Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Honda CITY 2011, which oil to go for, is Shell HX7 5W-30 fine? (1.3, L13Z1)

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    anj3m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Age
    24
    Posts
    260
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Honda CITY 2011, which oil to go for, is Shell HX7 5W-30 fine? (1.3, L13Z1)

    Just a quick question from any owner who has used these before - sorry if there's already a thread for this.

    I personally wanted to go for a (fully synthetic) 5W-40 oil to give a wide range of tolerances.

    But will 5W-30 be fine, too?
    And just to make sure, i'd need ~3.5L, right? (A 4L can?)
    (Forgotten because i don't get it changed myself)

    Thank you for any prompt answers!!!
    Hometown: Huddersfield, UK | Current: Faisalabad, PK
    Who ever said Doctors had a drab taste in cars?

  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    hassaaniqbal92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    870
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Hx7 is perfectly fine. It is a semi synthetic oil. If u wish to go for fully synthetic in 5w30, u may opt for total quartz 9000 or genuine honda oil. Ur car needs 3.7 litres

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    anj3m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Age
    24
    Posts
    260
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hassaaniqbal92 View Post
    Hx7 is perfectly fine. It is a semi synthetic oil. If u wish to go for fully synthetic in 5w30, u may opt for total quartz 9000 or genuine honda oil. Ur car needs 3.7 litres

    Thanks for the quick reply!

    Any recommendations for fully synthetic Shell oils? (I don't use honda)
    Hometown: Huddersfield, UK | Current: Faisalabad, PK
    Who ever said Doctors had a drab taste in cars?

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    anj3m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Age
    24
    Posts
    260
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Castrol as well (if available locally) ?
    Hometown: Huddersfield, UK | Current: Faisalabad, PK
    Who ever said Doctors had a drab taste in cars?

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    hassaaniqbal92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    870
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anj3m View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply!

    Any recommendations for fully synthetic Shell oils? (I don't use honda)
    Shell fully synthetic is 5w40. A very good oil indeed. But if u want to opt for 5w30 fully synthetic then total quartz 9000 is the choice. Btw honda oils are also blended by total

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    anj3m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Age
    24
    Posts
    260
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    5W-40 is probably better i think since engines can get really hot in the height of summer. Any idea of price of 4L, around 3k?
    Hometown: Huddersfield, UK | Current: Faisalabad, PK
    Who ever said Doctors had a drab taste in cars?

  7. #7
    PakWheeler Follow
    eagleeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    240
    Follows
    0
    Following
    4
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Brother, go for Mobil1 5W50, or Liquimoly 5W40..... these are great oils..

  8. #8
    PakWheeler Follow
    eagleeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    240
    Follows
    0
    Following
    4
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Mobil1 5W50 is around 5200 for 4L, drain interval 8 to 10 k
    Liquimoly 5W40 is 4900 for 4L,, drain interval 7 to 8 k

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    ZainMahdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    22
    Posts
    928
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Please read the owners manual and look at the oil chart.

    Change the oil at at least the severe service schedule; anything lower is a waste of money.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    anj3m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Age
    24
    Posts
    260
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eagleeyez View Post
    Mobil1 5W50 is around 5200 for 4L, drain interval 8 to 10 k
    Liquimoly 5W40 is 4900 for 4L,, drain interval 7 to 8 k
    5w-40 is max for me i think (car gets driven only to college and back + short-haul luxuries, go to LHR once every month or 2).

    4900, theek, any idea for shell ultra fs equivalent price?
    Hometown: Huddersfield, UK | Current: Faisalabad, PK
    Who ever said Doctors had a drab taste in cars?

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    anj3m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Age
    24
    Posts
    260
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    Please read the owners manual and look at the oil chart.

    Change the oil at at least the severe service schedule; anything lower is a waste of money.

    Manual is lost hence why I'm wondering which weights will be best. I don't change too often either since the engine on my car rarely reaches very high temperatures and so the oil doesn't take too much a battering!
    Hometown: Huddersfield, UK | Current: Faisalabad, PK
    Who ever said Doctors had a drab taste in cars?

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    arzaam.bhatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,469
    Follows
    6
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    although the temp chart of oil in the owners manual of the car indicates that even 5W-30 would be fine in height of summers, but i also prefer 5W-40, and shell is among the best, despite using mobil 1 4 out 5 cars in my home i think its over kill for your car, if you want to have a fancy brand for the sake of it get Repsol Elite Competition 5W-40 API SN, this oil has more approvals than liqui moly including Porsche A40 and is not as expensive as overpriced liqui moly.
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

  13. #13
    PakWheeler Follow
    anj3m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Age
    24
    Posts
    260
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    although the temp chart of oil in the owners manual of the car indicates that even 5W-30 would be fine in height of summers, but i also prefer 5W-40, and shell is among the best, despite using mobil 1 4 out 5 cars in my home i think its over kill for your car, if you want to have a fancy brand for the sake of it get Repsol Elite Competition 5W-40 API SN, this oil has more approvals than liqui moly including Porsche A40 and is not as expensive as overpriced liqui moly.

    Approvals are what matter! I usually try to check the MB and VW 50x ratings (as we have these cars in the UK)

    Another concern is the availability of such oils (i live in Fsd!) and also the legitimacy of them! How much could i pick up the Repsol formula for and where from? I've not seen it in a single shop 'til this day in my neck of the woods!

    Yep, i just like to use a higher end oil because its not a frequent cost to bear so it doesn't hurt to spend a little extra
    Hometown: Huddersfield, UK | Current: Faisalabad, PK
    Who ever said Doctors had a drab taste in cars?

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    ZainMahdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    22
    Posts
    928
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anj3m View Post
    Manual is lost hence why I'm wondering which weights will be best. I don't change too often either since the engine on my car rarely reaches very high temperatures and so the oil doesn't take too much a battering!
    For reference, the 7th gen Civic takes 0w-20 even above 40*C. If the engine is specced for it, the car will run brilliantly; better power and fuel economy.

    HX-7 5w-30 would be fine.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

  15. #15
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    arzaam.bhatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,469
    Follows
    6
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anj3m View Post
    Approvals are what matter! I usually try to check the MB and VW 50x ratings (as we have these cars in the UK)

    Another concern is the availability of such oils (i live in Fsd!) and also the legitimacy of them! How much could i pick up the Repsol formula for and where from? I've not seen it in a single shop 'til this day in my neck of the woods!

    Yep, i just like to use a higher end oil because its not a frequent cost to bear so it doesn't hurt to spend a little extra
    i got Repsol from Mobil 1 lahore in DHA, you can ask repsol pakistan on the phone no on their website if they have any authorised dealers in faislabad, i am guessing they wont, as currently they are in karachi and lahore.

    if you want to spend on approvals then go for Mobil 1 0W-40 which is a better viscosity for you city then the too thick 5W-50. although not needed but mobil 1 0W-40 has approval of Nissan GTR as well as porsche VW etc. in faislabad mercedes shahnawaz parts store would defintely have the oil, or you can check from shops, make sure to read the manufacturing date and also whether its API SN, as i also saw some really old stock at filter house lahore as well which was API SM and old packing.

    whether you need it for a city is your call.
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

  16. #16
    PakWheeler Follow
    hassaaniqbal92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    870
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anj3m View Post
    5W-40 is probably better i think since engines can get really hot in the height of summer. Any idea of price of 4L, around 3k?
    Shell helix ultra is 3800
    Zic xq is 3800
    Caltex havoline fully synthetic is 3200
    All are 5w40

  17. #17
    PakWheeler Follow
    anj3m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Age
    24
    Posts
    260
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    For reference, the 7th gen Civic takes 0w-20 even above 40*C. If the engine is specced for it, the car will run brilliantly; better power and fuel economy.

    HX-7 5w-30 would be fine.
    Is 5W still fine for an engine that has relatively higher mileage? (Mostly motorway)



    Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    i got Repsol from Mobil 1 lahore in DHA, you can ask repsol pakistan on the phone no on their website if they have any authorised dealers in faislabad, i am guessing they wont, as currently they are in karachi and lahore.

    if you want to spend on approvals then go for Mobil 1 0W-40 which is a better viscosity for you city then the too thick 5W-50. although not needed but mobil 1 0W-40 has approval of Nissan GTR as well as porsche VW etc. in faislabad mercedes shahnawaz parts store would defintely have the oil, or you can check from shops, make sure to read the manufacturing date and also whether its API SN, as i also saw some really old stock at filter house lahore as well which was API SM and old packing.

    whether you need it for a city is your call.
    The matter of need usually comes second to want most of the things we buy for our (especially local cars) are overkill anyway haha. I don't think i'll be going that far. I'll try to find that repsol formula otherwise go for 5W-30/40 shell ultra - should be more than sufficient!



    Quote Originally Posted by hassaaniqbal92 View Post
    Shell helix ultra is 3800
    Zic xq is 3800
    Caltex havoline fully synthetic is 3200
    All are 5w40
    That's a good price for the shell. The problem for me now is whether to go too thin or not since my engine has done over 80k!
    Hometown: Huddersfield, UK | Current: Faisalabad, PK
    Who ever said Doctors had a drab taste in cars?

  18. #18
    PakWheeler Follow
    ZainMahdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    22
    Posts
    928
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anj3m View Post
    Is 5W still fine for an engine that has relatively higher mileage? (Mostly motorway)
    5w represents its flow at cold starts - the lower the number, the better. At operating temperature, there is no difference between a 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, or even 20w-30.

    If your car is mostly driven on the motorway, you should consider following the normal service schedule. 16k km (or 1 year) should be no problem with a fully synthetic.

    Quote Originally Posted by anj3m View Post
    The problem for me now is whether to go too thin or not since my engine has done over 80k!
    The owner's manual makes absolutely no mention of changing the viscocity at this mileage or that mileage - this is just one of the motor oil myths that are common on these forums.

    Don't worry about 80k, thats just the break in period for Hondas Honda CITY 2011, which oil to go for, is Shell HX7 5W-30 fine? (1.3, L13Z1) - biggrin. My dad's 03 VTi is travelling fast towards 280k, and it still runs like a champ. Look at my signature.

    Xulfiqar uses Mobil 1 0w-40 in his 280k driven Mercedes with 24k km change intervals - that is in Houston's weather, which is apparently as hot and humid as any southern Pakistani city.

    xcel of cleanmpg uses 0w-20 in his 250k+ km driven Honda Accord '05 - all year round in Minnesota.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

  19. #19
    PakWheeler Follow
    anj3m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Age
    24
    Posts
    260
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    5w represents its flow at cold starts - the lower the number, the better. At operating temperature, there is no difference between a 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, or even 20w-30.

    If your car is mostly driven on the motorway, you should consider following the normal service schedule. 16k km (or 1 year) should be no problem with a fully synthetic.



    The owner's manual makes absolutely no mention of changing the viscocity at this mileage or that mileage - this is just one of the motor oil myths that are common on these forums.

    Don't worry about 80k, thats just the break in period for Hondas Honda CITY 2011, which oil to go for, is Shell HX7 5W-30 fine? (1.3, L13Z1) - biggrin. My dad's 03 VTi is travelling fast towards 280k, and it still runs like a champ. Look at my signature.

    Xulfiqar uses Mobil 1 0w-40 in his 280k driven Mercedes with 24k km change intervals - that is in Houston's weather, which is apparently as hot and humid as any southern Pakistani city.

    xcel of cleanmpg uses 0w-20 in his 250k+ km driven Honda Accord '05 - all year round in Minnesota.

    Yeah, I don't usually change it too often. I'm used to seeing cars go at least 8000 MILES before changing oil in England, but then again i also hear very often that the oils in Pk aren't as good as those used internationally. So its not hard to believe that Xulfiqar changes after 24k km!

    I think I'm being a bit too weary of something that shouldn't be overcomplicated anyway.


    So Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 it is?! Or maybe a 40 then... haha...
    Hometown: Huddersfield, UK | Current: Faisalabad, PK
    Who ever said Doctors had a drab taste in cars?

  20. #20
    PakWheeler Follow
    ZainMahdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    22
    Posts
    928
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anj3m View Post
    Yeah, I don't usually change it too often. I'm used to seeing cars go at least 8000 MILES before changing oil in England, but then again i also hear very often that the oils in Pk aren't as good as those used internationally. So its not hard to believe that Xulfiqar changes after 24k km!

    I think I'm being a bit too weary of something that shouldn't be overcomplicated anyway.


    So Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 it is?! Or maybe a 40 then... haha...
    Helix Ultra 5w-30. If you can't find it, Caltex Havoline 5w-30 and Total Quartz 5w-30 are just as good.
    If you get the oil from an authorised dealer or petrol station, you don't have to worry about fake oils; they are just as good as those found internationally.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •