Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default sqealing brakes...city..!!

hi @all
    guy here im wid the 1st maintanance issue of my beloved ride.which turned 1 yr old @9pm today(30-10-2007)

there a small problem wid the brakes.they r producing sqealing sounds.the car has done 33000kms nd hav had enough abuse by me
    do i need to replace sumthin..?? what?? discs..?? pads..??? or what..also,if u can,plz tell me the price frm honda dealers..

another question,i might hav to run my car in the present condition till next sunday i think...cuz its not free before...so is it damgerous to run the car wid brakes like these..??
    plz shed sum light...!!!

thanx in advance.......
    When the power of love exceeds the love for power, the world will finally know peace=Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

any 1..?? no 1..??
    When the power of love exceeds the love for power, the world will finally know peace=Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

go to a honda 3S dealership, get brake service along with brake pad replacement. car should be OK then..best of luck!

as far as pricing is concerned, locate a dealer near you through the honda website and call em up!
    Bees waal 4 life

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

when sound comes when u apply brakes......the problem is ususally wid da wheel alignment........i had this problem........

i can only tell if i see ur car....and

i`ll suggest go and get ur alignment checked and then `brake shoes`

i think problem is wid one of them.....

from how long the sound is coming??

and have u recently just driven ur car on bumpy roads....?????
    I love to over rev!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

time to change the car... lol...kiding

yup take it to 3s dealership....get it checked most probably brake pads need to be changed
    Life Sucks without VTEC =P

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dude the squeal is coming from front disc brakes which is a sign that they require change, not sure about the current price so i guess you can have them replaced (preferebly with genuine pads) from Honda

this is normal and no need worry, this just means that time to change the front brake pads
    Hail to the King Baeeeebay!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@akbar
    yes thats wat i was thinking.
    @shariq
    the sound comes constantly...u keep driving it keeps sqealing.when i press the break..the sound disappears
    the sound is there for 2-3 days.
    @retrograde
    what must b changed..??? disk or the pad..???
    im planning to change frnd disk pads.plus disk if required.nd rear brake shoes also i think i shud replace now..

guys 1 question is still un-answered...is it safe to drive it..?? for atleast this weak..??

thannx to all...!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

it means that ur discs have a problem most probabaly!!!!!!......bcoz it disappears.....

i think it`s safe........

some times it happens that ur discs r loose......
    I love to over rev!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

During periodic 3S checkups after every 10K breaks are checked, opened and serviced and worne out parts are replaced. It is a good practice to follow this preventive maintenance schedule. These check ups cost a bit, but they save a lot and vital to the safety of the vehicle and the driver.

I hope you had a check up between 0-33000kms.
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Just get the pads changed and shoes checked, they might need replacement or adjustment, dont worry its not a big deal and you can drive for another week but do get it serviced A.S.A.P.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sure, you can drive it for a while. The squealing sound is produced by brake dust getting rubbed against the rotor when you apply breaks. The brake pads that you have on now have caused grooving on the rotors after these many miles of use. Break dust, which is extremely fine and very hazardous, if inhaled, is now settling in those groves. When you apply breaks, the brake pads rub this dust against the rotors causing this awful squealing noise. Brake dust is the worn out by product of brake pads. Make sure that you get the rotors resurfaced when you go for service. Your service shop should check the thickness of the rotors before resurfacing them. If they are too ground down, replace them. Otherwise they will not be able to dissipate heat properly and would warp.

As I mentioned earlier, you can drive the car safely for a while. As long as your breaks are not making GRINDING noise, you will be fine. That DOES NOT mean that you can keep driving it for weeks. Just days. Get it serviced at your earliest convince.
    My opinions, suggestions and thoughts are strictly my own. I reserve the right to be human and make mistakes.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ASA all,
    Hmm why dont you take the wheel off and have a look at it yourself?
    I replace the brake pads, and the discs myself, and it isnt a big job at all. Only takes about 25 minutes altogether to replace the brake pads. you can first have a look, if you can see excessive wear in the pads, or the disk and have a general look around the wheel hub to see the state of things. Many people have many different experiences, so you will hear many different things. But the most definite answer will only be when the actual situation is viewed in person
    But I agree with some others, it doesnt sound like anything serious unless you hear GRINDING noises, which most definitely would mean the brake pad has worn excessively, and the metal is grinding against the disc.
    Taking the wheen off is not a big job, and its better to learn the skills yourself then, cos you can use the skill and toolds next time again.
    Good luck.
    "Inna mal a'maalu binniya"
    "Actions are based upon intentions"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@autophile
    forget it....the biggest mistake i ever made was to get that 20k kms inspection frm the sgd dealer of honda...those guys *uck...!!! ruined brakes...itni tight kr di brakes k gari chal he nahi rahi thi...just like brake jammed.so i did'nt took my car there after it to get inspection done again

@all guys thank u very much...
    @gamezbnd
    today i took off the wheel nd tried to open the pads but could'nt...i think there r only 2 nuts to open it..?? right.?? but there were damn hard to open nd i did'nt had right tools....the disks had slight ups nd downs in them.does that mean i hav to change the disc..??

once again thanx all of u helping guys...!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ahmadbila
    ASA,
    Thats good progress bro. There usually are only two bolts to take off the caliper. But dont worry, you dont usually need to take the pads out to check their condition. usually you should be able to see the pads without taking the calipers off. Use a torch (not a cig lighter pls) etc to see clearly after taking the wheel off. look through the caliper and you will see the pads around the disk on both sides of the disk.
    Also pls dont use the wrong tool to open those bolts. Not even an adjustable spanner. Use a fixed head spanner or a socket only. Pliers, adjustable spanners, grippers etc will slip and spoil the bolt. Its better to buy some good quality tools as they will last forever. At least thats what I did

Also dont worry about replacing the disc. If the disc is not too think (not worn a lot) then you can usually take it to an engineering shop (its called KHARADYAA in Pakistan) and the can smooth it for you and straighten it for you if bent etc. Buut you can check that when the caliper is taken off.
    Also if I was you, I would try to download/buy a workshop manual for Honda City. try a google search etc to see if it exists. It will explain all step by step instructions on how to fix almost the whole car.
    Hope this info helps.
    "Inna mal a'maalu binniya"
    "Actions are based upon intentions"

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List