Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By greenforce

Thread: Honda City Vario 2008 transmission problems (speed sensor malfunction)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Exclamation Honda City Vario 2008 transmission problems (speed sensor malfunction)

Hi Guys,

I have a Honda City 2008 Automatic(iDSI Vario).
    Mileage = 91k

Few Days back it developed a problem when the car wont move forward in "D" or "L" or "S" after i stopped in my office parking. Strangely "R" (reverse) worked. The car was perfectly fine and no major engine tuneups before.

I tried multiple times shifting the gears but still no moving forward in Drive mode. With No other options, I left the car there and next morning sparked it and worked just fine.

I took to Honda Shop and they found the following in diagnostics:
    "34-01 CVT I/P SHAFT(DRIVE PULLEY) SPEED SENSOR MALFUNCTION".

They cleaned the sensor but still the same problem, Again i had to leave the car at the workshop and next morning they tightened the grips of the circuit and it apparently fixed the problem but only till driving home where it wont move again after shifting to it to "N" and back to "D" or shift to "R" and back.

"D" is sometimes blinking as well.
    While in nor forward situation(While in "D" ) rpm goes high with race as normal.

HAS anyone experienced similar problems before? and fix?

Suggestions are needed urgently.

BR,
    Tayyab

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Aoa tsiddique i think its transmission fault or something
    you should ask zulfixar bhai
    or Vicky 0300-2761044
    Ad.khan
    adeel.khan45@yahoo.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi Adeel,

Thanks. Car is in Islamabad though . i have dropped a message... lets see

Cheers!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

check the signal of the input shaft sensor on a scope - a good auto repair shop can test it - takes a few minutes to hook up. - They are hall effect sensors.
    If the ECU does not register a speed signal - it wont let the start clutch to apply.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi Xulfiqar,

Thanks for the Reply,

They connected diagnostics again and no DTC for input shaft sensor when the car was not moving.

My Mechanic changed the sensor and still no moving forward...

Interesting thing is, it only happens when it runs for 20 or so km.. on any morning it will just run fine unless u drive like 15-20 km ..even then it will be fine as long as you are not switching the gear.. but as soon as you shift from drive to any other gear(R,N,L,S)..and back to drive..it wont move. .................Keep it resting for 5,6 hours and spark again and it will be just fine.

yesterday the gear was opened and a number of things were pointed..(loose belt{connecting drive\driven Pulley and apparently hard valve body ).. to cut short.. they recommended a kabli gear....

Although I am not convinced that those were the problems...or maybe they just couldn't find the problem..

Lets see.. Meanwhile have you experienced such a problem in any CVT gear City?

BR,
    Tayyab

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi tsiddique
    sure lets see i think you stucked badly in your car
    mechanics will ruin your car,i give you his contact number
    i hope he will guide you wel u talked him or not
    its serious problem
    Ad.khan
    adeel.khan45@yahoo.com

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda City Vario AT 2005 almost similar problem

Asalamoalaikum Everyone,

I went through the entire thread more or less my car recently is having a similar problem.

I have Honda City Vario AT 2005.

When you start the car up in the morning , the D is blinking and apart from R , no other gear e.g. S or L or D works . I have to wait for 5-10 mins and then the car starts to drive in D . And it has a weird sound as well , like releasing of air from a high pressure vessel.

Then again when the car is switched off , depending on the duration for which the car remained switched off , it starts to drive in D normally , however if the duration is more than an hour , then again the D light is blinking and it does not drives straight away. I have to wait again for 5-10 mins. Meanwhile , during the drive I don't experience any problem in shifting between gears.

I went to Honda Center and they diagnosed three sensors malfunction and they need to be replaced . ( Unfortunately , I forgot to note down the exact names and the error codes )

I went to another mechanic ( for second opinion) and he told me that there is some sort of " kachra" in the transmission plate and if I get it cleaned , there wont be a problem anymore.

I had my gear oil replaced on 3rd September so I dont think that there is anything related to gear oil .

It is indeed very perplexing situation as in this thread , already I believe Tayyab has tried the sensor replacement. I want to first ascertain that what is the exact problem and then go with the recommended repairs.

tons of thanks in advance. Everyone's help will be appreciated .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Aoa greenforce
    you should ask zulfixar bhai
    or Vicky 0300-2761044

Quote Originally Posted by greenforce View Post
    Asalamoalaikum Everyone,

I went through the entire thread more or less my car recently is having a similar problem.

I have Honda City Vario AT 2005.

When you start the car up in the morning , the D is blinking and apart from R , no other gear e.g. S or L or D works . I have to wait for 5-10 mins and then the car starts to drive in D . And it has a weird sound as well , like releasing of air from a high pressure vessel.

Then again when the car is switched off , depending on the duration for which the car remained switched off , it starts to drive in D normally , however if the duration is more than an hour , then again the D light is blinking and it does not drives straight away. I have to wait again for 5-10 mins. Meanwhile , during the drive I don't experience any problem in shifting between gears.

I went to Honda Center and they diagnosed three sensors malfunction and they need to be replaced . ( Unfortunately , I forgot to note down the exact names and the error codes )

I went to another mechanic ( for second opinion) and he told me that there is some sort of " kachra" in the transmission plate and if I get it cleaned , there wont be a problem anymore.

I had my gear oil replaced on 3rd September so I dont think that there is anything related to gear oil .

It is indeed very perplexing situation as in this thread , already I believe Tayyab has tried the sensor replacement. I want to first ascertain that what is the exact problem and then go with the recommended repairs.

tons of thanks in advance. Everyone's help will be appreciated .
    Ad.khan
    adeel.khan45@yahoo.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My mechanic changed the whole gear with a kabli one... and apparently its fixed.... the curiosity Remains...
    @greenforce... u are lucky that time of D blinking was only 10 mins, for me it required like atleast an hour..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar bhai.. Apparently.. even the official mechanics of Honda were not skilled\interested enough to connect probes and checking ECU signals and all

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tsiddique View Post
    @Xulfiqar bhai.. Apparently.. even the official mechanics of Honda were not skilled\interested enough to connect probes and checking ECU signals and all
    thats sad

the DTC is only to flag a big error - you need to test the signals coming out of the sensor to determine if the failure is actually happening from the sensor.

I had to repair a E430 MB which would go into limp mode due to no rhyme or reason, the only correct diagnosis was when I connected a scope and drove the car with it connected, once done I checked the plotted lines and found the stupid fault - the output shaft would miss one pulse sometimes and cause the transmission to misbehave as the transmission is very closely monitored to see when a shift starts and when it completes.

I had to replace the electrics plate after that - and the funny part was that the plate was changed a few months ago - the owner got a warranty replacement due to this fault.

dont tell me that the Honda techs dont know how to test hall effect sensor output or plot it on their diagnosis tools.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi Xulfiqar,

Thanks for the Reply,

They connected diagnostics again and no DTC for input shaft sensor when the car was not moving.

My Mechanic changed the sensor and still no moving forward...

Interesting thing is, it only happens when it runs for 20 or so km.. on any morning it will just run fine unless u drive like 15-20 km ..even then it will be fine as long as you are not switching the gear.. but as soon as you shift from drive to any other gear(R,N,L,S)..and back to drive..it wont move. .................Keep it resting for 5,6 hours and spark again and it will be just fine.

yesterday the gear was opened and a number of things were pointed..(loose belt{connecting drive\driven Pulley and apparently hard valve body ).. to cut short.. they recommended a kabli gear....

Although I am not convinced that those were the problems...or maybe they just couldn't find the problem..

Lets see.. Meanwhile have you experienced such a problem in any CVT gear City?

BR,
    Tayyab

let me tell you what i consider the Honda CVT to be - its a mistake

I have seen a brand new city refuse to move forward, it had a stuck start clutch, you can try calibrating it and retesting. (usual cause of failure is bad CVTF) or clogged solenoid screens on the valve body (very common) - the steel belt sends tiny particles and the trans cannot be cleaned out (no sump)

other failures ranged from bad speed sensors to damaged drive plates to completely broken variator assemblies.

You need to test the speed sensor output signals, also make sure the external valve body is not bad (the solenoids on top can clog or stick) - stuck or sticky solenoid is caused by debris getting in the working cylinder of the solenoid.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

umm - mods - can you remove this weird picture

I know the CVT is dog doo - but this is hilarious

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well..time will tell how the kabli gear will continue to work. I hope it does.

Just to mention,,, before the gear was opened, the DTC stopped giving any errors and it still was not moving forward after a long run..

The new ALTIS is also a type of CVT right?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well..time will tell how the kabli gear will continue to work. I hope it does.

Just to mention,,, before the gear was opened, the DTC stopped giving any errors and it still was not moving forward after a long run..

The new ALTIS is also a type of CVT right?
    how is kabli gear going"
    FaiZan..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi Guys,

I have a Honda City 2008 Automatic(iDSI Vario).
    Mileage = 91k

Few Days back it developed a problem when the car wont move forward in "D" or "L" or "S" after i stopped in my office parking. Strangely "R" (reverse) worked. The car was perfectly fine and no major engine tuneups before.

I tried multiple times shifting the gears but still no moving forward in Drive mode. With No other options, I left the car there and next morning sparked it and worked just fine.

I took to Honda Shop and they found the following in diagnostics:
    "34-01 CVT I/P SHAFT(DRIVE PULLEY) SPEED SENSOR MALFUNCTION".

They cleaned the sensor but still the same problem, Again i had to leave the car at the workshop and next morning they tightened the grips of the circuit and it apparently fixed the problem but only till driving home where it wont move again after shifting to it to "N" and back to "D" or shift to "R" and back.

"D" is sometimes blinking as well.
    While in nor forward situation(While in "D" ) rpm goes high with race as normal.

HAS anyone experienced similar problems before? and fix?

Suggestions are needed urgently.

BR,
    Tayyab
    Did you replace the sensor or not
    Automotive Technician
    MALIK & ASSOCIATES AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR CENTRE

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Xulfiqar Bhai hope you are fine. Please I need guidance regarding my Honda FitAria 1.5 IDSI model 2006 issue, in past about 4 months ago i completely changed my CVT transmission so right now i am facing a problem when i move gaer to D it starts moving arter 5 seconds.

May be my problem is small but i cannot find any experienced mechanic in Lahore and replacement time Honda CVTF Fluid was filed and also tell me also good CVT Fluid.My car picup is ok no vibration felt while driving engine is 95% ok. Please answer me.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default need guidance regarding my Honda FitAria 1.5 IDSI

Xulfiqar Bhai hope you are fine. Please I need guidance regarding my Honda FitAria 1.5 IDSI model 2006 issue, in past about 4 months ago i completely changed my CVT transmission so right now i am facing a problem when i move gaer to D it starts moving arter 5 seconds.

May be my problem is small but i cannot find any experienced mechanic in Lahore and replacement time Honda CVTF Fluid was filed and also tell me also good CVT Fluid.My car picup is ok no vibration felt while driving engine is 95% ok. Please answer me.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List