0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default My city is dying. Pls help!!!

I have 2009 A/T City. I was running it on synthetic oil. And it was giving me a *** average of 10km/ltr

Recently I changed the oil to Caltex Havoline (black bottle dont remember the exact variant name 20w-50w something). I got oil and air filters changed as well.

And now my car is not giving more than 8.5 or 8.8 km/ltr.

What seems to be the reason ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

go for zic a+ 5w 20
    using that in my alto and why would u do that to a honda
    Hanjiii Kaa Storeey Eehh !

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aminurrehman View Post
    I have 2009 A/T City. I was running it on synthetic oil. And it was giving me a *** average of 10km/ltr

Recently I changed the oil to Caltex Havoline (black bottle dont remember the exact variant name 20w-50w something). I got oil and air filters changed as well.

And now my car is not giving more than 8.5 or 8.8 km/ltr.

What seems to be the reason ?
    bhai jaan abhi toh apki gari ke khelne ke din thay..bht afsos huwa jan ke that ur car is about to die anyways go to any oilchange wala aif he has that machine that is used to such every drop of old engine oil and then pour the new engine oil buy zic a+ honda city is known for its mileage but ur car is turning into civic

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys what I dont understand is; why you guys are consistently telling me to change the oil ? I got it changed from Honda. They used their own Honda recommended oil in it. I think its Total.

What else could be the problem ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

do the same as afnan bhai has said.
    and use havoline formula.its the best for honda cities
    Just Do It Your Self!!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Get it tuned properly throttle body .spark plugs airfilter every thing serviced

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0200 using PW Forums mobile app
    Past cant be brought back ..but future can be made even better than the Past..if one wants to.. ....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The problem lies at ur transmission. If clutch is slipping the torque made by engine is wasted hence the fuel.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And if the transmission oil is thick it will increase friction.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir i don't know what kind of trouble you're facing.I need to check your vehicle first.
    For more info contact

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Have u sorted out the problem ?

i've recently got city AT 2010 and thou the tuning and plug change wasnt from Honda (which shud've been !) i feel like pick is not that responsive as i want, may b i give too much throttle... but now im thinking to go to Honda service center and get it checked, just for the peace of mind.

u said the engine oil was changed, have the plugs too ? & as someone pointed out, was throttle body cleaned / tuned ? after checking all that, u can narrow down the 'to-dos' ...

Good luck ...
    Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 2 line(s).

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ss_rebel View Post
    Have u sorted out the problem ?

i've recently got city AT 2010 and thou the tuning and plug change wasnt from Honda (which shud've been !) i feel like pick is not that responsive as i want, may b i give too much throttle... but now im thinking to go to Honda service center and get it checked, just for the peace of mind.

u said the engine oil was changed, have the plugs too ? & as someone pointed out, was throttle body cleaned / tuned ? after checking all that, u can narrow down the 'to-dos' ...

Good luck ...
    Get its valve clearances checked to specs if this happened after tune up
    93 Accord CB7 (Sold) / 2005 CL7

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thnx @afnan.bashir, will ask the Honda mechanic to check...

Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 2 line(s).

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ok guys. I figured out the problem;

1. There was no problem in the car
    2. I used to live in Pechs block-2 and my drive to office was around 12kms/one way till Hyperstar everyday
    3. Since the day I moved to an apartment that is right opposite to HyperStar, my drive became 1km/day
    4. Hence due to the short drives and continues ignition on/off my mileage came down from 10kms/ltr to 8kms/ltr
    5. In the whole process I learned two things; a) The actual way to test the mileage of a car (in khi city) is to drive it on a more than 2km open road like Express Way or Phase8 road that connects with Korangi. Make sure to reset the meter before doing it b) ZIC is really the best oil. I had Honda synthetic before but after the engine flush, ZIC oil increased the mileage from 8km/ltr to 8.5km/ltr

Thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aminurrehman View Post
    Ok guys. I figured out the problem;

1. There was no problem in the car
    2. I used to live in Pechs block-2 and my drive to office was around 12kms/one way till Hyperstar everyday
    3. Since the day I moved to an apartment that is right opposite to HyperStar, my drive became 1km/day
    4. Hence due to the short drives and continues ignition on/off my mileage came down from 10kms/ltr to 8kms/ltr
    5. In the whole process I learned two things; a) The actual way to test the mileage of a car (in khi city) is to drive it on a more than 2km open road like Express Way or Phase8 road that connects with Korangi. Make sure to reset the meter before doing it b) ZIC is really the best oil. I had Honda synthetic before but after the engine flush, ZIC oil increased the mileage from 8km/ltr to 8.5km/ltr

Thanks
    So it lived.......damn man I thought as title said car is dying we will get sindhi baryani on its qul

Sent from my HTC One using PW Forums mobile app
    93 Accord CB7 (Sold) / 2005 CL7

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Oil has nothing to do with the engine as much as mentioned by most hillbillys here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rustam54 View Post
    The OEM oil for this vehicle is 5w30 synthetic. The manual may tell you to use a wide range of grades but at max, ppl here go for 10w30.

Why would you opt for such a thick oil as 20w50??

Now go and drain this mistake and refill with Honda OEM oil.

On a side note, I am unclear why this had happened. But apparently, saving couple of bucks seems to be the reason.

For 3.7 Litres,
    20w50 @ ~Rs:1600 (Havoline)
    10w30 @ ~Rs:1900 (Havoline)
    5w30 @ ~Rs:2200 (OEM-Honda by Total)
    5w30 @ Rs:3000 (OEM-Honda by CHevron) New!!

If we take comparison bw 1 & 3, the question comes down to

Would you rather save 600 and risk the engine of a 1.3 Mil Car??

The main difference between the grades of oil mentioned here is that the 5w30 is used in places where the ambient running temperature is below freezing point... the high cost of the oil is because it needs to be at a good viscosity at extremely low temperatures and at high temperatures as well...

In most of Pakistan we do not have extremely low temperature therefore I only use 20w-50 oil... you can use cheapest oil but only use original oil filter even PSO carinet is a good oil.

The problem regarding poor performance in your car in my view might be due to a clogged exhaust/catalytic converter. The grade of fuel used in Pakistan is not upto mark and contains many additives which produce a high level of carbon in the exhaust. This carbon clogs the Catalytic Converter due to which, fuel efficiency is reduced, engine becomes harder to start etc.

I hope this solves your problem
    ~~~~~Riders on the storm~~~~~

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Farzad View Post
    The main difference between the grades of oil mentioned here is that the 5w30 is used in places where the ambient running temperature is below freezing point... the high cost of the oil is because it needs to be at a good viscosity at extremely low temperatures and at high temperatures as well...

In most of Pakistan we do not have extremely low temperature therefore I only use 20w-50 oil... you can use cheapest oil but only use original oil filter even PSO carinet is a good oil.

The problem regarding poor performance in your car in my view might be due to a clogged exhaust/catalytic converter. The grade of fuel used in Pakistan is not upto mark and contains many additives which produce a high level of carbon in the exhaust. This carbon clogs the Catalytic Converter due to which, fuel efficiency is reduced, engine becomes harder to start etc.

I hope this solves your problem
    @ hillbilly

Now thats a title I have never been granted before. Geee. Thanks.

By the way, when you say, you use 20w-50, I couldnt grab the part. Was it a Diesel?? Was it a CG_125, or was it a gasoline with 250'000+ Kms on the ODO??

And it would be much more convenient for me (infact all of us) if you could share the mileage you managed to get out of YOUR City 5th gen?? No other car. Just the city 5th Gen. Because thats whats under discussion here.

Okay, let me return to normalcy. With sincere respect, dont treat my rhetorical questions as too offensive. The 5w30 may at one end suggest that one has to use it in below freezing temperature, it actually reflects alot in the performance of especially these new engines. I am speaking out of experience. Both in terms of mileage and engine responsiveness.

Yes, the old R18 VTEC can manage with 10w30. I have used 10w30 and reverted to 5w30 in this new L13Z and have observed certain difference in mileage. Even the L15 starts to reflect insane pickup with the CVT although the engine noise is a bit more with thiner lube.

Why would you promote cheapest oil with high quality filter. What good is a filter when the OIL breaks down chemically??

And when we point out catalytic converter as a culprit, it would be a good way to first use a vacuum gauge test for clogged converter before swapping the expensive item. Since we dont value its presence much in our region, its easy to mechanics to point it out as choked because they know no ones gooing to replace a 70~80k+ item. Rather break the honeycomb, enjoy the new roaring family sedan and off you go.

I certainly agree to your diagnosis of bad fuel. It can clog fuel filters. But it cannot clog a converter this early in its service life.

Hope that helps.
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

P.S. i would like to point out to an insight I learned from our teacher @Xulfiqar

When I first read his post about using 5w30 in a Cultus with hydraulic tappets, I couldnt grab the idea. Based on my little knowledge back then, I figured, with Suzuki engines in PK in modern times requiring early rebuilds, this would certainly lead to blow by. But on reflecting on the idea, he is right.

The hydraulic tappets require thin oil to function properly. They will start acting up on thick oils gradually. And I have experienced that too.

So my point is: We all learn through experience. At times, text apparently doesn't make sense. But its written for a reason and with a background.
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List