Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: honda city steermatic on CNG?????

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default honda city steermatic on CNG?????

aoa,

I recently bought a city steermatic. If anyone has installed CNG in their steermatic, please provide comments on the performance/milage and also if anyone knows a good dealer for electronic CNG kits in Islamabad. There are lots of shops but most of them simply don't know what they are doing .

Though my car is in running, let me know about its accelaration when you put the pedal to the metal!!!
    Hail to the King Baeeeebay!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Please read the following for difference.

EFI & CNG Technology

On EFI-vehicle, there are 2 main technologies that are being applied, that is (1) EFI Fumigation and (2) Sequential Gas Injection. Here is the breakdown on the comparative technologies:

EFI & Fumigation

On the EFI-vehicle, you may see a Mixer attached between the airfilter hose and the Throttle Body Opening. This vehicle is using a Fumigation Technology, which is actually a GAS carburetion. Electronics like Injector Emulator and Lambda Emulator are meant to fool or deceive the EFI-ECU, sending you NO warning light or 'Check Engine' Alert on your speedometer.

In Petrol-mode, your vehicle is operating on FULL Petrol Injection (intelligent Fuel Management with metered petrol-liquid injection, directly into the combustion chamber). But when you operate in CNG-mode, you have downgraded your Fuel system to a Gas Carburetor.

The Fumigation CNG mixer acts as your traditional Carburetor Unit, pre-mixing your air with CNG before the Throtte Body. The Injector Emulator prevents the Petrol injector to open, by introducing current resistance or Ohm. The lambda (oxygen) sensor is fooled by the Lambda Emulator to provide the 'correct' stoichemetric reading - although it is now incorrect at CNG-mode.

With EFI-Mixer-Fumigation technology, you have a Carburetor-Engine on CNG-mode, and an EFI-Engine Management System for petrol-mode. In conclusion, EFI-mixer conversion is in fact a CARBURETOR on CNG.

Incidentally, the Throttle Body's buttervalve has become the Buttervalve for your newly-introduced 'CNG Mixer Carburetor Unit'. The entire Throttle Body is converted into a Big & Long Intake Manifold. This technology can lead to backfires.

Thus, EFI-CNG Fumigation technology is actually Gas carburetor system. On CNG mode, your vehicle is No longer intelligent.

EFI & Sequential Gas Injection

To prevent Gas Carburetor-mode, your vehicle can be installed with Sequential Gas Injection. Holes will be drilled nearest to your engine Intake Valve at an angle, and injector giggler (tips) will be inserted. The gigglers are used to spray CNG directly into your combustion chambers.

In fact, the CNG Sequential Gas Injector operates like your Petrol Injectors, but it sprays purely CNG. Each injector spray a metered volume of CNG on what we can as 'pulse width' or duration of the injector remains open to spray in gas. The longer it remans open, more CNG will be injected in at 40psi or 3 bar.

Programming the CNG Injector pulse width is very important, and you need to understand Fuel Mapping vs Ignition Mapping. This EFI-Sequential Gas Injection is like Petrol Injection Technology.
    Economy With Security And Durability.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good choice of car. I dont think that there are limitations of installing CNG in this car. My advice don't install CNG for it will spoil most of the fun. It has great transmission flexibility and if you drive on low RPM's it can give you good milage.

Having said its your decision and regarding good CNG installation joint Spectra can advise something!
    Perfect Male...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks....i don't see many steermatics on the road but the car is awesome and the transmission if kewl!!!!...i wish people over here start to think that there is a world of good cars besides rollas (corolla). Anyway i just need comments from anyone who actually has CNG in their steermatic.

I know CNG will spoil the fun, but I am just an oridinary driver with no "need for speed" but if needed I can always switch over to petrol mode .......

I am pretty sure my car can fly with 110bhp and light weight

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@gogadrum

Nice to see that you like the car. I drove it for 3 months and enjoyed it a lot. Had to sell for personal reasons to a very nice gentleman who I think is still enjoying it.

As said earlier I think you can go ahead with the CNG installation but please bear in mind the transmission because it is related to engine outputs at different RPM's that will be altered in my opinion after CNG.

The car sure flies but also keep one thing in mind that its lacking ABS so it will be a problem to stop it at high accelerations. Though it is better than some other local manufactured cars.
    Perfect Male...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear alll,
    Just bought an year old low mileage steermatic.
    I LOVEd the drive.
    Ok now the finalcial stuff. it gave me a mileage of 6/lit on a crude test of 10 lits. the silencer was emitting water when i drive off the showroom.
    What is the typical mileage of this car?
    I heard the conterpart Vario has a good mileage of 16-18/lit with the advance technology of HONDA.
    i was expected a typical 10 or 12 when perfectly tuned in order to keep it else i will end up installing a cng kit. or may be only using it on special occasions.
    any guys help me by telling me a typical mileage of steermatic on real life situation of the utilization of this vehicle on carefull drive on the roads of khi.
    Thanks,
    Asif.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

nice choice of car brother, here are my comments:

1. Dont think you can CNG your steermatic coz there are many ppl claiming on PW that it will screw the transmission

2. Typical within city milage can vary from 11 to 12km/l with 80% A/C

fyq
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fyq here!

well, NO ANY PROBLEM is there with cng, except if car is a/t it will hav a lil bit slower pick, thts all.
    i hav thread name "CNG related problems", do read tht, will defenately help u.and i m in islamabad.
    let the music play

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Here in Karachi, I'm getting 11-12.5 litres per km. This is steady driving mostly done in D.

A friend recently about a steermatic and was getting about 100 km in half tank. His fuel avg. was around 7 km/l so I told him to replace the air filter and use Caltex fuel. He too is getting around 11 km/l now.
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Buddy thanx a lot for the replies.
    hmm air filter... is not there an oxygen sensor in the exhaust which actually cover the clogging of filters in the Honda cars.....i am not sure but i thought so..ofcourse the car will be suffocating with dirty filter but it should have no effect on milage as long as that sensor is regulating the fuel injection ....
    hmmmm caltex gas, is steermatic designed for high octane... i did not get a user manual with my vehicle. I will really apreciate if i may get a copy or a scan doc of user manual. I will be much obliged....
    cheers,
    Asif.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Edited....

fyq
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well, deep discission can confuse you, u can call me anytime or even meet me, i can might explain u the whole chakkar
    let the music play

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I know two people who completely destroyed their Steermatics transmission after CNG.

I would not advise you to take such a risk.
    ProSpeed Imports -- www.prospeedimports.com -- Car parts direct from USA, Japan & Europe to your doorstep! Email us at special.requests@prospeedimports.com. Don't forget to ask about our special car wrapping, change the color of your car without changing the paint ;-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

is steermatic designed for high octane
    Steermatic is not really designed for high-octane.
    ProSpeed Imports -- www.prospeedimports.com -- Car parts direct from USA, Japan & Europe to your doorstep! Email us at special.requests@prospeedimports.com. Don't forget to ask about our special car wrapping, change the color of your car without changing the paint ;-)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yaar I suggested Caltex gasoline. High-Octane or not that depends upon your pocket. But I always get 1-1.5 extra km/l whenever i fill my steermatic with high-octane
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^ yes but the cost/benefit of additional mileage comes at a premium price. You dont really get higher mileage then in terms of cost, you could just fill additional fuel at the same price (regular).

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The manual states that honda city ie both IDSI and VTEC are designed to run on 87 RON in india and pakistan. However the same manual recommends 91 RON in other countries.
    The word politics is derived from the word poly meaning, many & the word ticks,meaning blood sucking parasites

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@cylestyne
    You just thwarted my cng ambitions. I have been researching on cng in steermatic for a quite a while and though i have heard of tranny failures on pakwheels but not even my honda dealer was able to confirm them. All they say is that err on the side of caution and stay away from cng. But coming from you i take it seriously.
    The word politics is derived from the word poly meaning, many & the word ticks,meaning blood sucking parasites

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

About the 87 ron, it says the same thing for Civics

Regarding CNG, its a funny story actually-- the guy I sold my EXi to had a Steermatic. When we took my car to Honda for an inspection (Sh-e-faisal) to finalise the sale, I learnt that this unkill had a Steermatic, which he conveniently CNGed and ended up blowing the transmission. His car had been stranded for 2 months at that point without Honda being able to source the transmission from Lahore, it was still stranded when I sold him my car, donno what happened afterwards :|

Then I know another chap through a friend who had the exact same experience.

If I supported CNG and wanted to CNG a Steermatic, these two stories would keep me far away

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

*shudders* I am being wooed away from cng by the anti-cng gang.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List