Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Honda CITY 2011, which oil to go for, is Shell HX7 5W-30 fine? (1.3, L13Z1)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda CITY 2011, which oil to go for, is Shell HX7 5W-30 fine? (1.3, L13Z1)

Just a quick question from any owner who has used these before - sorry if there's already a thread for this.

I personally wanted to go for a (fully synthetic) 5W-40 oil to give a wide range of tolerances.

But will 5W-30 be fine, too?
    And just to make sure, i'd need ~3.5L, right? (A 4L can?)
    (Forgotten because i don't get it changed myself)

Thank you for any prompt answers!!!
    Hometown: Huddersfield, UK | Current: Faisalabad, PK
    Who ever said Doctors had a drab taste in cars?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by anj3m View Post
    Right, its done.

Ultra 5w-40 it was! Bought for exactly 3660 as per price list from shell pump. Note that it only says 'gasoline engines' and not 'gasoline and cng engines'

Question: where can i find the mfg date on the can? The back side is empty.

Honda CITY 2011 which oil to go for is Shell HX7 5W30 fine? 13 L13Z1 -1551051
    excellent choice, i dont know if locally blended oils include manufacturing dates, but if you bought from a company operated pump then its bound to be fresh especially as its produced here.
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    excellent choice, i dont know if locally blended oils include manufacturing dates, but if you bought from a company operated pump then its bound to be fresh especially as its produced here.
    Ah, so this too is made locally? :/

Could i still expect the quality to be on par with the Helix Ultra thats used internationally?

Thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ah, so this too is made locally? :/

Could i still expect the quality to be on par with the Helix Ultra thats used internationally?

Thanks
    yes but it has passed the same certification of API SN and if being made by such a big company shell even here it should be good as those internationally, the only issue happens if you buy a fake product or repackaged product, otherwise totally fine.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes but it has passed the same certification of API SN and if being made by such a big company shell even here it should be good as those internationally, the only issue happens if you buy a fake product or repackaged product, otherwise totally fine.
    Oh yeah, that's comfort me a bit, i doubt a company as big as Shell would falsely write 'API SN/CF' on the packaging. Bought from a pump for the exact same rate as the price-list so i really hope that's its the real deal.

Got it changed today as well as other small adjustments to the car. The dude was saying that its not worth buying high end expensive oils in a country like this since all oils could possibly be affected the same way by the dusty environment and that i should insitead change more regularly. I do understand where he's coming from tbh

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Oh yeah, that's comfort me a bit, i doubt a company as big as Shell would falsely write 'API SN/CF' on the packaging. Bought from a pump for the exact same rate as the price-list so i really hope that's its the real deal.

Got it changed today as well as other small adjustments to the car. The dude was saying that its not worth buying high end expensive oils in a country like this since all oils could possibly be affected the same way by the dusty environment and that i should insitead change more regularly. I do understand where he's coming from tbh
    the dusty environment argument is old, your car has a airlifter, its there for a purpose not for show it'll take care of the dust, using oem air filter would be better and it can be used till 10,000km or 8000km if you are following long drain interval.

according to these dusty environment suggesting gurus i wonder what they say about cars in middle east, dubai, africa etc where theres a lot more dust and lot more heat, even in some states in america they have lots of heat and dust they must change their oil at every fuel fillup??? no instead they use even longer intervals because dust doesnt say much, you can follow the severe conditions in owners manual which includes dust but mostly stop start low speed driving and use that drain interval, a fully synthetic has more purposes than just long drain intervals, engine cleaniliness is one of them.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The dudes at the Shell pump near my home were surprised when I told them about using diesel oils in a petrol engine.

I was asking the prices of the diesel oils - the attendent noticed my Cultus and told me it was useless for me. I showed him the API SL (for petrol) rating on the back; he was simply blank and looked confusedly at me. These attendents don't know about ratings, technical specs, and drain intervals - they just know the name and price.

BTW, oil companies can not specify drain intervals - only the manufacterer can do that.

Just use a good oil filter - dust should not be an issue. As for the drain interval, you know your driving conditions better than a dude at a pump.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the dusty environment argument is old, your car has a airlifter, its there for a purpose not for show it'll take care of the dust, using oem air filter would be better and it can be used till 10,000km or 8000km if you are following long drain interval.

according to these dusty environment suggesting gurus i wonder what they say about cars in middle east, dubai, africa etc where theres a lot more dust and lot more heat, even in some states in america they have lots of heat and dust they must change their oil at every fuel fillup??? no instead they use even longer intervals because dust doesnt say much, you can follow the severe conditions in owners manual which includes dust but mostly stop start low speed driving and use that drain interval, a fully synthetic has more purposes than just long drain intervals, engine cleaniliness is one of them.

I've been thinking about this, too. Surely countries surrounded by desert would be in for a tougher time than us? Lets just see how long this lasts me. This oil change was made after a long interval and the car's engine is still fine.

I'm using a genuine honda air filter (Rs. 1680) which i just put in yesterday

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    The dudes at the Shell pump near my home were surprised when I told them about using diesel oils in a petrol engine.

I was asking the prices of the diesel oils - the attendent noticed my Cultus and told me it was useless for me. I showed him the API SL (for petrol) rating on the back; he was simply blank and looked confusedly at me. These attendents don't know about ratings, technical specs, and drain intervals - they just know the name and price.

BTW, oil companies can not specify drain intervals - only the manufacterer can do that.

Just use a good oil filter - dust should not be an issue. As for the drain interval, you know your driving conditions better than a dude at a pump.

It wasn't a guy from the pump btw, i took it to workshop, the guy there was saying this. He also said that my genuinely bought honda oil filter (Rs. 820) could be fake since these companies mess around a lot like this with these things. He suggested instead that i should just use a Guard oil filter since they're already cheap so there's no point in making fakes of them and so I'm guaranteed to find a genuine Guard filter every time...

I don't know. I've just done what i thought would be good for the car!

P.S. In England a lot of oils say on them for both 'petrol and diesel engines' , in fact, i have a can lying around that i used to change the Lawnmower's oil with and that says its for diesel engines too!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It wasn't a guy from the pump btw, i took it to workshop, the guy there was saying this. He also said that my genuinely bought honda oil filter (Rs. 820) could be fake since these companies mess around a lot like this with these things. He suggested instead that i should just use a Guard oil filter since they're already cheap so there's no point in making fakes of them and so I'm guaranteed to find a genuine Guard filter every time...

I don't know. I've just done what i thought would be good for the car!

P.S. In England a lot of oils say on them for both 'petrol and diesel engines' , in fact, i have a can lying around that i used to change the Lawnmower's oil with and that says its for diesel engines too!
    api rating of engine oils like for e.g. your say API SN/CF, SN is rating for petrol, CF for diesel, meaning it can be used for both,

90% of diesel oils are mixed fleet oils such as caltex delo, mobil delvac so they can also be used in petrol engines and are better for it too because they have better cleaning detergents due to the need for counteracting the ash in diesel.

oh and in uk do see the api rating for the lawn mower oil before using it in anything else

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

api rating of engine oils like for e.g. your say API SN/CF, SN is rating for petrol, CF for diesel, meaning it can be used for both,

90% of diesel oils are mixed fleet oils such as caltex delo, mobil delvac so they can also be used in petrol engines and are better for it too because they have better cleaning detergents due to the need for counteracting the ash in diesel.

oh and in uk do see the api rating for the lawn mower oil before using it in anything else

Yeah i don't see why they need be vastly different since they both have one (major) function: to lubricate the movin parts. These oils don't mix with the combustion chambers so yeah they don't need to be very different to each other!

I didn't check the API ratings since it was only for a lawnmower. The oil was meant for cars though and it was an SAE 30 (most lawnmowers use this) so i thought, hey, why not just use whatever's lying around - and its been working a charm since

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

User Tag List