Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Smile Honda City iVTEC hypermiling

AOA Guys,

I'm calling Honda City iVTEC owners and need some tips for Hypermiling. With my driving style I'm getting almost 12km/l in city with AC on. I'm trying my best to follow hypermiling rules, BUT when a Honda mechanic took test drive of my car then he easily achieved upto 17km/l with AC on (in my same car without anything changed). I was like , I asked him how's he is driving? at what RPM should I shift gears? should I go for normal or slow acceleration etc... and he simply replied "bas sir normal driving kar raha hoon (with a wicked smile)"

So calling Honda City owners about some Hypermiling tips to achieve atleast 15+ km/l

JazakAllah!

"May God keep you away from the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger, and the revenge of the Afghans." ~Alexander the Great.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by adnanniazi_2000 View Post
    Actually, I don't want to interfere in your convo with the other guy, but I want to ask a little question that sometimes I hear a bit of knocking in my engine. I have consulted the same with the previous owner, Honda 3S main senior mechanic and a local mechanic as well. Each one is of opinion that add some hi octane and it will be ok, i did the same and it went well. But the problem didn't end as again when I refueled normal supreme petrol, the knocking came back again. What should I do? service fuel filter or what??
    If you were babying your engine than this issue can occur you need to redline you engine in second gear add a bit hioctane before redlining after that you won't here knocking

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    Your argument has no basis in fact; a car that was designed for use with regular fuel won't start knocking on regular fuel (provided everything is in order); using high octane as preventive maintenance is a pointless exercise.

And the words of a CEO, or a company's marketing team, are useless in regards to technical matters. They care about selling you more expensive products, not about the cleanliness of your engine's combustion chambers. This applies to most companies; take Liquimoly for example; if you believed everything their marketing team says, you would think that their oils and additives have descended from heaven itself, like many people on this forum do.

If Shell/ other companies are deliberately nerfing the cleaning additives in their regular products, compared to high octane, that's grounds for a lawsuit.
    At what compression ratio would you say car require hi octane, 10.5:1, 11:1? or do you go by what manufacturer says in the fuel cap or owners manual whether to use regular or hi octane?
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    At what compression ratio would you say car require hi octane, 10.5:1, 11:1? or do you go by what manufacturer says in the fuel cap or owners manual whether to use regular or hi octane?
    Personally I find the manufacturer's recommendation the best; compression ratio is not a reliable indicator of the octane requirement. If the manual says 87 octane, you can bet that it won't knock, even if the compression ratio is 11.1.

For experimentation you can put high octane in your car - hook up a generic OBD2 scanner, drive around a bit (20+ km), and see if you get any ignition timing advance. Also note the fuel economy; it will probably go down with high octane.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Personally I find the manufacturer's recommendation the best; compression ratio is not a reliable indicator of the octane requirement. If the manual says 87 octane, you can bet that it won't knock, even if the compression ratio is 11.1.

For experimentation you can put high octane in your car - hook up a generic OBD2 scanner, drive around a bit (20+ km), and see if you get any ignition timing advance. Also note the fuel economy; it will probably go down with high octane.
    Intresting because my brand new corolla gli does knock on regular and manual says to use regular fuel i havent noted the ignition timing advance though would do so next time but its all to common for new corollas and cvic to knock even though supposdely they only require regular fuel

So either the regular fuel we are getting is below 87 at most pumps or just like there is no truth in that the more the octane the better it is also NOT a universal truth that if car is required to be used on 87 it wont benefit from hi octane or that its simply burning money
    There are too many variables involved

And one cant say that brand new cars have some faults and its pinging because of that
    Thats one variable you can exclude.

btw its not just shell but i can point to many links where companies promise that there hi octane fuel has more cleaning additives and detergents than their regular fuel, Esso in uk for example, and as a law student i can point to many lawsuits filed against esso on other matters but this claim of theirs is not just marketing bloatware. similar for other companies, in meeting Pakistan fuel companies don't make available actual spec sheets but it cannot be said that hi octane in all situations from all companies will never have more cleaning addictive it will.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The fuel consumption display is fairly accurate for practical, real life distances. It's not off by much - if you want to ignore it completely, you might also want to ignore the odometer and speedometer - they are also inaccurate to a similar degree.
    I'm not saying that it's useless. But I just wanted to say that it can be manipulated to show high figures on short stint.
    Almost everyone in Pakistan is doing corruption to the extent they can. Our leaders are doing at the level they can do. So why should we complain?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saboor73 View Post
    If you were babying your engine than this issue can occur you need to redline you engine in second gear add a bit hioctane before redlining after that you won't here knocking
    Thanks for your reply, it wont be an easy task to redline the engine since my car is city 2006 vario, I think it will change its gear ratio automatically, anyhow I went to motorway today, should have checked this thing but reading this message now, it has gone pending now for atleast two weeks, can I redline engine on neutral in my garage for this?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for your reply, it wont be an easy task to redline the engine since my car is city 2006 vario, I think it will change its gear ratio automatically, anyhow I went to motorway today, should have checked this thing but reading this message now, it has gone pending now for atleast two weeks, can I redline engine on neutral in my garage for this?
    I think you would have "S" mode for first Two gears? If you have "S" mode you can put your car on "S" mode and redline it

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Get the fuel pressure checked. The fuel filter needs to be changed every 40k km or so; get it changed if it's time.
    Fuel pressure is I guess OK, coz I am getting good mileage and nice pedal response from the car either it is in D, S or L. But this fuel filter part might be the thing, so should I go to Honda for this or local workshop? Any idea what Honda will charge me for the fuel filter?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No dont redline or rev in netrual ever

to red line there should be L or 1 setting try the lowest setting or simply leave it in D and press acclerator to max becuase its a CVT ot has no gears and would rev to red line amd stay there untill you back of the acclerator
    Typically 0-60 km/h is enough to red line a cvt at full throttle

But if car has been babied all its life its nota good idea to siddenly explore hi rpms
    Hit the throttle till 4-5k couple of times and rest before trying red lining
    Any harsh vibrations or rattling noises then just back off

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    No dont redline or rev in netrual ever

to red line there should be L or 1 setting try the lowest setting or simply leave it in D and press acclerator to max becuase its a CVT ot has no gears and would rev to red line amd stay there untill you back of the acclerator
    Typically 0-60 km/h is enough to red line a cvt at full throttle

But if car has been babied all its life its nota good idea to siddenly explore hi rpms
    Hit the throttle till 4-5k couple of times and rest before trying red lining
    Any harsh vibrations or rattling noises then just back off
    OK OK ... now I got it, thanks for such detailed reply. I don't think it has been babied through out its life, coz twice or thrice atleast I have drove this car to 4 to 5 K rpms, and didn't hear any obnoxious sound. So canal road over here in Fsd will be the safest place, I will update you after this test.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

User Tag List