Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Civic 98 ac compressor bad sound is repairable ??

JUE
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Civic 98 ac compressor bad sound is repairable ??

Asalaamu Alaikum

Plz. advise my Civic 98 AC giving Bad sound on AC Start..is compressor repairable?? or suggest for replacement..ac cooling is still good.

Thanks

-Syed Akram Ali

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JUE View Post
    Asalaamu Alaikum

Plz. advise my Civic 98 AC giving Bad sound on AC Start..is compressor repairable?? or suggest for replacement..ac cooling is still good.

Thanks
    Walaikum us Asalam!

My Altis is having the same issue!! It gives whistling sound whenever u switch on the AC!! My rough guess was that its bering needs replacement. I touched the market and got to know that it is not repairable. The only solution is to change the compressor. I checked the Lahore Market and got the following rates (my Altis is 2005 model);

1. Brand New compressor from Toyota Walton Motors is costing around Rs. 33,000 + AC service and gas filling charges.

2. Senden Compressor can be fitted in this car and it is costing around Rs. 12-13,000!! Senden is not recommended though, because its sound is ALOT!!

3. Kabli compressor from Bilal Gunj has different prices varying from Rs. 7,000 to 10,000 depending upon the condition. I saw one in great condition, almost brand new, having all the company seals and marks and they guy was asking Rs. 10,000 for it!! I was more then interested to buy it but my mechanic didnt let me buy it! He was of the view that my compressor is still okay and the sound is negligible and it can still work for this whole season easily. Though is strongly regret my decision of listening to him that time!! that was really in mint condition and the guy even agreed to give warranty of 60 days (went there through a contact)!!

But i will definitely change it someday because its sound hurts!! if something needs change, u must change it!! Because it not only solve the issues but also save you from other penalties which it can project on, if left un-attended!
    Its the devotion to work, not the resources which makes a nation to stabilize.The need of the hour is to assure people a decent standard of living, education, employment and social and economic security so that they feel stable and contented !!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

They are repairable - if in the hands of a pro, the biggest problem is seating the centre shaft seal on the G-rotor, Find a good professional - he would have the proper tools to fix it.

I gave my seal jig to a guy in Karachi who has a car A/C business
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if it is of Sanden then it can be repaired otherwise replacement its better to replace it by qabli one coz eventually u will face gas leakage problem

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The unit is a Sanden design and it is repairable from the centre cartridge - The biggest thing is that WHO is repairing it.. Its not everyones business.

Anyway - Why is it that I see so many A/C failures in Pak, When a system is fixed to factory standards it runs for ages
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    The unit is a Sanden design and it is repairable from the centre cartridge - The biggest thing is that WHO is repairing it.. Its not everyones business.
    Sooner or later, it LEAKS!! may be this season it performs well, but it will give you the problem/issue in next year!
    Change is the only solution as per my research on the informationn available on internet and visits of AC service centres in Lahore. Whenever i tell them that its Altis, they node their head to say NO, u have to change it!!
    I remember my 95 civic has the same issues and my AC guys fixed it without replacing the compressor!! and the same guy refused to do it for my Altis!! =/

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    Anyway - Why is it that I see so many A/C failures in Pak, When a system is fixed to factory standards it runs for ages
    I guess after 5 years of continuous service, if they need some money on maintainance, it shouldnt b an issue!! Please consider the environment factor and how rough we use the car air conditioner!! u mite have witnessed many cars standing idle with AC on infront of road side restuarants / burger corners!! these factors matter ALOT in my opinion!!
    Its the devotion to work, not the resources which makes a nation to stabilize.The need of the hour is to assure people a decent standard of living, education, employment and social and economic security so that they feel stable and contented !!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well khizar you maybe right in your experiences, but I can assure you these are repairable, the points to consider are.
    Torquing of the hold bolts correctly
    adjusting rotor side clearances
    refacing the compressor housings flat and sealing with proper non-drip sealant (which I can assure you will have some funny raised eyebrows)..

and about failures - the usual reason I see is that when the A/C starts to falter after a few years of service or insane torture is because the owners then go to the local A/C waali dukaan and ask them to increase cooling somehow - MAGIC - voodoo or just anything stupid like disconnecting the high temp cutoff switch - they fiddle with the fans etc.. not considering that high climatic heat will increase head pressure and the superheat goes skyrocketing.. while the cooling falls on its face.. Just tell the owners to take it easy and tell them that this a tiny disposable vehicle's A/C and not a Mercedes Benz Marcopolo Bus unit

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

anyways - to the OP just go buy a secondhand one.. test with handspinning the clutch..

JUE
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers