1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Exclamation HELP: Fuel Filter/Injector Cleaning for Honda City GM1

Hi, I have a Honda City GM1 (2012).

43000 Kms on the Odo Meter. Petrol.
    Periodic Maintenance carried out according to Maintenance Schedule except Fuel Filter replacement and Injector Cleaning (Ultrasonic) which were omitted at the 40,000 Km check up.

Problems: Car gives a lot of lag while accelerating. I understand the DBW lag, but it has increased. In case of rapid acceleration, the car gives jerks and a "missing" can be felt. Top Speed sort of locked on 120~130 KM/H.
    Fuel Mileage dropped from 17-18 kmpl to 8-12 kmpl in same driving conditions. A bit of increase in engine knocking as well.

What help i require form the experts here is to help me diagnose the fault.
    Whether the problems i am facing with my car are due to the aforementioned tasks i missed at the 40,000 Kms Checkup?

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Regards,
    Hassan
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

get the fuel filter changed and ur problem should be solved because fuel flows from the fuel pump into the fuel filter and from there on its passes ahead to the injectors! so before anyone tells u fuel pump ka masla hai have ur fuel filter checked out! if the problem still exists after fuel filter being changed then have the fuel pump checked out!
    and have u had the throttle body serviced?spark plugs changed? and air filter changed?
    and try changing your petrol station and try filling petrol from some other station u might see an improvement in mileage...

and is ur car automatic? if its auto have u had the auto tranny fluid replaced?
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very ruff, mean place, and no matter how tuff you think you are, it will always bring you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.You or nobody ain't never gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. If you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hit."
    - Sylvester Stallone

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I don't have much experience with the City since I own a Civic 8th gen with 55,000Km on the clock. My car's fuel filter was replaced at 40,000km. In the Civic, replacing the filter means that the pump too gets replaced. They are both as one unit. I have to admit that following the replacement, there was a noticeable difference in the pickup. I am guessing the design of both cars may be similar in the fuel filter/pump area i.e. the pump and filter are within the same housing. I will tend to agree with what @aamirq is saying about the filter. Price for Civic pump/filter was 9,000.

Do not mess with the injectors - PLEASE. First do the 40,000 km service. If that doesn't restore your car. The second thing to check will be the catalytic converter if you have one on your car. Ask the Honda people to check to see if it is clogged. On the Civic, converter condition can be seen by looking into the hole after removing the O2 sensor. On my, car at about similar mileage to your car, the converter had become so bad that I was not able to reach 130km/h on the motorway. The converter was removed and the reddish deposits on the converter honeycomb removed (scraped) and blown out with compressed air. Following the converter cleanup, my car's performance is back to near new status.

If all the above things don't return your car back to the original performance, then ask the Honda people to investigate further. IMHO, I believe that doing the 40,000Km service should get your car feeling good.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aamirq View Post
    get the fuel filter changed and ur problem should be solved because fuel flows from the fuel pump into the fuel filter and from there on its passes ahead to the injectors! so before anyone tells u fuel pump ka masla hai have ur fuel filter checked out! if the problem still exists after fuel filter being changed then have the fuel pump checked out!
    and have u had the throttle body serviced?spark plugs changed? and air filter changed?
    and try changing your petrol station and try filling petrol from some other station u might see an improvement in mileage...

and is ur car automatic? if its auto have u had the auto tranny fluid replaced?
    Yes everything on the 40,000kms checklist was done except for fuel filter replacement and injector cleaning. (Although user manual does not talk about injector cleaning anywhere. It was the staff at Honda Fort telling me that they do the cleaning as well.)

I usually get fuel for all my cars from the same pump. No issues in other cars so i'll consider this option eliminated.

And the car is manual. Transmission fluid changed at 40k.

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
    I don't have much experience with the City since I own a Civic 8th gen with 55,000Km on the clock. My car's fuel filter was replaced at 40,000km. In the Civic, replacing the filter means that the pump too gets replaced. They are both as one unit. I have to admit that following the replacement, there was a noticeable difference in the pickup. I am guessing the design of both cars may be similar in the fuel filter/pump area i.e. the pump and filter are within the same housing. I will tend to agree with what @aamirq is saying about the filter. Price for Civic pump/filter was 9,000.

Do not mess with the injectors - PLEASE. First do the 40,000 km service. If that doesn't restore your car. The second thing to check will be the catalytic converter if you have one on your car. Ask the Honda people to check to see if it is clogged. On the Civic, converter condition can be seen by looking into the hole after removing the O2 sensor. On my, car at about similar mileage to your car, the converter had become so bad that I was not able to reach 130km/h on the motorway. The converter was removed and the reddish deposits on the converter honeycomb removed (scraped) and blown out with compressed air. Following the converter cleanup, my car's performance is back to near new status.

If all the above things don't return your car back to the original performance, then ask the Honda people to investigate further. IMHO, I believe that doing the 40,000Km service should get your car feeling
    good.

Yes i guess the fuel supply design would be the same in both cars.
    Talking about the catcon, is there any such thing as catcon cleaning? I heared it can only be replaced.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hassan4772 View Post
    Yes i guess the fuel supply design would be the same in both cars.
    Talking about the catcon, is there any such thing as catcon cleaning? I heared it can only be replaced.

You are right about replacing the converter rather than cleaning it but a new one is 80,000 or 90,000!!. The Honda people cleaned mine (3000 or so) and I am truly satisfied with the result. The other option they have is a replacement converter section of the exhaust where the converter has been removed and a baffle fitted in its place for 6,000. The only down side is that there is a change in the exhaust note.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List