Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default +++City Vario Performance on CNG+++

AOA,

Guys I want to know the performance of city vario on CNG as soon i will be purchasing one. I heard that auto city sucks on CNG n tried to search on PW abt this but could not found conclusive info. So any one can plz help me about this, thanks.

R.I.P. Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

any city vario users on CNG plz jump in

GLI
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I drive a vario on petrol, so I doubt I will be of any help. But I'd like to point out the obvious, that CNG is just an alternative of petrol as a fuel, and therefore to say that the transmission will not work, or cause problems is senseless. As many members have pointed out, if CNG is installed from a good reputeable mechanic, you shouldnt get any problems. Ive seen plenty of Lancer's A/T(which is CVT btw) running perfectly on CNG and a few Vario's too! Best of luck!
    A revolution against the jahil of this nation!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

it's entirely upto you but i've warned in advance!!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i drove the vario CNG of my relative a bit and the drive is pretty good, sure you loose about 30% power but u really feel that if you wanna put the pedal to the metal, for every day sensible driving you wont feel any power loss
    Hail to the King Baeeeebay!!!!

R.I.P. Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well power loss is not an issue for me I can live happily with a little bit of power loss, my real concern is that ll it b possible to run the car on CNG with long time of period with no damage to it

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Getting vario converted to CNG is fine - as long as you go to a repuatable CNG conversion workshop and get all the right stuff.. Emulator + Advancer + Lambda (either emulator or whole control unit)....

With lamda control unit you should expect not to face RPM drop or any setting problem (missing - lean/rich mixture) - but if it happens - you can easily feel that on CNG, always switch back to petrol - take it to tuning shop and get it checked. As long as you dont run it on CNG when it is dropping RPM (stalling on idle) or mixture is not right - it will not harm your car's transmission.

If however you keep on pulling it - running while it has a setting issues (RPM drop or mixture ) you may end up causing some damage to its automatic cvt gear box.

I believe driving in such condition will do harm to any automatic car's transmission - it could be just that CVT is a bit sensitive and may get damaged earlier.

Have a friend running his Vario on CNG (Emulator + Advancer only ) and he has not faced a single issue - about 20,000 km driven on CNG. It's a 2007 vario.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

There is no problem with Vario or CNG - you just need to understand what could cause a damage and just manage it by avoiding driving it on CNG in that condition...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mirza yasir

things you need to know,

I dont have a vario, i have never driven vario with cng installed, I do have honda civic 2002 1.5 exi prosmatec which is auto transmisiion on cng ..

Honda City VArio has a Continous Variable Transmission CVT, which means that there are unlimited Gear combination that it can make , it mostly drives by keeping the engine at a constant rpm where it shud get best economy and it keeps on changing gears to accelerate..
    Which means that the gearbox has to do a lot of work.

i am sumwat a petrol head myself, and i tune all my cars myself, having the civic automatic on cng taught me a few lessons by experience which are...

1. The best the car tuning, the easier the work is for the transmission and torque convertor,

2. if the tuning of the car is messed up, and its not generating good power, the tranmission will be unable to change gears at the right time, and more often it will be found in the wrong gear with the orque convertor trying to compensate for it,

3. the kick down time affect increases, as first the torque convertor tries to change the ratio and deliver power out of the same gear...causing excess wear and tear,

4. THe better the engine tuning, the easier it is for the tranmission to do its work.

All the above experience is from a 4 speed prosmatec transmission wiht a 1.5 liter engine on cng.

The CVT transmission is a lot more complex and it has to do a lot more work, as it makes and changed between many many more gears as compared to just the 4 gears of a conventional automatic tranmission.

in city idsi vario, this complex CVT transmissin is coupled to a 1246 cc engine, which obviously is not known at all for its power generation ailities for a big car like city, so the engine is already on the sluggish side ,

when this sluggish engine will be forced to run on cng, there will be a further power loss of around 20% on average.. and it might increase with the usage as the car will need tuing from time ti time...

so the transmissoin would lierally go bizzare with changing too many gears... and will wear out.. as there are no metal gears in the gearbox, and there are pulleys and belts making gears with oil pressure.... the tranmission is very likely to say bye bye...

How can it be saved, and why some people have no complaints?

1.It is very common that automatic trasmissoins are not used as they are supposed to be used, this is the major reason that people dont like automatic transmissoins, it is because they dont know how to use t properly, if used properly, in the right selection as the situation needs, you prevent a lot of wear and tear in the suspension.

2. making sure that your engine is producing the maximum power all the time, getting very regular tuneups, or getting a Lambda control kit fitted to manage CNG input. This will result in reducing the powerloss as compared to petrol.

3. The driving habbit, routine and route, Auto transmissions are very hapy when they are driven at constant speeds for long interval of times. not stuck in bad traffic at school or rush hours. if you are a freeway driver then your car and its transmissoin will last long.

My suggestion: Get a 2003-2006 Exi prosmatec 1.5 liter, CNG fitted. to be in absolute peace of mind.

hope this helps you to understand some issues regarding auto transmissions n cng
    Do the environment a favour, Use less airconditioning .. and please walk to the shop to get a pack of cigarretes..its only a 3 min walk..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mirza_yasir,

Ive a city vario 2k4 on CNG, and there have been no siisues so far. it working great, the pick is quite gud, but with the AC iturned on; there is slight power loss.

And if you ask me, i'll recomend u to go for the conversion but be careful to go to a reputable workshop. i got mey car converted from Al-Mubarak CNG.

I did a lot of research here at Pakwheels and at different workshops too. Here at pakwheels I couldn't find anyone who had faced a transmission failure in person but some people qouted examples of their relatives. However, there were some members who were successfully operating there varios on CNG.

The Honda guyz were against the cng conversio but couldn't give a satisfying reason for that. if u ultimately go for CNG, then plz take care of the following things,

1- Get the CVT transmission oil changed at the recomended interval

2- Keep the car regularly tuned for CNG.

3- DOn't push the car too hard on CNG, u can alwayz shift to petrol on steep slopes etc.

4- And above all, get it installed from a reputable installer, get the advancer and if possible tha lambda control.

Hope this Helps.............
    1)Merdcedes W124-Daily driven, 2)Toyota FJ70 RKR-Reliable offroader, 3)Mitsubishi Pajero Shogun-Comfy workshorse, 4)M38A1-Fun ride, 5)Daewoo Racer- Econimically reliable

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have a city vario 2004 model... i got it converted in the same year... earlier it was without an advancer and was working fine in a sense tht there was no gear noose or anything.. but in summers car would move very slowy with an ac on so got an advancer in it.. dont know which advancer is it... around the same time .. i got the 40 k check up and got the oil changed from Honda... due to their negligence oil some leaked out and had to get more poured in... around that time i noticed that while reversing the car teh rpm drops...other wise car was working fine... gradually the car got worse...
    now currently the codition is that rpm drops in even petrol when a/c in turned on and when your car is in neutral... during morning the car takes 5-7 mins before it starts moving... if you try to accelerate the car in this condition , the gear light D starts to blink...
    now from some mechanics i have got the advice to buy a "kabli" gear box... other advice to change gear oil...other have no clue wht they are talking about...
    if you know about any mechanic in pindi/isb who knows this stuff kindly tell me his address so i can the righ verdict on this...
    secondly i have been driving for over an year on petrol but nw cant afford it... so cng is a must but these problems have to get solved...so guys help me out !

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

told you, mamoo sold his off after the second incident. the driver told me the third time was round the corner...........

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@khizar
    I know this technician in lahore who can help u. His name is jameel and his workshop called logas is on peco road near toyota township motors near kot lakhpat railway station. Apparently this guy has a bad reputation on pakwheels because of an incidence involving a member spitfire. Having said that i still recommend him in ur situation as he is the only person that i know of who has successfully resolved this issue, that too for a fellow pakwheeler (steermatic06).
    The word politics is derived from the word poly meaning, many & the word ticks,meaning blood sucking parasites

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List