2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Advice Needed. Corolla XLI OR Honda City M/T

I am interested to buy a 1300cc car. I have the choice from the following.

1. Corolla XLI (price 10lakh and 20 thousand including market premium. XLI is not power windows and it comes only in Black or white colours
    2. Honda City (Price 9 Lakhs including market premium). Honda City is power windows and comes with metalic colours as well.

Please help me decide considering I have the following priorities.

1. Prestige in our social surroundings.

2. Fuel Consumption ( I will not go for a cng Kit)

3. Resale Value. (an approx. % differnece between each of these cars)

4. Comfort / Luxury

Please help me decide considering my priorities in a countdown manner. I already have a cultus which is good for my daily purposes but i need a bigger car for some reason and my budget is not allowing me to go for an Honda Civic EXI or other corolla models.

Hope to get a sincere advice from you guys.

Ciao

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hello!
    as u mention points that some goes with Xli and other goes with Honda City...
    City lacks quick resale + parts are expensive also...
    where as better in avg then ur XLi+Power pack car....
    Xli is as of Toyota has its own qualities...but i prefer Toyota also..it gives u around 13km/l whereas chity gives 15km/l depending on running
    so i personally prefer u a XLi...in black color
    Thanxxx

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Corolla XLi in black is the best buy, good milage plus quick resale just like cash in hand. City is also a good car, but its looks are a joke, pps call it istri or steel iron for pressing clothes, while XLi is much more prestigious and powerful than City. As far power windows you can add genuine Corolla power windows later.
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

according to ur forum
    i thik its btter if u buy HONDA CITY.

U MAY WILL BE ABLE TO SAVE A LAKH IN WHICH U CAN DO REGISTRATION AND INSURNCE PLUS OTHER THINGS.

LOOK FOR PAYING 10,00,000 AND NOT EVEN GETTING POWER WINDOWS AND SUCKY BRAKES.

HONDA CITY IS BETTER IN BRAKES AS WELL IN POWER STEERING.

AND YEAH XLI IF DRIVEN CAREFULLY DO GIVES ALMOST SAME PETROL CONSUMPTION N U SAID U DON'T CARE FOR PETROL SO GO FOR HONDA.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

cng kion nahee chaye yeh batao pehle ? CNG se kia nuksaan hai ?

Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

SIr
    go see the roads ..ull find cities all arround ...well resale is determined by demand city is hott these days ..i just got a new one last month its givin me zabardast average comfort n luxury wize its kewl too..ppl used to be uncomfortable wid the shape but its not like that now

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

City rules in all the points u mentioned except for the resale point, city does have a resale (infact nowadays its resale is better than xli & I know it cuz i'm a dealer) but the price depreciation of city is more than that of Xli. Rest its ur money so do whatever u wanna do with it, if u r in karachi & u want a Zero meter manual then I do have 1 available in Cyprus Blue, my no is 0300-9283186
    If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man ~ Mark Twain

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Go for city if you are driving in city only (as the name says) it is spacious as compared to Xli and have power windows + braking is good....
    it has following problems

1. Engine manifold is Cheap plastic and on Cng backfires resulting in burst headers.
    (xli has plastic too but is good)

2.It is very weak from front as my friends got hit by a DOG and you cant imagine how much damage it caused...the car has started to vibrate after that.

3.I-dsi technology sources like distributur etc are very unreliable and unrepairable

4. i have heard it,s Oil filter cost 700Rs ( im not sure abt that)

other wise Xli in Black color is the deal if you consider going between cities and require a sturdy car + reliability and Resale.

The Engine coming in Xli is a Twin Cam Chain driven engine and there is no Timing belt in it...therefore you can easily take it too 200,000 km without any hassles
    Xli looks better too but again everybody knows that it,s a cheaper version and has no luxuries in it.....
    AE 86

F1
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hi brother salam,look that in your questions 1 and 4 the honda city loses and whereas in q 2 and 3 the corolla leads means to say that the city's prestige in surroundings is not good where as xli is stylish good looking and grceful car.secondly fuel consumption of city is excellent because it has two spark plugs per cylinders as compered to xli.thirdlyresale value city is nothing it get saled after a long hard work whereas xli get saled in minutes.in lastcomfort andluxury city is luxury and comfortable than xli because xli has got no road grip and it has also got hard and heighted seats which results in tiredness in long journey.city is tremendous in comfort and luxury than city it has soft seats with good visibility and its main point is that it has such a large trunk tat u have never seen it before so look both car in show room but i will prefre go for city
    Godzilla under the Hood !!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear F1 ref your points about XLi road grip, it is quite good if you replace the stock General tyre with Dunlop of Yokohama, you will experience excellent road grip and smooth ride, plus very good braking. The "hard" seats give your a good lumber support and do not cause back pains, plus keep you seated upright for a good road view ahead. The trunk space is even larger than all other calls in its class despite having fuel tanks at the back, while in City the fule tank has been relocated in the centre of the body. Anyways a pony cannot be compared with a stallion, cheers
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hello:

Its good that you already have preference points to make a decision. here is what I can suggest:

1- Prestige: it more depends on your age group as well. When I was student I preferred KE 175 over small cars! If you have small family too and you want more sober and decent look and no funky then City is not a good choice.
    2- Fuel Consumption: if you want to drive in 60-90KM range you could save 36K a year on Citi.
    3- Resale Value: whole this phenomenon is going to change as more new brands will enter into the market and people would become aware of cost-benefit. If you think yourself very smart to buy a car that can be sold at a high price later then probably you also think the buyer a stupid for paying too much for second hand car. Also if you compute the %age of resale value you wont find much difference as car prices have also increased which would now become stable or come down in near future. Citi looses in close comparison
    4- Luxury: I say both are overall same. On paper city has more.
    Hello:

Its good that you already have preference points to make a decision. here is what I can suggest:

1- Prestige: it more depends on your age group as well. When I was student I preferred KE 175 over small cars! If you have small family too and you want more sober and decent look and no funky then City is not a good choice.
    2- Fuel Consumption: if you want to drive in 60-90KM range you could save 36K a year on Citi.
    3- Resale Value: whole this phenomenon is going to change as more new brands will enter into the market and people would become aware of cost-benefit. If you think yourself very smart to buy a car that can be sold at a high price later then probably you also think the buyer a stupid for paying too much for second hand car. Also if you compute the %age of resale value you wont find much difference as car prices have also increased which would now become stable or come down in near future. Citi looses in close comparison?
    4- Luxury: I say both are overall same. On paper city has more.
    soa sunhar ki, aik lohar ki!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear Sprinter your point about resale in the coming days when there will be a flurry of imported cars in Pakistan.

Remember that before 1993, when import of cars was allowed as no Toyota or Civic was being assembled here and we used to see new models of Lancer, Mazda and Nissan every year, but Toyota also reigned supreme over all other brands and makes of cars no matter how better those cars were compared to Corolla.

People are not fools when it comes to spending their hard earned money and most of people buy a new car once in a lifetime but very few change model every year because they have lots of money and do not know where to spend.

While chosing a brand one goes for reliabilty and resale aspects as compared to luxury, looks, comfort and snob appeal (true for ppl with lots of money, even many of these people would not fall prey to luxury and still put there money in a valued brand).

The bottomline is that reslae an important aspect that any wiseguy would not overlook, so Toyota's would continue to sell like hot cakes, for example Corolla 1986 (all models) are like hard cash still in deamnd after 19 years, while try to sell a 1986 Civic and see how hard it is to get rid of it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear autophile:
    I like your comments as it does reflect some reality so no point to negate them. However, I have given my opinion on the basis of expected changes and the change in behavior over decades. Since very recently we have bank financing available and so many people now own new cars. That was not the case before.

In local market yes the bottom line is still the resale and Hondo too has improved in this area.

Globally Toyota is a bigger company, both are considered reliable, they compete by attracting people with new styles and safety features and technology improvement. Surprisingly in US civic has more resale, coroll has beter EPA fuel consumption points.

When new players enter into the market one of the choices is to compete with big player is with low price and more features till becoming mature. We have seen this in case of Honda, Spectra, Santro etc.

Probably it takes more than 19 years to become a wise guy
    soa sunhar ki, aik lohar ki!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear Sprinter thanks for your comments, I agree with everything you have said, very vaild and convincing arguements, regards

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hmm Nice discussion.

Friend my vote is for Dashing Black Toyota XLi. All uor requirements .. prestige + resale + luxury it covers .. in fuel consumption as discussed theres no big difference. as mentioned by some friend that u can always have pwr windows in uor xli.

Yeah there is difference of 1.20k that is something to think abt because the difference in original prices of 2 is only 45k. So this premium hurts. But don't worry until this bloody own is there the difference will always remain there.

Cheerz and enjoy uor lovely black beauty ride.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Asslam-0-Alkqum,
    both cars are good.
    If you see comfort, style, fuel, honda
    is good.
    If you see resale, parts, size toyota is good.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi Guys,

I really thank you all so much about your sincere suggestions and sparing time to write about your opinions.

Well I live in lahore and I am also seeing that City is entering our road at quite a massive pace. That means that its demand is on hike right now. Well I personally prefered corrolla initially but keeping in mind the Power Pack plus a saving of about 1.2 lakhs I am planning to get a city.

If corolla's booking was open then I would have booked the black xli and would wait for 4-5 months but Toyota is constantly saying that booking is closed and only option is to buy from the market with premium or wait till the booking opens and they have no idea wheb the booking process will resume.

Now what I have planned rite now is to book a honda city in Cyprus blue or charcoal colour and wait for 4 months for the delivery. That will save my 70 thousand bucks more and I have a car which i can use till i get the delivery.

I am planning to book the honda city on this Monday.

I agree with Mr. sprinter's arguments which look very reasonable about the resale. By giving examples of Santro etc, this guy has got solid reasoning to support his converstaion. I am quite impressed and what I forecast is that city will also make its resale value soon.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions once again.

Kind Regards,

YASIR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear Mr. kkoool,

Thanks for your nice comments. Do you have any idea that after how much milage one has to change city's oil filter?

Oil filter costing 700 rupees is damn too much for a 1300 cc car. Dont you think so?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well the new corolla is a very badly assembled car with very low quality parts. You might have heard that the new SE SALOON will now come without alloys as they were so low quality, they broke very often and the death of sher afghan's son ws also proved to be due to the fault of the corolla's rim breaking at high speeds.

Whereas CITY is a very nice car with components that are much more advanced than the parts corolla has installed.
    Corolla's engine is only EFI and that also not multi-point, it's the technology that was introduced decades before, whereas city has one of the latest engine's around...
    Apart from pakwheels, my blogs can be also be viewed at http://tajziat.blogspot.com/

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear bilalahm, hi please do not spread misinformation re Corollas. Sher Afgan's son was killed because airbag of his SE did not open and it was not clear whether he was wearing safety belt at the time of collision with a wagon. The point about faulty rims is also misleading. The problem rims supplied by a local vendor (a government requirement to use a percentage of local parts to promote Pakistan's vendor industry) were replaced free of cost by Toyota and they placed big ads in newsappers asking ppl to get the rims replaced. Has anyother company in Pakistan ever recalled vehciles for parts replacement ever? No doubt it is the first in Pakistan. Another thing that just after a week I got my new Corolla, i recieved a cheque of 2,000 rupees from Toyota Indus and they said that they were giving me the money as a refund for delivering the cars just three days later than the expected delivery time.WOW again in Pakistan it is a surprise that a compay refunts its customer for waiting and that too without asking. Honda's parts are not made in heaven and alomost same vendors supply parts to both companies. Plus as I said earlier, please do not compare a Pony (city) with a stallion (corolla), have a nice time and do not spread disinfo here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List