Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda Civic 1995 Engine Problem

Hello everyone!
    I have a 1995 Honda Civic and about 4 days ago it started giving me problem of power loss on pertrol and CNG with rough idling (RPMs rising and falling). The mechanic diagnosed a faulty distributor and also diagnosed the valves as weak or displaced from their seats due to deposition of material from use of CNG. On his recommendation I have changed the distributor with another used one but the engine is till not generating power and idles roughly. The mechanic wants to open the head and replace valves and resurface the head. The car has not been roughly used and has been in my family since new. I am hesitant about opening the head and wish to consult someone who can confirm the possible cause of this power loss and rough idling before i open the head.

The car is not losing oil or overheating. It has done original 166K km and has been in single hand since new. Honda Authorised dealers are hesitant to work on an old car. I am at present in Karachi.

I would be grateful if anyone could recommend to me a reliable mechanic or workshop in Karachi which could diagnose and repair problem of power loss and rough idle on both petrol and CNG.

Thanks!

:-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

any competent mechanic can adjust it, most probable causes are tight valve clearances (tappets), jammed distributor centrifugal advance or mistimed engine (timing belt faulty)

it would be helpful if you write down the maintenance you have been doing on the car, like when was the T-belt changed, when was the engine last adjusted?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

+1 what the above poster said.

and also try to do a visual check yourself in the engine bay. look closely for any cracked rubber pipes esp. the thin vacuum hoses. an engine flush (eg. liqui moly) would be of immense benefit since your engine has done a lot many miles.
    Selling Vitz+local cars - compatible bluetooth Ecu Scantool, High-amp car chargers, Apple-certified Lightning Cables, etc. Click on my name and see my started threads for details.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Smile

@xulfiquar
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I changed the timing belt at 150k km, water body at the same time as it was leaking slightly. I put in an original water body which I found by chance. On inspection now, a few tappets were loose but none were tight or over tight. The engine was last thoroughly inspected in October 2009, almost 2 years ago. I changed the timing belt and water body at the time. As you may judge that I don't drive much.

@ahsanonline
    The engine bay was thorougly inspected a few days ago by my mechanic and could find no leaky hoses or vacuum pipes. Also there is no sign of any oil leakage from any gasket or seal. The car is not driven much and mostly garaged. I will look into the possibilty of an engine flush with liqui moly and see if it has any results.

Thanks to both of you for replying. If you can give me some more tips I would be grateful.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiquar
    I forgot to add that I have been running the car on CNG since it had done about 70-75K km in the year 2000. Start and stop it on petrol and sometimes run it completely on petrol for a few kilometers.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Visit The Tweak Shop owned by pw member Moak89.He is Honda Master.
    DIY The Best Workshop on the Holy Planet!
    Every thing changes,Its only the "change" which never changes.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^well said.
    ''Peace is an unstable equilibrium,that can only be preserved by acknowledged supremacy and...equal power.'' ''We give up the fort when there is not a man left to defend it.''

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@wasay_ahmed
    Thanks. Can you possibly give some address or contact number as I am not familiar with the workshop.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I would do a compression and leak down test to isolate the engine health - it seems that the carburettor is dirty and needs a nice cleaning, remove, dismantle, clean with carb cleaner and completely recondition (kits for this are available in Plaza)

You should also isolate the brake booster from the engine and then test. If the booster diaphragm or the pipe leaks your engine will behave like it has a vacuum leak in the manifold - causing hesitation on acceleration, bad idle like you mention.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    ""Angel Lead""

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up Thanks!

@Xulfiquar, Angel_1
    Thanks a lot, my friends. Intend visiting The Tweakshop tomorrow and see what they suggest. Compression and leak down tests seem a good way to evaluate engine condition. Hope problem is solved in this way without opening the head. Thanks again!!

Will update you all on the results, if any.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    You should also isolate the brake booster from the engine and then test. If the booster diaphragm or the pipe leaks your engine will behave like it has a vacuum leak in the manifold - causing hesitation on acceleration, bad idle like you mention.
    :O!!!! Never knew this, thanks a ton man! A friend has a similar issue and has been cursing for a good few weeks now. I'll be sure to let him know!!!
    Thanks again

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mehran View Post
    @wasay_ahmed
    Thanks. Can you possibly give some address or contact number as I am not familiar with the workshop.
    google it beeter
    DIY The Best Workshop on the Holy Planet!
    Every thing changes,Its only the "change" which never changes.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up Good Job!

@Xulfiquar, wasay_ahmed
    Thanks again. I found the address for shop from their website and visited it yesterday (4 August). Mr Asif (the owner and I think moak89's father) was present there along with their mechanic Amjad. They did a compression test and declared the result satisfactory. All four cylinders were showing around 210 (bars, I think). Next they checked the electrical cables and plugs. All were ok. Finally they tuned the engine for CNG and set RPM around 1100. Mr Asif also recommended servicing the carburettor as I have never had it serviced. He suggested Mahmood in Plaza or Rehman near Tariq Road. For me Tariq Road is more convenient so I might go there.

After visiting The Tweak Shop, the car's idle has become smoother and on the drive back I noticed a little missing once I was coming down a slope in 4th gear and not pressing the accelarator. If I let the car coast without pressing the accelarator it does a little missing.

My next step would be to have the carburettor serviced. I am just waiting for the time to be available to me.

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

good to know its gotten a bit better.

i would still advise you to pour in some liqui moly engine flush. the shop is in blue area back side, plaza opposite to polyclinic. i'll be going there to get two cans, one for my rolla and one for old fx

if you drive mostly on cng and have recently experienced this problem after you started driving on petrol again then it could be a lil carb damage and some dirty valves/ carbon deposits on pistons.
    Selling Vitz+local cars - compatible bluetooth Ecu Scantool, High-amp car chargers, Apple-certified Lightning Cables, etc. Click on my name and see my started threads for details.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

get to the cause of misfiring - if its running on CNG and is misfiring, no amount of carburettor service will remedy it. Its an ignition fault, get the ignition coil checked too - and also test without the brake booster connected, sometimes the large vacuum pipe deteriorates internally and causes leaks, leaks here are seen as vacuum leaks and severe misfire.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ahsanonline
    I intend to use Liqui Moly at the next oil change after 1000km. It should help I hope. My mechanic is also of the opinion that carbon deposition on the valves is cause of the misfiring. But I am hesitant on having the head opened. That why I want to drain all the knowledge you guys have before I open up the engine!

@Xulfiquar
    So far just had compression test done. The spark plugs and cables were checked by different technicians and declared ok. The distributor was replaced with an old but working one. I have not done the brake booster test. Will attempt that soon but I will have to brief my mechanic how to do it as he probably has never heard of such a thing. As for checking the ignition coil I am not sure about it but I hope it is ok. Will have it checked too as soon as I can. And yes it is missing on CNG and petrol both. Although the missing has reduced in intensity after adjusting the engine by Mr Asif and Amjad. Hope this helps for any further tips. I hope it is ok to drive the car in such a condition.

Thanks everyone for your precious input!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default carburater service

assalamoalikum
    boss i suggest you to if you service your car carburater then goes to mehmood
    because he is the one most famous worker of carburater in karachi...other wise i adviced you to not service your carburater or never touch its setting or if really you wana do some sort of changing service your carborater with spray of leaking carburater its easily done by your self....just clean it with constant rpm instructions are pre defined on it..it cost up to 250-300rs and easily avaliable on the car market..!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up Thanks!

@Saadrock
    Walaikum assalaam! Thank you very much for your advice. I was thinking of having carburettor serviced but before doing anything I wanted comments from my friends on Pakwheels. And I would take your advice and confirm everything else before touching the carburettor. Xulfiquar has also suggested that carburettor might be ok but maybe some problem with the ignition electrical circuit. Thank you for your advice!

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List