Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: 5000 Km or 3 months which even comes first

  1. #1
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tausifs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,038
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default 5000 Km or 3 months which even comes first

    Hello fellow PW members.

    I know this question might have been asked a lot of times before but asking again for some fresh input .

    I have owned and maintained a lot of cars over the last 17 years (Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Suzuki, Kia, Hyundai) without a problem. One thing that I have always failed to understand is the "xxxx Km or Y months which ever comes first policy". I have always changed oils and filters after 6 months because none of my cars I have ever kept made it to the 5000 Km mark even in 6 months .

    Honda however recommends to change oil after 3 months and now there workshop supervisors emphasize on it even more. I had a City Vario back in 2009 to 2011 and always had its oil changed at 6 months interval and never had a problem (although the Honda guys recommended to do it after 3 months even then).

    My question???
    Is HONDA oil that bad that it cant last even 3 months??? I currently own 2 x Honda's. A City 2014 Aspire Prosmatic and a Civic 2015 Vti Oriel Prosmatic. I am currently following the company protocol (oil change after 3 months) on my City and Civic havent reached the point where it needs an oil change.
    Please advice with logic and reasoning.

    Regards,

    Click here for SOLUTION


    Dr. Tausif Ahmed.

  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    ZainMahdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    22
    Posts
    928
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Suzuki and Toyota are also giving this outdated interval. In fact, most of the Pakistani awaam is following this wasteful interval. There is no way that the additive pack in modern oils suddenly depletes after 3 months.

    Anyways, there is not such thing as Honda engine oil; it is just oil formulated by another company, in this case Total's Quartz 9000. Honda then slaps on their stickers on the bottles, and sells it at their dealerships.

    BTW, a Honda can go up to at least 16k km/1 year if not mainly driven under 'severe driving conditions'. Under severe conditions, it comes down to 8k km/6 months (yes, even in dusty conditions). This is the interval followed in the U.S; Europeans follow an even longer interval.

    For warranty purposes, you will just have to bite the bullet and follow the 5k km/3 months interval. After warranty expires, feel free to switch to 6 months.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    aakbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    927
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I don't have the right answer...but I think we should look at it this way.....what is the shelf life of oil? is it 3 months? 6 months? may be a year I guess. Well if you are not running your car and the oil in the sump stays there will that oil become bad in 3 months while its good enough inside the plastic packing for a year?
    I think its just a way to make more money.

    My Honda city did 1000 Km in 2 months and when I took it to Honda guys for inspection (not oil change) and they refused initially as warranty says 1000km or 1 month whichever comes first. Now they asking me to come next month(end of June) for 3months inspection while my car Odo will hardly go over 1800KM. Should I change the oil ?

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tausifs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,038
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    Suzuki and Toyota are also giving this outdated interval. In fact, most of the Pakistani awaam is following this wasteful interval. There is no way that the additive pack in modern oils suddenly depletes after 3 months.

    Anyways, there is not such thing as Honda engine oil; it is just oil formulated by another company, in this case Total's Quartz 9000. Honda then slaps on their stickers on the bottles, and sells it at their dealerships.

    BTW, a Honda can go up to at least 16k km/1 year if not mainly driven under 'severe driving conditions'. Under severe conditions, it comes down to 8k km/6 months (yes, even in dusty conditions). This is the interval followed in the U.S; Europeans follow an even longer interval.

    For warranty purposes, you will just have to bite the bullet and follow the 5k km/3 months interval. After warranty expires, feel free to switch to 6 months.
    Thanks a lot for shedding some light. I hate this Warranty bull ****.
    Dr. Tausif Ahmed.

  5. #5
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tausifs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,038
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aakbar View Post
    I don't have the right answer...but I think we should look at it this way.....what is the shelf life of oil? is it 3 months? 6 months? may be a year I guess. Well if you are not running your car and the oil in the sump stays there will that oil become bad in 3 months while its good enough inside the plastic packing for a year?
    I think its just a way to make more money.

    My Honda city did 1000 Km in 2 months and when I took it to Honda guys for inspection (not oil change) and they refused initially as warranty says 1000km or 1 month whichever comes first. Now they asking me to come next month(end of June) for 3months inspection while my car Odo will hardly go over 1800KM. Should I change the oil ?
    I'm in the same boat. My car hardly does 800 kms/month. Its a total waste of money.
    Dr. Tausif Ahmed.

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tausifs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,038
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I would request @Xulfiqar bahi to give his expert opinion on the subject matter as I really admire his knowledge on car engines :-). Would be really obliged.
    Dr. Tausif Ahmed.

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tausifs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,038
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    This is what I found about Total Quart 9000 oil and it seems to be superior/premium oil with long change/drain intervals.

    5000 Km or 3 months which even comes first -1583487
    Dr. Tausif Ahmed.

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tausifs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,038
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Detailed Specs:

    5000 km or 3 months which even comes first -1583488
    Dr. Tausif Ahmed.

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    siraj_7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    465
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    in a brand new car, the engine sheds a lot of metal debris as clearances settle down. Some gurus recommend to change oil at 20 kilometers and then 1000 and then follow normal OCI.

    After you are done breaking in the engine of your brand new car and if you go with fully synthetic oil. Then it should last at least 1 year if you drive less than the OCI mileage in that time. Every 3 month rule doesn't make any sense to me.

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    siraj_7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    465
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    5K KM/ 3month rule looks like the mineral oil OCI...not for a fully synthetic oil

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    aa78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    697
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    There is a reason these dealerships are called stealerships. It appears that even their principles; i.e. companies behind them have started exploiting customers since quite a while now in the name of warranty. Since most people at these stealerships are mere 'ustads' and 'chotas' with official backing and with some management type in the office, they don't have too many brain cells to rub together between them to reason and use logic about such things.

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    autophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    13,574
    Follows
    20
    Following
    6
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    In our dusty environment both air and oil filter can filter up to certain microns. Its not dealership or company thing, but read your users manuals, it comes from there.

    Also engine oil has certain shelf life. It stays ok in packing longer than in the sump where it interacts with sludge and other elements and starts deteriorating.

    Chalnay ko to gari chalti ha even if you change oil after eight months, but it will not perform optimally.
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

  13. #13
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tausifs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,038
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by autophile View Post
    In our dusty environment both air and oil filter can filter up to certain microns. Its not dealership or company thing, but read your users manuals, it comes from there.

    Also engine oil has certain shelf life. It stays ok in packing longer than in the sump where it interacts with sludge and other elements and starts deteriorating.

    Chalnay ko to gari chalti ha even if you change oil after eight months, but it will not perform optimally.
    I understand your point of view but 3 months /1800 km......... isnt it too early?? The term as referred in the manual is 3 months or 5000km which ever comes first. 5000 kms are a lot (to me atleast) and what I infer from this is that there oil is time dependant rather than mileage. It will run good for 3 months (which is nothing) or 5000km (which is too much). Kuch hazam nai hoe baat sir 😯

    Still confused.........

    As far as dusty environment is concerned........ I don't think rawalpindi/islamabad is as dusty as multan/bahawalpur. Time intervals/mileage should be divided as per our cities in the service manual clearly.

  14. #14
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tausifs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,038
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aa78 View Post
    There is a reason these dealerships are called stealerships. It appears that even their principles; i.e. companies behind them have started exploiting customers since quite a while now in the name of warranty. Since most people at these stealerships are mere 'ustads' and 'chotas' with official backing and with some management type in the office, they don't have too many brain cells to rub together between them to reason and use logic about such things.
    Stealerships and blackmailers in the name of warranty. What can possibly go wrong to the extent that one has to claim warranty with the engine of a brand new Honda running locally and single handedly???

  15. #15
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    autophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    13,574
    Follows
    20
    Following
    6
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Its a car and these are recommended intervals, rest up to you how much you wanna spend on your millions of rupees ride. Never save on maintenance .
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

  16. #16
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tausifs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,038
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @fazalwahab11375 can you check the service intervals (from the cars manual) of Civic Si in the US. I heard one of your friends there got it 😉

    It might give an idea what honda is prescribing to the customers globally.

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fazalwahab11375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    29,466
    Follows
    36
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    842 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    2
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tausifs View Post
    @fazalwahab11375 can you check the service intervals (from the cars manual) of Civic Si in the US. I heard one of your friends there got it 😉

    It might give an idea what honda is prescribing to the customers globally.
    Let me check.. and report back

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Pakwheels on the MAP; http://bit.ly/ZVyXcZ

  18. #18
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tausifs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,038
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fazalwahab11375 View Post
    Let me check.. and report back

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Love you 😊

  19. #19
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fazalwahab11375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    29,466
    Follows
    36
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    842 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    2
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tausifs View Post
    Love you 😊
    Read these links if you can find anything meanwhile http://m.owners.honda.com/faqs/general

    http://m.owners.honda.com/manual/201...navigation_cvt

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Pakwheels on the MAP; http://bit.ly/ZVyXcZ

  20. #20
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tausifs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,038
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fazalwahab11375 View Post
    Read these links if you can find anything meanwhile Honda Maintenance | General FAQ | Frequently Asked Questions

    Honda Owner’s Manual: View Vehicle Information Online

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Read it and am surprised that neither the manual nor the service book has any guidelines regarding change intervals. I wonder why it is so?

  21. 07-06-2015, 11:37 PM

    PakWheeler


+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •