0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Post Honda City IVTEC 2016 Coolant

Dear All,I bought Honda city 3 weeks back and today in morning I checked the coolant level it was just slightly above Min level. I went to Honda canal bank, the mechanic opened the cap of radiator and the level in bottle gone up to almost the middle. He said ke ye kam hota hai aap pani dal den uper say thora.Kindly advise is it normal coolant level to become low for a new car?Can I top it up with plain water in emergency?Which coolant is already put in new City? Green or Blue (Type 1 or Type 2 Honda coolant)Can i top it up with some other brand coolant like Zic as Honda coolant is very expensive? I heard if there are different types of coolant it can be dangerous.Thanks

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Coolant level should only be checked when the car is hot because water expands and the level will go up. I won't advise you to use tap water. Yes, you can use ZIC coolant but make sure that it is original. Don't mix two different coolants as they won't be compatible with each other. If you want you can add distilled water only to the existing coolant if the level gets low. If you want to use a different coolant, you need to flush the cooling system first, then add the ZIC pre diluted coolant, if you're using ZIC. I don't know which type of coolant is used in city. The experts can guide you better on which type of coolant is best suited for your car. I hope this cleared up a bit of confusion.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sorry... @sr107
    But you just guided him a little wrong...
    Coolant level should be filled uptil the upper mark in the expansion tank when engine is cold...

And about adding water if you find the same coolant which is pre filled from the factory then you can fill that without hesitation... Do not ever make a mistake of mixing two different coolants together they may cause a big mess....
    Otherwise just fill up the reservoir bottle with distilled water. Not tap water...

Tap water will destroy up your car's cooling system.

Sent from my D2502 using PW Forums mobile app
    Four wheels move the body
    Two wheels move the soul

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^ Thanks hassantahir and sr107

I will take distilled water and fill it up for now.

Can someone tell what is the actual coolant that is pre filled from factory? Honda Type 1??

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

your owners manual should say at the back which coolant is required, otherwise ask 3s they should definately know, and like above never mix the two coolants and only check when car is cold, maybe the factory did not bleed out the cooling system properly and thats why the level fell for the first time otherwise the coolant level should not drop form max line in a brand new car at all. if it drops again then there is something wrong and have it inspected and fixed under warranty otherwise the problem may get worse later when the warranty runs out. otherwise one time drop is not to worry about. just buy one coolant bottle from honda of the relevant type thats filled form factory and keep it for safekeeping, if level is continually dropping then dont spend money on coolant bottles but instead get it fixed from them.
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by neveed View Post
    Dear All,I bought Honda city 3 weeks back and today in morning I checked the coolant level it was just slightly above Min level. I went to Honda canal bank, the mechanic opened the cap of radiator and the level in bottle gone up to almost the middle. He said ke ye kam hota hai aap pani dal den uper say thora.Kindly advise is it normal coolant level to become low for a new car?Can I top it up with plain water in emergency?Which coolant is already put in new City? Green or Blue (Type 1 or Type 2 Honda coolant)Can i top it up with some other brand coolant like Zic as Honda coolant is very expensive? I heard if there are different types of coolant it can be dangerous.Thanks
    Get the coolant bottle from Honda. Costs like 700 for a liter... coolant level was low on my car too and i filled it up with it... better to check the level when car is cool, for instance early morning before starting engine.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi good choice of car,a bit diff question but i am planning to get one for me too,can you tell me how much time it took for delivery after booking ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My car also reduced coolant a lil bit in first month , honda guys added liquid (dont know it was coolant or distilled water) on ist inspection.
    since than 3 months have passed , its level is stable
    Enjoying and loving my new City 16 to bits

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well i have to look for coolant in my city..
    I got my 1.3 manual city in 2 days from honda classic

Sent from my SM-G900F using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rabeelch View Post
    Hi good choice of car,a bit diff question but i am planning to get one for me too,can you tell me how much time it took for delivery after booking ?

Thanks. It took exact 30 days after booking. I booked on 22 March and got it on 21st April.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by neveed View Post

Salam,

The coolant level should be checked when the car is warm because coolant expands and if you pour coolant to the brim of the reservoir tank and when the car gets warm the coolant will overflow from the reservoir tank, so check the levels when warm, if the coolant level is decreasing there is some leak or major problem with the water body of the cooling system of car.

coolant level of a new car SHOULD NEVER DECREASE even a single drop.

my fathers city aspire 1.5 prosmatec is 85,000 Km driven in 2 years and the coolant level is still the same as when we bought the brand new car.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hashsohail View Post
    Salam,

The coolant level should be checked when the car is warm because coolant expands and if you pour coolant to the brim of the reservoir tank and when the car gets warm the coolant will overflow from the reservoir tank, so check the levels when warm, if the coolant level is decreasing there is some leak or major problem with the water body of the cooling system of car.

coolant level of a new car SHOULD NEVER DECREASE even a single drop.

my fathers city aspire 1.5 prosmatec is 85,000 Km driven in 2 years and the coolant level is still the same as when we bought the brand new car.
    You are again guiding him wrong......
    Coolant level should be checked on a cold engine in expansion tank......

Why company has provided upper level and lower level marks on the expansion tank....

Who told you to fill the expansion tank to the brim...?

Two wheels move the soul

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hassantahir2 View Post
    You are again guiding him wrong......
    Coolant level should be checked on a cold engine in expansion tank......

Why company has provided upper level and lower level marks on the expansion tank....

Who told you to fill the expansion tank to the brim...?

i wrote "IF" by any chance you fill up to the brim which "should" not be done and for that exact reason it states MAX on the reservoir / overflow tank.

anyhow what i have learned and studied is that TRUE coolant levels can only be checked and when the car is warm.
    @ekdrifter your thoughts?

EDIT: YOU are right, it should be checked when cold. why is it that my cars reservoir tank shows more than half when cold and when the car is warm it shows to UPPER level at exact point where it should be. (Car in account we talking about is alto VXR 1000cc)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i wrote "IF" by any chance you fill up to the brim which "should" not be done and for that exact reason it states MAX on the reservoir / overflow tank.

anyhow what i have learned and studied is that TRUE coolant levels can only be checked and when the car is warm.

EDIT: YOU are right, it should be checked when cold. why is it that my cars reservoir tank shows more than half when cold and when the car is warm it shows to UPPER level at exact point where it should be. (Car in account we talking about is alto VXR 1000cc)
    bro it can be a faulty rad cap aswell as it was case with 2 altos i know rubber seal is busted on them and we see brand new cars overheating
    plus thing is OP should take car back to honda and make them check if there is something wrong
    Hanjiii Kaa Storeey Eehh !

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

At engine cold fill the bottle till it's upper mark..

Two wheels move the soul

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

can type 1 green coolant be mixed with type 2 blue coolant , incase of unavailability of type to coolant

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Faizan1 View Post
    can type 1 green coolant be mixed with type 2 blue coolant , incase of unavailability of type to coolant
    You should never mix two types of coolants. Their chemical properties are different from each other. In case of unavailability, use distilled water only.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In my opinion, you cannot mix any sort of water with the Type 2 coolant coz its already pre-mixed, in case of a level decrease, I think you should check it with Honda coz it should not decrease and if it does you can add only Type 2 coolant into it (if it already does have Type 2 coolant).

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List