1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Arch Rivals Series #1- Baleno 98 vs City 98

I have started the Arch Rivals series... here we will compare any two cars which were direct competitors to each other. They shared pretty much the same looks, specs, features, price tag & same engine category. Based on our experiences, as many of us must have.. discuss the pros n cons of these cars...

The first competition will be Baleno 1998 against City 1998

BALENO

The Arch Rivals Series #1- Baleno 98 vs City 98 -543576

The Arch Rivals Series #1- Baleno 98 vs City 98 -543577

CITY

The Arch Rivals Series #1- Baleno 98 vs City 98 -543578

The Arch Rivals Series #1- Baleno 98 vs City 98 -543579

so lets go on...
    if tc=p then hc=m where tc is equal to toyota corolla and p is equal to paindu, and hc is equal to honda civic and m is equal to moron

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i would prefer honda city over baleno any time
    sach karwa hota hay

SIG
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

BALENO
    Engine is good
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

both were good cars.
    but i would go for the city.
    the 1.5 NEO was one hell of a great car.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@extremefaizan , IF ure to consider a 1.5 then id consider a 1.6 baleno....over it (not gti coz it wasnt actually gti its a normal 1.6 SOCH) kheir taking abt the 2 ladies .......baleno luks better.......better interior........suzukis 98s build quality is as gud as any honda.......or even better ....umm........wat else.........yar sum body told me that baleno in 98 was priced lyk civic exi in 98 correct me if im wrong.........
    Get over the fact that Xli lacks power windows, Its an Xli because it lacks thoose features or else it would be a Gli or an Altis if had all the goodies.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well mate.depends on what different ppl perceive.i'd choose a Honda over a Suzuki any day.the fact that the Neo was a seriosly fast car even though it had a 1.5 ltr engine is enough to put it ahead of the Baleno.and whether its build quality was better then the Honda,now that is surely a doubt.
    cheers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

acha i dunnoe yar i havent had experiences wid a neo.......but i have authentic nws that wen suzuki build this beast there was this official race b/w a 1.6gli(corola) a vti and baleno.1.6,,,,,,,,baleno started ov in a lead then civic leaded but due to low weight ....baleno won...........(correct me if im wrong ) and ive heard baleno 1.6s breaks wernt as ov a 1.6s should be
    Get over the fact that Xli lacks power windows, Its an Xli because it lacks thoose features or else it would be a Gli or an Altis if had all the goodies.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

early balenos use to have suspension problem and were also called back by pak suzuki, true?
    if tc=p then hc=m where tc is equal to toyota corolla and p is equal to paindu, and hc is equal to honda civic and m is equal to moron

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

baleno as its engine was vry powerful

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

any user opinions?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i have owned a '99 baleno myself besides my close relatives have had 98 citys too..my personal opinion is that the build quality of the baleno in that era was superb and the ride comfort i would say is on par with its rival. Besides the biggest advantage it had was that baleno had an EFI engine (carbys are khuwaree in my opinion). Baleno here gets my vote, but given the choice id go for 1.5 NEO City
    Bees waal 4 life

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@lotus.....ive used baleno 98,,,,currently own a 2005,,,,,,,,,,,,
    so wen considering engine power baleno leads......i dun the hps of both the cars.........interior bhee baleno is better luking .......if it was for the facelifted city.....id go for it em a big fan of that city....but the interior remains the same.........eventually if i have money to get both ill get both............werna ill stick to baleno.........

ya they were called bak but the issue was resolved theirs also news that those were made in japan so the susupension was according to japan......

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I really like the 'Arch Rivals' idea, but sadly i'm pretty sure 95 % of these topics would end up in fights and heated arguments just because Mr.A who owns Rival 1 would never accept that the other car is actually a better buy; and vice-versa.
    I hope we dont get to see something like this for a change.

Btw, I'd really like to see people giving their decisions with proper reasoning on as many aspects of the car as possible. Dont just type in the name of the car you think looks better.
    RX-7? An RX-7? Really? I hope you know it's just a sports car with a washing machine under the hood.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks gem_guy

the reason to start this thread is to share knowledge & opinions... perhaps as long as there's no honda toyota comparison, there wont be any fight

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The EURO NCAP test ratings for both the cars...

Baleno:

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/suzuki...o_1998/42.aspx

The Arch Rivals Series #1- Baleno 98 vs City 98 -828808

data for city is not available, if anyone has, please post here

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

amazed to see how honda carried on research before developing honda city, herez an article from their site:
    The Honda City Success Story: Setting the New World Standard for Compact, Four-Door, Family Sedans

Bangkok, March 31, 1997 --- The Asia-Pacific region's successful economic development over the last two decades has resulted in a rapid increase in per capita incomes in many countries and the emergence of a growing middle class.

These conditions in turn have created a favorable environment for the development of indigenous automobile industries in many countries with mass motorization usually regarded as taking off when per capita incomes reach Baht 100,000 (US$4,000) per year.

Monitoring these developments carefully, Honda Motor Co., Ltd., one of the world's largest manufacturers of engine-powered products, identified a major market opportunity which was not being adequately served by any international automobile manufacturer.

The market opportunity in question was the rapidly growing number of first time automobile owners, who, our extensive market research indicated, were not being well served by the existing range of entry-level models.

Honda's research, carried out in a number of countries throughout the region, identified the following characteristics as being the most important to achieve customer satisfaction in this strategic market segment :

Body size : The desired vehicle should be compact in size but with a minimum wheelbase of 2,500 mm in length and 1690 mm in width to provide ample interior space for a family and excellent driving stability.

Performance : The engine should produce acceleration performance equivalent to 95 bhp with good fuel economy.

Comfort : The vehicle should possess excellent ergonomics, providing a spacious passenger cabin, good ride characteristics and a high level of standard equipment.

Safety : Both active and passive safety systems should be state-of-the-art.

Price : While price was very important, potential customers indicated that excellent "value-for-money" was even more important. They recognized that anybody could build a cheap car, simply by utilizing old technology and providing minimum equipment levels. But this was not what they wanted. They wanted a vehicle that offered modern styling and technology, a vehicle that offered "pride in ownership".

It was with these customer-driven requirements in mind that Honda set out to create "the new world standard, compact, four-door, family sedan."

At the early stages of development Honda's engineers expected to use an existing model's platform on which to build this new model. Such an approach would have minimized development costs.

However, this idea was quickly abandoned as it became clear that the only efficient way to meet this new customer segment's expectations was to design an entirely new model from the ground up.

Thus the City was born.

In April, 1996 the world launch of the Honda City took place in Bangkok. These first City sedans were manufactured at Honda's new Baht 4,000 million auto manufacturing facility in Ayutthaya. Working closely with local parts suppliers Honda's engineers achieved an unprecedented 70 per cent local content which contributed to the City's competitive pricing.

With the City, Honda's engineers and product development team achieved, in fact, exceeded the performance targets established by the earlier market research.

In terms of performance, safety, comfort, body size and "best value-for-money" the City excelled.

Customer reaction was exceptional. Through February 1997 14,353 units have been sold in Thailand and the City achieved a dominant 66 per cent market share in the under Baht 450,000 price segment in 1996.

In addition to its success in Thailand, the City has also taken other Asian auto markets by storm. It has been launched with local production in Indonesia, Taiwan, the Philippines, Malaysia, and, most recently, in January 1997, in Pakistan, supported by Honda's regional parts complementation programme.

Total City units sold and delivered across Asia up until the end of February 1997 amount to 25,614, helping Honda to achieve record sales in Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines and Taiwan.

And now comes the City 1500 with more power and enhanced safety and comfort features, offering even greater "value-for-money".

With the City, Honda has established a new world standard for compact, four-door, family sedans. With the City 1500 Honda aims to confirm the City's status as the car by which all others in its class are judged.

"Best-in-class" performance, "best-in-class" comfort and "best-in-class" safety. The Honda City 1500 delivers

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

NEO anytime. GTi Baleno was fast fer sure but had major handling issues ... tailing, bad breaks etc. Saw one whip a VTi (Auto) like 5 times back to back!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My vote goes to
    "Baleno"
    (y) ...!
    --- Bmw is not in my blood - It's in my DNA!! --- Admin/Founder/Recruiter @ Pwcid ---

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

any idea about the sales figure??? i gues the city was jap assembled while the 98 baleno was locally assembled... right?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i have a baleno 1.6 gti (2000) and its really powerfull and brakes are also good
    work is healthy activity so leave it for sick people

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List