Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default CVT Start Clutch Calibration - The AUTEL Way

ALHAMDULILLAH

I had been looking for a bi-directional scan tool since long and been saving up for it. Finally the much awaited tool arrived yesterday. And I thought of sharing it with fellow members along with posting the first tool application.

The Steermatic battery had completely drained in the past couple of days and the ECU forgot about the CVT start clutch calibration. Sadly this happens everytime if the battery is disconnected or it completely discharges.

So instead of the old "drive upto 60 and decelerate method" suggested in ESM, I thought of putting the tool to some use.

But before I proceed, I must thank the one person who made it possible for me to decide. Without his input, I would have ended up with a wrong choice or some chinese clone.

The one and only, our teacher, our automotive mentor, our guru and our respectful elder brother @Xulfiqar bhai.

Thanks alot Xulfiqar bhai.

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457460

----------------------------------------------------

Okay here we go

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457456

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457457

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457458

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457459

Proof of Product Authenticity (Online Registration)

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457455

Now the Calibration Procedure.

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457461

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457462

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457463

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457464

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457465

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457466

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457468

CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1457469

Question: So whats my point:

The point is: when your CVT starts giving poor idle in D (excessive vibarations), and idles itself all fine in N, you would want to calibrate you r transmission start clutch. Most Honda dealerships and some "gheroo-program" mechanics advise throttle body service, engine/tranny mounting replacements, valve body replacements and what not.

However, its just a couple of steps in procedure to get it back on road hassle free.

Happy CVT driving. Cheers

JazakAllah
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar @afnan.bashir

Okay I understand transmission in civic 99-00 is hydraulic not controlled by ecu. Please tell me solution of two different scenarios:

1. If D4 is blinking, how to check the problem and how to find the faulty code?
    2. If D4 is not glowing, how to check the problem and how to find the faulty code?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the D4 blinking (which cannot happen in your car) is the "check transmission" warning indication light,

If the D4 lamp is not working at all then its bulb is blown or neutral safety switch is out of alignment if its a regular hydraulic transmission, If its electric shift then the D4 lamp is wired from the ECU itself and that circuit also needs to be checked.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    the D4 blinking (which cannot happen in your car) is the "check transmission" warning indication light,

If the D4 lamp is not working at all then its bulb is blown or neutral safety switch is out of alignment if its a regular hydraulic transmission, If its electric shift then the D4 lamp is wired from the ECU itself and that circuit also needs to be checked.
    @Xulfiqar

I read the manual , it is written that if d4 is blinking or it is off, then there is some abnormalities in system and it can be checked by connection obd scanner. What is this written in manual for my car.

Is this statement is very strong contradict with your argument that you told me in previous post?????

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by galant1 View Post
    @Xulfiqar

I read the manual , it is written that if d4 is blinking or it is off, then there is some abnormalities in system and it can be checked by connection obd scanner. What is this written in manual for my car.

Is this statement is very strong contradict with your argument that you told me in previous post?????
    That manual was copied from the international market owner manual. Your car's indication lamps are hard wired from the neutral safety switch directly to the dashboard gauges. The cars with electric shift transmissions have the "D4" or "D" indication wired directly "from" the ECU or TCU - (please note that I write from the ECU)

The neutral safety switch on those cars have the "D4" or "D" switch signal going "to" the ECU or TCU - so when you shift to D the ECU turns on the D4 or D lamp when all is normal.

If it senses a speed problem (input and counter speed error) or lazy shift etc then the D4 or D will start to flash (alarming the driver of transmission being put into limp home mode)

Your car has hydraulic transmission and is devoid of such function.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That manual was copied from the international market owner manual. Your car's indication lamps are hard wired from the neutral safety switch directly to the dashboard gauges. The cars with electric shift transmissions have the "D4" or "D" indication wired directly "from" the ECU or TCU - (please note that I write from the ECU)

The neutral safety switch on those cars have the "D4" or "D" switch signal going "to" the ECU or TCU - so when you shift to D the ECU turns on the D4 or D lamp when all is normal.

If it senses a speed problem (input and counter speed error) or lazy shift etc then the D4 or D will start to flash (alarming the driver of transmission being put into limp home mode)

Your car has hydraulic transmission and is devoid of such function.
    At honda, we they connected their scanner to ecu, when I turning the gear from P, R, n , d4, d3 and 2, these shifting was showing in their live data in pgmfi system. Shifting was shown in the live data. Its means shifting is controlled by ecu because it is showing in ecu live data when shift from p to 2.

Why shifting was showing in ecu live data in pgmfi

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

At honda, we they connected their scanner to ecu, when I turning the gear from P, R, n , d4, d3 and 2, these shifting was showing in their live data in pgmfi system. Shifting was shown in the live data. Its means shifting is controlled by ecu because it is showing in ecu live data when shift from p to 2.

Why shifting was showing in ecu live data in pgmfi

You are misunderstanding the scan tool.

The change of the shifter position is registering the binary switches activity when they are shorted to ground as you move the shifter. Nothing more. If you were to see shift (as in prosmatec civic data) you would see speed sensors input data, shift solenoid activity, lockup activity data etc.

Why do you think that Atlas Honda Motorcars gave you an electric shift automatic transmission equipped 2000 model year civic?

Lets take another point.

you also see engine temperature on the scan dont you? - so does that mean the radiator fan is controlled by the ECU also?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You are misunderstanding the scan tool.

The change of the shifter position is registering the binary switches activity when they are shorted to ground as you move the shifter. Nothing more. If you were to see shift (as in prosmatec civic data) you would see speed sensors input data, shift solenoid activity, lockup activity data etc.

Why do you think that Atlas Honda Motorcars gave you an electric shift automatic transmission equipped 2000 model year civic?

Lets take another point.

you also see engine temperature on the scan dont you? - so does that mean the radiator fan is controlled by the ECU also?
    Yes you are right but I am confusing that why live data showing shifting from p to 2?

Also tell me how auto fan become start to turn on when reaching the specific temperature if it is not controlled by ecu?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes you are right but I am confusing that why live data showing shifting from p to 2?

Also tell me how auto fan become start to turn on when reaching the specific temperature if it is not controlled by ecu?

as I said the live data is showing the binary switches output as the lever moves - each position has a contact switch which shorts to ground. As this car has a K line it can show that bus data too given the correct interrogation.

The radiator fan is switched on by a simple thermoswitch on the thermostat housing - it shorts to ground when the predetermined temperature of "closed" is reach. This activity grounds the fan relay bobbin coil and pulls the contacts to run the fan.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@galant1 there are various types of transmissions. Like yours and Mine there is everything controlled by pressure. Your ECU may just control the TCC Solenoids. Not the Shifting. Post Picture of your transmission so that we can see if your car has the one that came with it
    93 Accord CB7 (Sold) / 2005 CL7

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

as I said the live data is showing the binary switches output as the lever moves - each position has a contact switch which shorts to ground. As this car has a K line it can show that bus data too given the correct interrogation.

The radiator fan is switched on by a simple thermoswitch on the thermostat housing - it shorts to ground when the predetermined temperature of "closed" is reach. This activity grounds the fan relay bobbin coil and pulls the contacts to run the fan.
    yaar what the heck how explains like this man and your these types of replies make me read your whole threads, very bad
    success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by star2 View Post
    yaar what the heck how explains like this man and your these types of replies make me read your whole threads, very bad
    what did I do?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

what did I do?
    In other words, @star2 wants to say is

"You had my curosity, but now you have my attention...................Dammit"
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@rustam54

Can you please enlighten me how's your experience going on with the Autel, and especially what is your view of it working on JDMs? Which cars you have till date tried it on ?
    success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by star2 View Post
    @rustam54

Can you please enlighten me how's your experience going on with the Autel, and especially what is your view of it working on JDMs? Which cars you have till date tried it on ?
    Sir, the experience is going along pretty good.

So far I have had the opportunity of hooking it up to following cars

1. City AT 09: Going into Transmission, DBW and Cluster
    2. City Steermatic: Going into CVT Transmission
    3. City iDSI: Adjusting Idle Mixture Adjustment (From Trimpot)
    4. City iDSI: Vario: Adjusting IDLE TP Value
    5. Toyota Vitz 2012: Transmission Access
    6. Toyota Mark X: For Hobby Purposes
    7. Toyota Gli 2NZ-FE: VVTi Testing ON-OFF, MANUAL CAM PHASE Changes, Manual Fuel Trim Increments/Decrements, Individual Cylinder Disengagement, Individual Cluster Gauge Tests etc etc

Now here is the thing which inclines me more towards Honda's than Toyota's. With a Honda Scan, the diag tool takes about 1 to 3 minutes and fetches everything the vehicle has to offer. ECM/AT/EPS/Electrical/ABS etc

With the Toyota, the tool offers so much more options before it can allow access to full features of the car. Example. you have to select multiple (upto 4-5 options) for a JDM car. e.g. Select Region (US,UK,JDM,Other) Select Yaris, Then Select 1KR-FE (out of other options), Then Select Frame Type, Then Select Production Year, Then With or Without Push Start, Then with or Without Smart Key etc etc etc

If you dont select the right fields, especially in Region, frame numbers or production year, some of the options which are available in the car wont be visible. However, with the Toyota's (JDMs or Local), the startup is pretty fast.

Like i usually say, I am still getting familiar with it. I hope this answers your question

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rustam54 View Post

7. Toyota Gli 2NZ-FE: VVTi Testing ON-OFF, MANUAL CAM PHASE Changes, Manual Fuel Trim Increments/Decrements, Individual Cylinder Disengagement, Individual Cluster Gauge Tests etc etc

Now here is the thing which inclines me more towards Honda's than Toyota's. With a Honda Scan, the diag tool takes about 1 to 3 minutes and fetches everything the vehicle has to offer. ECM/AT/EPS/Electrical/ABS etc

With the Toyota, the tool offers so much more options before it can allow access to full features of the car. Example. you have to select multiple (upto 4-5 options) for a JDM car. e.g. Select Region (US,UK,JDM,Other) Select Yaris, Then Select 1KR-FE (out of other options), Then Select Frame Type, Then Select Production Year, Then With or Without Push Start, Then with or Without Smart Key etc etc etc

If you dont select the right fields, especially in Region, frame numbers or production year, some of the options which are available in the car wont be visible. However, with the Toyota's (JDMs or Local), the startup is pretty fast.

Like i usually say, I am still getting familiar with it. I hope this answers your question
    Yeah you cleared it well brother. it is a viable option for me after your reply. I mostly work on Nissans and would tend to do so in future as well. Anyhow, it is not end of the world i think buying a scanner, mostly professionals i have seen with multiple of them, i was just eyeing for my 1st best purchase that could cover me up for most of the vehicles here in PK. anyways, thanks for your support. If you don't mind, just pm your number, i might call u up and we can have a talk, if you get free five min.

Regards.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rustam54 View Post

thats the silly toieta crap I hate - I mean what the heck....

then OTOH you connect Subaru and its a whole new game altogether, funky stuff going on. German cars specially MB are still a bit crazy - some of their lower level SRS error codes pop up in german.. or their transmission error codes require a simple calculation on paper like subtract 80 from counting and add alphabet "fallana fallana" then find code - RIGHT.............. Im trying to fix a transmission not play pirates of the carribean here.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Salams.
    I like it, the equipment, but in specific your approach towards life.
    If you do not know what your car is doing then your car is just a piece of engineering. for transport purpose
    If you exactly know your car like the gut feeling , it is a living thinking talking listening and a loving creature and a partner. sharing your happiness sadness and stress. that is what I found being in a very close relation to the vehicles I have driven Specifically Freight liner Olympia & PetrBuilt for over 500K miles coast to coast. It was my luxury apartment on the road.
    I am impressed and pleased to know that there exists a mindset having a quest into depths.
    Past few days I was searching for some one who knows his art in analysis and diagnostics of Toyota Vitz , finally I was refereed to , but that guy was just a code removing kinda guy , and had no clue what so ever about parameters , so he made me go home with a nasty grin on my face.
    Your presentation has given me an incite.
    Do you have any program to extend your knowledge as a paid service , If not then guide me to a place where people know what they are doing.
    God Bless
    This is my dream vehicle that I lived in for over 5 years. driving 600 miles a day 24 days a month Living in the wilderness on the road state to state from deserts to ocean and from ocean to mountains.

.CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1596759

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Point of No return

Zulfikar.

Some are born with a quest , they neither can return nor they have any wish to go back on the surface. They stay at the base of the ocean watching how the perls grow, and how the coral state transforms into gems.
    I think you are also in the same CAT.
    stay blessed.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by just_a_legend View Post
    Salams.
    I like it, the equipment, but in specific your approach towards life.
    If you do not know what your car is doing then your car is just a piece of engineering. for transport purpose
    If you exactly know your car like the gut feeling , it is a living thinking talking listening and a loving creature and a partner. sharing your happiness sadness and stress. that is what I found being in a very close relation to the vehicles I have driven Specifically Freight liner Olympia & PetrBuilt for over 500K miles coast to coast. It was my luxury apartment on the road.
    I am impressed and pleased to know that there exists a mindset having a quest into depths.
    Past few days I was searching for some one who knows his art in analysis and diagnostics of Toyota Vitz , finally I was refereed to , but that guy was just a code removing kinda guy , and had no clue what so ever about parameters , so he made me go home with a nasty grin on my face.
    Your presentation has given me an incite.
    Do you have any program to extend your knowledge as a paid service , If not then guide me to a place where people know what they are doing.
    God Bless
    This is my dream vehicle that I lived in for over 5 years. driving 600 miles a day 24 days a month Living in the wilderness on the road state to state from deserts to ocean and from ocean to mountains.

.CVT Start Clutch Calibration  The AUTEL Way -1596759
    Sir how hard is it to drive a truck with trailer attached ? Driving a vitz after peterbuilt would be peanuts

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sorry for such a late reply
    Peter Built was easier my friend as my environment was interstates of US. Every one knows what to do.
    Vitz I drive in Lahore . So you can make up the rest, how ever it has wonderful breaking system and is as good as Peter built .
    When I remember my Trucking time I rock

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

User Tag List