Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda City 2005 radiator water requiring frequent top-up

Hey guys,

Some strange issue with my Honda City 2005.

Every week I end up topping up the radiator water by at least 1.5-2.5 liters of water. The reserve water is also reducing. I am not sure why this is happening and I can't see a leak, but it is bothering me as I am worried water may be leaking into the engine?

So far:

1. No overheating. In fact, car runs fairly cool. Even after a long drive I can open radiator cap (after taking safety precautions) and the water doesn't shoot up.
    2. Car exhaust not releasing white smoke or abnormal water vapor.
    3. There are no bubbles in radiator water.

Any ideas what it could be? Please share your thoughts as I am worried. The water is reducing a lot. After I filled reserve over max the radiator water level was OK for a few days. After that I checked after 10 days and filled nearly 2 liters. Very confused.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Try to use some good coolant then see if still reducing.

As water has low boiling point than coolant, so it become vapors soon.
    So it's reducing it's quantity from reservoir bottle. I think so.
    !! DIY in a professional WAY!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yeah that could be it. I bought the car a few months ago and it had NO coolant. I am just checking and noticed coolant is very important. So should I have the radiator and reserve flushed and then replaced with the right coolant mix?

Another thing is that because the coolant is colored, a leak would be more noticeable.

Thanks for your reply. All responses are welcome.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

buy some cheap coolant with bright colour
    where ever its leaking from it would leave coloured stain
    sometimes it leaks from very hot spots, it evaporates before you could spot anything.
    thats how i used to trace leaks on my ex honda
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Pugnate View Post
    Yeah that could be it. I bought the car a few months ago and it had NO coolant. I am just checking and noticed coolant is very important. So should I have the radiator and reserve flushed and then replaced with the right coolant mix?

Another thing is that because the coolant is colored, a leak would be more noticeable.

Thanks for your reply. All responses are welcome.
    Yes, you should gone through flush.
    At least bottle, if it has noticeable rust or corrosion in it then go for system flush.

But radiator flush is not recommended after 40 k, if never had been done earlier on regular bases.

Park car, let radiator fan turn on. Then carefully observe leaking specially where pipes have joints
    This can better be done with coolant by its colorful leaking and it's traces even if you check after your drive.

Water does not leave trace of leaking.
    !! DIY in a professional WAY!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Radiator CAP can be a culprit, same thing happened with my vehicle and somehow never was able to detect a leak. One day, at certain temperature I saw entire coolant flow rushing out from sides of cap at certain temperature, which normally does now shows any sign of leak. Changing that from a genuine one from Honda solved the issue.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

check ur oil stick for oil water mix(better use cheap coolant for a week or 2 before to make sure this milk is not been prepared in ur car)...........

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi! So I filled up the water by 1.5 liter in the space of a day, which was alarming, so I finally went to the mechanic. It took him a few seconds to find the leak. It was a hose pipe under the air filter. There was a small hole there, and he hooked up a new pipe, so it is all good. I am going to check the car this morning and see how the water level is today.

BTW, I added the FUCHS coolant mixture yesterday. The back of the bottle said that it was already mixed, and to not add more water, but the mechanic was scared and insisted I add water instead of buying more of the same coolant.

If the bottle said I don't need to add more water, then it should be OK right? Anyway, the mechanic was scared so I allowed him to add water.

Also, thanks everyone for your help!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by uetian04 View Post

But radiator flush is not recommended after 40 k, if never had been done earlier on regular bases.
    By flush, you mean use citric acid powder or equivalent in a desired concentration, pour in radiator, idle/drive for 30mins, drain out and neutralize and finally fill up with coolant. Would there be any harm doing this for a car driven 40k+ never having a flush in its life and not even having quality coolant ever.
    Please shed some light on this.......

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

FUCHS coolant is a good one but flushing is important to get the rest out. While at it, its a good idea to replace rad cap with a new genuine one. They are cheap and eliminates future issues. Also check all hoses for cracks etc replace as reqd.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AOA.I am very new to this forum.i am facing a problem in my 2008 santro with 42k milage.one month back my car was reducing almost 150ml water on every 40 km drive from radiator.its acceleration had gone poor in first and second gear.but very good in fourth.now it is reducing almost 300 ml water on every 20 km drive and acceleration getting worse day by day.when i add water in radiator on morning lot of bubbles appear and on pressing upon hose pipes the water level goes down and i add more water in it.my radiator fan is direct and dont know about Tstat valve is in or not.the heat guage remains around 30 to 40 percent without ac.there is some milky type cream arround the oil cap area.plz help me all.thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zahidbahi View Post
    AOA.I am very new to this forum.i am facing a problem in my 2008 santro with 42k milage.one month back my car was reducing almost 150ml water on every 40 km drive from radiator.its acceleration had gone poor in first and second gear.but very good in fourth.now it is reducing almost 300 ml water on every 20 km drive and acceleration getting worse day by day.when i add water in radiator on morning lot of bubbles appear and on pressing upon hose pipes the water level goes down and i add more water in it.my radiator fan is direct and dont know about Tstat valve is in or not.the heat guage remains around 30 to 40 percent without ac.there is some milky type cream arround the oil cap area.plz help me all.thanks
    Gasket shot.... Take it to the mechanic and stop driving else it will stop working and you will have to repair the whole engine

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zahidbahi View Post

Gasket blown and may be possible Engine head has been cracked - check silencer also dropping water and Oil stick filled with milky type liquid means mixing oil and water - Don't drive the car and go to the Mechanic.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List