    If you wait for the light to turn off than you would be burning a hell lot of fuel because of richer mixture and auto choke because of cold temperature. It is a debatable topic but most of them say that modern engines dont necessarily require the engine to be completely warmed up. It is advisable to warm up the car for 30-60secs and than drive the car keeping the revs under 2000 till the light turns off and than drive normally. Remember that the best way to heat up a cars engine is to drive it rather than just letting it idle and waste fuel.

In my case I start the car and wait for 45-60 sec than reverse the car and move it out of parking lot. Movement out of parking lot requires moving the car at slow speed. After getting out the car I drive it till the green light is off. These days it is usually somewhere between 0.5 km to 1.5 kms depending on temperature outside. As the light turns off now you can drive the car the way you want.

BTW this Monday I went to thokar from samanabad and it is roughly 13 kms. When I went there I saw the rpm guage and it was 850-900 rpm. My car normally idles at 750 rpms so it means that the car was still running on choke after even drive of 13kms so you can imagine how much fuel you will burning or wasting if you intend to let the green light turn off before you drive.
    +1
    thats what i do and thats the right thing to do... no need to waste fuel for 5-6mins every morning...
    When the power of love exceeds the love for power, the world will finally know peace=Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

actually my movement is very limited, i start the car in the morning at the time RPM goes for somewhere around 1.5, and within1-2 min it reaches 1, till that time Cold light remains on. usually i got up late and always in hurry to move to office so as soon as it RPM reachs 1.0 i start accelerating vehicale very very slowly till COLD light turned off.

i park my car at open air office parking for something around 9-10 hours and then again i have to repeate the same exercise, this thing really pi** me off

on weekend i wait for engine to completly warm up and usually it take 3-4 minutes

in addition to that, overall wait for 10-15 minutes in whole day is heavy on POCKET

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asim510 View Post
    actually my movement is very limited, i start the car in the morning at the time RPM goes for somewhere around 1.5, and within1-2 min it reaches 1, till that time Cold light remains on. usually i got up late and always in hurry to move to office so as soon as it RPM reachs 1.0 i start accelerating vehicale very very slowly till COLD light turned off.

i park my car at open air office parking for something around 9-10 hours and then again i have to repeate the same exercise, this thing really pi** me off

on weekend i wait for engine to completly warm up and usually it take 3-4 minutes

in addition to that, overall wait for 10-15 minutes in whole day is heavy on POCKET
    If your car's cooling system is normal (proper coolant filled upto normal level, thermostat installed and working properly) then the SOP for modern engines is 1. if temperature is above freezing (which is the case for most of punjab and sindh even in winters) just wait for about 10~15 seconds to allow oil to circulate completely in the engine and then drive off. Dont drive aggressively until the green light switches off or the coolant temp needle is below C, 2. If temp is below freezing (this normally happens in winters in balochistan or northern areas) then wait for about 1~2 minutes depending upon the ambient temperature and then drive off. Again dont drive aggressively until the green light goes off. Any wait more than the above specified times is just wastage of fuel and more pollution as well. Also please note; the above SOP is only for petrol cars with properly tune engines not for CNG converted vehicles.

Also make sure you are using genuine/good quality motor oil with not more than 10W~ viscosity rating.
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well well....
    as far as i know.
    You don't have to wait for this cold light to be gone.
    Start your car, take time to adjust your seat belt, take out the cell fone out of pocket and adjust ur pants

That has taken already taken 30 seconds and it is go time.
    If you want to be EXTRA careful, just push the rpm more than normal for a minute or so.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ehalin View Post
    If your car's cooling system is normal (proper coolant filled upto normal level, thermostat installed and working properly) then the SOP for modern engines is 1. if temperature is above freezing (which is the case for most of punjab and sindh even in winters) just wait for about 10~15 seconds to allow oil to circulate completely in the engine and then drive off. Dont drive aggressively until the green light switches off or the coolant temp needle is below C, 2. If temp is below freezing (this normally happens in winters in balochistan or northern areas) then wait for about 1~2 minutes depending upon the ambient temperature and then drive off. Again dont drive aggressively until the green light goes off. Any wait more than the above specified times is just wastage of fuel and more pollution as well. Also please note; the above SOP is only for petrol cars with properly tune engines not for CNG converted vehicles.

Also make sure you are using genuine/good quality motor oil with not more than 10W~ viscosity rating.

Dear Problem is, City doesnt have HOT and COLD needle. it just have Engine COLD and Engine HOT light nothing in between therefore i was a bit concious. btw i am using ZIC 5000KM wala

anyways now i ll just for just 1 minute and then shall start accelerate on v low speed till COLD light turns OFF.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Consult with Mechanic to check ur Car's Thermostate Valve's Condition
    If It needs to be replace, then Replace it...
    Simple

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ehalin View Post

usually, the cars converted on cng get to operating temprature quickly. the reason is that petrol also acts as a coolant, gas doesnt! the temperature of a cnged engine is always a bit more then petrol driven engines. but many cars idle very rough on cng even if the tuning is only a little bit out. i always start the car on petrol in the morning n convert to cng after a minute or so.
    as for oil, i would like to recommend everyone who drives a Honda city with relatively low mileage (below 150k kms) to use ONLY HAVOLINE FORMULA 10W30.

I ve used it for a long long time on my car n results were excellent. its not that good for old cars or cars that are driven too much in summer (in winter, its okay)
    When the power of love exceeds the love for power, the world will finally know peace=Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ehalin
    pardon my ignorance but what does SOP means?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by shahrulz_89 View Post
    Consult with Mechanic to check ur Car's Thermostate Valve's Condition
    If It needs to be replace, then Replace it...
    Simple
    do u really believe our stupid mechanics wud know ANYTHING about what to do? they'd advise him to get an after market temp gauge installed so that they can earn some labor cost out of it...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahmadbila View Post
    @ehalin
    pardon my ignorance but what does SOP means?
    sop stands for "standard operating procedure"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sunhonbun View Post
    sop stands for "standard operating procedure"
    oh thank you so much!

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List