0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default why the city??

can u plz tell me the main reasons y city (manual) is preferred by many ppl over corolla xli?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hmmm recently replaced an xli with city vario, reason:

automatic + plus a lot more comfortable + better fuel consumption

Overall we have four Hond City cars parked at our house. One an old one 98 model, the 2nd one bought in 2004, third in april this year and the fourth bought in July repalcing the xli.

So it shows we are pretty satisfied with the city vario's performance and fuel consumption (the last 3 city cars are all vario)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

aoa guys,

I don't own a new corolla or a city, but have driven and ridden all models of both cars.

Hondas have a stiffer ride overall. Corolla's engines feel better because thier torque is way lower on the RPM range.

City is NOT economical... believe me! For all that "iDSI" and dual spark plug technology, it does an average mileage. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Corolla's build quality is much lower now. The classic 70's and 80,s Japanese assembled Corollas had much better build quality.

As for the high beams... yes, Corolla owners seem to be mentally impaired or sumthing... they always drive with high beams.

Now the city Metro issue. Do u guys know which car runs as Taxi in New york city? If not... look it up. Dubai has Mercedes as Taxi... it does not make it an inferior car! Heck, Europe has BMW Taxis man!

Come on! Make ur own mind up man...both cars r different packages.

Peace!
    Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

According ot my experience with the two cars:

City certainly has a better ride than the xli... or maybe the xli we had was an exception...

City might not have an extraordinary fuel consumption but it certainly is better than the xli

btw do try this sometime: Take the city on the highway.. don't cross 100 km/hr or 2500 rpm.... i know most cars will give great mileage in this case but city certainly gives u something xtraordinary.... (and i am talking about the automatic one... i have no idea how the manual version performs)

and if you are going to convert ur car on cng... just buy a liana... better than city and xli for cng...

GLI
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

F-6 blows!

4.5 Kanals on Margalla, ah, now thats more like it!
    A revolution against the jahil of this nation!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Salam

please also tell about the steermatic, as I am planning to buy this car.

regards
    Pakistan Zindabad

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@all:

I must mention that I do NOT drive an XLi. We have 2 Honda Civics. A 1997---which is a very good car. And a 2002 Vti Oriel Prosmatic, which we regret every buying in the first place!

@doc:

"First of all its messed up to judge people by where they live." Please REREAD my post. I have NEVER said that I was judging people by where they lived, or did I?

"Corolla Xli a status symbol--- shoot me". Again, please REREAD my post. I have not said that XLi is a status symbol. All I said that Corolla is a HIGHER class car than City. Didn't say that it was THE status symbol like Mercs and BMWs. Got that?

"And the Xli is like a 2 sq house in a nullah." Since XLi is higher in status, that makes City a 1 sq house in nullah!

@uiv:

Corolla by default is a 1.8L class car. It just happens that they put 1.3L as well to reduce the price for 3rd world countries. City is actually a 1.5L class car. It just happens that it has 1.3L in Pakistan (and recnetly a 1.5L one as well). Just because they put a smaller engine in the car, it does not mean that it reduces the class of the car. Look at a Merc E200. It only has a 1.8L engine. However, it DOES have more class than a Civic or Altis, doesn't it? Thats because people think of E500s and E320s when they look at an E200. Sames goes with Corolla. Even if someone sees an XLi in the parking lot, people think ALTIS or "1.8L class". As an example, you may put a 5.0L 500hp V12 in a Mehran, but that is NOT going to make it higher in class than an E55 AMG!

@heublue:

City may have all 8 plugs and crap, but it does not beat Toyota. Go race a stock 1299 cc XLi with your 1245cc City and see who wins! Corolla has a lot more torque than City.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hello!
    i prefer JDM Corolla X Assista or Sunny on both of them
    any prob.....
    since its a personal choice...!
    Thanxx
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

uiv
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@All
    I must clearfy that it's just a discussion & no one has an intent to offend his PW fellow.
    For me (perhaps 'us', I hope) PW brothers come first, not those damn cars!
    No phadda, no maaro maaro here, today. LOL

@salmankhilji
    First of all: I very much appreciate your tolerance.
    You have described your point very well & you are right about the class, but we have to look through many other perspectives when buying a car. I agree that model: Corolla is a Civic competitor, but isn't a shame for it to be compared with, & even beaten by lower class CiTY?

And please consider, races have been done there on tracks, not on empty roads, & I'm pretty sure CiTY can smoke XLi anyday on a track, XLi got no road grip, no brakes, then what good is the torque & wild horses?
    Besides, CiTY has got: Drive By Wire Throttle, EBD, speed sensitive EPS, excellent weight distribution through the chassis, stiffer suspension & very important: aerodynamic advantages. Just install a suitable spoiler & experience the wonder of road grip!

I don't know why people consider better acceleration to be fast on track, there are dozens of other 'more important' factors those count.

And again, I would never come to know why people need a faster car, you're buying a standard road car, these cars are not sports, there are dozens of other factors those count here. Besides, what is the purpose of giving TYPE-R & CIVIC-Si when you have sedan version? Now, THOSE are tuner cars.

Whenever they see two guys racing down the street, they'd tag them: INSANE and/or NUTS, but when buying a car they'd say that 'I need power, better acceleration, resale, bla bla bla...' Why do they need for speed if they're not racing junkies? Why do they compromise on fuel economy, comfort, safety, road grip, power features & ofcourse; bla bla bla...? And all with even lesser price tag!

Peace out, Please!
    Please help us improve Pakwheels.com: https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/site-feedback-suggestions/280118-petition-pakwheels-store-spamming

doc
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@salman

Btw doesnt E200 have a 2.0l engine?? Just asking. C class comes with 1.8l if im not wrong.

Im happy with my "lower class" Steermatic and i-dsi. Just yesterday ppl threw tomatoes at me when i was driving it. When an Xli was driving through they clapped and cheered and threw rose petals.
    But who thinks of "class" or "status" when buying an Xli???? SERIOUSLY

BTW dont mind but some of ur argument was complete gibberish. specially the Mehran bit. lol. U think tht comparing a Suzuki ( THE BRAND NAME NOT SPECS) with a Mercedes makes any sense and its the same as comparing a City and Corolla.
    Come on.
    Anyway tmrw theyr thinking of making Xli 1.0l , no power steering , no A/C , no EFI , infact no tyres either (buy them separately) , no speakers or cassette player , no heater either ,. I think i'd still buy it , cause its "HIGH CLASS".
    Yaar but seriously why should ur main priority when buying a car be " what will people think" ?
    And btw when u use words like "status" , tht implies wht i said above.
    Xli may beat the City in a race , but then pray to God u dnt lose control and crash into somthin.

Why do u regret buying the Vti??

@Proverbial Slang
    New York cabs are Ford Crown Victorias if im not wrong.
    2000 model Mercedes E320 goes for around 9000Euros in Austria. So it isnt really a big deal for them to have mercs etc as cabs. Good car , but its viewed differently here and over there.
    Anyway they have a higher standard of living.Buggers wont settle for anything less.
    The XLi here is the C180 there.
    Being a cab dosnt make a car bad. But in this case the Xli is pretty bad.
    w0i dO p3oPL3 TyP3 L1K3 tH15 , or should i say , Di5?

doc
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@hsnmz

Go for the Steermatic.
    Had mine since February and am really enjoying it.
    Should have had more specs but whtver. Its still a good car.
    Just dont put CNG.

doc
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Btw please keep in mind tht Japenese assembled is way better than local.
    So check the Lancer1.6 as well.
    Manual is only 10lak now. Really good deal.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Salam

thanks @ doc,

i have decided on steermatic. will be buying one soon inshaAllah.

ans yes Lancer is the best option available. I have seen it, but I would be keeping this car for about 3 years and as Lancer has bad resale, so after 3 yrs it would be problem selling Lancer.
    Pakistan Zindabad

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think car market after 3 years would be quite different, with influx of new cars the resale value of cars will go down considerably no matter which car you buy.

Moreover in my personal opinion resale of the lancer should be better than the city after 3 years.... reasons:

1. Mitsubishi is here to stay this time with 3S
    2. Build quality of the lancer is a lot better than the City and the probability of finding a good condition 3 year old lancer will be a lot higher than that of a 3 year old city....

and this is certainly not a baised view, we have 3 new city cars and are pretty satisfied with them...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys....v got a lotta city owners here...now i have both the cars and im sorry to say but ill have to confide with salman khilji.Xli ill say is a much better car anyways.Its got a better interior a stock mp3 player.a better shape not a pointing front and i think its more comfortaable.Look at the city s speedo!its like a helmet.The cars so complicated that its difficult to repair.Had to change the head light bulb ;which forced me to remove the cng kit first.Then corolla is toyota.Honda worked for toyota company.Its the largest automaker today.Paint the car put side skirts and ut an altis emblem thsz all the exterior difference.

City's got more economy and a bigger trunk but i like riding in a corolla than a city cz its not a civic
    The future of Automobile...Mercedes-Benz S Class Saloon

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@doc:

E200 Kompressor is 1.8L, 160hp. 100% confirmed. I looked it up on the Mercedes site a long time ago.

I also confirmed this by looking at the import papers of an E200 Kompressor imported by Dream Cars here in Islamabad. It said something like 1796 or 1798 cc. Its definitely not 2.0L!

We regret buying our 2002 VTi Oriel Posmatic because 1) THe ride is very uncomfortable---very bumpy. 2) The fuel econoly is not good. 8.5-9 km/L. 3) The car has no power. Very hard to pass (overtake) other cars.

We thought it was the auto transmission until recently we also drove your friend's 2004 Manual VTi. It also had a very weak engine and very poor acceleration compared to our 1997 VTi. Seems like they switched over to too many Pakistani parts in the later models making it not worthy.

uiv
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@abdullah1
    Why don't you simply say that you like XLi? Man! put some stones here; in your argument, you'd buy XLi coz it's got an Mp3 player. You're not concerned about your safety, fuel, comfort & lot of other things.

Okay, I tell you in your way, you get an Mp3 player but not power windows, high mount back light, painted door mirrors & door trim! These aftermarkets never bothered me, but I have quoted for you.
    Besides, technically CiTY has got a lot more than any Corolla & a bit more than Civic (old & even new), trust me on this.

"Had to change the head light bulb ;which forced me to remove the cng kit first"
    LOL, Sir take no offence that's one of the funniest thing I've heard lately! Why didn't you just removed a screw from the plastic mud shield under the fender & changer the bulb? The blame doeen't fall on Honda if you don't know how to do it?

Yes! Honda provided piston rings to Toyota, but they have gone through a revolution, that made them to compete with the very company! Isn't that sheer pride & advancement? And don't make me to tell you Honda's histroy, lest you fall in love with the world's largest engine maker & motorbike domain, research company, HONDA.
    Please help us improve Pakwheels.com: https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/site-feedback-suggestions/280118-petition-pakwheels-store-spamming

doc
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@salman
    Most people complain abt Corollas ride being bumpier . But its the same with most local cars. Hard suspension. I feel even though the Civic(old shape ) is a better car , the City's ride is smoother.
    Check the optra if u want a really comfortable car. ive enjoyed mine since the first day.

@abdullah
    I have to agree tht Citys dashboard is weird and so is the shape , BUT thts how it is with the new Civic and prbly going to be with most cars in the future. Old is gold i guess.
    But overall the City is way more comfort and a better car.
    Especially the handling , Xli is like all over the place. City has much better road grip.
    I think older people mostly prefer the Xli .
    But if u like it then thts ur choice, everyone has their own tastes. at least u gave some valid reason.
    Anyway the trunk is really useful for me cause i can fit my whole drum kit in there . And 4 golf bags if i want.
    And most people use CNG ,,so even with the cylinder thers a lot of space.
    Yaar please dont tell me u were serious abt putting an Altis logo on Xli. PLEASE.

@hsnmz
    Just rember tht in the beginning dont expect any fuel economy. After 5000km it improves and after 10000km really good.
    Are u going to put CNG??

uiv
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@salmankhilji
    Your 97 VTi has got 2-Stage VTEC & the later model (2004) has a 3-Stage VTEC, that's the reason it 'feels' weak & poor in acceleration.

VTEC is Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control. Unlike the 2-Stage VTEC, which has two possible configurations, 3-Stage VTEC has three valve & cam profiles, here is a very brief account:
    At Ist-Stage, only one intake valve remains open with minimun lift & hance car uses as little fuel as possible. This is in the idle state, & the car is almost dead at this point.
    2nd-Stage is engaged when you put your foot on the gas & rev a bit high, valves perform a better lift but remain limited to achieve max economy. It's the normal economy mode for daily drive, most people drive at this mode & rarely go in the next stage.
    At 3rd-Stage, all intake valves are active & maximun lift is achieved. This is the power stage, they call VTEC. It's engaged at 4500rpms are here the car is at maximun output mode.

In normal drive, a person may not rev that hard & usually shifts to the next gear before the 3rd-Stage activation. Hence car seems powerless & weak, contrary to 2-Stage VTECs those do not have profiles at their edge, & provides more power than 3-Stage at lower rpms.

Try this next time, rev hard upto 6000 rpms before you shift, & enjoy: The Power Of Dreams. In first gear, when you reach to 4500 rpms, the car gives a slight jerk & the whole world changes; the sound, acceleration & thrill.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@uiv:I seriously think xli's more safe cz its more strongly built then its a toyota.I saw lots of rollas crashed and city's.Believe me citys get much worse.I no xli haznt got those power shashkas but its a simple car which is easy to mantain.I have a 86corolla and my czns got a 86civics.The civics got a power steering and the rollas very hard then even anodr options whch the rolla dzn.But bleiv me dat cars like a jewel to me itni strong hai then its easy for every mechanic even after 20years its reliable.Hondas are soft cars which are theyre to love u cant hit them in bumps and expect durability.As far as the pw are concerned get the lamp for 250 and the pw from the market or the company they install for 18000.Or 1 can buy a gli.But u cant change the citys interior can u?Nor cant u improve its quality

@doc
    na man i wont put that emblem but may b a gli 1 after converting it.I no its not got good road grip but better resale and 4wheel discs whch i no are not very gudbut may b ur rite its my preference i love toyotas.Then it runs awesome on cng aldu drz less trunk room but better engine power.City tou mar jati hai gas pe.....
    The future of Automobile...Mercedes-Benz S Class Saloon

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

abdullah, you took your car to a lucy electrician to change your cars bulb. just hillarious you had to go through so much khuwari just to change a bulb. ROFL. as a member stated earlier, you need to remove the screw from the shield underneath the front fender, and wallah, thats where the bulbs are protected by a rubber casing... Better luck next time buddy !
    Bees waal 4 life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List