Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Exclamation Civic VTI 97 low RPM problem

Hi all,

I recently got my car tuned on petrol. It has a CNG kit installed, but i wanted to see how much it costs on petrol.

Anyhow, i am having problems in driving it on petrol. On CNG i also had the (almost) same issues but i ignored them as just CNG-problems.

In 1st and 2nd gear, when i take my foot off the pedal at around 1500-2000 RPM, the car the car doesnt very smoothly get slow. And if i again press the pedal, it staggers badly 2-3 times before getting smooth. Also i noted that if i let the RPM go down to around 1000 (after taking my foot off at 1500-2000), the car stabilizes a bit and then when i press the pedal, it accelerates much smoother.

This is big problem when im driving in traffic or in areas with speed breakers. And i dont understand what the problem can be. I studied the civic manual and i reckon the engine is D16Y8. The things that i have got done are:

1. Got stock NGK plugs. Removed the Boch 4tips because in all other honda forums, people say that bosch is not at all good for Hondas.

2. Got TPS checked to see if the range is 0.5V-4.5V.

3. Got my fuel pump changed.

4. The air filter is comparatively new. Also i got the Tappets adjusted and throttle body and IAC valve cleaned.

5. Got the CNG emulator/advancer wiring removed from TPS and distributor.

6. Got my injectors cleaned. The car was missing because they were dirty, but now its not missing at least.

I asked a X-Honda person if the O2 sensor could be the problem. He said that there is no O2 sensor in civic 97. Is that true?

I also asked him that maybe the Catalytic converter is bogged up. He said that too this car doesn't have.

He said maybe the Clutch is the problem. Can that be right? He is an electrician so he said he cant be sure.

Also no one in Lahore seems to know about the PCV valve. Online research shows that the PCV valve does play an important role. If anyone has any information where i can get a PCV for my civic, please let me know, because i haven't been able to find one anywhere.

After my experiences with Honda dealership and other various mechanics, i dont trust their troubleshooting anymore. Can anyone who ever experienced such a problem give me some clue as to what can be the problem.

Oh and my car has 182k on the odo and it has been always driven with care (by me at least).

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you have a D16 not a B16 - and your problem is the idle speed control valve is faulty or coked up, the correct way to set idle speed is.

remove wiring connector from ISC, set rpms from idle speed screw to 600 rpms, reconnect wiring plug, it should stabilise at 800 or 850. stop engine, remove battery negative to clear the ISC code, reconnect after a minute, you'll be ok
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the reply. But the problem is not the ISC or like the manual calls it, the "IAC". I did set the idle speed to factory specs at 750+-50 with IAC connector removed. And it does stabilize when i connect it back. Can it be the O2 sensor? Any other ideas?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Today i removed the radiator cap and tried to see if there are "air bubbles". Saw online that air pockets in the cooling system can cause difference in temperatures in different parts of the engine. The air bubbles can be caused by leaky gaskets. Thankfully not a single bubble came up maybe i am doing the procedure wrong, but i am fairly certain now that the cooling system is fine.

What i did notice was that when i started up the car in the morning, it seemed a little better. For like 15 mins. Can it be some temperature sensor? If so, anyone knows the exact name of it?

Also because the throttle body was "cleaned up" some days ago, the RPM was quite high even with the ECM reset. I had already adjusted the idle RPM with the IAC disconnected to 750. Even still, i tool Xulfiqar's advice and lowered it down even further (1.5 rotation clockwise). Surprisingly, most of the problem is gone There is still some staggering acceleration. Any other advice people?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

try oiling the iac - squirt some engine oil in the intake port. for the PCV you should have slight pressure coming out of the oil cap when removed, and diminish when revved slightly, if your engine is fluctuating rpms on removing the oil fill cap, then wash or replace the PCV valve. You can buy it brand new from a dealership parts department
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

your car does not have an 02 sensor - it uses a mixture pot

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ur car has the D16Y6 engine

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks Xulfiqar, will i need to take off the IAC or just squirt the oil from the throttle body? How will it help?

I cant find the PCV anywhere. I even went to Honda City sales and they dont even know what the PCV is. Is it called something else here? Can you recommend me someplace where i can get it for sure?

Ill do the oil cap test today. Thanks for the help.

9. 09-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Reason
    spam

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List