0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question Catalytic Converter Problems

I have a Civic 2008, barely done 40,000 KM and I noticed a huge dip in fuel efficiency. I'm generally quick to push the pedal and so my civic's fuel efficiency is low, but recently it touched 8 KM/liter. Thats just shocking!
    Also, in second gear, when I have the accelerator lightly pressed, the car jerks every now and then.

I believe I have a bad Catalytic Converter, and a quick googling lead me to this great site:

What Causes a Bad Catalytic Converter? | eHow.com

I have another civic 1.8 (2007 model), which had its catalytic converter problem and we recently got it taken out. The sad thing is there were eight other civics at the repair shop getting the same thing done!

In the US, the catalytic converters have a life of over 100K miles, thats 160,000 KM!! And yet, reading through different posts, it seems in Pakistan the life is around 40,000 KM.

If its a fuel issue, we, the consumers should be fuming. We pay excessively for fuel (no subsidization, in fact huge profit making by the refinery's), and yet the quality of fuel we're getting is crap. Bad fuel is another form of tax, that we pay through regular engine maintenance, health bills due to excessive air pollution of using low fuel, and bad fuel economy!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dude i dont know how much you were getting on your civic before cuz if you are getting 8( in city driving) i think you are getting really cool mileage cuz i myself get 7 or sometimes 8 and my other friends get 7 - 8 max

yes if pick has dropped thn high chances that your catalytic converter screwed. ready for around 40k duz - - i saw people normally removing the converter and running without it as they give a dam about euro 4 compliance

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lahores traffic pattern is much different then Khi's so yes 8 km/l is a pretty bad average.

Get your civic checked from Honda and if they say it's the Cat Converter then get it removed.

These things fail here due to the really really polluted petrol we get here. This is why you should use a decent mixture of High Octane. And every now and then get a tank full of it.
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My milage in city (lahore) used be 10 to 9.5. Motorway was 13 (km/liter).

I'll pay honda a visit, since my car is still in warranty, I'll ask that they replace it. From my past experiences of warranty claiming, I know its going to be a challenge

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

our fuel is leaded,.. this causes damage to the catalytic converter.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its our fuel; its totally crap.
    ProSpeed Imports -- www.prospeedimports.com -- Car parts direct from USA, Japan & Europe to your doorstep! Email us at special.requests@prospeedimports.com. Don't forget to ask about our special car wrapping, change the color of your car without changing the paint ;-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cylestyne View Post
    Its our fuel; its totally crap.
    asher, have you ever put petrol in a bottle and allowed the impurities to settle? i was shocked when i did it, it's a wonder our fuel filters aren't always blocked...
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by alisyed_lahore View Post
    My milage in city (lahore) used be 10 to 9.5. Motorway was 13 (km/liter).

I'll pay honda a visit, since my car is still in warranty, I'll ask that they replace it. From my past experiences of warranty claiming, I know its going to be a challenge

Its going tobe but you have to be a lil rough on them claiming your rights and telling them u wernt driving on Petrol, if the fuel caused it and they arent responsible then there not suppose to manufacture such a car, As Toyota has yet to give the D4D deisel engines but they fail to launch them as low quality Deisel is still there.
    Get over the fact that Xli lacks power windows, Its an Xli because it lacks thoose features or else it would be a Gli or an Altis if had all the goodies.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well though this seems like a Honda civic problem, but does any one know wether the new corolla also has a catlytic converter. Cause if it has i would also wanna get it checked ?

I know that many imported premio have gotten their catalytic converter removed.

Anyways to answer some people who say that getting catalytic coverter removed is a bad thingh, it infact is a good thingh when you converter is choked as the carbon monoxide emission that is produced from a choked converter is much much higher than the one without a converter. so alisyed cheers and do get rid of that converter before you do the enviroment more damage
    You only live once, so stay hungry stay foolish !

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I dont think you will get LEADED MOGAS anywhere in PK. All the OM companies, as far as I know, are ISO certified and you cannot get Leaded gas on any of these. Infact, there are very few countries who still produces leaded gas.

Actually, PK is exporting Naphtha, which is base product for MOGAS and if it is leaded then no shipping company will accept it on their ships, other countries is a far cry.

The issues with CC on Honda maybe design or fitting issues, I don't think it has anything to do with fuel. As its said earlier, its a simple honeycomb construction with usually Rhodium in it which reacts with emissions and turn them to more friendly gases.

There is a possibility that the mesh in CC could have been clogged due to the buildup of soot, which usually happens in urban runs or due to bad combustion. If its fuel related then it will cause cracks (as shown in the link) on the CC body which can be inspected.

Just imagine, whats the worst can happen to drain cover in your shower or kitchen? Clogged, all the holes cannot melt down to form a thick solid plate.

Cheers,
    Kaleem

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Our country has definitely one of the worst(impure) petrol and diesel supplied. I think Cng gives much less harm to catalytic convertor.As it is much purer than other fules. My liana ff cng has catalytic converter and it is not giving me any acceleration or mileage problems (33000km driven mostly on CNG)
    Digitalphotofreaks.com
    The Photography Forums

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Somer
    Toyota Corolla Altis 2005 and all latter models of Altis are equipped with Catalytic converter.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@xain

yr using a car with pretty good performance engine in its class, just imagine what would happen if you used right fuel for that.

(you dont have to mention what car I am talking about otherwise this topic will go offtrack)
    ,,, unless you know the track, you're not good enough to sit behind the wheel." K T

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

update: I was told the catalytic converter was NOT in the warranty. But they said the issue of car being jerky, low economy is likely due to fuel distributor (or something like that) requiring clean up, which requires a 40K service. I asked that they verify the working of the catalytic converter - which they tested by taking it on a test run on the roads. I wasnt impressed at all with the "scientific" process employed by the engineers at Honda 3S. On my insistence, they even got an engineer from Honda factory to test run it. I mentioned the process of measuring intake vs out gas temperature to assess the correct working (as its the proper way of testing) to which they responded that they do not have such tools.

Anyway, I've just gotten the 40K service done and the car still doesnt pick up as it used to in the initial days, so I'm going to change my fuel station and then see how the results look.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i know its a bit off the topic but does santro has a catalytic converter, as my car 38k done runs pretty bad on petrol with alot of knocking, its otherwise ok on cng thourgh....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Warning Light Indicator (Dash Board)

i have cultus club 1986 and recently its one of warning light contiounsly on & i have found through web site that its Catalytic converter light .

please advise how to fix this problem keep in mind the model of my vehicle its 1986 Cultus

Catalytic Converter Problems - 100898 Catalytic Converter   Problems cultus warning light
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Warning Light Indicator (Dash Board)

Catalytic Converter Problems - 100899 Catalytic Converter   Problems cultus warning light

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Catalytic Converter Problems - 100900 Catalytic Converter   Problems catalyict converter

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So is the removal of catalytic converter advised ?? If yes, how is it done? Any silencer wala will do it? What's the expenditure?
    A Post-Wh0re is a user who's only aim in life is to increase his post count. He/she gets off by receiving likes and mentions, and considers his post count a medal on his skinny chest. A post-Wh0re is the human equivalent of Chihuahua..bickering pointlessly, effortlessly, permanently.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bango View Post
    So is the removal of catalytic converter advised ?? If yes, how is it done? Any silencer wala will do it? What's the expenditure?

Removing the catalytic converter in a car equipped with it is a BAD idea.

When such a car is first started, the ECU operates in Open Loop mode, i.e. it is using fixed air-fuel maps based on coolant temperature.

Once the engine heats up, the ECU enters the Closed Loop mode, where it uses the O2 sensors to continuously adjust the air:fuel mixture as close to 14.7:1 as possible under varying loads and throttle positions. This obviously helps optimum performance and fuel economy.

In a car with catalytic converter, there are two O2 sensors (for each bank of cylinders), one upstream and one downstream. The ECU compares the readings of both these sensors to determine the efficiency of the catalytic converter to reduce emissions.

If the catalytic converter is now removed, the downstream O2 sensor will tell the ECU that the catalytic converter is not operating at required efficiency.

In most, not all, cars this will force the ECU into the Open Loop mode. Now the car is running on a fixed air:fuel map and is unable to adjust the mixture as it needs to maintain optimum operation.

(If now the coolant sensor is also disconnected, the mixture will be turned rich by default. And now you have a classically buggered engine, Pakistani style. )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

User Tag List