Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Vibration During Initial Acceleration - Honda City Vario

Dear All,

Here i am with a new problem, seeking all brothers help.

My Honda City Vario, when accelerating from 0 , (initial speeds upto 10-15kmph), experiences a vibration, that goes away as soon as the engine rev's higher.

E.g on U-turns, or on peeling out of traffic signals, the vibration can be felt (But only if u push the gas pedal suddenly. the sound is not there if gas pedal is pressed gradually).

The car is stable upto speeds of 150-160kmph and with no jerks or vibrations. RPM is totally stable in D,S,L,N,R and P!

I have already gotten suspension work done including shocks+balljoints etc (However the mechanic did tell me that there is one engine mount on the 'gatri' (back end where steering rack is), that is worn out (1 week purani baat hay), so could it be the problem?

Since i hope k koi transmission related problem na ho .

Experts! Please Help!!
    "Good Judgement Comes from Experience,
    And alot of Good Experience Comes from Bad Judgement"

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Salarzae:

Bro what would be the local name to address the torque converter ? since idhar mai jaa k us bande ko torque converter bolung to he's gonna stare at me like i've cursed at him,

Furthermore, any idea of the costs involved ?

Quote Originally Posted by Salarzae View Post
    @venom

Stop playing around and wasting time & money, go change the torque convertor and you'll be as good as new...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by venomdesire View Post
    @Salarzae:

Bro what would be the local name to address the torque converter ? since idhar mai jaa k us bande ko torque converter bolung to he's gonna stare at me like i've cursed at him,

@venom

I've no idea what they call it in desi slang but you can say its clutch plate of automatic to the desi mistri ... about price.. no idea on pakistan market.. sorry for that..
    This Space Intentionally Left Blank.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

btw, if the mech is good enuf, he might be able to flush the TC to see if it resolves the issue... sometimes slippage can cause this shudder too..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by venomdesire View Post
    @Salarzae:

there is no torque converter in a Honda CVT, it uses a damper flywheel.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Salarzae View Post
    btw, if the mech is good enuf, he might be able to flush the TC to see if it resolves the issue... sometimes slippage can cause this shudder too..
    slippage in this transmission means - your pocket is about to have a 1ft hole in it. - the only thing that can cause slip is the first clutch pack (it can be calibrated by Honda), if that does not solve it the variator is busted. Prepare your best to spend mucho dinero
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    slippage in this transmission means - your pocket is about to have a 1ft hole in it. - the only thing that can cause slip is the first clutch pack (it can be calibrated by Honda), if that does not solve it the variator is busted. Prepare your best to spend mucho dinero
    I thot it was AT.. CVT will definitely create a crater up there somewhere... since mechs in Pak are lagging behind in tech

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AOA

This month I got my steering assembly serviced and a rusted/cracked Gantry changed which holds the gear box and when I took a test run, the car was giving bad vibration in the 1st gear on initial acceleration only and it was very bad and loud and felt on the floor pan and suddenly vanished on higher speed as if everything was smooth and great!

Mechanic lifted the car on tripods and checked for few minutes, then we took the car to denter who shaved off a few extra millimeters off the newly installed Gantry from its left side as it was coming in contact with the thing next to it on initial acceleration. The issue was gone as if it never happened!!

So I was just thinking maybe the previous owner did replace some body parts in your car that are off by few mm...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

just as i suspected. reverse gear is, well....*geared differently (geared very high)* means more teeth on the gears so less power required to move the axles but a lot more torque and less effort on the tranny - that's why there is no vibration. 90% sure you will not have this issue on the lift either.
    if no torque convertor in the vario, then no problem, there must be something else performing that function. as long as the concept is clear you can find the problem. whether its first gear slipping or whatever, the guy will open it up and tell you. so check the condition of oil in the tranny. if its very very dirty, or low level. you may get off easy with a quick oil change and servicing. but def. seems to be a tranny problem, and yes, auto trannys are expensive to repair.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

agreed with Xulfiqar on slippage

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Engine mount to change hoa hay with a Kabli one, possibly maybe new mount mai kch masla ho, maybe its not sitting rightly as it should
    Quote Originally Posted by siraj_7 View Post
    AOA

This month I got my steering assembly serviced and a rusted/cracked Gantry changed which holds the gear box and when I took a test run, the car was giving bad vibration in the 1st gear on initial acceleration only and it was very bad and loud and felt on the floor pan and suddenly vanished on higher speed as if everything was smooth and great!

Mechanic lifted the car on tripods and checked for few minutes, then we took the car to denter who shaved off a few extra millimeters off the newly installed Gantry from its left side as it was coming in contact with the thing next to it on initial acceleration. The issue was gone as if it never happened!!

So I was just thinking maybe the previous owner did replace some body parts in your car that are off by few mm...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well,

I thought of selling the car to a family friend, and he wanted to get it checked from the showroom :-\ ....

I was afraid that when the showroom guys would quote him the cost for gear repair, he would back out,

so with fear i went to the showroom *gulp* ...
    The showroom guy drove the car on a test drive....

and then he said "sir jee, 2 foundations are local, change them to original, and get CVT oil drained and changed, your car will be good as new. there's nothing wrong with ur gear" ,,, and i go like dafuq :-O

Cost quoted: around PKR 10k

Quote Originally Posted by bnasir View Post
    just as i suspected. reverse gear is, well....*geared differently (geared very high)* means more teeth on the gears so less power required to move the axles but a lot more torque and less effort on the tranny - that's why there is no vibration. 90% sure you will not have this issue on the lift either.
    if no torque convertor in the vario, then no problem, there must be something else performing that function. as long as the concept is clear you can find the problem. whether its first gear slipping or whatever, the guy will open it up and tell you. so check the condition of oil in the tranny. if its very very dirty, or low level. you may get off easy with a quick oil change and servicing. but def. seems to be a tranny problem, and yes, auto trannys are expensive to repair.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bnasir View Post
    automatic tranys are not very expensive to repair - if you repair a manual tranny with new parts it will be shocking, just a full bearing change of a simple suzuki gearbox with new parts racks up Rs 15000/- in parts. the rest is billed separately.

The Honda CVT is a not well thought out design, instead of a torque convertor to slip they use a clutch pack like a motorcycle which only works when the car is still or in reverse. They could have used what subaru did decades ago in the little J-10

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar bhai can you tell whether the CVT can behave like the one in my car, just because of bad oil?

automatic tranys are not very expensive to repair - if you repair a manual tranny with new parts it will be shocking, just a full bearing change of a simple suzuki gearbox with new parts racks up Rs 15000/- in parts. the rest is billed separately.

The Honda CVT is a not well thought out design, instead of a torque convertor to slip they use a clutch pack like a motorcycle which only works when the car is still or in reverse. They could have used what subaru did decades ago in the little J-10

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@fahadwizz , @bnasir , @Xulfiqar , @argtr65 , @siraj_7 , @Salarzae , and all others :

UPDATE! - PROBLEM SOLVED.

Today the car was sent to Honda Drive In - Karachi 3S Dealer. and the problem is solved Now.

Action Taken:

Replacement of CVT Oil
    "Calibration of the CVT" (I dunno what he meant by it)
    Engine Tuning

The Problem is gone Alhamdulillah like it never existed .

Money Charged = PKR 7800/-

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

calibration is the first clutch initialization, as it wears down the bite point changes and needs to be readjusted, its done via the 16 pin DLC under the dash.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So its nothing bad is it ? Just routine wear and tear, no ?

Furthermore you mean its adjusted using the OBD2 port ?

By the way, @Xulfiqar bhai , can you help me with one thing,
    i bought an ELM 327 OBD2 device, can you tell me what parameters of my car can i tweak using the PC Software and that device?

Can i play around with Idle RPM settings, and spark timing?

Thirdly, is there any way (using OBD2) to check for weakness of Ignition coils?

calibration is the first clutch initialization, as it wears down the bite point changes and needs to be readjusted, its done via the 16 pin DLC under the dash.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The ELM 327 is designed to act as a bridge between OBD ports & standard RS 232 interface,You will have to install software in laptop for remaping or tweaking ecu with the help of scan tool.
    Never loose hope in life,every step gives u something.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@argtr65 : bro can you tell me some softwares which might be available readily on the internet (and perhaps a use-guide too, since i dont wanna screw stuff up)

Quote Originally Posted by argtr65 View Post
    The ELM 327 is designed to act as a bridge between OBD ports & standard RS 232 interface,You will have to install software in laptop for remaping or tweaking ecu with the help of scan tool.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great! Congratulations, now do follow the routine maintainance for honda cvt gear. Its a good thing that u did not continue driving with the prob.

There are all kinds o softwares available for connectivity with obdii port. The easiest to find are read onlys, to find tune n write/modify the ecu u will have to find a software with such capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes, from now on ive decided, that the car will only be sent to Honda 3S Dealership for maintenance and checkups, no local mechanic will be working on this car from now on!

and yes i've read as much about taking care of CVT transmissions as i can , now driving with extreme care !

han i'm trying to get my hands on the software the honda guys use !

Quote Originally Posted by fahadwizz View Post
    Great! Congratulations, now do follow the routine maintainance for honda cvt gear. Its a good thing that u did not continue driving with the prob.

There are all kinds o softwares available for connectivity with obdii port. The easiest to find are read onlys, to find tune n write/modify the ecu u will have to find a software with such capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

User Tag List