0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question City Vario 2007 (Transmission?) Issue

I've recently bought a used City Vario 2007 106K mileage. Got it checked when buying and it was perfect in running etc.
    I got it through a reliable dealer (dealing with him for the last 10 years). Asked him to get the car serviced before delivering to me. When he brought car to me after service, said it is 'missing'. Some water might have gone in and it will go away in like 2-3 days.

I started using it and soon realized that engine was not missing (started and checked at different accelerator positions, cold/hot). Checked it by mechanic and there wasn't a water issue in plugs/coils.

The 'missing' referred to is as follows:
    - In the morning, when I start the car, the RPM is at about 1.5K+, stables to about 1.1K or lower in a minute. I think this is normal.
    - Putting the car in D takes the RPM back to 1.5K+, gets back to normal within 2-3 minutes of driving. I think this is not unusual as well.
    - When I try to accelerate by pushing the paddle, the car takes jerks, RPM goes up and down. It stabilizes after a few seconds.
    - The jerking and RPM variation is directly proportional to the intended acceleration. I.e. if I am (nearly) stopped and press paddle, jerking happens. If I am going at like 20 km/h and wants to speed up to like 60+, jerking happens.
    - The jerking does not happen when I have paddle pressed more or less in the same position and car accelerates gradually to a higher speed. No problems.

Got valve body service service a day ago. Things are slightly better but jerking has not gone completely.
    Mechanic said if jerking does not go away, transmission will have to be changed. He said Japanese Honda City transmission could fit in local Vario after some alteration. Claimed he has done it many times successfully. Total Cost is 25K. (Mechanic: Shahid from General Motors, near Chandni Chowk Park (Karachi).

I've recently bought the car and have obviously spent a lot of money in buying it. Don't want to throw away money unnecessarily if the problem could be solved with little cost but with near 100% RELIABILITY (in Karachi).

I don't know if this information would help. I drive the car daily (7 days a week, 5 days to office, rest for household work, outing etc.) and my average running per day is about 40-45 KM (about 1300-1500 KM per month).

Could someone here please guide me how should I go about solving the issue. I must confess that I know very little about engine and transmissions. Please consider a layman when giving your advises.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you decide to get the cvt oil changed please make sure to get it done from a dealership and use genuine honda cvt oil.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Which gear oil is recommended for Vario? Honda CVTF?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear Experts, I need your thoughts on this please https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/cit...els-high-speed

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I own 2004 vario and is currently 180K without any problems. The jerking you mentioned is a bit of a problem in cold start in vario from day one, I noticed it when I was in Quetta specially during those sub-zero temp mornings. You need idle the engine for few minutes before driving it to office or home, the problem is cvtf oil does not get hot enough for gearbox to work as it should be. Start the car in morning and idle it for 5 mins or till the engine cold light turns off, and than try driving the car. The problem should not arise than. Another solution is keep it driving until cvtf and engine temp is high enough for optimal performance.
    If its on petrol and car is maintained properly than believe me u don't need any engine or gear maintenance of any kind apart from oil change.
    Remember to change your coolant asap. Change oil to 10W40 for optimal consumption. Change gear oil to cvtf original Honda, will cost you 1100rs/litre to 1300/litre I think. That's it. No throttle body cleaning. Change air filter if its dirty. And change 8 spark plugs to OEM spec if u want it to perform better. Nothing more nothing less. For further read the Honda City Fan Club thread and also download the manual for your car its there.

Sent from my Infinix X510 using Tapatalk

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@babarhyd - thanks a lot for valuable suggestions.

Last night, I visited Usman Autos (FB Area, behind Javed Nihari). This guy (Usman) is regarded as automatic transmission 'cheetah' by some other mechanics. I don't know him to be honest.

He checked my car and confirmed that its a gearbox issue. Additionally, he said that the foundation is not properly in place and jerking causes the foundation to hit body sometimes, causing a booming sound (has happened 2-3 times in last couple of weeks). Also, the accelerator pedal is a bit hard. He said it is quite likely that the old owner (or his mechanic) was aware of gearbox problem and tightened accelerator. With a free pedal, the problem would have manifested earlier. However he said that this could happen anytime, so I can't blame the seller for this (besides, there is no point doing this).

Usman said he would prefer to overhaul the CVT gearbox. He said he has done it many times and gives 6 months warranty for his work. Total cost (including gear oil Honda CVTF, 8 liters of that, costing 8K+ itself) is going to be 35K! This is huge, given that I've took the car ownership just a 3 weeks ago. But, anyways...

Usman said the gearbox replacement is an alternate option but there is no warranty/guarantee that the replacement would work flawlessly.

What to do now? Any suggestions?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mrashidsaleem View Post
    @babarhyd - thanks a lot for valuable suggestions.

Last night, I visited Usman Autos (FB Area, behind Javed Nihari). This guy (Usman) is regarded as automatic transmission 'cheetah' by some other mechanics. I don't know him to be honest.

He checked my car and confirmed that its a gearbox issue. Additionally, he said that the foundation is not properly in place and jerking causes the foundation to hit body sometimes, causing a booming sound (has happened 2-3 times in last couple of weeks). Also, the accelerator pedal is a bit hard. He said it is quite likely that the old owner (or his mechanic) was aware of gearbox problem and tightened accelerator. With a free pedal, the problem would have manifested earlier. However he said that this could happen anytime, so I can't blame the seller for this (besides, there is no point doing this).

Usman said he would prefer to overhaul the CVT gearbox. He said he has done it many times and gives 6 months warranty for his work. Total cost (including gear oil Honda CVTF, 8 liters of that, costing 8K+ itself) is going to be 35K! This is huge, given that I've took the car ownership just a 3 weeks ago. But, anyways...

Usman said the gearbox replacement is an alternate option but there is no warranty/guarantee that the replacement would work flawlessly.

What to do now? Any suggestions?
    What is there that has to be repaired?
    I say get a second opinion

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dayrider View Post
    What is there that has to be repaired?
    I say get a second opinion
    He said the belt, that goes across two cones, is loosened. There might be other problems too.

I've got this checked by Shahid (mentioned in original post) and another local mechanic. All of them say that the gearbox has issues. However only Usman has offered to repair (overhaul) it, with 6 months warranty. Others saying to replace it with gearbox of JDM City (Fit; would require some alteration) or search for a local city gearbox in Shershah (going to cost more, potentially more than 30K).

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

He said the belt, that goes across two cones, is loosened. There might be other problems too.

I've got this checked by Shahid (mentioned in original post) and another local mechanic. All of them say that the gearbox has issues. However only Usman has offered to repair (overhaul) it, with 6 months warranty. Others saying to replace it with gearbox of JDM City (Fit; would require some alteration) or search for a local city gearbox in Shershah (going to cost more, potentially more than 30K).
    CVT belt replacement in 35k what seriously ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Drive it till it runs, when it stops working or becomes unbearable, get a new gearbox

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Accelerator maybe hard because of plastic footpads. 6 months warranty and 35K. That's damn expensive. Go for replacement one JDM. But before that make sure your gearbox is really defective only than go for such repairs. Did u try what I asked you to do?

Sent from my Infinix X510 using Tapatalk

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by babarhyd View Post
    6 months warranty and 35K. That's damn expensive. Go for replacement one JDM.
    Thanks a lot for your opinion. I assume this means that
    1. JDM gearbox replacement (including cost of gear oil) will cost lesser than this. Is this true? What should be the cost and how to ensure JDM gearbox quality?
    2. JDM gearbox will fit in seamlessly in local Vario. Could you please confirm this.

Also, could a local Vario gearbox as a replacement would perform better, and cost less?

Quote Originally Posted by babarhyd View Post
    Did u try what I asked you to do?
    I usually keep the car start for a minute or so. Tried your suggestion (kept it idle till the Cold Engine light went off). It didn't change anything regarding the problem.

Haven't yet tried gear oil change (is going to cost a lot and would be lost money if gearbox ultimately needs replacement). Coolant looks fine. I'll check Engine oil but that also looks in good shape. I don't know if it was 10W40 or not but will find that out.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Have you taken it to Honda dealerships for a thorough checkup? May be this exercise will be helpful in making an informed decision. Best of luck.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi,

Ran into serious problems in the last week (Thursday), with D gear blinking now and then, and car refusing to climb up in slow speed (probably gear not shifting down). Had to go for replacement therefore.

Had been talking to the dealer for arrangement of local City gearbox. Got one installed on Friday for a total cost of 27K (including Honda CVTF oil and accelerator wire replacement). Don't know if the dealer gave any favor or not. He mentions this is a discounted price for local City gearbox aren't easily available in market.

There is 1 month warranty from the dealer's mechanic. So far, it is running OK Alhamdolillah. Checked with slow/high speeds, cool/hot engine, w/wo AC.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i am facing the same issue with my vario these days. taking it to dealership tomorrow lets see what happens.
    HONDA+NISSAN=POWER MEETS STYLE

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Where did you get the work done from ?
    Take extra care, CVT once messed with requires lots of care. Replace oil at 10k (will take about 4 liters). Everytime you disconnect battery, get first clutch re-calibrated. Also keep the plugs and coils in good condition.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    490 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

A Common Issue In Vario CVT's..... Get Ready To Buy A Used Transmission Possibly.....NEW Transmission Will Cost Fortune

Stay Away From Gimmicks As It Will Suck Your Pocket Empty Nothing Else...
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List